Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Kenster

Default Car Detailer or Vehicle Detailer

Hey All,
I know this may be a stupid question but could anyone please help me out in figuring what is a car detailer or vehicle detailers??

Cause currently looking for a full time in the automotive industry (mostly as a mechanic) and i have been viewing some the jobs in the industry any chance someone please explain to me before i actually make a fool out of myself

Thank you for your help

Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they drive the car from the lot or the serivce bay. to the wash shed clean the exterior and interior and then park it up. Its a basic job.. You can also get new car detialers who polish and clean up new cars which are delivered to the dealership. Pay is usually 13-14 dollars per hour. If i was you i would rather getinto the parts side of things. Working at parts warehouse or delivery driving.. much better.

ps. i just left the automotive industry so this is all from previous experience ive had at a nissan dealership.

Hope this answers your question
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
XRchic
Hello

I gather you are not kidding (just checking the date to see if it isnt April 1st) LOL....

Detailers clean cars. Well a bit more than clean them, they detail them. Means that they do all the windows, clean inside, clean all the interior surfaces, possibly wax or polish the exterior paint, clean the wheels, grilles etc etc etc...

In dealerships detailers often do pre-delivery detailing on new cars, after the mechanics have done the pre-delivery mechanical checks and setting up of accessories etc.

Hope that helps mate...

Jac

PS To be a mechanic these days you need to apply for an apprenticeship with an employer and you will do your 4 years apprenticeship plus a Certificate III at TAFE. Pretty much need year 12 to do it too, now.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd say a car detailer/vehicle detailer is one and the same thing.

Although some who is in the know (more than I am) will impart more knowledge ... speak to DOC from Themboys ... HE IS IN THE KNOW.

In layman's terms : someone who cleans cars "really well" for a living ... although there is a lot more involved in this. Paint care/restoration and protection a part of this ... also varied cleaning/polishing/waxing techniques are involved that many of us on here do not know about too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Kenster

Thanks guys for the information the things

XRchic i have complete my year 12 i have left school for a while its just hard for me cause of my age most of the time and little expernice i have in the industry.

eed-250: Just wonder how do you get into the part side of things cause i have done a cert 2 in automotive which mostly involved fixing up cars how could i use that to help me get into the part area?
Old 21-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at my dealership the car cleaners did not polish the cars after the wash.Just a wash, shammy, vacuum, quick detail and done.
Your looking at approximately 30 mins for each car... aywhere between 12-15 cars a day.
Dont waste your time if ur looking to be a mechanic go and get an apprenticeship.. or getinto spare parts and become parts interpreter you get ur own vehicle and good bonus and great wage.
520rwhp
Old 21-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenter

XRchic i have complete my year 12 i have left school for a while its just hard for me cause of my age most of the time and little expernice i have in the industry.

eed-250: Just wonder how do you get into the part side of things cause i have done a cert 2 in automotive which mostly involved fixing up cars how could i use that to help me get into the part area?
for a start u dont need to have experience to become a mechanic.
The best way to get a job is to make yourself a heap of resumes. Take a day off and visit every big dealership you know of and introduce yourself to the parts manager or service manager and give them ur resume. Also try seek.com and look up jobs in the automotive industry
good luck
520rwhp
Old 21-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
for a start u dont need to have experience to become a mechanic.
The best way to get a job is to make yourself a heap of resumes. Take a day off and visit every big dealership you know of and introduce yourself to the parts manager or service manager and give them ur resume. Also try seek.com and look up jobs in the automotive industry
good luck
:hihi: funny you are saying that, cause that what i been doing for about a month or so now. Comes to think any chance you could help me out with it, im already looking for a place since i left the course, since it doesnt help for my age
Old 21-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago (depending on which State you were from also) but a Car detailer was exactly that.... a person that travelled from people's homes, businesses etc or allowed people to visit a place of business to have their car 'detailed'..

Whereas a vehicle detailer was the original name given to a car cleaner at a vehicle dealership...

