Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default FPV confirms new V8 for 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
Ford’s alloy ‘Coyote’ V8 set to ignite ‘fast Falcon’ FPV next year
25 August 2009
By RON HAMMERTON
FORD Performance Vehicles (FPV) will go back to basics with an all-Falcon-based performance-car range powered by an all-new V8 engine and a heavily revised version of the Australian-bred inline turbo six when an upgraded series arrives in July next year.

The company this week confirmed that it had killed plans for an FPV-badged, high-performance version of the Ford Focus after Ford Australia reversed its decision to build the small car locally from 2011.

It also ruled out another SUV experiment with an FPV version of the turbocharged Ford Territory after the F6X failed to ignite customer passions and was recently discontinued.

FPV general manager Rod Barrett summed up the company’s direction by saying: “We are into building fast Falcons.”

Mr Barrett confirmed that a new V8 was in the pipeline to replace the current Boss 5.4-litre engine for the facelifted range from mid-2010.

He declined to confirm details of the new engine and would not be drawn on speculation that it would be taken from Ford’s new high-performance V8 program being developed under the ‘Coyote’ codename for a range of Ford’s US models, including the Mustang.

“It won’t be the same engine (as the current Boss 5.4),” he said. “But that’s all we are saying about it.”

From top: The FPV F6 E, Ford Focus RS and FPV F6X.

The 2011 Mustang’s 5.0-litre version of the double overhead camshaft all-alloy Coyote V8 is said to develop 298kW of power and 542Nm of torque, but larger iterations – up to 5.8 litres with up to 335kW of power – are reported to be under development.

FPV’s current Boss V8 develops 315kW of power at 6500rpm and 551Nm of torque at 4750rpm.

But this locally assembled engine will not meet the stricter new emissions regulations that become mandatory from July 1, 2010, and falls short of HSV’s revised LS3 6.2-litre V8, which from next month will punch out at least 320kW in the facelifted E Series 2, which was revealed to HSV dealers in Melbourne this week and will be publicly revealed next month.

Mr Barrett was at pains to point out that powertrain development for the next FPV range included both six-cylinder and V8 engines, with emphasis on meeting the new Euro IV emissions restrictions while pursuing performance targets.

He confirmed that the six-cylinder engine would be Australian – a reworking of the current inline six reprieved recently when Ford had a change of heart and decided to keep it in production at Geelong for the foreseeable future.

The new range will get exterior body changes, but not a wholesale makeover.

“It will be evolution, not revolution, for us next year,” Mr Barrett said. “It’s no secret that we need to change the aesthetics of our car – it has been a few years since we did so.”

But buyers should not expect dramatic aerodynamic aids, with Mr Barrett hinting that prominent wings would be out.

He pointed to the success of FPV’s new, more subtle entries such as the executive-express F6 E and GT E as evidence of performance-car customer trends.

Mr Barrett poured cold water on speculation that a new-generation GTHO was in the pipeline, saying it remained his personal dream, not a reality.

“We are not prepared to even think about it until we have all the hardware, all the finance and everything else we need in place to do it properly,” he said. “We would never do it as a limited-edition, as that would never do it justice.”

However, Mr Barrett did not rule it out completely, saying: “I would love to do it in 2011 because that would be the 40th anniversary of when Allan Moffat won Bathurst in one.”

Mr Barrett said that with respect to any GTHO program, he had been a “keen spectator” of rival HSV’s $215,000 7.0-litre 427 flagship, which fell short of sales expectations, selling 137 units.

“I would hate to think we were putting a car as expensive as that on the market,” he said. “A GTHO would have to be an Aussie car for Aussie buyers.”

Mr Barrett said an FPV version of the Focus was off the agenda after Ford cancelled local production plans for the global small car. He said modifying imported cars was unprofitable for FPV, so no four-cylinder FPV Focus would be forthcoming.

Mr Barrett said his company had toyed with the idea of bringing in the German-built Ford Focus RS (Rallye Sport), which in Europe is a turbocharged competitor for hot hatches such as the Civic Type R and Vauxhall Astra VXR, which is imported into Australia in small numbers by HSV.

But Mr Barrett said the business case did not stack up, and the project had never been seriously pursued.

“So we are going straight down the Falcon line now,” he said.

Despite the development of a new direct-injection LPG E-Gas Falcon for launch in 2010, Mr Barrett ruled out following HSV into alternative fuels in the short term, but said such options would be considered in future.

He also said FPV would keep its powder dry on any response to HSV’s new E2 range until FPV launched its 2010 models in July next year.

He said the forthcoming limited-edition FPV GS had not been designed as “an HSV fighter” and, even though the launch timing was the same, it was coincidental.

Details of the GS were revealed on the internet by an over-enthusiastic dealer after a special preview recently, causing some pain for FPV but also causing a rush of buyer enquiry.

Ford has denied the GS is a long-term replacement for Ford’s Falcon XR8, but it seems to have left the door open for such a move in future if Ford decides to drop V8s from its regular line-up and leave the market to FPV.

Ford Australia communications manager Sinead McAlary said the GS had been designed only as an FPV limited-edition, and that it was too early to discuss future model strategy.

