Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default 2 new issues with LV TDCI Focus???

Has anyone experienced this??

1) After a drive the engine does a shake before it's turned off. Has happened a few times before but the last time it was quite noticeable and felt very wrong. It felt the same as if you were to turn off a manual car by popping the clutch in gear. (It's auto).

2) The volume control behind the wheel. Each single press of the button makes it jump several notches. I pressed - last time and volume went from 13 to 4 on it's own. Pressed the + sign once and it went up to 12. Doesn't happen all the time :(

Other times, 1 press moves the volume number 1 digit.

Thanks

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2 new issues with LV TDCI Focus???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

1) After a drive the engine does a shake before it's turned off. Has happened a few times before but the last time it was quite noticeable and felt very wrong. It felt the same as if you were to turn off a manual car by popping the clutch in gear. (It's auto).

2) The volume control behind the wheel. Each single press of the button makes it jump several notches. I pressed - last time and volume went from 13 to 4 on it's own. Pressed the + sign once and it went up to 12. Doesn't happen all the time :(

Thanks
1) Mine does this all the time, I think its a diesel thing because our Mercedes Sprinters do it at work as well and my mates diesel Courier. Shakes the entire car when it turns off is what you mean? If you want to feel very wrong, stall it in first gear if yours is manual haha, its horrible.

2) I haven't noticed that on mine, if you press the volume buttons it only goes up by one or down by one, I'd get that checked out.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

The shake happens to mine sometimes, maybe 1 in 15 trips.

The volume thing sounds like a sticky button or faulty unit, definitely an issue.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
The shake happens to mine sometimes, maybe 1 in 15 trips.

The volume thing sounds like a sticky button or faulty unit, definitely an issue.
About as often as mine does it. I'm trying to get the volume problem on film but of course every time I have the camera rolling it decides to play ball.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I had a similar issue with my GT TDI VW Golf, as I understand it can be caused by a few things - the DMF (dual mass flywheel) carbon deposit build up in intake manifold, soft engine mountings. I'm not 100% sure that the Focus is fitted with a DMF either but if it is, it's not uncommon and unless it gets really bad it would probably be classified as normal and acceptable, the intake manifold carbon deposit build up is a distinct possibility especially if the car is fitted with a DPF, it's well documented on the VWWatercooled forum where I used to post and has several threads showing the amount of build up and before and after pics As far as the audio issue goes I agree with others sounds like the buttons must be sticking it probably needs contacts cleaned, if it's still under warranty have the dealer look at it

Last edited by Russ; 24-10-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Thanks
Finally got it on video. Peeved off that there is a patch of light right across the middle of the display but you can still see the problem.

Will call the dealer to get that looked at as it could be an expensive fix out of warranty. They need a second go at stopping my boot from flooding as well it seems after the heavy rains....

Old 24-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Finally got it on video. Peeved off that there is a patch of light right across the middle of the display but you can still see the problem.

Will call the dealer to get that looked at as it could be an expensive fix out of warranty. They need a second go at stopping my boot from flooding as well it seems after the heavy rains....

The boot leaking is supposed to be a common problem and is supposedly fixed by resealing around the tail lights, If you haven't already had that done then that's another warranty job to add to the list, the volume control issue must be to do with contacts in the control module, just for interest try tapping on the module when the volume starts climbing or descending and see if it stops it :(

Last edited by Russ; 24-02-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
The boot leaking is supposed to be a common problem and is supposedly fixed by resealing around the tail lights, If you haven't already had that done then that's another warranty job to add to the list, the volume control issue must be to do with contacts in the control module, just for interest try tapping on the module when the volume starts climbing or descending and see if it stops it :(
They already tried to seal the boot once. Thought they did it properly till I loaned the car to a friend while we were away OS for 7 weeks.

Got the car back sparkling clean with 2 litres of water in the boot. Assumed they may have used a pressure washer and just removed the water and left it at that. (Didn't want to ask them incase they thought they were somehow to blame for it).

Left the car out a few nights in heavy rain and found another 2 litres in the spare wheel boot. Seems to only enter from the rear drivers side lights.

Can't actually see any physical sealing when I got it back the first time... assumed it was under the actual light fitting. Will def be asking more questions the 2nd time around.

Volume control... tapping it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Either way, it shouldn't happen so i'm glad I have it on video as last time I mentioned it they had a WTF look on their face and told the the buttons work as they should.

Cheers
Old 25-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mine has a rough idle, and it shakes the whole car if you hold it at around 1000 RPM in neutral while you're stopped.

It only seems to emerge after 50km of driving and the engine is well warmed up, let it sit there with the aircon on and it gets worse.

Another issue I have is with the seat, in the morning, its fine, no issues, on the way home from work it creaks, cracks and makes all sorts of noises while driving it, mainly when you move or change gears, the motion of moving forwards/backwards in the seat makes the noises.

Oh, and the aircon sucks massive balls, but its better than my Fiesta, so I think its just a Euro Ford thing.

Other than those issues, not much to complain about really, though the Fiesta has held up to the test of time a little better, but its got issues with the window switches falling out of the trims.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post