The differences were massive (and still are) but now they are generally both called 'car detailers'.

Some of the people that 'clean' the cars for dealerships also run a 'detail' sideline...

Hope that helps..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
XRchic
Hello

Quote:

Mate, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Having year 12 is defintely an advantage. Having Cert II in Automotive is also important as most of them want this - good that you have both.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I mean, age is an issue with apprenticeships, but to what point I wonder?

Also, whats your location (I didnt look)? And where have you been looking?

Not having much experience in the industry shouldnt matter. An apprenticeship is about being trained.

Good luck mate

OK you are in SE Melbourne. I wonder if you would consider Geelong. Rex Gorell Ford there are ALWAYS looking for and advertising for apprentice mechanics. Its a long way to go though, I guess.

Old 21-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Car detailers dont just wash cars and dry them, theres alot more involved in it then that, full interior detailing, engine bay, plastic removal and in alot of cases orbital buffing etc.

New cars are easier especially if they are just new from the factory, other ones that have been in storage can take anywhere from 2 hours to a day to get right, specially if they are covered in bat ****, bird ****, dirt, leaves etc.

Some people would be really shocked if they seen how their new car was kept in storage before they bought it, some cars sit in dealers yards for up to 18 months, never washed out in the rain and sun all day.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you seriously want to get into car detailing there are detailing courses/schools that you might enquire with. Check their accreditation and references with past students as anyone worth joining should be happy to provide this information.

Today's detailers cover all aspects of cleaning/repairing car surfaces and interiors and exteriors. Some of the best detailers can charge well over $300 per car but will spend several hours on the vehicle and get it into car show condition. Gone are the days of claiming you are a detailer and just washing the outside and vacuuming the inside. The best will use a new high qual. buffing pad on every car, cleaning within the badge lettering leaving no dry polishing agents, use only the safest chemicals eg no Hydrofluoric acid on your rims and wash in the shade to reduce paint wear/damage.

Good luck.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
MRJUCY
Fordless

A problem with the detailing industry is there is no recognised certificate or training like their is for most other trades. If someone wants to call themselves a detailer they can so their is a lot of clueless hacks in the industry but their is also others who can do amazing work.

A good detailer will correct the paint defects through things like clay, wet sanding, buffing, sealing, waxing etc as well as cleaning & caring for the interior etc & is a lot more then some of the glorified car washers that sometimes call themselves detailers.

Their is lots of detailing sites & forums around the place check a few out to get an idea of what is involved.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my mate is a "professional" car detailer, I don't no how professional washing/cleaning cars can get/be. but yeah.... not sure how much $$$ after tax but it sounds resonable.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Mate, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Having year 12 is defintely an advantage. Having Cert II in Automotive is also important as most of them want this - good that you have both.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I mean, age is an issue with apprenticeships, but to what point I wonder?

Also, whats your location (I didnt look)? And where have you been looking?

Not having much experience in the industry shouldnt matter. An apprenticeship is about being trained.

Good luck mate

OK you are in SE Melbourne. I wonder if you would consider Geelong. Rex Gorell Ford there are ALWAYS looking for and advertising for apprentice mechanics. Its a long way to go though, I guess.

Hey Im 22 and Yeah im from the main part of melbourne, Im interest in going long distane to get to work I had once thought about trying geelong area but im not sure the area and how much my expense i will require for due to money issue. If there anyway pass me more information and i will give you a call asap about it place i cant thank you enough for it if you could do that for me
Old 21-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Hey Im 22 and Yeah im from the main part of melbourne, Im interest in going long distane to get to work I had once thought about trying geelong area but im not sure the area and how much my expense i will require for due to money issue. If there anyway pass me more information and i will give you a call asap about it place i cant thank you enough for it if you could do that for me
Rex Gorell Ford are the biggest (or one of the biggest) Ford dealers in the country, pretty much because of the Ford factory in Geelong. They go through mechanics pretty quickly. The conditions and pay arent flash and you have to be pushy to learn what you need to know.

