Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #3601
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
I often see lots of references to USA as though they are the benchmark for how bad the virus can be, yet the UK is nearly 3 times worse. People just see the big numbers without realising the population in the US is similar to all of Europe.
You know I said that almost word for word some pages back.

Quote:
Not directed at anyone but it's easy to criticize any government from the outside and with hindsight. If you think you can govern a country and keep everyone happy, especially in this day and age with professional whingers, then you are very naive.
I wasn't deliberately criticizing the governments actions, in fact again some pages back I said basically the same thing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was trying to say that the main reason our numbers are lower is our lack of exposure. Low population density, watery boarders and less international movement than europe and the USA.

How has Canada gone compared to us ? Similar except for that land boarder.

Stopping international arrivals was the right thing to do, although as usual the bureaucracy managed to f that up. The lockdown was the right thing to do, although as usual the governments taxed first (fines) explained details second. This and the perception many now have that it's "over" or "not that big a deal" will continue to contribute to non compliance.

So I have no problem with the policies, I do have problems with the implementation. As I've said before leaders take the people with them. We don't have any of those...
Old 24-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #3602
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

18 new cases for Australia (nearly all in Victoria) and no deaths so CMR drops to 1.361% but active cases rise to 486 (6.5%).

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.452% and active cases rise to 10.

The UK had 921 new cases and 280 deaths so the CMR is up to 14.019%.

Just under 31.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 363 deaths sees CMR down to 5.134% and active cases down to 52.9% although the raw numbers are rising.

Other notable points:
India completes 7M, Turkey 3M and Belgium 1M tests;
North America recorded its 2nd highest daily new cases;
Asia passes 50k deaths;

Palestine (168), Israel (430), Azerbaijan (508),
Bolivia (1,105), Philippines (1,143) and Argentina (2,272) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #3603
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
We need, to build, a wall, on our southern boarder. Victoria will pay for it
Build it around Melbourne. AFAIK there are no active cases outside Melbourne suburbs in VIC.

We are still getting stuck with these restrictions because of them. Although Dan Andrews did suggest that they might start locking down specific suburbs and freeing up others. Good idea.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #3604
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Build it around Melbourne. AFAIK there are no active cases outside Melbourne suburbs in VIC.

We are still getting stuck with these restrictions because of them. Although Dan Andrews did suggest that they might start locking down specific suburbs and freeing up others. Good idea.

I just read the ADF will be policing the hotspots
Old 24-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #3605
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Good idea. Sucks for the people in those suburbs who are responsible, but it's still better than restricting the whole state.

Why should people in Hopetoun, Vic be locked down because some Melbournites like jamming thousands of people in a small space to chant things over and over while spraying their spit over the other handful of people in their 4 square metre bubble.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #3606
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I work in the council region on everyone's ****list - I wonder how it would work if they lock down a suburb or region?

Always wanted to do a lock-in at work, couple of slabs with the lads would make it interesting

Brimbank Council Autonomous Zone - no snowflakes
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #3607
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I work in the council region on everyone's ****list - I wonder how it would work if they lock down a suburb or region?

Always wanted to do a lock-in at work, couple of slabs with the lads would make it interesting

Brimbank Council Autonomous Zone - no snowflakes
Here's hoping.

Old 25-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #3608
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

29 new cases for Australia (20 in Victoria) and 1 death so CMR rises to 1.369% and active cases rise to 503 (6.7%).

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.451% and active cases rise to 11.

The UK had 652 new cases and 154 deaths so the CMR is up to 14.039%.

Just over 36k new cases in the USA yesterday and 863 deaths sees CMR down to 5.093% and active cases down to 52.8% although the raw numbers are rising.

Other notable points:
Chile completes 1M tests;
Asia passes 2M total cases;
North America recorded its highest daily new cases with 43,151;
Africa
recorded its highest daily new cases with 10,545;
Asia recorded its second highest daily new cases;

Kyrgyzstan (207), Mauritania (227), Uzbekistan (239), Israel (532), Kazakhstan (534), Morocco (563), Azerbaijan (590), Guatemala (771), Ukraine (940), Iraq (2,200), Colombia (3,541), South Africa (5,688), Mexico (6,288) and India (16,870) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 25-06-2020 at 11:03 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #3609
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Have they worked out the cause of the surge of cases in Victoria?
Old 25-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #3610
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Have they worked out the cause of the surge of cases in Victoria?
Reffo family get togethers and some BLM protesters
8 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #3611
Pis-ton broke
Banned

this has happened after the protests. that i think they weren't supposed to protest, on health grounds.
Old 25-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #3612
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
this has happened after the protests. that i think they weren't supposed to protest, on health grounds.
Fast foward a few weeks, aaaaand here we are.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #3613
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Fast foward a few weeks, aaaaand here we are.
agree. the writing was on the wall for this one. Yes certain family gatherings is also another cause/reason its spread, but how many are related to or were associating with BLM protesters afterwards?

