Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Fairmont Dash into ute.

Ok I have done a search and there is a question Im still looking for the answer too.
In the next month or so I will be changing the dash of my Series 2 XLS ute over to a Series 2 Fairmont Ghia one.
The ute and the donor car I have are both 5.0's.
SO does the BEM have to be programmed to both the ECU or just the key barrel for the changeover?
Is it possible to fit the Fairmont BEM to the XLS dash and have it reprogrammed before pulling the old dash out?
That way I have a complete running and starting car with BEM before I start changing things over.
Any assistance appreciated.

MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fairmont Dash into ute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Ok I have done a search and there is a question Im still looking for the answer too.
In the next month or so I will be changing the dash of my Series 2 XLS ute over to a Series 2 Fairmont Ghia one.
The ute and the donor car I have are both 5.0's.
SO does the BEM have to be programmed to both the ECU or just the key barrel for the changeover?
Is it possible to fit the Fairmont BEM to the XLS dash and have it reprogrammed before pulling the old dash out?
That way I have a complete running and starting car with BEM before I start changing things over.
Any assistance appreciated.
key BEM and ECU must all be programed together you should be able to put the Fairmont BEM in prior to the swap but some functions may not work properly including the windows. I know the power window function is totally different from when I did my 4 door window conversion . the windows didn't work till I installed a high series BEM was a real pain . if upgrading the dash to high series you might encounter the same dramas and need to install high series window wiring etc. might be a lot more work than you are expecting

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

After doing the install, you can drive the car on the old BEM, but some things won't work.
Wipers and headlights are some I can think of, but I can't remember what else.

I don't know about xls but on my XL series 1 (without power windows), i had to modify/remake the cross car loom. I did switch to Fairmont door trims/looms at the same time though. If you're keeping your old door cards, I would think you might be alright.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I actually started playing around with it today.
The series 2 ute has the pink BEM as per Fairmont.
I fitted the Fairmont BEM into the ute and apart from the ute not starting as smartshield was locked , every other function on the car worked as per normal.
Lights , windows , wipers the lot.
I am going to wait until I change the entire dash over to see if I need to have the BEM reprogrammed or not.
There are other people who have put the climate dash into a ute and it went staright in and use d the original BEM.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post