The service manager there is called Ian Reed/Reid - well he was last time I knew. The phone number there is (03) 5222 3888.

Rex Gorell also owns a bunch of other dealerships in Geelong, so if you are happy to work on other things besides Fords, then you can start from there and look elsewhere too. I think there is even Rex Gorell BMW etc....

Here is the link to the Rex Gorell Family Group and it contains links to all his dealer brands as well.

http://www.rexgorell.com.au/

Old 21-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Rex Gorell Ford are the biggest (or one of the biggest) Ford dealers in the country, pretty much because of the Ford factory in Geelong. They go through mechanics pretty quickly. The conditions and pay arent flash and you have to be pushy to learn what you need to know.

The service manager there is called Ian Reed/Reid - well he was last time I knew. The phone number there is (03) 5222 3888.

Rex Gorell also owns a bunch of other dealerships in Geelong, so if you are happy to work on other things besides Fords, then you can start from there and look elsewhere too. I think there is even Rex Gorell BMW etc....

Here is the link to the Rex Gorell Family Group and it contains links to all his dealer brands as well.

http://www.rexgorell.com.au/
Thank so much i will give them a call tomorrow and see how it goes since i live in the inner part of melbourne whether able to sort something out
Old 21-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Righteo

A Yardie
A Car cleaner who usually refers to him/herself as a detailer but in reality doesnt have a clue. They wash and vac cars along with some other minor duties for New car yards rental companies etc etc.

The Used car detailer
Better than the yardie, can do most things reasonabley well as far as detailing goes. Steps more into the fix it to sell it category meaning that most of their work is a quick fix. Wash/vac/windows/chassis black/shampoo/interior clean and smother in amourall or similar/Buffing to a average standard. Most used car detailers have a good selection of tools and equipment but lack the real skills/knowledge to perform a true high level detail on a car.
Mobile detailers
About the same as above except they arent working in ideal conditions most of the time thus making live difficult.

A true detailer
Can perform every aspect of detailing and to a high standard. Isnt scared of black paint and doesnt stuff it either with temporary fixes. Can completely rid a paints surface of swirls. Has full buffing experience and knowledge of wet sanding. Can remove those nasty water marks off glass and most other annoying problems. A real detailer will have a selection of products that actually work and will spend a lot more time on a car that all the above. A full detail on a car to this standard can take any where from 8hrs - 16hrs+. Everything is done to bring the car up to the best presentable standard it can be at. A real detailer wont be cheap and you will pay for it. Most jobs of this level are around the $300 - 500+ and you wont be able to pick anything when the job is done.

There are exceptions to that though as with everything occasionally you'll find a good detailer in a pretty average job due to the pay being right. The only reason I stay where I am and not go out on my own is the pay and lack of headaches

I have seen so many so called detailers that have absolutely no clue at all and have actually walked out of jobs on the first day just due to the way they treat customers cars. There is money in this trade but you have to be good to get it or very fast and dodgy.
If you want an insight into the detailing world check out www.autopia.com

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

I got my car detailed on monday and it cost $179, took the guy about 3-4 hours to do. So pretty good money.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Thank so much i will give them a call tomorrow and see how it goes since i live in the inner part of melbourne whether able to sort something out
Cool - good luck mate. Just remember to tell them you have year 12 and your cert II in Automotive!!! And you dont have to tell them how old you are... its probably wise to do so if they ask, but DONT volunteer it.

They may just tell you to bring your CV in and come speak to them. Have it up to date ready to email them if needed. But if they suggest going in to meet them, then sound eager to do so!

Might be an idea to check the local Geelong papers too, if you can find one before you go, so you can see if they have an advertised position - they do most weeks. That way you can go in saying you have seen the ad (and therefore not look like an idiot if they mention it and you dont know about it)...

IF they have nothing going, then make sure you ask if they have contacts for service managers at other Rex Gorell dealers, or if they know if any of them need apprentices.

