Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry noise when turning the wheel to the right

i have had this problem for a while but have chosen to ignore it but hopefully someone will be able to tell me what it is. everytime i turn the steering wheel to the right i get this like "whistling" type noise like something is rubbing on something and its really annoying. anyone know what it could be?
Also i have made a post on here before about this braking problem i have...as i come to a stop they make this like crumbling noise its kinda hard to explain, i have had the pads looked at and they are fine...

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is the noise coming from the front of the car?

It may be that a wheel bearing is on the way out.

If it is a front wheel bearing, it will be the left.

I've done up a front hub replacement "how to" which has been sent off for inclusion in the Tech Resources section. There's a section in it with regards to wheel bearing diagnosis.

edit: I've pm'd it to you
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh the noise comes from the front and it is on the left side...how much would it cost to get it fixed?
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
yeh the noise comes from the front and it is on the left side...how much would it cost to get it fixed?
If it's confirmed as a wheel bearing you'll note in my pm that the bearings and hub are one unit.

I bought my hubs off ebay @$85ea + freight (type in "au hub" on ebay). Total from memory was $190 for both hubs. Front hubs from Ford were around $135ea or something like that.

For a set up workshop it would take somewhere around an hour per hub.

It's not a difficult job but you may need a wheel puller and you will need a tension wrench capable of 305Nm.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

hrmmm, i have a strange vibration though the steering wheel when turning hard right, after a new rack and intermediate rack it still does it. Watching thing thread closely...
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The vibration/graunching sound is air in your power steer line ... it's common ... I still have it.

You can get rid of it though ... find a decent size empty carpark and drive in tight figure 8 formation (no wheel spin necessary) ...

But it will come back eventually again.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
sheppy

Not taking the mick, but I just had this in my ute the other day.

Check that the push pins that hold the lining in around the wheel arch haven come out/fallen off- I found a ziptie did the trick