Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Fatal driver was .19

The previous thread on this was closed due to it going miles off track... I do think the discovery that this guy was nearly FOUR times the limit DOES put an entire new perspective on this tragedy! Absolute lunacy, really!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...iver-was-drunk

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't all that much to say about this. It's an absolute tragedy and the driver was a complete moron but it's happened. With the government just using scare tactics instead of actual education it is going to keep on happening and there is nothing we can do about it..
There's no point on another 10 pages of scit fighting over it...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Mods...I'd be closing this thread reaaaaal quick.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
kezzer

Make all the laws you want. It won't be stopping idiots like this, he already broke like 5 :S
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Mods...I'd be closing this thread reaaaaal quick.
Why? its a worthwhile subject IF it highlights and brings attention to this major issue AND helps educate young forum users in a positive manner....

Old 20-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Why? its a worthwhile subject IF it highlights and brings attention to this major issue AND helps educate young forum users in a positive manner....
Keyword being 'If'

Threads like this on AFF always end up going down the drain. Always.

I might just go through the old thread and quote a post on each page and it'd pretty much sum up word for word what will appear in this thread.

Read it all a thousand times in a thousand threads.

Not having a shot at you either mate...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
F6T
Has V8 envy

I agree with Vman.

All I can say is that thank god he didn't crash into another innocent oncoming driver.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
+ 1
this is the sort of info that need's to be spoken about

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
The previous thread on this was closed due to it going miles off track... I do think the discovery that this guy was nearly FOUR times the limit DOES put an entire new perspective on this tragedy! Absolute lunacy, really!

Not surprised. They had departed from a party. It was near 2am. That the driver had a lot to drink stands to reason.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm not really sure you can stop crashes like this. the type of people who would drive this drunk AND the type of people who would get in a car with someone so drunk are pretty much beyond any education plan we could offer.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I hope the media drop the "high powered car" angle and go the "drunk driver" instead.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I'm still intrigued by the "chased by gate crashers" angle and whether that will be persued or simply disregarded as a contributing factor?
Old 20-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
I'm still intrigued by the "chased by gate crashers" angle and whether that will be persued or simply disregarded as a contributing factor?

Considering it happened so close to a police station and no witnesses that saw the vehicle earlier reported a pursuit with another vehicle, I think it will be regarded as the BS it probably is.
Old 20-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I hope the media drop the "high powered car" angle and go the "drunk driver" instead.
My views on the laws notwithstanding, with the Premier talking up toughening the 'anti-hoon' laws, hopefully any amendments made will affect drink drivers.

I'm just waiting for the calls to make alcohol interlocks mandatory on all cars...
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:

It will be interesting to see the alcohol readings of the passengers....if they do them....

Just knowing this makes me angry.....the lot of them are absolute morons.

The only good that can come out of this now, is hopefully, HOPEFULLY, it deters other morons from doing something similar. Not that we'll ever know...
Old 20-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i'm not really sure you can stop crashes like this. the type of people who would drive this drunk AND the type of people who would get in a car with someone so drunk are pretty much beyond any education plan we could offer.
Exactly.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
It will be interesting to see the alcohol readings of the passengers....if they do them....

Just knowing this makes me angry.....the lot of them are absolute morons.

The only good that can come out of this now, is hopefully, HOPEFULLY, it deters other morons from doing something similar. Not that we'll ever know...

Toxicology including alcohol is often done as routine in postmortem, so probably done. I doubt they will release the info as it will be deemed not relevant. They are pretty careful to only release info that the public clearly has a right to know.
Old 20-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
couldnt agree more.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
My views on the laws notwithstanding, with the Premier talking up toughening the 'anti-hoon' laws, hopefully any amendments made will affect drink drivers.

I'm just waiting for the calls to make alcohol interlocks mandatory on all cars...
Won't work. No amount of legislation, talk fests, koombaya singing etc will make an iota of difference to the person who believes they are invincible, or it won't happen to them.

All legislation does is make compliance harder for the average law abiding citizen. Those who don't care will disregard the laws, as has been proven in this instance. The driver was d/d, and carrying more than the maximum permissable allowed passengers due to his driving restrictions from a previous infringement.
Old 20-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

Isn't the limit for a 'P' plater zero BAC?

If he was four tiomes Zero, isn't that still zero??

Anyway, stupidity, alcohol, speed, inexperiance all make a fatal combination.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Isn't the limit for a 'P' plater zero BAC?

If he was four tiomes Zero, isn't that still zero??

