Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #31
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
How would you like the Tax to be implemented?
Would you like the Carbon Tax on fuel say 30c or would you like a Tax implemented on your car renewal based on weight/ fuel consumption and CO2 emissions?
I guess we're still lucky, only having fuel at $1.70. I remeber being in Holand 5yrs ago, they were paying $2.50 then.
I'll probably get shot but ....... Whether this global warming crap is real, nobody knows, but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
Krudd has no one but his own stratagies at heart , he is after all a one term pm so will shaft us without mercy and certainly wont put in place anything long term , only a fool would look to the labor party for construction , if they cant stop committing stupid acts like threatening restaurant staff how would they form a sensible stratagy in the face of rising fuel prices ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
How would you like the Tax to be implemented?
Would you like the Carbon Tax on fuel say 30c or would you like a Tax implemented on your car renewal based on weight/ fuel consumption and CO2 emissions?
I guess we're still lucky, only having fuel at $1.70. I remeber being in Holand 5yrs ago, they were paying $2.50 then.
I'll probably get shot but ....... Whether this global warming crap is real, nobody knows, but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!

The Earth cooled 0.7degrees C in the last year.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #33
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a bit of a whinge but ill contribute anyway. I am a plasterer and fuel is effecting me alot . I now pay $200(somtimes more) a week driving my xr8 and towing a trailer . Also with lack of work need to go further to get it.
But the hard bit is the limited options or lack of good ones.
1.sell the ute for somthing cheaper to run ,very bad resale, an would only save 3-4litres tops per 100k on somthing that would cost 10k+ on my sale price
2. put it on gas 5k for that ,short term fix
3. raise prices, works allready slowing down ,need to reduse costs to get more work
4. work more hours ,interest rates is creating a work shortage,will run out of work quicker
5. lay off a worker ,he's gotta eat to
This is what i did i went for no.2 I booked in for gas . I hope somthing will get better it needs to i am scraping bye but crossing the fingers it does not get much worse. A extra 30c a litre is far from better .

Need to put a sail on the back of the ute .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #34
Bobman
Regulator

LPG - The sensible way of motoring.

Or smelly diesel (if you do a few kms). I've noticed a reduction in some traffic over certain hours of the day, guess that's a good thing though.

A bad effect of high fuel prices is the increase in groceries and the decrease in people spending any money or going out, thus = business downturn. (ie not as many people not dining at restaurants, etc).

Times are tough, that's for sure.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #35
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Kyoto protocol... Nice one Rudd, how I hate you more every day.

Australia is too big for crap like this.... sigh.
Old 29-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
does someone know the exact break up of the cost of fuel as we pump it from the servo., ie operator, tax, fuel companies???
As said by JPFS1 from the linked forum post. I have changed the figures to reflect current prices etc:

Quote:
here's a break down of petrol pricing in $Aus.

AUS/USD = 0.96c (today)
Crude = $US 147 (last night)
Cost of 1L of Crude = 147/159 = US$ 0.925

1L of Crude in AUS$ = 96.2c
Excise = 38.15c (remains a constant)
GST = 13.44c
Petrol station margin ~ = 3c

So total is 150.8c a litre.

According to todays MotorMouth site, the av. price for fuel in Sydney today = $1.644

That's a 13.6c margin back to the oil co.

As you can see, at the moment, the government coffers must be laughing all the way to the bank when you consider they are receiving ~50c per litre in TAX.
And looking back a handful of years lol:

Quote:
Table 3.1 - Components of the Price of a Litre of Petrol

Component__________Price (cpl)__________Proportion (%)

Refined Petrol__________46__________________47

Excise Tax_____________38__________________39

Retail/Wholesale
margins and Freight______4___________________4

GST___________________9___________________10

Total__________________97__________________100

Source: Caltex Website: www.caltex.com.ay.pricing/pricingex1.html 8 October 2001,
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #37
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I swear i saw that bike on Springvale road a few months back!
Old 29-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #38
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
So does this mean Ice Age occuring for Northern hemisphere???? WOW seems like something is happening hey!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
What was the avearge temperature of Earth every year for the past 500?
Did it stay exactly the same or vary?

