Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

IF you could be crafty and knock 15g of the price it would be worth it.

Hell, you could even get the car custom resprayed while your at it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
Blast2

If you buy a repairable car from any auction house before car is registered
car needs to go back to auction house for inspection before being registered,
which you have to pay for inspection. You can get a good buy but be aware of all fees and details at auction.
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #33
buickman
buickman

I Had 3 cars damaged plus the house roof in the recent hail storm in Melb.

Two that were viewed by the insurance company were written of 1 a repairable write off the other a statuary write-off as it had a sunroof that was damaged.

I've got a claim number for the wife’s 2002 Mazda SP20 with just over 60,000KMs and have 12 months to present the car but will wait until the rego comes due just in case they write the car of with 56 dints in the roof I gather a complete roof, bonnet and repairs to the bolt on panels if they decide to repair the car.
As for buying a hail damaged car it depends on the amount of hail damage to the roof a couple is not that bad but if it's got dints all over it like the cars we had hit buy the hail I don't think I would.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #34
bigdude1011

Dad's really wants a Mercedes-Benz, and after having a look around on Pickles' site, we saw a few storm damaged ones in the write-off section, and they don't look too bad, according to the pictures (not a good way to look at a car's condition though). Here's an example though: http://bit.ly/9TiSWo
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
IF you could be crafty and knock 15g of the price it would be worth it.

Hell, you could even get the car custom resprayed while your at it.
Was just going to say the same thing.... The Festiva used to be white and was resprayed to a colour of my liking after a very bad hail storm.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #36
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_060606
Hey Guys,
I work for a Dealer in Melb that was caught up in the Hail Storm. We had minor damage to all but 4 vehicles in stock, and none were written off. Its too time consuming to fix the vehicles, and based on what we get back on average per vehicle its better to notify the people and offer them an incentive to purchase.

The thing i wish people would understand, if it has one dint in the bonnet and a slight dint in the roof, this does not mean your going to get $10,000 off. The vehicles still owe the dealer money, and depending on the extent of the damage on the cars, will depend how much the insurance company pays back. Most likely you will be offered compinsation that covers the cost and then some to fix the vehicle.
All customers at our Dealership are informed on which cars are effected.
The thing people need to understand is it's the dealers problem the vehicles are damaged. If I was to trade my vehicle in being damaged but professionally repaired (which you noted upon inspection) would you offer me the same money for my trade in as the same vehicle without the damage? I doubt it. Likewise, you're hail damaged vehicle is worth half it's price to me.

The most these heavily damaged vehicles in Perth are probably only worth 50% of their RRP. Most repair costs will run into the thousands upon thousands of dollars. Speak to any panel beater what a roof job is worth and you'd be lucky to get change from $10k. Further to that, you may find it hard to insure your repaired vehicles.

The dealers are attempting to capitalise on the gullable folk who think they can pickup a bargain.
Old 28-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
Speak to any panel beater what a roof job is worth and you'd be lucky to get change from $10k. Further to that, you may find it hard to insure your repaired vehicles.

10K...? No where near

at the most a a centercap replacement would cost >5K...most insurance companies go via PDR's now...we just had a hail damaged Wl statesmen at work... Bonnet, roof, Boot and a full side all paintless repaired.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #38
LUXO_8
windsor user

how did it come up?...honestly
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #39
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
10K...? No where near

at the most a a centercap replacement would cost >5K...most insurance companies go via PDR's now...we just had a hail damaged Wl statesmen at work... Bonnet, roof, Boot and a full side all paintless repaired.
Sorry, I should have been more specific rather than generalising when I said "speak to any panel beater".