Anyway, stupidity, alcohol, speed, inexperiance all make a fatal combination.
You beat me to it, how many 0.0's go into .19?

THATS A HELL OF A LOT OVER THE LIMIT!! haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

News.com.au mentioned that he was 4 times over the full licence limit, not zero that he was subject to.

And his dopey mates have still been busted high level speeding in the same area since this horrible accident.

Besides the drastic I dont know the answer.........
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

You know what he means so no need to be a smart *** about it, theres a time and place for that and its not in this thread :
Quote:
Despite being on his P-plates — meaning he was not allowed to drive with any alcohol in his system — Mr Johnstone's reading was almost four times the legal level allowed for a full licence.
I know some people close to this and no matter what the circumstances are about how, when and why there is still a loss of 5 young lives

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 20-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I know some people close to this and no matter what the circumstances are about how, when and why there is still a loss of 5 young lives
The circumstances of "how, when and why" is exactly the reason 5 young lives were lost.....

You can't hide behind the tragedy....

Old 20-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
low_72

Quote:
The circumstances of "how, when and why" is exactly the reason 5 young lives were lost.....

You can't hide behind the tragedy....
It is a tragedy

.... but s h i t happens... everyone makes there own decisions in life..they made theres...i have lost some mates in my time so i know what lost feels like..

But everyone says what can we do to stop this.......Nothing... its life and we will all be grateful to wake up 2moro. Its only some cases that really pop into the media... I seen on the tv that the brother must have been a hero for saving his sister as he was over her...well with a impact like that it would have been like shaking a packet of chips and seeing how you landed.. trying to make a hero out of 5 reckless people in a car...pppffftttt

Anyhow...what about the 100000 plus people that died in haiti?
low_72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #26
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Its a tragedy and a waste of life - BUT - all this money on "wipe off five" campaigns and "click it or ticket" campaigns, where's the actual problems lie? In education of how to handle a car at higher speeds should you have to drive like that for any reason (being chased, evading gun shots, gas pedal stuck, felt like going for a hoon, whatever) and most importantly the parents responsible for the development of their childrens brains from a very young age - and the methodology that its alright to take a risk if you think you can get away with it. Forget speeding, forget tv adds, forget harsher penalties! Simply make advanced driver training compulsary for ALL drivers regardless of age, and formulate a test where maturity and phsycological capabilities are assessed against a basic criterium of one's abilities to be in charge of a potentially lethal weapon that is a motor car, to have some level of respect for other people, roadusers, friends and families that might be impacted.

For a more indepth and un-moderated discussion, have a read here: (EDIT - I can't link directly due to the swear filter, but follow this link to page #65, then click the page #66 "Glassing ****" and scroll down to read through the Comments section - its worth the effort)
http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.co...pani-stickers/

Note the referrences to alchohol being left at the roadside memorial and the general mentality of this group of low lifes and blatant disrespect for themselves, their friends and families, even their appearance which might seam judgemental but its a good initial indication. I distinctly remember the crashed cars at school and those "shock tactics" they used, absolutely useless as THIS mob of people take it as a challenge "Oh that's bad, but I bet I can do that without crashing!"
Old 20-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #27
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Like the slogan says 'If you drink and drive your a bloody idiot'
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

In tamworth late last year there was a bloke killed after he sent a car into a pole at 140km/h.

To Remember him, they made stickers, now heaps of cars have them. And what a surprise atleast half of the blokes with the stickers still do similer stupid stuff.

Mouse in an wheel.

The bloke in victoria sounds like he was a complete moron, but his friends were in respect, stupider. Driver education needs to focus on the peer aspect, Don't hop in a car with a drunk driver etc. What i dont get is why 5 people thought it would be a cool idea to hop in the car with a bloke who would almost be stumbling, and do 160 km/h.

And to think his friends are still speeding, let alone leaving goon bags at the site.

Lunatics.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Im at an absolute loss to what goes threw the mind of someone willing to get in a car with someone who is that intoxicated!, its just the dumbest thing i've heard!, the driver was stupid, his passengers Mega Stupid!! :
Old 20-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
robbyg
72xa

hi guys, this is a real tradgedy to say the least, you know at the end of the day you cannot put old heads on young bodies, when you are young think you are bullitproof and can do anything, a young bloke at work has done an advanced driving school training course and to be hounest he thinks he is allan moffit, maybe he is as good as him who knows, fellas i dont know what the answer is but i think it should not come from a pollitition who alls they want to do is cost and inconvience us
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post