Or does that not help your panic attack?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #40
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real? Do you have Kids? Do you think how all this could affect them down the track?
If this decision adds lots of coin to there warchest, so be it, they'll have to give it back in some way, ie/better public transport etc.
Would you be happy if elma phud said they'd donate the Carbon tax to CSIRO for R&D into Organic production of fuel so we don't have reliance on the the new wave of Terror? Probably not, Your probably only looking 4yrs down the road.............
I Got 2 mates who are environmental scientist's and my Uncle is the environmental go to guy on the hole global warming Jargon i get fed it all the time. Kyoto is outdated, it was signed as a post election hype

I have huge issues with the way the whole carbon Tax works, Bottom line is a group of people is once agene will be making big money out of it and once agene it’s the Average Joe Public that makes the smallest impact takes the hard hit.

My Top boss at work has, a SL5000 Merc, Range rover sport and some other Merc 4WD+ a 60ft Boat do you thick he gives a toss about a Carbon Tax NO, The company Quotes now just get adjusted to cover it and he’s on a $600,000 salary, Do I get a pay rise to cover it NO I just get to Cop it sweet.

If it happens where does my $18 a week in Fuel carbon tax go to?? And how is it helping change the environment. The WA Government just received Billions in new iron ore revenue due to a price hike why is that not being pumped into Environmental change?? No that we will just stick another TAX on fuel instead.

You do the math, if say Just in Australia 20,000,000 people pay $18 a week in carbon tax and all that money is pumped into Environmental change and research, if we don’t have car’s in 3 years that covert goat P*&% into gasoline that when burnt produces oxygen questions need to be rased.

Now that Fuel is 1.60 a liter why don't they take all that Extra Cash they get from that 10%GST that used to take 10% of 90CPL and put that into the environment.

Economist's and Governments Talk growth, growth and growth as well as cliament change, well ya can't have ya cake and eat it to.

Australia’s Footprint on a global scale is so stupidly small even if we go 100% carbon neutral it isn’t going to do Chit.

End rant.
Old 29-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #41
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we need to get off our fat ar$es and walk alittle more!

Lets all be realistic about this. Surely everyone knows its about money. I don't know much about these things as I am just a lay man, but the higher the fuel price, the higher the tax revenue. Think the government truely gives a toss about us? Pay up people. Running the country is now become a business seeing who can raise the biggest pile of coin.
I to enjoy going for a cruise just as much as the next car lover. But I haven't taken the TS on the highway since January this year. It's not the daily driver .... I'm also fortunate that I live in a small town where everywhere is only 10 minutes from home, and I commute to and from work via company car.
The wifes dual cab, on the other hand, paying $1.88 a litre for diesel does hurt. Lucky it lasts about a month (120L tank). Here we pay an extra 10c a litre more for fuel then on the coast ... and we are only 180 from a coastal fuel station. You can't tell me it costs that much per litre to get it out here! When you are towing 40000 litres ..... well you do the sums.
I agree, it shouldn't be this way as it will affect the nation as a whole. Tourism industries will die, transport of food etc has to increase. That snowball is starting to build up and gain momentum, and when it stops, it will stop with a hard, sudden bang. Only then will we know the true impact of all this.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #42
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real?
Its called the circle of life. Earth heats up, earth cools down.... To what we know is an ICE AGE that happens every so many million years. We are only increasing the time frame it comes around by pumping crap into the air. It is inevitable and there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it coming around again. Its just how the world works.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #43
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Control
I'm sure we won't be paying $2 a litre soon
You're in denial then.

We have it lucky here with petrol prices. What we don't have is good roads/public transport.

