Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default Your experience in Controlling wheel spin.

Hi all,

Since getting my car back Ive realized that wheel spin is a little issue.

On a real cool night Im having a lot of trouble of trying to keep 2nd gear stable. (Bugger all chance of 1st gear) This is after driving for well over an hour with full heat in the tires. Now I have deep dish rims on the rear (10.5 inch) though they are on the by Nankangs or what ever they are called, understandably not the greatest tyre to use.

In your experiences, what have been things to help you with this, further more, with down the track looking at getting more HP this problem is only going to grow.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

Apologies in advance Mods if this isnt in the correct area. Please move if need be.

Thanks.

Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

Default Re: Your experience in Controlling wheel spin.

throttle control.

Sandtrap Motorsport's BF XR6T wagon -- to tow around the Capri ^^^

www.facebook.com/SandtrapMotorsport
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

i always consult a suspension place with these problems,

they sorted out my valiant, my brothers audi and helping me sort out the weird issue i am having with the AU..

Heasmen's and K-Mac are who i use in Sydney

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

with 280 at the wheels, youre always going to have issues on nangkangs. Also agree with getting your suspension looked at, ultimately the cheapeat and smartest thing to do is throttle control, but if youre insistant and want a faster car not a tyre burner, invest in some expensive rubber.

Good shoes paired with good shoelaces make for a quick pair of sneakers
Old 26-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I would check your tire pressure too. Even at full temperature if the pressure is too high the lack grip will be accentuated. Also short shifting and regulating throttle can help.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

My brothers audi still has trouble holding all four Pirelly 19x275 tyres on the road ... but he has 450kW @ All Four, But Heasmens were able to build him custom bilstein shocks which helped, and with their recommendation on spring rates, a friend at kmac made him new springs

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
Old 26-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I did figure that tyres would play a big roll, but even with getting some real good rubber, and later down the track looking at also closer to 400rwkws, am I going to be back at stage 1 again?
Old 26-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

450rwkw awd! Now Id love to see that thing in action!!!
Old 26-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PDSe6E9XLo

12.4 (Now 12.070) Unopened Engine

Just ECU, Sports exhaust and Gutted Cats

engine is out at the moment, getting headwork and bigger turbos

*12.0 Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daX5GRWxpfI

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 27-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
QIK006

Wheelspin
Irradictated
Forever
Enabler

The W.I.F.E has been around for many years, It does come at great expense, although some have found other uses for it away from the car. Although my W.I.F.E. has many audible alarms, not just wheelspin irradication, it comes with a built in speed alert, tailgating alert, I have tried to see if the W.I.F.E would work in the home, but to no avail
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006
Wheelspin
Irradictated
Forever
Enabler

The W.I.F.E has been around for many years, It does come at great expense, although some have found other uses for it away from the car. Although my W.I.F.E. has many audible alarms, not just wheelspin irradication, it comes with a built in speed alert, tailgating alert, I have tried to see if the W.I.F.E would work in the home, but to no avail
love it
Old 27-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm confused by this thread. Is the issue that it doesn't do it in 3rd? :P

It's never going to be great in a falcon. You could run around on semi slicks all day long like some do?

I've resorted to just taking it easy on the road. Use semi's or slicks for racing.

Every time it spins and frustrates you on the street just think of all the license points are you saving.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ive got Nangkang tyres on the Subaru, i run them at ~42psi. 1st gear off the lights as normal in the rain = spinfest.

My solution is to plant it till gear 1 runs out and have to shift to second.

If second spins, go to third. But that doesnt happen with 30kw at the wheels.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
MAV50L
Banned

I run Falkens on the missus EL XR8 and they are pretty good.
For the track get a set of Mickey Thompson ET Streets. Road legal (can fit them before going to the track) and as they are classed as a street radial you dont need front runners , tailshaft loop etc at the track unlike proper slicks.
They will wear out as you look at them but they are like driving on a piece of velcro dipped in Super Glue.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Simple solution. Right foot control.

I have driven some pretty wild machines in my line of work and I have never had a traction issue with any of them, as I have learnt how to control my right foot.

The one car that really sticks in my mind, was a Nissan Skyline. Twin plate clutch, massive turbo, locked diff, std street tyres. Bloody weapon. Change gears under 3000 RPM and it was like you were learning to drive a manual equipped car. However, I never had traction issues with that car and I was just test driving it before and after a wheel alignment.

