Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default FG FPV Territory - Possible to be the fastest SUV?

As the title suggests, when Ford release the FG update of the Territory, if FPV release their tuned version of the Territory running the F6 motor (310Kw), would this not be one of the fastest SUV's on the market? Possibly internationaly?

By quick research, it would be quicker then a 6.2L Escalade, and the new 2009 V12 TDi Audi Q7 (0-100kmh in 5.5secs).

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Matty4
Banana

What about the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S?
404kw and 0 - 100 in 4.8 secs.....

Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
375kw and 0 - 100 in 5.0 secs...

I think it may still be outgunned in the SUV stakes, but it would be a damn site cheaper than these 2 though

Matty

Last edited by Matty4; 28-10-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added a bit
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't think of any other assumptions you've missed...

Old 28-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well the FG F6 does it in 4.7... however....being an SUV, it would add on a few fractions more... etc etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
GTP290

Ford have no intentions of upgrading the Territory with FG mechanicals, if they did it would of been released at the same time as the FG. The new Territory will be replaced by an imported Ford.
Old 28-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
Ford have no intentions of upgrading the Territory with FG mechanicals, if they did it would of been released at the same time as the FG. The new Territory will be replaced by an imported Ford.
....... and you know this how?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
They are working on a new terri, based around the FG...

But whats stopping FPV chucking a 310kw motor in now...? :

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure the new Territory wont have the FG drivetrains, it will have the new V6.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Vacant
Banned

Territory is not getting FG running gear. FG engine does not fit in Territory and Territory will stay with the current engine until the V6 arrives.
Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
They are working on a new terri, based around the FG...

But whats stopping FPV chucking a 310kw motor in now...? :

Euro 4 emission laws. Also the fact that the F6X bombed.....hard!
Old 28-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
........... it will have the new V6.
No it wont .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacant
Territory is not getting FG running gear. FG engine does not fit in Territory and Territory will stay with the current engine until the V6 arrives.
You do realise that the FG engine is basically the BA/F engine? The same I6 engine that has been in production for umpteen years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Euro 4 emission laws. Also the fact that the F6X bombed.....hard!
So did the T1 @ 2 ..... didnt stop them building number 3? That was T'Ford, but same ideals. Not knowing too much about when and what exactly Euro 4 emission laws will be applicable but why is this engine been in development and used in F6's and cannot be used as an easy add on to the newer Terri?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thats making the assumption there will be a model upgrade of the territory.....
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #13
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Future of Territory is Secure - CARSguide

Quote:
Future of Territory is secure

24 October 2008
Paul Gover
The future of the breakthrough Ford Territory is finally looking safe, despite the troubled times at its Broadmeadows headquarters.

A production plan for the first major remake of Australia's only homegrown SUV is now locked in place ahead of a changeover early in 2009.

It comes as Ford continues to downsize its workforce, not just on the production line that produces the Territory and Falcon but also in white-collar jobs at both Broadmeadows and its manufacturing base at Geelong.

The Territory plan shows an ongoing commitment to the car, even if it is not yet included in the V6 engine changeover set for the Falcon in 2010.

The makeover is not a big spend or a major alteration, but will give Ford's local wagon a worthwhile freshen-up and some added showroom impact. Ford is not quite ready to go public on the Territory update, although the company confirms something is happening.

“We have forward model plans for Territory,” admits Ford Australia's spokesperson, Sinead McAlary.

“Basically, we are continuing to move forward with Territory.

But we are not sharing any details at this time.”

The changeover of the Territory is expected towards the end of the first quarter of next year, probably in late March.

The timing points to a preview of the updated Territory at the Melbourne motor show, with the first vehicles likely to come down the line at Broadmeadows some time in February. The changes to the Territory will be extensive, from sheetmetal to the interior.

But there is no news yet on a dedicated LPG model. Insiders point to a more edgy look to the body, which will pick up some of the Ford styling direction already incorporated in the FG Falcon. It could easily pass for an upsized Kuga, the European compact all-wheel-drive wagon based on the Focus.

