Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #121
gutza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 548
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Hi Guys.

I stayed off this thread as, after reading a number of posts, I started to feel a little guilty about starting it.

It was never my intention to cause any problems between members.

So, while some of the posts were interesting, and some amusing, I still apologise.

As Jeff Fenech said .... " I love youse all "

Cheers.
gutza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #122
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 654
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

I, as an older drive, don't have any problems with it, nor am I upset.

My father drove until he was about 95, not very competently.
His first elderly accident was when he was about my age now, he did a left hand turn from the right hand lane on a roundabout, and of course it was not his fault that the car on his left hit him. That was my fault somehow, as I was the one who apparently wrote the ‘stupid’ rules for roundabouts.
His next stuff-up was during a RMS driving test, he was told to proceed straight ahead at an intersection. He got into the right turn lane, and when he got the green right turn arrow, drove straight ahead against the red light. Somehow that was also my fault, because I had not explained marked lanes and lights to him. License suspended pending a re-test.
I went to his house a couple of days later just as he was getting out of his car which he had driven to the shops. After a somewhat heated discussion, he agreed that he was driving unlicensed, and uninsured, but what was his alternative ? Too much of a problem to ask me to take him to the shops …….. he was OK to look after himself …….. been doing it all his life.
After I followed him home one day, he stopped at a green light to turn right, no cars coming, and when it turned red, he drove around the corner, again no other cars coming.
That was it, I told him to hand in his license, big argument, and when his next test came up, he did not renew it. My fault also, as I was being unreasonable.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #123
Franco Cozzo
Quarantine Security Team
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 37,821
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I, as an older drive, don't have any problems with it, nor am I upset.

My father drove until he was about 95, not very competently.
His first elderly accident was when he was about my age now, he did a left hand turn from the right hand lane on a roundabout, and of course it was not his fault that the car on his left hit him. That was my fault somehow, as I was the one who apparently wrote the ‘stupid’ rules for roundabouts.
His next stuff-up was during a RMS driving test, he was told to proceed straight ahead at an intersection. He got into the right turn lane, and when he got the green right turn arrow, drove straight ahead against the red light. Somehow that was also my fault, because I had not explained marked lanes and lights to him. License suspended pending a re-test.
I went to his house a couple of days later just as he was getting out of his car which he had driven to the shops. After a somewhat heated discussion, he agreed that he was driving unlicensed, and uninsured, but what was his alternative ? Too much of a problem to ask me to take him to the shops …….. he was OK to look after himself …….. been doing it all his life.
After I followed him home one day, he stopped at a green light to turn right, no cars coming, and when it turned red, he drove around the corner, again no other cars coming.
That was it, I told him to hand in his license, big argument, and when his next test came up, he did not renew it. My fault also, as I was being unreasonable.
Usually how it goes when child tries to tell parent something regardless of age
__________________
The Lebonator build thread - Melbourne Northern Suburbs Special.

Standard weapon of choice for ethnics wearing backwards baseball caps from low socioeconomic-ville
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #124
zilo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutza View Post
Hi Guys.

I stayed off this thread as, after reading a number of posts, I started to feel a little guilty about starting it.
It was never my intention to cause any problems between members.
So, while some of the posts were interesting, and some amusing, I still apologise.

Cheers.
well...ya don't see posts like this very often.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #125
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutza View Post
Hi Guys.

I stayed off this thread as, after reading a number of posts, I started to feel a little guilty about starting it.

It was never my intention to cause any problems between members.

So, while some of the posts were interesting, and some amusing, I still apologise.

As Jeff Fenech said .... " I love youse all "

Cheers.
Yep it's all your fault!
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #126
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
You guys give way to others at roundabouts?

Same with traffic lights:

Green - go
Yellow - go faster
Red - look, then go

I understand what MercuryT is getting at, some geriatric turned right from the left lane of the roundabout when they shouldn't have.

I wasn't aware TAS had hook turn roundabouts
Thank you Mr Cozzo.

But yes this thread is enlightening and appears no road rules exist so yeah who cares about stopping for a red light.....
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #127
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Some of our elders remind me of Weekend at Bernies. Fantastic movie.

Bernie about as capable at a roundabout.....

https://youtu.be/WvITkVaOpUs
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #128
Cav
Dead Set Tosser
Donating Member2
 
Cav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yap-Hoon
Posts: 14,650
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Thank you Mr Cozzo.

But yes this thread is enlightening and appears no road rules exist so yeah who cares about stopping for a red light.....
I think you'll find that the rules say to stop on amber.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #129
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 6,515
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

I hope this bloke isn't 80yo!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34gMahO9mE
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #130
.:4:.
Kicking back
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Western sydney
Posts: 5,181
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I think you'll find that the rules say to stop on amber.
Stop on amber? Doesnt that just mean speed up?
__________________
Good ideas are only good if you remember them
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #131
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Ben73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NSW
Posts: 3,820
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

That is simply a variation of the rule that the driver crossing a dotted line must give way....a dotted line is a "Give Way" sign.

Remember though...just cause a vehicle is in the right lane and if you are entering the left lane he still has the right of way in both lanes...because he is already in the roundabout....and you are not.

BUT...entering a roundabout also crosses a Give Way line, therefore the give way to vehicles already on the roundabout takes precedence.


That...is the law, perhaps imperfect but a law, whether one agrees with it or not.
Are you talking about two cars entering the roundabout from the same direction?
That's what I thought this whole debacle was about.

If two vehicles enter from two separate lanes coming from the same direction, there will be no conflicting movements. Neither will have to give way.
Unless one wants to change lanes, then they must give way no matter who entered first or who is on the left or right.
__________________
16 Grand Cherokee
19 Jimny
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #132
zilo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Are you talking about two cars entering the roundabout from the same direction?
That's what I thought this whole debacle was about.
No I am not.
One is already in the roundabout in the right lane, the other is not in yet but entering from the left lane.
My point is that regardless of what lane is occupied by the vehicle already in the roundabout it has absolute right of way in both lanes with respect to the vehicle entering which has to give way unequivocally to all vehicles already in the roundabout who can change lines in the roundabout as much as they please.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
If two vehicles enter from two separate lanes coming from the same direction, there will be no conflicting movements. Neither will have to give way..
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Unless one wants to change lanes, then they must give way no matter who entered first or who is on the left or right.

You had me until that bold bit, which I say is probbly incorrect....but i don't know whether the context you are applying is to both entering at same time from same direction or another scenario?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2020, 11:12 PM   #133
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quite correct Ben73.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #134
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
You had me until that bold bit, which I say is incorrect.
The left lane is never "in" the roundabout as the lanes clearly show two options. Left or straight. NOT right.

The right lane equally has only two options. Right or straight. NOT left.

No giving way exists as one car is enterering the roundabout the other is bypassing it.

This make me dizzy!
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #135
zilo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
The left lane is never "in" the roundabout as the lanes clearly show two options. Left or straight. NOT right.

The right lane equally has only two options. Right or straight. NOT left.

No giving way exists as one car is enterring the roundabout the other is bypassing it.

This make me dizzy!
We all agree....I think?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #136
MercuryT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
MercuryT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
We all agree....I think?
Yep.

Then no.

Then yep.

MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL