Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 22-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #301
Petal

Where do you get the info on these events (yes I know, I am a girl....lol )
Petal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #302
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

usually we post the events in the EuroFordClub section of the forum (since that's where we all hang out most of the time). You'll definatley hear about events when they're on!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #303
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

But... I think if we plan one for Cougars and Probes exclusively, the thread should be posted in this section.

EFC has been a little quiet with events lately. The last couple have all been combined cruises.

Dan
Old 22-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #304
professorsabre
NECO

I'm up for a meet, (fest), I think you should all come down here October long weekend
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #305
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

lol..I'm happy to drive to the city of churches! Dunno about our NSW kittys! loll

Old 22-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #306
MTL10N
red kitty kat

Hi all,

First of all, I'm probably the last to welcome the new kat to the group but nonetheless, a warm hello to Petal.

Second of all, my humblest apologies for the recent absence...I can't even remember when my last post was...but anyways, I'll check in more or as often as I can.

Melissa, you're worried about a leaky door seal? I'll do you one better and raise you two cracked mounts that needs replacing, not to mention worn rear shocks. I'll be living on nothing but bread and water for the next few months :,( HELP!

Oh and don't worry...I'm one big n00b here as well, so you're not alone there Melissa. It's a good thing most of the kats here are full of wisdom and can provide guidance to us kittens when lost hehe.

As for a meet-up in the future...naturally count me in for anything. But with my track record of working the last 2 public holidays...I'll try my best to attend wherever/whenever it's scheduled for.

Tony
MTL10N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #307
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

ProfessorSabre?! Howdy Stranger!?!?!?

I would drive over to the city of Churches to put my car in at Car Toys and get some ProfessorSabre treatment underneath! hahahaha... Just like MTL10N I think I need my shocks replaced, I'm getting awful creaky sounds in cornering and bumps and stuff and the car feels looser than Paris Hilton...

Wanna try to source some Koni shocks or something rather than putting stocko ones back in. Get some cornering and handling confidence back in the car.

MTL10N, do you mind me asking how did you diagnose your suspension problems, and what's the damage bill? Did you go to a Ford dealer or something for it?

Dan
Old 23-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #308
MTL10N
red kitty kat

Well the past few weeks I've noticed a jolting/jerking action that only occurs between gears 2 and 3...just above the 2000rev mark. So I get it checked via an ex-mechanic and his prognosis was the throttle positioning switch (tps). Nothing major he says. But then he gave the engine a once over and noticed the front and rear mounts were slightly cracked. Also while he was driving he said the rear shocks needed replacing due to the noticeable ‘ka-thud’ sound with every impact from the road.

So I scout out Pedders…and they quote me: “due to the uniqueness of the car, it’ll have to be genuine Ford shocks” = $575 for both rear + about $200 on top of that for labour. WTF??? At this point I almost gave birth to a brown baby boy! Out of curiosity I stop by Thomson Ford and asked for a quote as well…and funny enough they’ll rip you a new one as well, naturally. To add further insult to injury, the mounts being replaced is almost equivalently hip-pocket-damaging.

So for the time being, I’m hunting around to find the parts myself (open to suggestions/advice). The lesson here as always, similar to all other previous threads, Ford parts/service guys are never shy in taking all your hard earned pennies.

Tony
Old 23-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #309
thearrow

Tony if you need new parts then you need to go here:

http://www.rockauto.com/

Look up Mercury Cougar and you will see the price in US$ I converted to A$ for two new shocks and the price delivered in Sydney is A$357.82 a big saving.

I can highly recommend Rockauto I ordered parts on Wednesday and they were deliverd to my house the following Wednesday with no problem.

If these are rear shocks it shouldn't be that hard to fit them yourself. It's the front ones you have to worry about.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #310
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a heads up ware i might be able to source a cougar eibach bonnet vent and set of wheels??

Cheers

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #311
thearrow

I suspect that you would have to import from the USA or maybe a friendly dealer might be able to get hold of one for you.

Regards
Old 23-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #312
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow
I suspect that you would have to import from the USA or maybe a friendly dealer might be able to get hold of one for you.

