Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
falcon convert

Default Which car is the most Australian

This might be an old topic - if so, please refer me to an existing thread.....
Ford, Holden and Toyota are all manufacturing in Australia. As I understand it they all use (to a greater or lesser extent) a combination of parts manufactured in Australia and parts imported from overseas. It got me thinking, which car/s have the highest % of true blue Australian content. ie. to what extent are our local cars truly local and which ones are the most local. Anyone got any info on this? Or a link to wheer I can check this out?

falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford has the most aussie content followed by Holden and then Toyota. I have no proof but it's mainly common knowledge???
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im led to believe the AU1 Falcon Forte is the most Australian car at %100. Design, manufacture and parts all aussie. meaning it beats the FX holden. Unsure of Fords current offering though.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The window glass for ther AU was made by visteon in China, so its not 100%. But that doesn't get away from the point that the Falcon has the highest local content.

Holden's billion dollar baby has quite a few chinese components in it, around 35 % I believe. Depending on who you talk to its local content ranes between 56-65%
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Camry and Falcon are about the same.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Im led to believe the AU1 Falcon Forte is the most Australian car at %100.
That's both impressive and disappointing at the same time !

I do believe it is Ford then Holden then Turtleota.

Maybe the Elfin would be in there. (in some way)
Old 31-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way was AU 100%. Pretty sure the 6cyl cranks were made in Mexico or something. (still are?)

But that certainly wouldnt have been the only thing.
Remember stuff like sensors, electronics could not have been made here.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I believe thats the reason behind it's AU model designation too. But thats speculative.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Phantom Turbo

Not To mention the Badge aint Aussie haha :

My guess is the Falcon 6cyl.

Previous car-2006 Bf mk2 FPV F6 Typhoon in EGO 6spd Auto
333rwkw on 12psi, Bigger fuel pump, 4' nipzro catback system, injectors, XFT Tune, PW stage 2 intercooler and UB CAI. PB= 12.1s @ 186k
Phantom Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ford has the most aussie content followed by Holden and then Toyota. I have no proof but it's mainly common knowledge???
Didn't Toyota move to second when the VE was introduced.

Either way more and more components is getting imported which is a bit sad.
Old 31-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

VE went to around 55% local content. IIRC, Falcon was almost 80% local content a few years ago but thats likely to have dropped since then. Toyota and Mitsubishi at the time had about 15-20% less local content as well.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
xy500
Constant annoyance

Didn't valiant make the most Australian made car? the charger e49 or something, only non Aussie bit it had were the carbs i heard.
Old 31-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

there is more oz content in local cars than most realise.
all light knob and switches/dash facia are sourced local (smithfield) plasic injection mouldings.
ancillarys, mountig brackets (pentshurst) iron/alloy foundry.
fuel tanks (mordialoc)
alloy wheels were sourced from dragways!!(melb)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
Didn't valiant make the most Australian made car? the charger e49 or something, only non Aussie bit it had were the carbs i heard.
That was in the R/T yes, but I believe the lower spec Chargers were 100% Aussie built but am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
Old 31-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Toyota leads with around 70%, Ford 65%, Holden 58%.
Old 31-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertM
Toyota leads with around 70%, Ford 65%, Holden 58%.
I am amazed that toyota would be building there engines here for the Corolla, Camry, & Aurion as the engine & gearbox would make up 40% of the car alone.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
I am amazed that toyota would be building there engines here for the Corolla, Camry, & Aurion as the engine & gearbox would make up 40% of the car alone.
The Camry 4 Cylinder engine is locally built.

I'd waver to the Camry being the car with the most local content, followed by Falcon, then Aurion, Commodore etc.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There's a lot of number's being thrown around here, but is it just hearsay, who can actually put up the fact's, because this is how rummour's start, people saying what they believe, whether it be true or not, (I heard it from a mate of a mate last week at my sis, boyfriend's cousin's wedding).
Let's see who has the fact's....
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
there is more oz content in local cars than most realise.
all light knob and switches/dash facia are sourced local (smithfield) plasic injection mouldings.
ancillarys, mountig brackets (pentshurst) iron/alloy foundry.
fuel tanks (mordialoc)
alloy wheels were sourced from dragways!!(melb)
That is the case for FORD. HOLDENS fuel tanks are made by NYLEX Edinburgh Park SA.Non HSV mag wheels are chinese, HSV mags are made by ROH Woodville SA. In fact Edinburgh Park SA, is basically a village of suppliers for ALL the OEMS. How do I know this? I pick up their product, 5 days a week in my rig.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
There's a lot of number's being thrown around here, but is it just hearsay, who can actually put up the fact's, because this is how rummour's start, people saying what they believe, whether it be true or not, (I heard it from a mate of a mate last week at my sis, boyfriend's cousin's wedding).
Let's see who has the fact's....
Fair call

Had a similar thread on another forum. I googled the figures a while ago.

There was an article talking about VE and FG that had the figures.
Old 31-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
That is the case for FORD. HOLDENS fuel tanks are made by NYLEX Edinburgh Park SA.Non HSV mag wheels are chinese, HSV mags are made by ROH Woodville SA. In fact Edinburgh Park SA, is basically a village of suppliers for ALL the OEMS. How do I know this? I pick up their product, 5 days a week in my rig.
i wasent shure where the wheel's were made, as of AU/VT era.
as for the dash switches, light's aircon heater controls. my brother inlaw works for a company in smithfield making all holden, ford, toyota's componants.
he a toolsetter/fitter, plastic injection mould milling machine.
as for the ancillary's same company for the last twenty years at penthurst for holden, cant speak for ford/toyota.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ive heard the same. I also heard that the Magna had the most Aussie content through until recently.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

there is a major difference between components getting assembled locally and parts being manufactured from nothing locally. I work for Toyota in parts and know first hand that manufactured parts from Australia are extremly rare in my warehouse...
Old 31-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

This is all very hard to quantify and define.