The one I spoke to said the repair job would be around $10k, on a $75k car, for the roof only. I know he would do the job in such a way that it would not be noticeable the repair was done. And no, he would not do a repair job as instructed by an insurance company.
Old 28-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
how did it come up?...honestly
The stateo? Damn good, Couldn't tell it had been dented...Our PDR bloke is a god.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
nstg8a

we bought our missus' pos excel 18 months ago with existing hail damage, being new to the country had never heard of the 'no insurance for hail damaged cars' story...

but, we had no trouble obtaining full comp' insurance for it, it was only when we changed insurance companies for a better deal that it caused a problem, and that was just an exclusion in the policy that it wasnt covered for any hail damage... no great drama really.

i think those saying insurance companies wont touch them either arent looking hard enough or just plain talking out their ***.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #42
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
we bought our missus' pos excel 18 months ago with existing hail damage, being new to the country had never heard of the 'no insurance for hail damaged cars' story...

but, we had no trouble obtaining full comp' insurance for it, it was only when we changed insurance companies for a better deal that it caused a problem, and that was just an exclusion in the policy that it wasnt covered for any hail damage... no great drama really.

i think those saying insurance companies wont touch them either arent looking hard enough or just plain talking out their ***.
Having previously had 8 years experience in the insurance industry - a lot of insurance companies will not fully comprehensively insure vehicles with existing damage - regardless of how it occured such as accident, hail etc.

It becomes too complicated later if a claim is made to determine how much should be paid by the insurance company and how much should be paid by the owner to have the vehicle repaired, especially when the owner is asked to contribute money towards the repairs beyond the excess - they are usually not happy, especially if its a significant amount.

If you've managed to find insurance thats suitable, thats fantastic and you've done a good job shopping around for your needs. Although insurance companies do tend to find out about pre-existing damage when a claim is lodged as the vehicles owners "neglected" to disclose the damage upon applying for the insurance - I hope yours doesn't fit this scenario.

The people who have stated their concerns with insurance are not talking out their ***

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)

Last edited by Springfield_Johny; 29-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
brendo83

I would buy one depending on how bad the damage is, but unless you are a panel beater you can't really judge that for yourself.
I would arrange a time for a PDR guy to come to and quote the car before you buy it, that way you know exactly what it will cost to fix, and if its worth buying over a non damaged one.
I wouldn't buy one that was written off though for obvious insurance and resale issues.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #44
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Depends - my mate bought a hail damaged car, got it fixed, full respray, you can't tell. It worked out cheap but not always the case.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #45
RRM
Starter Motor

If the sale price was cheap enough to get me into a brand new car of a model I wanted but couldn't otherwise afford, hell yes! Drive it looking rough as guts for a few months, until I could afford to bet the bonnet, roof & boot bogged and resprayed.

Bonnets, roofs & boots aren't usually bad rust areas so should forgive a bit of bogging & respraying...
RRM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #46
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny

If you've managed to find insurance thats suitable, thats fantastic and you've done a good job shopping around for your needs. Although insurance companies do tend to find out about pre-existing damage when a claim is lodged as the vehicles owners "neglected" to disclose the damage upon applying for the insurance - I hope yours doesn't fit this scenario.

The people who have stated their concerns with insurance are not talking out their ***
damage was declared up front to both insurance companies, no point in giving them an excuse to not pay oout, might as well not get it in the first place.

with the 2nd insurance company it had to be inspected first, pics were taken, and the 'no hail damage coverage' clause added.

no shopping round needed, 1st insurance company was the one recommended by the car yard, 2nd was racq, which we swapped to after seeing an ad...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #47
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe there might be some enterprising panel beater out there. Mythbusters had a show where they tested the aerodynamics of a car with hundreds of dimples in it, like a golf ball (which supposedly improves the balls areodynamics). Even with the extra weight of an outer layer of clay (to enable dimpling process), it was found that the car ran 11% more fuel efficient with the dimples. Thus soemone just needs to punch a few hundred dimples in a hail damaged car (in the meantime covering up the hail damage), and they can sell a more efficient car.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #48
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well apparently Pickles sold 5 million dollars worth of hail damaged cars today, who'd have thought. One guy got one for his daughter and said "She'll be stoked".

