Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Been offered a VP Berlina V8...

G'Day all,

Long story short, I have been offered a '93 VP Berlina V8 by a close friend. It was her late fathers car and she doesn't want to go through the selling process, and has just offered it to me for nothing.

It has 300k on the clock, is a white stock as a rock grandpa spec car if i've ever seen one, with weathershields, bonnet and headlight protectors, and a pristine interior. It appears to have been fully optioned too, IRS and ABS and full power windows and mirrors, 15" alloys. Its been a blue mountain car and doesn't appear to have any rust or anything and it seems to come with a file box full of ownership and maintenance documents. (12 months rego too)

I have never personally driven an an injected 5 litre, let alone a VP...... So what are they like?

I have however owned and driven an ED Fairmont and DC LTD with the Ford windsor 5.0 litre, and to be honest wasn't over the moon with their performance. Was the Holden 5.0 any different?

The way I am looking at it..... Its a free car.... I am keen to accept, but if they really are a dog to drive and own in this day and age I'd rather arrange to sell it on her behalf.

But on the other hand, If they are a more lively beast that the Windsor powered Ford of the same era, I might be keen to hang onto it and use it a daily for a while.

What would you do?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default Re: Been offered a VP Berlina V8...

They both had similar performance. Both had 165kws. Holden had 385Nm, Windsor had 388Nm. The Windsor's 388Nm came earlier at 3000rpm, whereas the Holden came in at 3600rpm.

If you weren't happy with the Windsor, you won't be happy with the VP.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They actually go alright... Should be the 165 Kw motor...

Just watch the transmission and electrics in it!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Not a bad car to drive at all

But with 300000km on the clock it wont be setting the world on fire
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what you are after mate. They do go pretty good for the age of car, 20 years old, and the 5.0Ls sound brilliant with an decent exhaust. They chew petrol, but it can be a pretty fun car.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
My32Doors

My wife had one of those when I met her. For the time it went well. Still haven't converted her.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
dannyxm
was danny888

Are you on crack?

Someone is giving you a free car!

If you dont like it, go sell it cheap and make some $ Some Holden nut will always pick it up.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
Are you on crack?

Someone is giving you a free car!

If you dont like it, go sell it cheap and make some $ Some Holden nut will always pick it up.
No crack here mate

Just curious about what such a car will be like.

I see it also has a factory 85 litre tank too....... that'd be an expensive fill!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thye go all right IMHO and if you dont want it theres a 28 chev RPU on the floor of my shed than could use and injected doner

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just what would one expect the fuel economy to be like? Highway/Rural?

Im thinking around 10-11L/100km?

They appear to weigh under 1500kg too, didn't they have a reputation back in the day for nervous handling?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Would keep it. Clean example like that is a keeper IMO. All you will be paying for is running costs and basic insurance, which won't be all that much.

Selling it straight away for your own profit is not a good idea as well.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Would keep it. Clean example like that is a keeper IMO. All you will be paying for is running costs and basic insurance, which won't be all that much.

Selling it straight away for your own profit is not a good idea as well.
I am inclined to agree, It may well be a nice way to get around for a while, cheaply too really. I can appreciate a well kept vehicle as much as the next enthusiast.

But if I do decide to hang onto it, I will definately be compensating my friend in return for her generosity. I believe in karma, so what goes around, comes around.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven one of these, they go ok, more than enough power for me at least. The one I drove had about 170 kays on the clock. Straightline performance is probably about the same as an AU I6. Transmission is rubbish, and the handling is pretty poor too now that you mention it. The power steering is really light so you don't get a whole lot of feedback. The 5 litre sounds great though.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
My32Doors

Quote:
They appear to weigh under 1500kg too, didn't they have a reputation back in the day for nervous handling?
Too right there!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
glavas

Mate its a stock 93 vp with 300000km shes only giving it to you because its a peace of junk that is slow and a death trap. Buy a new v8 if you want fun to drive. My 4 cylinder work hilux would smoke that thing.

Edit::::: v8 or not a stock 5l is like a boat anchor!!!

Last edited by glavas; 04-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
glavas

[QUOTE=calais]I am inclined to agree, It may well be a nice way to get around for a while, cheaply too really. I can appreciate a well kept vehicle as much as the next enthusiast.

