Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
SUVshopper

Question Mitsubushi 380 - only 951 cars delivered to customers in Oct

[URL=http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17142055%255E664,00.html]

Just wondering whether anyone from Melbourne has ordered a 380 and from which dealer?

SUVshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Thats a pitty. I hope for the sake of keeping a competative market they pick up.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see the media is still magna bashing.

the car has only been "on sale" since 14 October

Not as bad as what the paper is suggesting.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
RATT

Exactly. Awareness of the 380 is still not all that great so it still needs time.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard there goin to recall most 380s becasue there passenger side window breaks when they close the door to hard. It was in the newspaper bout 1 week ago.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
bscampbell

I've only seen one 380 out and about in Bendigo.
On a side note, I haven't seen one of the new Impreza's on the road yet...wonder why!?!
Actually I can't judge it yet because I haven't seen one in the flesh...

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
We must have seen the same one! I've only seen one white one in Bendigo .. a base-model one I think? For a "big" V6 it's exhaust note was very tinny and uninspiring
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
I heard there goin to recall most 380s becasue there passenger side window breaks when they close the door to hard. It was in the newspaper bout 1 week ago.
Thats a problem with the glass manufacturer. They have admitted fault on that. But I thought that it didn't effect any cars that were sold.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
On a side note, I haven't seen one of the new Impreza's on the road yet...wonder why!?!

I've seen five but maybe i'm just biased and keep an eye out. The standard one looks better than the sti too. As for the magna l think in the flesh they are going to be in a bit of strife. Very uninspiring.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
I've actully seen a new Impreza on the Monash F/way. Weird looking from the front but the rear looks OK.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Seen 2 of the new WRX's out locally, but no 380's.. wouldnt mind seeing a 380 to make a real-life judgement on it's looks.. always find cars look diff than in pics..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #12
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Only seen 1 380 out on the streets and that's in adelaide CBD. Was a GT, looked quite nice.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was realeased yesterday that over 400 cars sold had the glass fault and will have to be recaled in the future. I know a person in wagga who bought a 380 and has broken the glass on the passenger door.

Unfortunate thing for mitsubishi considering this car was halled to bring them back into competition with ford and holden.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
supa eb
1995 EF Futura

I saw the police commissioner of WA in a 380 last week. Didn't look too bad at all. Had what looked like a pretty luxurious leather trim on closer inspection. Still had South Australian plates on it though, so it may still be owned by Mitsubishi.
supa eb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #15
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a 380GT in here in Cairns, was a gun metal grey color with dark windows. I was supprised at what a great looking car it was. Shame its a FWD. I still dont think it deserves a GT badge.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
SuperMono

I've seen 4 380s, but three were at airports on display, only 1 on the road.
Looks better in the flesh than the print and TV images I've seen.
Didn't look inside, hopefully up to date.

Broken glass, what do you expect when you haven't setup an accelerated duribility test program yet (well, as far as I'm aware).
SuperMono is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #17
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I would love to see a more competitive market, but I don't think the 380 is going to do it. Its FWD and that's the end of the argument. Toyota couldn't do it with the Avalon which, despite its plain-Jane styling and non-involving drive, is very well built, and a better car than the 380 is ever likely to be. I can't see Mitsubishi succeeding where Toyota, with its manifestly superior marketing clout and public image, has so plainly failed.

What might do it though, is if Chrysler could bring in lower spec versions of the 300 at prices competitive with Falcon XT/Futura & Commodore/Berlina....
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
aualright

Quote:
On the new Impreza....looks like a Daewoo. Perhaps GM influence here..??
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I would love to see a more competitive market, but I don't think the 380 is going to do it. Its FWD and that's the end of the argument. Toyota couldn't do it with the Avalon which, despite its plain-Jane styling and non-involving drive, is very well built, and a better car than the 380 is ever likely to be. I can't see Mitsubishi succeeding where Toyota, with its manifestly superior marketing clout and public image, has so plainly failed.
Look at it this way. The Avalon looks like Sh|te. Seriously. The 380, however looks the goods. It is a nicely built, good looking, well performing car, that doesn't make the owner want to be 80, and a member of the local Bowls Club. The 380 will, after time, sell enough to make MMAL profitable, or atleast make MMAL worthy of making cars in Australia. It may be similar to Ford, Australia making a tidy profit, whilst Mummy and Daddy in the USA are in trouble.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #20
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
The 380 will, after time, sell enough to make MMAL profitable, or atleast make MMAL worthy of making cars in Australia. It may be similar to Ford, Australia making a tidy profit, whilst Mummy and Daddy in the USA are in trouble.
Yes, well we can only hope that this will be the case. There are many Australian workers and their families relying on it.

In my earlier post, where I said "I would love to see a more competitive market, but I don't think the 380 is going to do it. Its FWD and that's the end of the argument", I was referring to the "full size" car market.

The 380's dimensions logically pit it against Falcon and Commodore, but I think the market will see it as a Camry/Mazda 6 competitor. It seems to me that Commodore and Falcon buyers won't be tempted because (a) its FWD, and (b) its a Mitsubishi. And somehow, I can't see it pulling sales from Toyota or Mazda.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #21
SuperMono

Quote:
Its FWD and that's the end of the argument", I was referring to the "full size" car market.
To be honest I don't think many 'average' full size buyers even know you can have different ends of cars making things move. It is very rare for any manufacturer these days to mention which end drives within marketing material.

If the car drives nicely on typical sealed roads, looks OK inside and out, has a reasonable price and is not sunk by poor press it will probably sell OK.

By the way the Avalon was never a better car than a Magna of the same age, it started off close to 5 years older in design in the first place.
SuperMono is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #22
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was referring to the "full size" car market.
As the large car market is currently in decline - it would probably be a good thing to have a medium large car like the new 380, Maxima, Camry and Accord.

And before anyone starts on the "aussies won't drive fwd cars" argument, half the cars on the road are fwds - and this is increasing every day. Additionally, Corolla beat both Falcon and Commodore to be number one in sales for September - god knows whats happened in october.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post