For example;
Are the exterior panels Aussie because they are stamped here?
What about if what's being stamped is steel from Korea or Japan?

Are the suspension assemblies Aussie because the OEM supplier is right next door?
What about if some (most) of the parts they use in these assemblies comes from Brazil?

It's all very subjective.
Old 31-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yes, % content can be based upon a number of different ways, % number of parts (or assembled components?), % of total cost of the vehicle, % manhours spent on manufacture of the vehicle (can also include design, tooling etc). Figures can be construed to show anything and therefore don't mean much really.

What does matter is whether the vehicle manufacturer is using Australian content to the utmost in its product. Alas, a bit difficult these days due trying to keep the cost of the vehicle down, with the Chinese, Korean etc. competition from both completed cars and components.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #26
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

I doubt that any car ever assembled here in Ostrayleyer can claim to be 100% Oz.

Most, if not all would have some sort of majority link, lineage or filter through from an overseas parent company or manufacturer or supplier.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

valiant was more australian than ford and holden,this was there undoing as they waited so long for a local 4 speed etc etc.they had a great 4 speed and small block six pack engines in the usa and should have used them like ford and holden but they wanted to have more australian content.shame realy cause no one cared and they could have had some exceptionally good cars.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #28
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Appearing before the committee, the Victorian Minister for Manufacturing and Export, Andre Haermeyer, said the sourcing policies of Holden and Ford, in particular, had lowered local component levels.“For example, we understand that with the new Holden model, the VE Commodore, local content is expected to fall from 73 per cent to 56 per cent,” Mr Haermeyer said. “That has already resulted in Victorian companies losing a balance of 14 contracts. As for the local Ford, whilst overall the variation is not expected to be quite as large, we expect in some models the local content will fall from a high of around 90 per cent to as low in some models as 60 per cent.”
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/house_ne...ath28_road.pdf
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The Camry 4 Cylinder engine is locally built.

I'd waver to the Camry being the car with the most local content, followed by Falcon, then Aurion, Commodore etc.
Can you define 'built'?
If its not cast here, al la the I6, and just bolted together can it really claim to be locally built? Same for the Ford V8 & anything from the GM stable.

BTW do they still let you count Advertising towards Australian content?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
Wally
XP Coupe

At best. it seems, we have to rely on the MVPs to tell us their content:

Quote:
Local content levels
3.23 The Committee is concerned that global purchasing models will continue to erode the local content in Australian vehicles. Conservative estimates put the decline in local content at five to six per cent based on known contract losses in 2005 and 200619 although evidence to this inquiry suggested it was much higher.
3.24 There is no longer any reporting of the percentage of local components used in locally produced vehicles and the Committee is surprised by this. While the Committee heard consistent reports of declining local content, the lack of any reporting requirements means this cannot be confirmed through verifiable figures.
3.25 However, as an example, the Committee heard consistent and seemingly reliable evidence that the local components have fallen from over 70 per cent in the previous model to approximately 55 per cent in the new GM Holden VE Commodore.20
3.26 GM Holden disputed these figures stating:
GM Holden does not accept these figures … GM typically does not quote the proportion of local content for a number of reasons, chief among them the great difficulty that exists in identifying a consistent measure. There are also significant competitive sensitivities.21
3.27 The Committee notes GM Holden’s concerns although remains concerned about the implication of the decline in local content on the supply chain.
3.28 Both Ford and Toyota indicated a firm commitment to the local industry and developing local supply chains. This is reflected in the reported levels of local components of around 80 per cent.22
3.29 The Committee was told that the Australian Government Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources has:
made it clear to the car industry that in return for the support the government gives them—and they get a lot of support—he expects the component industry to be given full, fair and reasonable opportunity to supply to them. At the end of the day, it is not something we can force. We cannot enforce levels of local content. That would be something that is not compatible with our World Trade Organisation obligations.23
3.30 The support given to the automotive industry under the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme (ACIS) and subsequent accountability measures are further discussed in Chapter 5.
3.31 The reduction of diversity of local markets for the components industry will lead to the formation of single line supply chains which are not responsive to the changing global marketplace. It was submitted to the Committee by the Australian Manufacturers Workers’ Union (AMWU) that there is a ‘climate of fear based on the complete control that the … [MVPs] have over the component sector within Australia.’24
3.32 The Committee has no evidence regarding any inappropriate actions on the part of MVPs. However, some manufacturers were reticent about speaking to the Committee citing fears of retribution through loss of contracts. The Committee is unable to comment on these issues as, despite intimations of fear and control taking place within the industry, no evidence was received on record.
3.33 The operational capacity of both sectors is so closely integrated that the failure of one part of sector can be felt across the supply chain. Global changes in the automotive industry make it apparent that it is not sustainable for the MVPs to determine the conditions under which the entire Australian industry must work.
3.34 The Committee affirms the importance of a diverse and openly competitive market that recognises connections and responsibilities across

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committe...t/chapter3.pdf
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post