Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
peterljohnson55

Default Brakes are pulsing… new rotor+pad advice, please

My 2001 AU2 Fairmont Ghia's brakes are pulsing and making an awful noise to match. Pads are OK so I presume the rotors are stuffed.

Rotors and pads were replaced new, 55,000 kms ago. But I don’t know their spec, whether small or large (I presume small).

I do 70% suburban and 30% freeway, over about 9000 kms/year.

From the recent article re-posted at
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11404009
reference is made to the following ‘permanent’ fix options…

1) Fit the larger rotors and calipers that Ford offered as optional packages with its high-performance versions of the car, and
2) After-market brake components.

MY QUESTIONS ARE …

a) How successful are Ford’s larger rotors as a permanent fix?
b) Ditto on the after-market options
c) Can any advise me on the suggested manufacturers and part numbers for these preferred items?
d) How can I check on the size of my present rotors – small or large (dimensions)?
e) Any suggestions for what a reasonable co$t would be, for a mechanic to replace with large rotors and new pads?

Thanks for your help.

-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brakes are pulsing… new rotor+pad advice, please

rotors just need machining, it is a common problem with this type of rotor. the important thing with either new or machined rotors is the preparation before installing . many think just chuck them on the hub and away you go, WRONG you must make sure the mating surface is spotlessly clean. remove all rust and scale the slightest but of contamination will cause the rotor to sit out of square with the hub and within a few thousand Ks the pulsing / shudder will return

here is an article from DBA on the subject

http://www.dba.com.au/tech-article-t...e-disc-rotors/

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What au3xr6 says is correct, everything must be spotless. As for going for the optional high performance package, it's a good fix but it'll be much cheaper to just go out to a wreckers and buy a set of BA callipers and get yourself some BA slotted discs. They are a direct bolt on replacement for AII brakes. I did that for my Fairlane and shortened my 100kph to 0 emergency stop by about over 2 car lengths; and I reckon it'd be more if I went for more aggressive pads than the ones I have.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Once thing I'll add to the above comments is making sure your hub has minimal runout. It can be spotlessly clean, but a worn hub is going to have runout which will equate to brake shuddering returning in a few thousand Kms. Requirng a brake upgrade to fix brake shuddering is bunkum.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Requirng a brake upgrade to fix brake shuddering is bunkum.
Quite right.

A new set of QFM pads (even entry-level ones) with skimmed rotors and ensuring that your suspension components are serviceable and your wheel balance is good then you should not get any pulsing again until the pads are basically worn out (70k or so).

So often do people assume the stock brake package is the fault of problems. If you have no faults in your suspension/wheel components and good, unworn examples of brake components then the AU2/3 twin-piston setup is a bloody decent brake setup for everyday driving.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

To get 55 thousand Klms from a set of pads and rotors is sensational in my books , although my ute is loaded to the max so i did stress the stock set up quite hard so i did fit the T series premium spec brakes.They have been senastional.One other obsevation that i think was touched on above is that the AU is very vibration suceptable in that a wheel out of balance can also create brake shudder as well.One other thing i have learned is that not all rotors are the same and getting the right pad / rotor combo is important and pads that dont dirty wheels are not working correctly and will reduce rotor life .
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
peterljohnson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
... making sure your hub has minimal runout.... ... a worn hub ....
FNQ, I don't know what this 'runout' is. Could you explain please?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
peterljohnson55

Quote:
a brake upgrade to fix brake shuddering is bunkum.
.... seems to be the consensus here, and thanks to all for that $-saving though. As you can tell, I am quite the novice.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
peterljohnson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
... ensuring that your suspension components are serviceable and your wheel balance is good ...
Thanks MR H.
New tyres all-round last January.
Suspension is due for replacement (struts now in hand ready) but is not noticeably a problem - I am replacing as they are probably up for renewal anyway, along with bushes b/joints and links. Perhaps they are adding to the problem so will get that done first.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
peterljohnson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
... here is an article from DBA on the subject ...
au3xr6 ... thanks for your very helpful comments and also for the link to DBA. That opened my eye up to a whole lot of stuff I have taken for granted.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
peterljohnson55

[QUOTE=Bushbasher;4871242] ... BA callipers and ... BA slotted discs. They are a direct bolt on replacement for AII brakes.... /QUOTE]

Bushbasher, thanks for that.

May I ask, do you know why the BA componentry offer better performance? Are they of heftier construction or of bigger surface area, or something?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

[QUOTE=peterljohnson55;4876243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
... BA callipers and ... BA slotted discs. They are a direct bolt on replacement for AII brakes.... /QUOTE]

Bushbasher, thanks for that.

May I ask, do you know why the BA componentry offer better performance? Are they of heftier construction or of bigger surface area, or something?

The discs are bigger as are the callipers and pads, all of which adds up to more surface area on the disc and more surface area on the pads which means more retardation before lock up but also in every day operation you don't need to work them as hard to achieve the same result as with the AUII units, which in turn means they don't tend to get as hot as often, (excess heat contributes to them warping). Plus they'll last longer before needing a pad change. The slotted discs and pads on my Fairlane have done over 100k so far without a hint of a shudder (80% highway). I'll swap them to my second car in the near future and throw some new pads at them and fully expect them to go another 100k.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post