Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Step number one.

GPS speed warning system trialled
A speed-monitoring system for cars and trucks is to be trialled in Victoria, in an effort to improve road safety.

The state's Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is testing GPS technology which warns drivers if they start going over the speed limit.

The TAC's David Healy says there is a possibility the system could be used as a speed-limiting device.

But he says the focus of the trial is on the warning system.

"At this stage, for the purposes of demonstration and trialling, we're looking really at the advisory system.

"We're still just examining how a speed-limiting system may in fact work but, at this stage we think it'd be much more acceptable to provide advice and to assist the driver to stay within the speed limits."

The chief executive of the Australian Trucking Association, Stuart StClair, says the association is concerned about speed-limiting research.

He says taking remote control of heavy vehicles can be dangerous.

"Any third party interference with the driving on road performance of a motor vehicle would worry us considerably and we would need to see what is actually proposed," Mr StClair said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...6/s1950289.htm

A few month ago I spoke (wrote) of a new GPS system that has the ability to use hot spots around the country to report traffic infringments as they happen. The fines are then despatched via the post to your letter box.

Well this is step one. This trial will prove that the devices are capable of knowing where they are and what the posted speed limit is. I have heard that the full system will operational within 5 years. The devices will be mandatory equipment in all vehicles. I expect alot of flack for posting this, but hey, I dont care.... We will see in a few years.....

Old 14-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I hope your wrong but unless we start to show these governments that this is not acceptable in a big way.....
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Major invasion of privacy, and I very much doubt they will make it mandatory in all vehicles.

I wouldn't mind seeing it installed in long-haul trucks and the like, but having something telling someone where I am at all times, I don't know that I like that. Not because I have stuff to hide, but just because its too "big brother" spying, I don't like the idea.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Steve
torque is your friend

It's been said before, we Australians just take whatever is dished out to us. We need to stand up and fight this. It has no place on cars OR trucks.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
It's been said before, we Australians just take whatever is dished out to us. We need to stand up and fight this. It has no place on cars OR trucks.

I agree 100%.

The only positive I can see to this is finding your car if it gets pinched lol
Old 14-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
1600GT

i dont think u'll get any flack 'outbackjack', its the gov that will get it.
thanks for posting too.

personally, i'd like to see them get owners of rare older cars (the phase 3 springs to mind...) to chop into their cars for this thing.
while i dont own a phase 3, or any rare ford for that matter, i do own a few very rare cars that are increasing in value, and i'll be stuffed if i'll be drilling holes to mount crap like that, cutting into wiring looms, and whatever else, even tho my cars are worth probably 1% of a big dollar GT...

another thing is who will pay for each unit?
i damn sure the gov wont, and will expect each and every one of us to pay for our own...

my opinion... this idea will go the way of the 'get old cars off the road' bull of a few years ago, simply because of the logistical nightmare it will create, and that some car owners dont have the money put even put fuel in the tank anymore, let alone a GPS device.

my 2c anyway.
cheers.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They can get ****** if they think I'm going to pay for that either if it becomes reality :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The thinking of the Gov of today is to attach the cost onto rego and spread it over 4 years. Only authorized installers will be authorized to do the work. No GPS = no rego = no more driving.
Old 14-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
The thinking of the Gov of today is to attach the cost onto rego and spread it over 4 years. Only authorized installers will be authorized to do the work. No GPS = no rego = no more driving.
Well lets hope some smart bugger figures out a way to stuff the signal around then :

I hate this **** :(

Can we please have a government which chooses to use their brain. Oh wait that would mean less money :
Old 14-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
another thing is who will pay for each unit?
i damn sure the gov wont, and will expect each and every one of us to pay for our own...