But if I do decide to hang onto it, I will definately be compensating my friend in return for her generosity. I believe in karma, so what goes around, comes around

Well thats the beauty of being catholic theres none of this karma junk. Just go to confession feel bad for what youve done and youll get through the pearly gates oh yeah!!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VP V8 with a nice exhaust .. just a nice sounding cruiser. Can't drive "sprited" anyway these days, so might as well either own a car to enjoy the sight .. or in the Holden 5.0L case, the sound.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Id take it for a drive, see if its for you. If not, then help her with a sale
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, go for it, you'll enjoy it. I have driven both the Injected 5L Holden and the 90's Windsors, I actually prefer the Holden 5L. Maybe it's just the fact that the Holdens were 1400kg not 1600kg. But they sound damn good, if you ask me the Holden V8 is the best sounding (stock) injected V8 around.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
AU Mont
Banned

a VP commodore with 300,000kms doesnt sound too fantastic too me

the fact that its free makes the choice easy, but when it inevitably sucks starts to suck money from your pocket id hand it back lol
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Mate its a stock 93 vp with 300000km shes only giving it to you because its a peace of junk that is slow and a death trap. Buy a new v8 if you want fun to drive. My 4 cylinder work hilux would smoke that thing.

Edit::::: v8 or not a stock 5l is like a boat anchor!!!

I highly doubt it. Raced a mate to 80km/h, he was in a 2010 V6 hilux and I was in a 1997 1.5l Proton with over 300,000k's on the clock. Needless to say he was very quiet after the little squirt.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
kinksta
Luxojet

Ugh, take it for a drive. If you like it keep it, if you don't sell it. I don't think it's that hard to decide...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Ugh, take it for a drive. If you like it keep it, if you don't sell it. I don't think it's that hard to decide...
This.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Cúl-Báire

This brings back memories; I had a VP Berlina, V8, full electrics, etc... It was a fantastic car and to be honest one I wish I had never sold (was a cop magnet on my P's though). They were a great car in their day (think cars for the masses), and make a great cruiser, sound fantastic as well!

The agreed V8 is a bit of a boat anchor though! It needs a solid bump up in compression ratio, and the right camshaft with a good tune to liven it up (not unlike the windsor).
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
The agreed V8 is a bit of a boat anchor though! It needs a solid bump up in compression ratio, and the right camshaft with a good tune to liven it up (not unlike the windsor).
I think that sums in up, lets face it its a 19yo car with 19yo engine technology , and with that considered there a great car, if you put it up a current Falcodore theyre chalk and cheese but for what they are they are fine

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 05-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #26
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Those 5ltr commodores are a very spritely car, compared to the equivalent Windsor falcons.

My old man has a VS commodore ute 5ltr.

The commodores have a much shorter 1st gear in the auto, so you'll find it really leaps off the line.

Unlike the BTR auto's which take forever to wind out 1st gear - hence seeming slower than they really are.

I'd get it, fit a single 3inch sports exhaust to it, stir and enjoy.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
G'Day all,

Long story short, I have been offered a '93 VP Berlina V8 by a close friend. It was her late fathers car and she doesn't want to go through the selling process, and has just offered it to me for nothing.

It has 300k on the clock, is a white stock as a rock grandpa spec car if i've ever seen one, with weathershields, bonnet and headlight protectors, and a pristine interior. It appears to have been fully optioned too, IRS and ABS and full power windows and mirrors, 15" alloys. Its been a blue mountain car and doesn't appear to have any rust or anything and it seems to come with a file box full of ownership and maintenance documents. (12 months rego too)

I have never personally driven an an injected 5 litre, let alone a VP...... So what are they like?

I have however owned and driven an ED Fairmont and DC LTD with the Ford windsor 5.0 litre, and to be honest wasn't over the moon with their performance. Was the Holden 5.0 any different?

The way I am looking at it..... Its a free car.... I am keen to accept, but if they really are a dog to drive and own in this day and age I'd rather arrange to sell it on her behalf.

But on the other hand, If they are a more lively beast that the Windsor powered Ford of the same era, I might be keen to hang onto it and use it a daily for a while.

What would you do?
dont wast your time with the car or your friend..

its such a chore to get a "freebee" and from a good "friend"...

you deserve neither!!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden 5lt sounds way better than the farty ford six...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #29
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
if you ask me the Holden V8 is the best sounding (stock) injected V8 around.
I whole heartedly agree, my 2 mates have a EF XR8 with 3in pipes, and a VS Statesman with 3in pipes. The Ford sounds angry when it revs but the Holden just has something about it that is better than the windsor. I know it is just air through pipes, but everytime I hear a aussie 304 take off at the lights, I damn near snap my neck muscles trying to get a glimpse.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The car's nothing special at all, but it is worth it just for what's under the bonnet. The Holden 5 litre is one awesome sounding motor!
Closed Thread