The best buy was a 400k Merc that went for $214 grand, I recognised the buyer, one of Perths most sucessful privately owned Real Estate Company owner.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #49
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know if Toyota or Ford suffered. Surely they would have had quite a few cars sitting at broadmeadows or Port Melbourne, or on the docks. Or were they just plain lucky.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #50
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw on the news a lady bought a hail damaged 2007 Lancer for $9,000 & a guy bought a Merc for $200,000.
I told this to a guy at work and said "The guy bought the merc for half price! as its worth $400,000!" - and he replied "No its not" ----- touche`

Id only buy a 4x4 so scratching/denting it would not be constantly on my mind as im going bush whilst enjoying the nice interior.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #51
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
If I was to trade my vehicle in being damaged but professionally repaired (which you noted upon inspection) would you offer me the same money for my trade in as the same vehicle without the damage? I doubt it.
+1, speaks the truth.
Old 14-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #52
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd do the maths on repair and then screw them as hard as I could... no point buying it, going to all the hassle unless you're at least 5 grand in front by the end of the process because the resale value will have dropped... people are less likely to trust a car that's had such major paint work.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #53
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Depends on the damage.

My SX Territory Ghia had hail damage. Had 5 dints in it in total. 2 on the bonnet and 3 on the roof...

Bought it for $42,000 brand new and spent $350 on paintless dent removal... You would never know it had been dinted, and it was a brand new car!

Was the best car ive ever owned too btw!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #54
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of good deals to be had if you do your homework and buy the right car, at the right price and in the right condition.....
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #55
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hail Sale, would you buy one?

Old thread, but still the same question...

Has anyone bought a hail damaged car?
I am particularly interested in whether there were issues insuring it?

There are a couple of good prices at the moment on some cars with minimal hail damage. It's actually highly appealing, because in reality it is purely cosmetic, and if you've seen my daughter's cars after a few years of scrapes, then a couple of small dents are the least of their problems.
Old 25-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #56
black13
born to be mild

Friend bought an au a few years back, just a couple of weeks back I noticed an indent the bonnet, then on closer inspection I noticed small indents all aver the car. At 1st site you cant see the indents, but when you look close you can see its all over the top over the car. He aint worried , mechanically it has given him no grief. If it is daily hack its no prob. At the time he didn't know it was hail damaged, only until I pointed this out to him. Its been a reliable daily for him, so he is happy
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r

Last edited by black13; 25-05-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add to reply
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #57
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Old thread, but still the same question...

Has anyone bought a hail damaged car?
I am particularly interested in whether there were issues insuring it?

There are a couple of good prices at the moment on some cars with minimal hail damage. It's actually highly appealing, because in reality it is purely cosmetic, and if you've seen my daughter's cars after a few years of scrapes, then a couple of small dents are the least of their problems.
As long as you declare it as hail dmg, think they may ask for quote or will ask for contribution if in accident. Others may just offer you third party only (covering other vehicle/property)
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #58
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My nephew bought a 4 Y.O Corolla with hail damage for about$7000 a couple of years ago.60,000 kms drives as good as a new car and as he said go to the supermaret car park a few times and it would look like this anyway As an aside he's fairly laid back and said "well you can't see any dents while driving along the road anyway"At that price he would only have put bomb insurance on it so the dents don't matter
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #59
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

There are two ways to look at the cosmetic damage hail does to a car.

You can look at it with your naked eye and spend a couple of hours marking off all the dents and be amazed at how many you can find if you persevere.

Then when you are finished you can put a ‘line-light’ on it and fall over dead when you see the real extent of the damage.

It is astonishing how much the naked eye does miss.

In saying that, my last Ute was caught in a storm and not a panel missed out.

There were 60 odd dents in total.

I paid a paintless dent remover $1100 and after one day with it you would never have known it had been marked.

There are some people out there that have phenomenal skills who can massage anything back into shape.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #60
BionicXR6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
There are two ways to look at the cosmetic damage hail does to a car.

You can look at it with your naked eye and spend a couple of hours marking off all the dents and be amazed at how many you can find if you persevere.

Then when you are finished you can put a ‘line-light’ on it and fall over dead when you see the real extent of the damage.

It is astonishing how much the naked eye does miss.

In saying that, my last Ute was caught in a storm and not a panel missed out.

There were 60 odd dents in total.

I paid a paintless dent remover $1100 and after one day with it you would never have known it had been marked.

There are some people out there that have phenomenal skills who can massage anything back into shape.
What's a line light?
BionicXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post