my opinion... this idea will go the way of the 'get old cars off the road' bull of a few years ago, simply because of the logistical nightmare it will create, and that some car owners dont have the money put even put fuel in the tank anymore, let alone a GPS device.
As has been proven, if Bracks can see a dollar in it, he'll do it. If the federal election goes the way it looks like it will and we have an all Labour government (state and federal), it'll be far easier to get across the board agreement to mandate car makers to install these systems in all new cars. From there, they'll offer incentives (read higher rego costs if you choose not to) to have the systems retro fitted to older cars. A logistal nightmare can look like a pleasant nap if there's enough financial gain at the end.
Old 14-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
1600GT

Quote:
A logistal nightmare can look like a pleasant nap if there's enough financial gain at the end.
honestly, 1 of the 'true-est' (if there is a word!) things ive read on here in ages.
the dollar will rule supreme.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
As has been proven, if Bracks can see a dollar in it, he'll do it. If the federal election goes the way it looks like it will and we have an all Labour government (state and federal), it'll be far easier to get across the board agreement to mandate car makers to install these systems in all new cars. From there, they'll offer incentives (read higher rego costs if you choose not to) to have the systems retro fitted to older cars. A logistal nightmare can look like a pleasant nap if there's enough financial gain at the end.
I dont think that the flavour of the federal gov will make any difference. As has been seen before if one state decides to force a inclusion of of certain piece of safety equipment then all states just follow suit. The thing is, even though this is a VIC gov initiative the equipment will work all over Australia. The gps devices can store up data (fines) until it sees a freindly hot spot to report in. It will be a real time black box....
Old 14-06-2007, 01:35 AM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

If I had one of those I reckon there's a high chance it'd fall out in an undercover carpark somewhere.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
If I had one of those I reckon there's a high chance it'd fall out in an undercover carpark somewhere.
Followed by taking an axe to it, doused in petrol and set off with a match
Old 14-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Try it around the city!! While doing about 45-50 this morning down Spencer St my GPS was giving readings in the range 40-80. They rely on line-of-sight and driving through a city they can bounce all over the place. I have had readings of over 200kph while almost stopped!
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #16
andrewts
White Car Driver

As if there aren't already enough speed cameras in Vic, the last thing you need is this rubbish.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Not really worried, some technology guru will be able to manipulate it to the point where i wont need to have it.. Of course this is based on whether it is going to happen!

I can't see many people actually agreeing to this, especially if it involves high costs. Maybe to compensate they can reduce petrol prices :
Old 14-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
x2. If a European Government tried to implement this, parliament house would be set alight. In Aus we simply bend over and take it..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Outbackjack says, "this is the first step".
The final step is that this system does away with speed cameras and the like and provides the governments with a finacial bonanza.

Think about it; there are a limited number of speed cameras around cities catching some poor sods exeeding the "limit" by a few kms (in most cases). Imagine the government having the capability of blanket coverage of every vehicle! Drivers would have to become zombies or be millionairs to pay the fines. It could even affect the car building industry as drivers become too bored with driving and walk or catch the bus.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it would be implemented. They would need uninterrupted access to satellites for the GPS to work correctly and that just ain't gonna happen. Too many things around the place such as buildings and such. It would probably just take something as simple as a bit of alfoil over the antennae for it to stop working.
What about overcast days and thunderstorms? Just wouldn't be reliable enough IMO.
Old 14-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I dont think that the flavour of the federal gov will make any difference. As has been seen before if one state decides to force a inclusion of of certain piece of safety equipment then all states just follow suit. The thing is, even though this is a VIC gov initiative the equipment will work all over Australia. The gps devices can store up data (fines) until it sees a freindly hot spot to report in. It will be a real time black box....
I agree it wouldn't really matter which "flavour" of government was in. My comment was more in regards to the ease of having a state initiative introduced nationally with the SAME flavour of government across the board. Having said that though, the Bracks government do seem to get rabid whenever they get wind of a new way of extracting funds from the motorist.
Old 14-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problem is soon as the GPS aerial looses site of the sky the GPS system is useless.

