Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default oh! no!......she wants a pizza oven!!!

went to the B.I.L.'S place last night for a bit of dinner........yep! he's got a bloody pizza oven.....now of course SHE wants one.

anyone built one, did you do it to a plan, what materials did you use.

I'm familiar with fire bricks and high temp mortar but what about insulation?...necessary or not.

base material, concrete or pavers, fire bricks.

and of course how often do you use it???

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: oh! no!......she wants a pizza oven!!!

I know a bloke who built one with a stainlees steel base for the whole ovan.
They are not that difficult, I'm told.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

Even Bunnings do one now, fits in ya box trailer, take home, insert fire, wella!

Doesn't just cook pizza either

A mate of mine has one of these, comes in kit form:

http://www.alfrescowoodfiredovens.co...=diy_oven_kits
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

I think Masters or Bunnings is selling a chimera with a pizza bit in the top of it.

That could be a compromise.. you know.. "try this, if you do actually use it we'll get a proper one".... ;)

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do a google theres a heap of nfo out there.
Its not biased either.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I have a Weber Q bbq, bought a proper pizza stone for it and it cooks great pizzas, also does great roasts etc.... not quite the same as a proper pizza oven maybe but certainly a much cheaper option
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
05_ENFORCER

The pizza stone is a must if you don't have a proper pizza oven, my god it retains the heat for a bloody long time

Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! she's got a stone, used it once, upside down and the pizza stuck so it is relegated to the dark outer reaches of the pantry.

I got a weber as well as a spit roast and a barbie with hood but that is not enough for madam.

she informs me that one requires a complete outdoor kitchen with inbuilt oven that may allows one to cook and clean outside when one is entertaining.

I call it one up manship..... BIL has a pizza oven, we shall have an outdoor kitchen, complete with sink, stove oven of course.

I'll start with the oven and see how it goes from there.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
05_ENFORCER

Got a crazy idea Dave,........................ get the BIL to buy/rent/borrow the car of your choice and take the Mrs around for lunch,..........................................se e if that works also

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just say no.... Tell her that there is no room after u buy another car.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dont put any pinrapple on the pizzas.....
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
Got a crazy idea Dave,........................ get the BIL to buy/rent/borrow the car of your choice and take the Mrs around for lunch,..........................................se e if that works also

Bwah! Hah! Hah!........love it. but for some reason I cant see it being that easy!

'tis only that which madam wants that is granted in this household.

I'm going for months in the planning and possible weeks for the preparation then I'll stretch out the construction for as long as I feel safe!

however there will come a time when the minister for all things pleasurable will get that which she desires!......now where did I leave my concrete mixer?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

large with the lot please
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to have a charcole spit a customer gave it (a heavy wall 44 on its side with an electric motor) it was fantastic for spits but also add a stone change the charcole for some hard wood (let it burn down to coles) and BAM fantastic wood fired pizza

I just picked up an oldskool fuel oven from a house that was getting a reno up the road and thats going on the back deck with the obove mentioned stone as my outdoor heating / pizza oven

It'll also do stove top esspresso ;)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i got a gas one , so easy to use and makes great pizza , and you dont have to make it haha
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I used to have a charcole spit a customer gave it (a heavy wall 44 on its side with an electric motor) it was fantastic for spits but also add a stone change the charcole for some hard wood (let it burn down to coles) and BAM fantastic wood fired pizza

I just picked up an oldskool fuel oven from a house that was getting a reno up the road and thats going on the back deck with the obove mentioned stone as my outdoor heating / pizza oven

It'll also do stove top esspresso ;)
yeah! I've been keeping an eye out for the old metters stove, either No 4 or 5

but every tom dick and henry wants them if they are any good.......cant be beaten as an oven and a stove top.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a couple of guys who've built them. Plenty of info on the net about how to make them.

One tip with the bricks...go to a foundry or boilermakers works...try and get old kiln or boiler or furnace lining bricks from when they've done renovations. The guys I know got them from a foundry and another lot of bricks from a place that was replacing an old boiler that had bricks around it. They're proper fire bricks that won't chip and fall apart from the heat, and they've been well seasoned by years of use in a furnace. Brickworks might be another place to get old fire bricks...they usually have furnaces lines in them.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
chunny

Poppa,

There's a heap of places that do kits. I think bunnings still have a kit DIY one.

If you want some advise give clayworks a call. They're based in Dandenong Vic and have built a heap of them.