But the work will be concentrated on the front end, with nothing major planned for the tail. The dashboard from the new Falcon, or at least elements from it, is expected to be transplanted into the Territory.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
Vacant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau

You do realise that the FG engine is basically the BA/F engine? The same I6 engine that has been in production for umpteen years?
Yep sure do, I am a tech in a Ford dealer. The pickup in the sump on a Territory is at the front of the engine and at the rear in FG, so therefore it WONT fit in a Territory......But hey, what would I know??????
What do you think Ford are going to use when production of the I6 stops? A rubber band???
Old 28-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Yep sure do, I am a tech in a Ford dealer. The pickup in the sump on a Territory is at the front of the engine and at the rear in FG, so therefore it WONT fit in a Territory......But hey, what would I know??????
What do you think Ford are going to use when production of the I6 stops? A rubber band???
The FG engine .... as in the I6 will fit in the Territory if required. There may be very minimal alterations required ...... but they will fit. The pick up is a minimal inconvenience, as was the placement for the cooler. That didnt fit either straight from the sedan. But you would know that.

We are not talking about what engine will follow the I6, thats not the topic as it has been covered and guessed upon countlessly. Actually this has turned left from topic .........

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 28-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 28-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if they update the Terry keeping the Barra 190 engine until the upgrade when V6 comes online.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
The makeover is not a big spend or a major alteration, but will give Ford's local wagon a worthwhile freshen-up and some added showroom impact. Ford is not quite ready to go public on the Territory update, although the company confirms something is happening.
Here is the answer, no FG drivelines as they would be major mechanical upgrades.

Ford and therefore FPV do not have the cash to do a major upgrade on the terri, it will just be a minor skin change and some interior changes. Especially on a vehicle that performed badly in the showrooms last time.

As for fastest SUV, not a hope but if it was built it would go hard.
Old 29-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
Vacant
Banned

Quote:
The FG engine .... as in the I6 will fit in the Territory if required. There may be very minimal alterations required ...... but they will fit. The pick up is a minimal inconvenience, as was the placement for the cooler. That didnt fit either straight from the sedan. But you would know that.
Suit your argument anyway you want, until I commented you implied the FG I6 would drop straight into Territory. Ofcourse it would fit if it was re-engineered, but it's not going to be.

[/QUOTE]We are not talking about what engine will follow the I6, thats not the topic as it has been covered and guessed upon countlessly. Actually this has turned left from topic .........[/QUOTE]
But your happy to have a comment though!!
Old 29-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back to the original topic... I think it would be very quick especially given the AWD capability, which could help if off the line better than the F6.

However, I think we'll find that the petrol Territories will soon be a thing of the past. They'll all end up being deisel.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Well the FG F6 does it in 4.7... however....being an SUV, it would add on a few fractions more... etc etc...

did i miss something, when did the new F6 do 0-100 in 4.7, every time i've seen is well over 5.0
Old 29-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

The Territory I6 had a different type sump than the BA-BF I6. It is a very similar engine and wouldn't cost a hell of a lot to carry over the sump and pickup.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #22
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I though any new model released had to conform to Euro 4 regulations?
Old 29-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:

Will a rubber band stop the condescending replies or shall I?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I was under the impression that Euro IV regs prohibited Ford from releasing a Territory in '09 with the FG powerplant - so they were just going to provide a mild facelift with no engine adjustment until they do the larger upgrade with the Euro IV compliant V6.

In regards to an F6 310 powered Territory, I think it'd be high 5s at least.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #25
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
did i miss something, when did the new F6 do 0-100 in 4.7, every time i've seen is well over 5.0
Wheels mag managed a 5.0 two up, there's a video linked in the Turbo forum here.
Old 29-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #26
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
They might be referring to this:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=autocar+0-100

The average 0-100 for the FG F6 has so far proven to be 5.0-5.1 secs in the hands of the media
Old 29-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #27
Vacant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Will a rubber band stop the condescending replies or shall I?
Do what you will, it's only a website not life support.
Old 29-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
So did the T1 @ 2 ..... didnt stop them building number 3? That was T'Ford, but same ideals. Not knowing too much about when and what exactly Euro 4 emission laws will be applicable but why is this engine been in development and used in F6's and cannot be used as an easy add on to the newer Terri?
The engine FG engine is Euro 3 compliant and was allowed to be released before 1st June this year. After that they're not allowed to use it in a new model.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The engine FG engine is Euro 3 compliant and was allowed to be released before 1st June this year. After that they're not allowed to use it in a new model.
Exactly, so it will continue with the current engines. Territory won't have any engine upgrades till the V6 goes in, but thats more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

There would never have been another F6X anyway, FG 310 engines or not.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post