Also, if they have nothing going NOW, ask them if they will at sometime in the future, and would it be worth going down to meet them and give them a CV, for them to hold on to - so they can contact you if they decide to take on new apprentices a month or whatever down the track...

Just a few ideas anyway.

Old 21-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #21
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Some people would be really shocked if they seen how their new car was kept in storage before they bought it, some cars sit in dealers yards for up to 18 months, never washed out in the rain and sun all day.
Im sure some people will be shocked with what goes on behind the scenes. New cars being kept out in the sun & rain all day for upto 18 months (do you mean used car as well but new to them?) As id be supriesed at new car dealers keeping new cars out in the weather for upto 18 months seems a very long time. Well at least I know my car wasnt at the dealer - therefore weather long only about a month between manufacture & delivery.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

ok, seems that this has been answered fairly well, but as i am a detailer at my local ford dealership i felt obliged to throw in my 2.5 cents. as a used car detailer, my job involves washing, buffing and polishing the vehicle,and touching up any scratches or paint chips. i also have to clean the interior icluding vacuuming carpets/seats, stain removal and removing any nasty smells. we also clean glass, shine tires and clean engine bays. most of these tasks should be more or less typical for most detailers.

at our delearship we detailers also fit accessories (light/ bonnet protectors, mud spats), do paint protection, rust protection (both chemical and electric). we are also used on occassion as general hands/ gophers, doing deliveries or workshop maintaince.

i hope this sheds a little bit of light on the subject for you.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
SVR73
Mr Polish

I think sylox description just about covers it except

True detailers don't stop developing or updating their techniques and are always on the lookout for better products to save time and effort while delivering superior results
Old 26-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Im sure some people will be shocked with what goes on behind the scenes. New cars being kept out in the sun & rain all day for upto 18 months (do you mean used car as well but new to them?) As id be supriesed at new car dealers keeping new cars out in the weather for upto 18 months seems a very long time. Well at least I know my car wasnt at the dealer - therefore weather long only about a month between manufacture & delivery.
Usually between the build date and sale date a vehicle sits outside in the weather... Unless ofcourse the dealer has undercover storage which is the case with the bigger brands like mercedes and BMW, who usually have underground storage for new cars. Most Ford dealers however don't have this and cars are left out in the weather.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #25
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Usually between the build date and sale date a vehicle sits outside in the weather... Unless ofcourse the dealer has undercover storage which is the case with the bigger brands like mercedes and BMW, who usually have underground storage for new cars. Most Ford dealers however don't have this and cars are left out in the weather.
Superisely the BMW i know they dont cause i work right behinde the melbourne distrubtor place.

I have seen minis to 5 series outside the place just sitting there
Old 27-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #26
xwgthoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
paint protection, rust protection (both chemical and electric).
Hey v8falconsrule can you explain the difference between chemical and electric - May be a bit vague of me but I thought it would only be chemical done post manufacturing. I thought all that was required is just a good wax/polish to protect the paint. Thanks
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #27
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

a regular wash and polish will always be a great way to protect your paint, however there are several companys who produce products which 'claim' to do a better job

ok there are 3 seperate procedures here-
1-premium paint protection- this involves using a special wash followed by a special polish.

2-chemical rust protection- involves spraying rust proofing onto any unpainted surfaces under the vehicle, and in any areas where rust is likely to occur (door hinges, inner guard seams)

3-electronic rust protection- involves fitting 2 or 3 electrodes to a convenient metal surface. the electrodes are connected to the battery and an electrical current (12 vlt)travels through the body to prevent rust

now, in my experience the special wash/polish is worthwile because it makes it so easy to reclean the car..dust slides off, bug guts doesn't stick as good. the chemical approach seems to be fairly effective if done correctly, but is extremely messy particurly in the door arches and under bonnet areas. personally the electronic system doesn't work as it should, we have a demo territory at work with the elec fitted and it still shows signs of seam rust.
hope this helps

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post