FPV will be hoping for a sales fillip from the special edition to help it towards its sales target of just under 2000 units this year – down just three per cent on last year’s 2085 units – but only about half the volume of HSV.

However, Mr Barrett said 2009 had not turned out as bad as feared when his company was going over its sales projections at the end of the last year.

“If someone had told me back then that we would do close to 2000 cars this year I would have jumped for joy,” he said.

Mr Barrett said the growing success of the force-fed six-cylinder F6 had been responsible for helping sustain FPV sales in a depressed car market, and it now accounted for almost a third of FPV sales.

The overall sales split between six-cylinder and V8 powertrains at FPV is now about 60/40 in favour of the V8, but the gap is currently closing.

FPV recently extended its six-cylinder reach with the addition of the $79,740 F6 E, a more luxurious, more subtle version of the turbo sedan, aimed at the executive market.

He said the federal government’s 50 per cent tax break for business purchases had also helped to drive up FPV ute sales.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25761D0031161D

Last edited by R-Design; 25-08-2009 at 10:34 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

No mention of the charged 8 we were all hoping for??
Old 25-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
No mention of the charged 8 we were all hoping for??
If you had almost 12 months of selling 5.4's would you mention it? Roll on 2010, it's going to be a corker.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Mr Barrett said that with respect to any GTHO program, he had been a “keen spectator” of rival HSV’s $215,000 7.0-litre 427 flagship, which fell short of sales expectations, selling 137 units.
Um, yeah.

If you're going to put words in people's mouths, at least make them the right ones.
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

it could be a typo, but seriously this whole article makes for very interesting reading.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Disappointing about the RS not coming here.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
True, it would be such a small volume but god it would be worth it. As for a business case they already have the focus, so it would be only RS specific stuff they would need to stock etc.

So coyote is 298 standard, BOSS is 315 now, you would imagine that we would get atleast the 5.8 version which is a marketers wet dream.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
\So coyote is 298 standard, BOSS is 315 now, you would imagine that we would get atleast the 5.8 version which is a marketers wet dream.
298 will be for the XR8 or possibly even detuned. FPV will hopefully get the rumoured supercharged version of the 5.0l
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
True, it would be such a small volume but god it would be worth it. As for a business case they already have the focus, so it would be only RS specific stuff they would need to stock etc.

So coyote is 298 standard, BOSS is 315 now, you would imagine that we would get atleast the 5.8 version which is a marketers wet dream.
298 standard, but with fpv softwear who knows.
but i dont think they will go backwards in the KW department.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

There is a lot of guessing in this article. A lot of this guessing is wrong.
Old 26-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Agreed, I had that badboy penciled in for a replacement of Mums company car (XR5T) and would have enjoyed a hoot or two in the RS.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barrett
Mr Barrett said the growing success of the force-fed six-cylinder F6 had been responsible for helping sustain FPV sales in a depressed car market.

The overall sales split between six-cylinder and V8 powertrains at FPV is now about 60/40 in favour of the V8, but the gap is currently closing.
Good to see the six is holding its own, although with a forced factory V8 coming I can see the turbo six struggling for FPV sales...it will come down to pricing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I guess your right....lol.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
It is journalism 101 - if you don't know the facts, just make them up.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #14
CFOUR
The Destroyer

They better have a blown engine in the pipes. I'm already looking for some room to park one.
Old 26-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #15
Gum6y
Gum6y

A new V8, FPV committing themselves to the Falcon its all good really. fingers crossed for the supercharged 5.0L over the 5.8L.

Santa might be really generous end of 2010!!!!

Build thread Here

2012 BMW M3 4.0 V8 414 HP 8,400 rpm redline
Gum6y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

All I can say is :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only ever read of this "5.8 Coyote V8" speculated by Australian media. So unless they have reason to believe Ford Australia is working on stroking it. I don't believe that rumor has any substance whatsoever. If the Premium 6.2 V8 did not exist/ was cancelled, I would be inclined to believe it. So perhaps it was a considered alternative when the Hurricane/Boss 6.2 got put on hold. So my guess is that FPV will supercharge the 5.0 V8. And the lineup will be something like:
XR8 - 5.0 V8 300kw/540Nm
FPV GS - 320kw/560Nm
FPV GT/GTP (supercharged) 375kw/625Nm (because I think it will be similar to the XF-R output).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Am I the only one that thinks a blown V8 standard is not such a great move?

I dont know, surely its going to raise the costs, id prefer them to hold the s/c'd version for a "GTHO" and just have a tweek n/a for the rest of the range.

AMG went down the s/c route and now seem to be going back to big cube high tec n/a setups.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I dont know, surely its going to raise the costs, id prefer them to hold the s/c'd version for a "GTHO" and just have a tweek n/a for the rest of the range.

AMG went down the s/c route and now seem to be going back to big cube high tec n/a setups.
a) AMG have gone back to N/A for reliability/durability reasons as their cars are USED allot as off road performance vehicles...
b) There wont be a GTHO
c) S/C V8 makes perfect sense for regular production street driven performance vehicles. It doesn't fit with the "intent" of what a "GTHO" is: e.g: See AMG's direction.