Regards
any recomendations. i tried wings west but nothing...

thanks mate

Old 23-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #313
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Wings West won't have them Sean because the scoop was made by Visteon. You're probably best to check at a Ford Dealer unfortunately. I think these things are way out of production now.

Maybe ProfessorSabre would sell you his as he doesn't seem to be using it anymore!

As for rims, I think Prof might also have a recommendation on that... Or try Wheel King I think it is - they might have them... Don't tell me these are for your Focus though? (Rims, maybe... scoop???)

- - -

Cougar owners, the rear shocks will be a pain to change. I can vouch for that after doing the springs. Surprisingly, we found the fronts were easier.

MTL10N, thanks for the info, I have great fears of damage like you explained, not that my car shows any symptoms, but I think I've read other members and Cougar owners having similar engine mount issues. I'll have to get her once overed completely before my Dealer Warranty runs out.

I know Koni did shocks for the car, and I think you can get a set for about $1200, but I'm not sure from where. Try Car Toys (www.cartoys.com.au), I know they're in SA, but they've helped ProfessorSabre and myself out in the past.

Dan
Old 23-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #314
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thanks dan..

wheel king want 550 a rim LOL! not toooo bad. but when seeing the wheels next to the st170 set.. st170 set look better ...

Bonnet scope for a project of mine...

Old 24-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #315
professorsabre
NECO

With wheels if you want genuine Ford / SVT rims you can get them imported from the US like I did and were approx USD120 per rim. Shipping was only local fee as they are imported by Raceparts in QLD, Metro Ford QLD, or Eagle Auto Spares in VIC. I got mine from Raceparts. These are the only rims similar to the ST170's that are available from Ford Racing catalogue.

or

As for the Eibach Scoop there's no way it's going to fit on a Focus if that's what you're thinking of doing. It's contoured to the Cougars V in the bonnet and slightly curved.

Still out on weather I want to get rid on mine.... I also have the Eibach side skirts and not sure if I want them gone as well.

Still loving the Wings West kit! You'll all see it when you get here in Oct

Also whoever was looking for the WW kit you can get it from Andys Autosport in the US. As Dan will attest IT'S NOT CHEAP!

Cheers
Old 24-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #316
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Professor, do you know if CarToys can still get Cougar Koni Shocks? I've started a hunt for a set. Not sure where else to look, so CarToys a good a place as any... I know... I should ring them myself.

Dan
Old 24-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #317
professorsabre
NECO

Dan I called CarToys today and spoke to Bruce, he confirmed the Koni shocks are available for our Cougars still. Listed under Mercury/Ford Cougar. Same part number for 2001 Ford Mondeo/Contour. He didn't have the price on hand. I told him you'd contact them for further info.
Cheers
Angelo
Old 24-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #318
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Angelo you're a legend. Thanks so much for doing that, I'll contact them soon... What I really need to do is be sure that it is the shocks that I need to be looking at. I don't want to replace a part that doesn't need replacing after all.

I'm guessing you got Car Toys to supply and install the shocks for your car? I'd need to find an installer too...

In any case, thanks a bunch!

Dan
Old 24-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #319
professorsabre
NECO

Not a problem Dan and yes Car toys supplied and fitted mine.
Cheers,
Angelo
Old 24-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #320
FumDuk

:( I got an orange engine light on when I was driving home from uni today... here we go again... I checked all my fluids but no luck, more bloody money...
Old 25-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #321
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FumDuk
:( I got an orange engine light on when I was driving home from uni today... here we go again... I checked all my fluids but no luck, more bloody money...
Why not get yourself a code reader and find out what is wrong, enough knowledge on here and over at NECO to at least figure out what may be wrong. It may not be a big issue at all.

How many kilometres have you got??

Could be as simple as leads/wires or plugs or coil pack, causing some misfires.

