Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Lawwa
Starter Motor

Default Let the ST modding commence!!!

Well, we've had our ST for 2 weeks now so it's time for the changes to start. She is currently in the dealership having a Clarion in-roof DVD player fitted and we get her back tomorrow.

However, bigger changes are afoot. Winging it's way form Pumaspeed in the UK is a non-res Milltek Catback exhaust, Bluefin and a K&N X-STREAM air filter. Also on their way are black and orange gel badges, new wheel centres in black and orange and new inlays for the front and rear ST badges.

I cannot fault the service from Pumaspeed - it's been immaculate! The exhaust, bluefin and filter were ordered yesterday and should be here on Friday (Monday latest) via Fed-Ex.

"Passes everything but petrol stations!!"
Lawwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
aratic

Default Re: Let the ST modding commence!!!

Interested to hear if the parts arrived ok and have you had them installed yet? I'd also be interested to know what the preloaded tunes on the SCT are (i.e. stock, 95 and 98 octane?)

Just had a good look on the Pumaspeed website, they have some decent ST goodies on there
aratic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I actually know an importer for pumaspeed here in QLD.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Lawwa
Starter Motor

The parts arrived within 6 days of being ordered - all well packaged and perfect The exhaust is fitted and fabulous. it has just enough growl under acceleration but idles nice and quietly.
The Bluefin map is great too. Easy to upload using the handset (first time also requires the laptop as it activates the warranty at the same time whilst storing your original ECU info with Superchips (handy if your handset got stolen for example)).
We seriously cannot fault the service from Pumaspeed at all.

With regard to their being a supplier in QLD - I'd advise you ask their price and then contact Pumaspeed direct to see what they'd charge. It could save you a few bucks.

Old 14-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Lawwa
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratic View Post
Interested to hear if the parts arrived ok and have you had them installed yet? I'd also be interested to know what the preloaded tunes on the SCT are (i.e. stock, 95 and 98 octane?)

Just had a good look on the Pumaspeed website, they have some decent ST goodies on there
With regards to this, you upload your ECU details to Superchips and they then send you a map via email based on the info you've sent them. As you continue to modify the car (CAIS etc) you let them know and they will email you a new map FOR FREE (beware of those you like to charge you for upgraded maps!!). Upload that onto the handset and onto your car. Jobs a good 'un!

Old 14-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Have already asked. The price is very similar, as I asked about a diff.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Joshuast

Are you referring to the latest ST? Why would anyone make it go any quicker, the thing is death on wheels. Its already faster than most turbocharged sports cars? I've raced nearly every v8 iv seen and the ST shaft over them, other than a 6.8L bi-turbo marc C.
Joshuast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuast View Post
Are you referring to the latest ST? Why would anyone make it go any quicker, the thing is death on wheels. Its already faster than most turbocharged sports cars? I've raced nearly every v8 iv seen and the ST shaft over them, other than a 6.8L bi-turbo marc C.
Because you will think its a donkey in 6 months..
I also call shens on fastest than most others.. its quick but not that quick.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That made me laugh. Bit of an exaggeration I reckon. My XR5 will keep a standard ST honest I can assure you that.

Anyway looking forward to the results of the mods.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Joshuast

I traded my 2010 XR5 in for the ST and I did notice some difference in acceleration, speed and handling. You see, anyone who has gone from and XR5 to an ST will notice that the ST feels slow at high speeds. The crazy thing about the ST is that it actually wants to hammer the corner at high speed because of its electric power and vector steering. Until anyone has tested both (at their full potential) then you have nothing on the ST. HAHAHA
Old 16-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I know the ST is quick but it sure as hell isn't as quick as you let on. Was your XR5 standard? I hate comparing modded cars next to standard ones but I'm pretty my car will keep a standard ST within reach, but once the ST has a few mods it will well and truly leave me behind. But at least I will sound better doing it
That said I will probably do the same and move to a new ST at years end.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
aratic

Quote:
:rolleyes:

I hardly think you can call the ST quick compared to other 'turbocharged sports cars'. Should probably pop that bubble your living in
Old 17-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Joshuast

There are literally only a few on the road. Have you driven one?
Old 17-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
aratic

Sorry but what does it matter how many there are on the road as to how 'fast' they are? They aren't even the fastest car in their class.

Yeah, I drove one about half an our before I put a deposit down on one. Don't get me wrong, they are a brilliant car and I can't wait for mine to arrive, but I think your a but deluded about their performance
Old 17-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Lawwa
Starter Motor

Quote:
There are literally only a few on the road. Have you driven one?
I have owned an XR5 and now this ST, and I assure you that whilst the extra 25bhp is noticeable, it by no means makes it the fastest one out there. That's just wishful thinking.

Remapping isn't all about making it faster, but about getting the best performance out of the car - improving responsiveness, actually making it more fuel efficient IF you drive it correctly and don't just put the hammer down at every twist and turn. With speed limits set at 100kph, it's pretty much pointless to aim to be faster when just about every car on the road is capable of sitting at that speed comfortably.

Old 17-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Joshuast

Ok calm down. It's my personal opinion. What gets me though is that this forum is for FORD enthusiasts and people who are very passionate about their set of wheels. And until you have really out your ST through its paces, which you can't do in s test drive, uiu will be amazed. Just saying. We should be talking this car up.........
Old 17-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Lawwa
Starter Motor

We are all perfectly calm and we are Ford enthusiasts. We just like to keep our enthusiasm grounded in the realms of reality also. The ST doesn't need 'talking up' and most of my ST owner friends have been completely hooked based on a 5 min test drive..... in fact, one didn't even test drive it. He started it up, gave it some revs, turned it off and signed the paperwork.

Anyway, the mods are settling in nicely esp the exhaust as it's bedding in.

Old 17-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
ConradP

got and vids with the sound of the new exhaust ?
Old 17-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Lawwa
Starter Motor

We tried to take one but the sound was ruined by the enclosed space we were in. will do one in a more open environ soon.