Also the US Defence controls most of the GPS satellites after all it's there system, and all they need to do is put the sat clocks out but ****** all (Like during a war, as why would they want there enemy to have a accurate GPS system) and your unit will give false readings. thus why GPS is not able to be used as the sole method of navigation in aviation cause it's not 100% solid.

So in reality this idea is about as reliable as speed cameras, must be why the Vic government is looking into it.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #23
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

side cutters anyone...

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #24
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
I hope your wrong but unless we start to show these governments that this is not acceptable in a big way.....
It doesn't matter who's in power, if it's going to bring in revenue they'll adopt it.
Who evere's in opposition will criticise it, and if they get in they won't change it back.
Old 16-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #25
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Why can't the govt leave us alone to make a living ourselves.. bl00dy revenue raising.. No arguments.... That's a fact... revenue.... We're all criminals according to them..
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #26
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll move accross the sea and live in the land of sheep rooters before i cop that! Its so right about us Australians just bending over and copping whatever is put before us though. If we were in a european or worse, a middle eastern country we'd overthrow the government over crap like this. How much more violation of our rights and privacy do we have to put up with before something is done?!! And once they implement this, it'd be 50 times harder to get rid of. Like the GST, Fixed Speed Cameras, and workplace reforms, there would be no going back. For the massive amounts of money that would need to be spent on rolling out the system, no government could justify the loss of revenue and waste of money spent setting the system up to go back.

Honestly, if this system was to be implemented, half the people on the road would lose their license in the first 2 weeks. I know i would! How many times do you look down at your speedo and realise you're going 3kph over the limit rolling down a hill, or overtake a car on a country highway and very briefly exceed the speed limit?

And i also think speed limiting is a bloody stupid idea. Its bad enough in a truck. I was sitting behind a car the other day that was doing 90 - 93kmh, pulled out to overtake it just out of swan hill, speed limiter cuts in at 101kmh, car sped up while i was out, i was on the wrong side of the road for about 3km to get past. 5km down the road they had slowed down again and were a dot in the mirror. In my opinion it'd just be dangerous sometimes.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
x2. If a European Government tried to implement this, parliament house would be set alight. In Aus we simply bend over and take it..
I agree. Australians are too apathetic to stop this from happening, have we stoped any other of the devices they decide to implement like fixed cameras or mobile cameras?whats the difference with this one.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The thin end of the wedge part 6;

They will start with the so called 'Hoons' the on to P platers "They can't vote whilst waiting for thier P's. Then just keep rolling it out. Any body doubt this.

The Vic police proudly announced this week that they have impounded the 2,000th vehicle for hooning. It wan't that long ago when the cops used to have some tollerance for appropriate speeding., or that deemed not too inappropriate.

Now they want to GPS track us. The NSW govt has put forward many times that they track every heavy vehicle (Truck) in the state with GPS . They will get it eventually probably as a trade off for high load limits or something..

Scandavia has a form of Black box recorder in all cars sold. Have an accident download the data. So the technology is there. We need to be strong and squash this fast, and punish, by vote and govt of any type labour or liberal that wants to introduce such legislation.

This (GPS concept) is effectively a monitor in case you might break the law.
Think about this, who doesn't speed whilst overtaking a semi? You are all catching the bus. Maybe those that don't go anywhere might survive but professional drivers would love this. Travelling 150,000 km per annum would equate to no licence in 6 weeks

What next a register of steak knives!!!

Outbackjack, I don't know where you got your mail from but the civil libertarians would be mighty interested, and for one would be willing to stand up and be counted against this.

I
Old 17-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Easy way out is to REFUSE to do it,but a hanful wont do it,a great many people will have to stand up,cut the damn things out,whatever.
If they cant police it they will give up.
Personally I would like to make polly's responsible for there crap even after they retire,instead of getting cushy consulting jobs from those that they benefit,there lives should be made a living hell,maybe than the next will ask before acting,not just place strategic articles in a newspaper and claim a mandate.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post