Old 26-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Interesting times ahead. I am also curious if Ford will have different Coyote displacements between the XR8 (or whatever the future model name will be) and the FPV cars. My hunch, just like the Boss motors is that they will have similar cc's for production purposes. I also bet that it will be greater than 5.0L and for marketing purposes probably greater than 5.4L.
Old 26-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
a) AMG have gone back to N/A for reliability/durability reasons as their cars are USED allot as off road performance vehicles...
b) There wont be a GTHO
c) S/C V8 makes perfect sense for regular production street driven performance vehicles. It doesn't fit with the "intent" of what a "GTHO" is: e.g: See AMG's direction.
While I understand you maximize your investment when sharing parts throughout your range lets just stick to performance sedans like the C63 for a sec. FPV killed the F6X pretty quickly, and it was a 6 anyway.

a) thats my point, completely off topic but how many s/ced sedans are there that are used for circuit track days/racing. Drags yes, but I would have thought track stuff was more inline with FPV's philosophy since they offer it with new FPV purchases; you dont get a drag day session at calder.

b) who cares what its called, as long as there is something

c) I assume that comment is inline with my response to a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Interesting times ahead. I am also curious if Ford will have different Coyote displacements between the XR8 (or whatever the future model name will be) and the FPV cars. My hunch, just like the Boss motors is that they will have similar cc's for production purposes. I also bet that it will be greater than 5.0L and for marketing purposes probably greater than 5.4L.
From a historical point of view it couldn't get any better than being 5.8 :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets hope they drop the weight a bit when they bring these engines in
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While I understand you maximize your investment when sharing parts throughout your range lets just stick to performance sedans like the C63 for a sec. FPV killed the F6X pretty quickly, and it was a 6 anyway.

a) thats my point, completely off topic but how many s/ced sedans are there that are used for circuit track days/racing. Drags yes, but I would have thought track stuff was more inline with FPV's philosophy since they offer it with new FPV purchases; you dont get a drag day session at calder.

b) who cares what its called, as long as there is something

c) I assume that comment is inline with my response to a

From a historical point of view it couldn't get any better than being 5.8 :
FPV build street performance vehicles, hence why IMO a S/C 5.0l V8 is a good fit.
A "GTHO" (which wont happen) would have a track orientation (think W427) and would most likely need to be N/A... (AMG's thought process)..
Read between the lines with RB's comments about observing the W427 result...
Again as many have alluded to FPV's new motors are 5.0L....

Old 26-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
FPV build street performance vehicles, hence why IMO a S/C 5.0l V8 is a good fit.
A "GTHO" (which wont happen) would have a track orientation (think W427) and would most likely need to be N/A... (AMG's thought process)..
Read between the lines with RB's comments about observing the W427 result...
Again as many have alluded to FPV's new motors are 5.0L....
Hmm well then perhaps I need glasses, or my guesses and assumptions (lets face it thats what most of us are working with) are off the mark.

To me, common sense would suggest that yes the 5.0 will be used across the range. But, why would the bulk of your sales use a more expensive and complicated engine, wouldn't you leave that for the low volume models.

An example from the US would be the regular mustangs (n/a), and the low volume model being the GT500 (s/c).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
To me, common sense would suggest that yes the 5.0 will be used across the range. But, why would the bulk of your sales use a more expensive and complicated engine, wouldn't you leave that for the low volume models.
I was under the strong impression that all the V8s had the 5 litre engine and all were being S/C'd including the XR8. - same supercharger, just with different setups. Three levels for 3 cars - XR8, GT and the car that is on again/off again.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
I was under the strong impression that all the V8s had the 5 litre engine and all were being S/C'd including the XR8. - same supercharger, just with different setups. Three levels for 3 cars - XR8, GT and the car that is on again/off again.

GT
That's my "understanding", 3 levels of 5.0l..

The "on again off again" car (GTHO) if definitely OFF, im not even convinced it was ever seriously "ON".
Instead i think we'll end up with something above GT/GT-P/E that's special but not as hard core as what a GTHO would need to be.
I see both as very different and not the same at all..

Old 26-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
That's my "understanding", 3 levels of 5.0l..

The "on again off again" car (GTHO) if definitely OFF, im not even convinced it was ever seriously "ON".
Instead i think we'll end up with something above GT/GT-P/E that's special but not as hard core as what a GTHO would need to be.
I see both as very different and not the same at all..
4Vman - I think we have just found 'middle ground!' : All good and I now have a picture quite clear in my head - thanks.

Regards
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
4Vman - I think we have just found 'middle ground!' : All good and I now have a picture quite clear in my head - thanks.

Regards
GT
no probs!!

Old 26-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:

Well Said, highlighted many a time, fact is never revealed till after the event
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Even though AMG have gone back to N/A, a lot of Euros are using are are foing to start using FI. Rumours are the next M5 will be a TT V8 and the M X5 and X6 will be using a TT set up.

I agree that a S/C would be better suited to a premium FPV vehicle rather than standard across the range.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post