Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Question Auto Transmission Question .. help please .

Hi guys , bit of a problem i have and am hoping someone might be able to lead me on the right track to adjusting some settings or something .

Anyway, the topic is the kickback of gears in the auto when you put your foot into it.
For some time now i had been driving around on setting 3 ( adaptive shift ) and found that the auto responds straight away when kicking back a gear when putting ya foot down ( all fine in setting 3 ). But - Recentlly i started using setting 1 ( Power setting ) which i prefer in the way of it revs out to higher rpm before changing, but the problem is when im cruising then i when i put my foot down the auto takes about a second or so before it decides to kickback a gear ! , any ideas anyone on what might be wrong or how to adjust the auto or some settings or whatever so it will kick back straight away in 'power mode' setting 1 ?? , or is this pretty much how the auto responds in setting 1 from factory? any help would be greatlly appreciated , thanks .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

My auto non xr6 ecu seems to respond with the lag many times and many times not.I notice with the shift kit on it tends to be alot better. It may be a reduction in line pressure but I am not certain.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just has me wondering , cos' on adaptive shift it kicks back straight away. I'de be interested if it's line pressure because i though that only effected the smoothness of the shift/how hard it shifts. Just after working with trannys years ago they either used a bar or a cable joined to the carby and settings were made from there ( and there was only 1 setting too ! ), but his being a newer auto , with 3 settings , and 1 setting works fine and the other doesn't makes me wonder what the hell it is ..lol .. cheers .. more suggestions welcome plz .

Old 28-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
SIKXR8220

My XR8 does the same but it also does it in economy mode as well as power mode unfortunately i dont know why just letting you know that it might be a common thing.

SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it bothers you guys so much you could also manually downshift too. i do this sometimes as it is instant and after downshifting you can tramp the pedal good.

but have you guys tried resetting the ECU to see if that helps or makes any difference. because the ECU learns how you drive and adapts the shifts accordingly.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Just has me wondering , cos' on adaptive shift it kicks back straight away. I'de be interested if it's line pressure because i though that only effected the smoothness of the shift/how hard it shifts. Just after working with trannys years ago they either used a bar or a cable joined to the carby and settings were made from there ( and there was only 1 setting too ! ), but his being a newer auto , with 3 settings , and 1 setting works fine and the other doesn't makes me wonder what the hell it is ..lol .. cheers .. more suggestions welcome plz .
just wondering how you were driving it before you kicked it down, , i use manual changes a bit, and i have noticed it seems much snapier in changes after driving like this for a while , i think maybe the ecu has to look at how you have been driving and decide how to act and it may take a second , for example if you had been driving economically and then sudenlly give it the boot, dont really know just my thoughts, i`m probably completely wrong
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
just wondering how you were driving it before you kicked it down, , i use manual changes a bit, and i have noticed it seems much snapier in changes after driving like this for a while , i think maybe the ecu has to look at how you have been driving and decide how to act and it may take a second , for example if you had been driving economically and then sudenlly give it the boot, dont really know just my thoughts, i`m probably completely wrong

I think your onto something there mate ;) , cos i have also noticed now that if i tramp it around for a while in econ or power mode then it seems to kickback fine again after driving like a hoon for a while , just strange how it kicked back no problems straight off in adaptive shift mode - then again - it had probably allready learned my driving style in adaptive shift as i used that most of the time for a long time before . cheers .

Old 29-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Get the edit... 100% preprogrammed "hoon style" ECU 100% of the time :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Get the edit... 100% preprogrammed "hoon style" ECU 100% of the time :

that sounds like the go .

Old 29-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
that sounds like the go .
Just think it could keep Caspers black baby company at the G+D Casper car retirement village : :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I think your onto something there mate ;) , cos i have also noticed now that if i tramp it around for a while in econ or power mode then it seems to kickback fine again after driving like a hoon for a while , just strange how it kicked back no problems straight off in adaptive shift mode - then again - it had probably allready learned my driving style in adaptive shift as i used that most of the time for a long time before . cheers .
As the name suggests, adaptive shift learns your driving style and changes gears accordingly. If you drive like a grandpa, it will shift like a grandpa would like it. Drive it hard, and it shifts later and quicker. Econ and power mode are both pre-programmed modes with no adaptiveness at all. Effectively, they are the same as the old econ/power button on non-XR autos. Econ shifts earlier, while power holds revs for slightly longer.

My XR8 has been doing some dogdy things lately too - like when I tramp it while moving (eg at 60 or so), it does not kick back straight away, but when it does, it kicks back, and then half a second later kicks back again (so goes from D to 2). However, the next time I try the same thing, it's fine - one kickback to second, instead of 2 kickbacks to get to the same gear. I think a lot of it has to do with temperature of the box, outside temp etc - I find that my car usually runs heaps better on mild to cool days (lucky I live in canberra, hey?).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
As the name suggests, adaptive shift learns your driving style and changes gears accordingly. If you drive like a grandpa, it will shift like a grandpa would like it. Drive it hard, and it shifts later and quicker. Econ and power mode are both pre-programmed modes with no adaptiveness at all. Effectively, they are the same as the old econ/power button on non-XR autos. Econ shifts earlier, while power holds revs for slightly longer.

My XR8 has been doing some dogdy things lately too - like when I tramp it while moving (eg at 60 or so), it does not kick back straight away, but when it does, it kicks back, and then half a second later kicks back again (so goes from D to 2). However, the next time I try the same thing, it's fine - one kickback to second, instead of 2 kickbacks to get to the same gear. I think a lot of it has to do with temperature of the box, outside temp etc - I find that my car usually runs heaps better on mild to cool days (lucky I live in canberra, hey?).
Hey i've had that happen a few time too , when it has kicked back to like second gear a second or so later then kicked into first gear about another second later - revs its tits out for a sec then go back to second , very annoying , if only everything would work as smooth as it does in adaptive shift - allthough adaptive shift doesn't rev the gears out for long enough before shifting compared to the no#1 power mode. :(