Find out the code, it basically only costs a couple more dollars than going to a mechanic to get a code reader and understand at least what is wrong with the car.
Custom Equal Length Headers and secondary pipes
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
and a greddy emanage waiting for install...
E-Manage Forums
A Mazda MPV is really only a cougar
in family friendly clothing............:
cpapashley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #322
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL10N
Well the past few weeks I've noticed a jolting/jerking action that only occurs between gears 2 and 3...just above the 2000rev mark. So I get it checked via an ex-mechanic and his prognosis was the throttle positioning switch (tps). Nothing major he says. But then he gave the engine a once over and noticed the front and rear mounts were slightly cracked. Also while he was driving he said the rear shocks needed replacing due to the noticeable ‘ka-thud’ sound with every impact from the road.

So I scout out Pedders…and they quote me: “due to the uniqueness of the car, it’ll have to be genuine Ford shocks” = $575 for both rear + about $200 on top of that for labour. WTF??? At this point I almost gave birth to a brown baby boy! Out of curiosity I stop by Thomson Ford and asked for a quote as well…and funny enough they’ll rip you a new one as well, naturally. To add further insult to injury, the mounts being replaced is almost equivalently hip-pocket-damaging.

So for the time being, I’m hunting around to find the parts myself (open to suggestions/advice). The lesson here as always, similar to all other previous threads, Ford parts/service guys are never shy in taking all your hard earned pennies.

Tony
Surely you can get them cheaper than that somewhere. That sounds like highway robbery.
:
Custom Equal Length Headers and secondary pipes
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
and a greddy emanage waiting for install...
E-Manage Forums
A Mazda MPV is really only a cougar
in family friendly clothing............:
cpapashley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #323
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Quote:
I often get the orange engine light if I park the car on an angle (front high, rear low)... I think it's because the coolant or some fluids in the engine aren't sitting properly. Usually, after an engine restart the engine light is gone.

However, the engine light is a sign of a great many problems in the car... so it might not be that simple.

Dan
Old 25-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #324
FumDuk

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapashley
Why not get yourself a code reader
Yeah good idea, where could I find one and how much you think it would be?

Quote:
How many kilometres have you got??
I just passed 100K, lol I had a camera in my car too and forgot to capture the moment... I'll try again at 111,111 haha
Old 25-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #325
MTL10N
red kitty kat

Quote:
Yeah good idea, where could I find one and how much you think it would be?

I just passed 100K, lol I had a camera in my car too and forgot to capture the moment... I'll try again at 111,111 haha

hehe was driving home from work not long ago when I pushed the 100k mark...and luckily I did have my cam with me...pics will arrive shortly to display momentous occassion :
Old 26-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #326
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hmm, i just passed 115,000! Still didn't take a photo. I'm waiting for 123,456!! haha

Old 29-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #327
Cougar_Cougs

Hello to all cool cat owners I know nothing about motors so I want all petrol heads to teach me and others what is ggggoooooooodddd to put under the bonnet or in the car.

Name of thing and what it does and why I/we should have it. : :eclipsee_
Cougar_Cougs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #328
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ok chief, here's the various options available to us kitty owners.

3 ltr conversion - Rip out the 2.5 and whack in the 3.0 from the Taurus/Escape
2.5 ltr Turbo - Requires battery re-location, lots of plumbing, exhaust, diff, transmission, clutch, suspension and brake upgrades to keep the possible 350fwhp from leaving the road
2.5 ltr Supercharger - Same deal as with the turbo, but u get that lovely whine
3.0 ltr Turbo/Supercharger - Using the bigger engine and then whacking on your forced induction of choice, with power up to 400fwhp (that i've seen)

These are all relatively expensive upgrades, but from those who have done them, they reckon it's worth it. For more info, join up and have a look at NECO (new edge cougar owners)

http://www.newcougar.org

And here's the stuff you'll be drooling over

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/modifications/

It's pretty much our other home. Ang, Dan and Myself frequent that site as much as this one. There's stacks of info due to the number of kitty owners on there from US, UK and other countries!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #329
thearrow

Default Neco Forums........

I am a regular on NECO visit it nearly every day.

This is my current contribution...........

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/road...sie-thing.html

Check it out and make a contribution. :
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #330
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hahaha, so very true!! I've left my two cents