So adjust driving style first, before throwing money at it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #16
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Graham is that you? vkval?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 27-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #17
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about a dual stage boost controller? gives you a little less power in the first two gears
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #18
kpcart
Banned

how about not driving lead foot like a maniac, that usually fixes wheel spin issues.. especially on public roads.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What power is your car making cryhsv??

never mind i see now lol
Old 27-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Apart from the obvious throttle control point, get some real performance tyres. I had nankangs on my GT on the recommendation of a tuner, claimed they were great value, good wear and great grip. Value=nil, wear=not good(due to next point) and grip=nil. They were the largest piece of crap tyre ever, even my mildly modded, 245rwkw GT could turn the treads in the 1-2 change and in the wet was just plain scary. I then went to Toyo Proxes 4 and they were much better but I was still not happy. I now run Toyo Proxes T1R on the phoon and they are brilliant, yes I can lay strips with them but I have to exercise no throttle control to do it.

I will never understand why people spend $10k+ getting squillions of killer wasps and enough to torque to alter the rotation of the earth and then want tyres for $220 a piece with lack lustre performance. All the power in the world is no good if you can not get it to the ground.

I would sort out some decent rubber before getting suspension done, no point spending all ghat money on power and suspension when the largest single improvement would come from getting some true performance tyres. I would leave the nankangs for the next burnout comp.
Old 27-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old Charger I owned when I was 18 had nearly 300hp out of a 265 hemi, and it was running the "normal" fat tyres at the time of 195/70-14". Wheelspin was a problem for me with the four speed box, until an old hand gave me some sage advice.

He said "I can tell you exactly where your problem lies...", and he promptly trod on my right foot. He said "If you know it spins easily, then just take that into consideration and take it easy off the line then...otherwise you can fix it another way by returning the engine to standard...that usually does the trick..."

Quote:
Wheelspin
Irradictated
Forever
Enabler

Yes, our G6E and also the old 1982 Celica are both equipped with one of these devices.
Occasionally my GSX1400 motorcycle also has the device fitted.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Yes, our G6E and also the old 1982 Celica are both equipped with one of these devices.
Occasionally my GSX1400 motorcycle also has the device fitted.
A nice bike like that fitted with a W.I.F.E, unlucky!
Old 27-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Get some good quality tyres, look at your spring shock combo and modulate the throttle. Too much wheelspin is a good problem to have though

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can only suggest you dont drive like a flog. I have driven a 300kw rear wheel torana that will wheelspin in 3rd at 100klms/hr if I wanted it to. If I didnt .......... it wouldnt........ Your driving style is the problem in this case......... Now when you actually hit the strip, a set of slicks will help you hook up but a little sorting of suspension will get the power to the ground more efficiently.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #25
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Hi all,

Since getting my car back Ive realized that wheel spin is a little issue.

On a real cool night Im having a lot of trouble of trying to keep 2nd gear stable. (Bugger all chance of 1st gear) This is after driving for well over an hour with full heat in the tires. Now I have deep dish rims on the rear (10.5 inch) though they are on the by Nankangs or what ever they are called, understandably not the greatest tyre to use.

In your experiences, what have been things to help you with this, further more, with down the track looking at getting more HP this problem is only going to grow.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

Apologies in advance Mods if this isnt in the correct area. Please move if need be.

Thanks.
Nice problem to have! In order from cheapest to dearest to 'fix' whilst keeping your current engine outputs.

1. Modulate throttle
2. Better tyres
3. Soften / adjust rear springs & dampeners.
4. Fit AU IRS like some E series owners have done!
5. Give the car to me!

Enjoy.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have tried to see if the W.I.F.E would work in the home, but to no avail
Doesn't yours come with built-in garbage reminder?
or the optional lawn length alert?
Old 27-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #27
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Magic word there for me is Nagnkang... good rubber is essential in keeping tracition. 2nd would be the rear suspension set up to ensure the load is dropped onto the rear tyres (but not too violently etc). 3rd would be throttle control.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Ive got Nangkang tyres on the Subaru, i run them at ~42psi. 1st gear off the lights as normal in the rain = spinfest.
42 PSI?! Surely thats WAY too HIGH! I've got 235 20's and 275 20's but "only" run a max of 38 psi wet and 37 psi dry. 42 PSI seems very high and will cause it to slip like crazy, I'd imagine.

cryhsv, what pressures are you running?
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
My old Charger I owned when I was 18 had nearly 300hp out of a 265 hemi, and it was running the "normal" fat tyres at the time of 195/70-14". Wheelspin was a problem for me with the four speed box, until an old hand gave me some sage advice.
Hmmm....it must have been endemic with the Charger, my "tricked" E49 suffered the same problem.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps look at installing traction control through a motec or a specific device ........... http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...action-control
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post