George

When I saw the 1st line "oh no she wants a".... I thought she wanted a Jeep!
chunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we looked at some in Bunnings in mount gambier and Bunnings @ munno para.....madam does not like the look, she wants a "craftsman" igloo style, heavy brick, insulated with concrete overlay in a "clay" colour construction with timber storage beneath to hold pots, pans and other "tools of the trade"

I've built plenty of barby's, retaining walls and flower boxes out of brick so I've exposed the fact that I can work in brick as well as steel and timber (as you know we husbands are doomed once that knowledge gets out).

I shall use stalling tactics until at least spring when her thoughts return to gardening. ( I live in hope).

George, I wish it was just a jeep......flash the card, job done but this is menial labour that she wishes......she wont sell her micra though, she loves the damn thing.

but I will be constructing at some stage, just a matter of when......she will have her way or life becomes very difficult.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
jcxr
Tribal Elder

WARNING, beware of using old secondhand firbricks that have come out of foundries, chimney stacks etc that may have been melting toxic metals, chemicals etc. Could prove fatal.
If you want the best info, go to Forno bravo website, plenty of ideas and its a forum like AFF.
Or, you could give me a PM and I can run you through it.
I have been in the firebrick/refractory business for 30 years and can supply all you need, or put you onto an interstate supplier near you. I have helped 100's of people build WFO's, both domestic and commercial applications.
I have supplied most brick companies with their refractory materials, and have supplied Clayworks in Dandenong with their materials. They dont brick their domes, they are cast out of high temp , 1350C grade " concrete".
Rendering the outside is easy and you use an oxide to get any colour you want. Insulation is the key factor in building the oven, keep the heat IN the oven, not heating up the supporting structure and the outside enviroment.

Last edited by jcxr; 05-06-2013 at 11:38 AM.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

madam wouldnt allow me to use used anything, my my, simply wouldn't DO!......imagine the gossip over a glass of white... " yes but they used secondhand materials!".

we have a large hardware company here that I have been dealing with for years, they only sell to the trade.

I will buy all my supply from there, I will line it with fire bricks and use refractory mortar, then a lime based mortar mix over the top coloured to clay.

I've looked at a few plans and like a couple.....but I'm just trying to put it off and get some ideas from members.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
madam wouldnt allow me to use used anything, my my, simply wouldn't DO!......imagine the gossip over a glass of white... " yes but they used secondhand materials!".

we have a large hardware company here that I have been dealing with for years, they only sell to the trade.

I will buy all my supply from there, I will line it with fire bricks and use refractory mortar, then a lime based mortar mix over the top coloured to clay.

I've looked at a few plans and like a couple.....but I'm just trying to put it off and get some ideas from members.
Try Sila Australia P/L for materials, they manufacture, not resell. They dont normally sell to the public but I can get you in if you require. just PM me when you are ready. Use a calcium silicate board underneath your floor tiles, and wrap the dome in ceramic fibre blanket, THEN render it. Finally AFTER drying the whole thing out slowly, waterproof render it.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A sink with hot and cold taps on the outside is great. At my old place we had one. Came in handy so much espically in the summer when we wanted to BBQ, washing hands etc.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
A sink with hot and cold taps on the outside is great. At my old place we had one. Came in handy so much espically in the summer when we wanted to BBQ, washing hands etc.
we already have that, along with a built in BBQ and cabinets, we have had up to 60 people here at a time and it has served us well.

but it is to be revitalised apparently and a Pizza oven (which will never be used to cook pizzas by the way but just another roasting oven) simply must be included.

hopefully it will ease down a bit with the colder weather and not so much cooking outside.......but it will be look out when spring comes around.

I've seen a few on youtube that I like and could easily reproduce......if I had a mind to......if I dont ....well it will be to my detriment in the long term.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
we already have that, along with a built in BBQ and cabinets, we have had up to 60 people here at a time and it has served us well.

but it is to be revitalised apparently and a Pizza oven (which will never be used to cook pizzas by the way but just another roasting oven) simply must be included.

hopefully it will ease down a bit with the colder weather and not so much cooking outside.......but it will be look out when spring comes around.

I've seen a few on youtube that I like and could easily reproduce......if I had a mind to......if I dont ....well it will be to my detriment in the long term.
for the record these make a fantastic heater / pie warmer for watching the footy out on the deck

Just saying

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now theres a thought!!!.......comfy chair, couple cold beverages, few mates......watching the crows beat the stuffing out of the geelong cats.......oh! damn there i go off to dreamland again!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Alby1
you'd be popular too

And my father

E303 cam, ported gt40p heads, 1.7 rockers, high flow cats, Au220 TB, 70mm Maf, tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Have now brought my car to the 2000's with electric rear windows, door lights and wood trims
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post