My mate just bought a rego'd old carolla for $600. Costs him stuff all to run compared to his charger and spends about $50 on fuel a week. I'm going to be doing the same thing. Most people say it's a waste and costs more to get a second car, eh. It adds up pretty quick, and though I realise others may be in different situations. I'd rather pay around $900-1300 up front for a cheap car, just cop it on the chin and be able to drive where ever I want, then feel like a penny pincher with petrol every single week.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #44
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone sent me an e-mail which could be a load of rubbish but I think it could work. I have noticed for some years that BP seem to dictate the retail price of fuel. The local BP put the price up one day, and the following day the other servos follow suit. And it boggles the mind to see muppets lining up to buy at BP when it's 10c cheaper down the road. The e-mail suggested boycotting BP, therefore forcing them to lower prices to be competitive, and hopefully the other companies would do the same to remain competitive.

More to the point, I too feel that we pay too much tax. Your income is taxed before you get it. Everything you buy with the money left over is taxed. I wonder what the average percentage of our income ends up with the tax man......
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #45
GSH
AU2 XR8

it`s seriously controlling people and our lives..........

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR65spd
Someone sent me an e-mail which could be a load of rubbish but I think it could work. I have noticed for some years that BP seem to dictate the retail price of fuel. The local BP put the price up one day, and the following day the other servos follow suit. And it boggles the mind to see muppets lining up to buy at BP when it's 10c cheaper down the road. The e-mail suggested boycotting BP, therefore forcing them to lower prices to be competitive, and hopefully the other companies would do the same to remain competitive.
Perhaps things are different in WA but then WGAS, it's WA.

In Sydney, at least, BP means squat. Notice the 200 car queue outside the couple of stations that offer 4c off (not BP, even though you can get a BP Mastercard that gives you 5% off which is double the 4c shopper dockets...) the sheep flock towards Coles and Woolworths inspired petrol stations. It's sad to the point that it's sickening, but the sheep have spoken.

I never realised saving ~$2.50 by sitting in an hour queue is obviously that spiritually fulfilling.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #47
bob^
LPS

Long term, I don't think the high petrol prices will be a bad thing. Hopefully with the technology we have now compared to the last oil crisis, it will push the development of alternative fuels and we can reduce our dependency on oil.
The high prices will turn around and bite OPEC on the ***.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #48
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Alternative fuels will then be taxed to the buggery!! Look what's happening to LPG, an excise to go on soon (unsure of when exactly). I could convert to LPG and would make sense but I could also take public transport to work as well (as much as I loath PT) and make a similar saving.

Carbon trading & a carbon footprint tax?? It'll happen. What a god damn scam!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #49
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Maybe we need to get off our fat ar$es and walk alittle more!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #50
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Alternative fuels will then be taxed to the buggery!! Look what's happening to LPG, an excise to go on soon (unsure of when exactly). I could convert to LPG and would make sense but I could also take public transport to work as well (as much as I loath PT) and make a similar saving.

Carbon trading & a carbon footprint tax?? It'll happen. What a god damn scam!!
I wouldn't call a 12.5c/litre excise taxed to buggery.
And yep, it's all a scam in my eyes too. Scare the people into thinking climate change is their fault and thus making it okay to put a tax on it. Just like the "alco-pop" tax is in the interest of the poor little kids.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #51
Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
You're in denial then.
my friend who studies commerce agrees with me, he says the reason petrol has jumped up so much lately is because now when you see petrol going for $1.55 you think you are getting a bargain, yet you are still gatting ripped, you just don't realise it as much.
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #52
bEAn86

it isnt too bad, i often fill up on thursdays, its heaps better, no line ups, i can pick the pump i use (i only use odd numbered pumps) ,ect. The few bucks u lose are made up for time that isnt lost!
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #53
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol costs were starting to pinch, so I took the XR6T off the company car allowance, parked it up, drive it on weekends(which is nice that the KM's I do in it are for pleasure only purposes, rather than the drugery of work) and took a fully funded company car...

Hence, I don't care any more.

A good by-product of high petrol costs, is the freeways seem a little less congested...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #54
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Fuel prices

Hi all
Id like to make some comments first I drive Mack semi it costs my boss at least 300 litres a day @ $1.70/litre multiply that by the ten rigs we have thats $5000 per day what the hell does linfox spend then?
Im 60 and when I was doing my apprentaship back in the sixties a grade mechanics got $40 per week I got $15 to start and finally got $40 after 5 years
now work out the percentages here Super petrol cost 40 cents a gallon about 8 cents per litre Diesel was 20 cents per gallon about 4 cents and Kero was 10 cents a gallon about 2 cents a litre
lets do the maths here Im not sure of Mechanic wages these days but I would reckon it has to be $1200 a week at least if not you should be in a truck OK so $1200 / week to $40 per week is 30 times OK now petrol @ 8 cents X 30 = 240 ie $2.40 so to my way of thinking we pay less now percentage wise
is there any one else that can remember the cost of fuel and parts back then
get on board and tell us your experiences with fuel
sorry for the long letter thanks JOHN
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #55
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Hi all
Id like to make some comments first I drive Mack semi it costs my boss at least 300 litres a day @ $1.70/litre multiply that by the ten rigs we have thats $5000 per day what the hell does linfox spend then?
Im 60 and when I was doing my apprentaship back in the sixties a grade mechanics got $40 per week I got $15 to start and finally got $40 after 5 years
now work out the percentages here Super petrol cost 40 cents a gallon about 8 cents per litre Diesel was 20 cents per gallon about 4 cents and Kero was 10 cents a gallon about 2 cents a litre
lets do the maths here Im not sure of Mechanic wages these days but I would reckon it has to be $1200 a week at least if not you should be in a truck OK so $1200 / week to $40 per week is 30 times OK now petrol @ 8 cents X 30 = 240 ie $2.40 so to my way of thinking we pay less now percentage wise
There is no way a mechanic is getting $1200 a week, unless they run their own business or a very good supervisor. i would be thinking of more along the lines of $700-$800 a week

so $800 / $40 = 20 times, 20*8= $1.60cpl

Last edited by XplosiveR6; 29-06-2008 at 09:19 PM.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Hi all
The government gives a rebate on diesel fuel (use to be 17.5c/l but its higher now) to commercial trucks. If your GVM is over 20T then there is a full rebate below that is only if you leave you home city.

But I get your point.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #57
WASP
Whipple Induced

The rising price of fuel has actually given me the perfect opportunity to do something I thought I would never do. For the more mundane weekly commuter duties I have resumed using public transport a few times a week now or using an economical practical vehicle to go to the office. I have to admit I’m not one to focus too much on the cost of fuel being a performance car enthusiast. The motivators for me were more around setting a good example for my kids and staff, plus being an owner of a highly modified vehicle I wanted to use it more for enjoyment and less as a taxi.

I’ve found the whole experience quite interesting so far. The GT has become that special car again that I really look forward to driving on occasion and on the weekend. I no longer worry about where it’s parked and what obstacles I will need to negotiate with it in the city. The money I save during the week I now spend on the weekend driving it for fun instead of weekly commuter duties.

My staff are shocked that their ‘rev-head’ Boss is not above ‘bussing’ it to work like some of them do, while my kids (8 & 10) are proud that their Dad is ‘trying’ to look after the frogs and their environment to

Colville
Old 30-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #58
fordfan351
Now serving defect #6

I read on the CNN website today that the US is preparing for conflict with Iran...Analysts have predicted fuel around the $3 a litre mark in the event of this conflict becoming a reality. At $3 a litre society as we know it breaks down.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ran/index.html

Buckle Up!!
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #59
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last time i fueled up was easter, I need to get out more i think, but i am up to 12K ( or so ) on the clock in the 2005 Mk!!.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #60
ogtrip
Starter Motor

How can I afford to sniff petrol now!