Blind Freddy could see this happening.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #3614
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Blind Freddy could see this happening.
The problem is that neither Blind Freddy or his mates Captain Obvious and Common Sense were anywhere to be seen amongst the caring citizens protesting rabble millennials that chose to gather in protest about something that is another instant facetwit 'hot' ticket and even if they had been present, unless they were part of some oppressed minority group, they'd have been ignored anyway.

Despite the fact they clearly are an endangered species.

At least while theses tools are in quarantine they'll be able to think of all the things named in such a way as to be offensive to 3 people somewhere and start a twitface campaign to hound them out of existence.

I'm glad I'm old.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #3615
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Reffo family get togethers and some BLM protesters
I heard a similar thing in the butchers a little while ago except it was "Ramadan and BLM protestors"

Ramadan was over a month ago and the total number of people that attended BLM that have tested positive since June 6th is 4.

Cav we have a number of "clusters" in Melbourne. Extensive work has gone into tracing.

If you fly into Australia from overseas you will land in Melbourne or Sydney. All quarantine happens in those two cities regardless of where you live, (you're welcome).Some of the cleaning staff working at one of the hotels holding new arrivals contacted the virus from people returning from OS, and started a cluster.

Victoria uses private security guards at quarantine hotels. One of the guards contracted the virus took it home and started another cluster. NSW uses ADF personal for security at quarantine hotels, Victoria will now move to that system.

Someone was advised to self isolate after a close contact with a known case. They went to work and started another cluster. A family gathering was responsible for starting three clusters.

There are also a number of ‘community transmission’ cases where the source is unknown.

Victoria is locking down suburbs with high case numbers and plans to test 50% of the population of those suburbs in the next few days.

It’s getting interesting.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #3616
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
29 new cases for Australia (20 in Victoria) .
So where are the other 9 cases ?

Where are these quarantine cases flying in from ? I thought international travel ceased months ago.

Old 25-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #3617
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Have they worked out the cause of the surge of cases in BL**DY MELBOURNE?
Fixed that. Cav.

Old 25-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #3618
Pis-ton broke
Banned

govco say that "we have more cases,but they are from overseas fly ins".
why are covid cases allowed to board an airplane in the first place?
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #3619
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
I understand the government repatriating Australian citizens stuck overseas. There have been several thousand return since the lock down. Apparently 192 have tested positive for Covid 19.

The breaches in hygiene protocols that allowed quarantine Covid cases to get out into the community is a major stuff up.

It has not happened in NSW which I believe had more in quarantine.
Old 25-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #3620
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I ended up getting tested today. I have my usual bi-yearly Pharyngitis infection but dr said to get tested just in case. Wasn't t pleasant. Throat swab was fine but the swab up the nose was uncomfortable to say the least.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #3621
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Government just withdrew it's request for ADF assistance

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...ked--c-1124980
Old 25-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #3622
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
I ended up getting tested today. I have my usual bi-yearly Pharyngitis infection but dr said to get tested just in case. Wasn't t pleasant. Throat swab was fine but the swab up the nose was uncomfortable to say the least.
How good is the nose swab - it feels like it goes up far in its going to twist around and come out your ***.
Old 25-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #3623
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
In the case of my clients, they were effectively forced to return. First the Gov’t here said, if you don’t get your backsides to Oz pronto, we cannot guarantee consular support where you are. Then the government of their host country (governed by a tripartite collective) said “Ausländer Raus!” or words to that effect. In an environment of heightened East European nationalism, a mixed race foreign gay couple would have been an inevitable target.

And the kicker was they weren’t automatically swab tested upon arrival! They had to invent symptoms to get properly tested.
Old 25-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #3624
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Unhappy Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
How good is the nose swab - it feels like it goes up far in its going to twist around and come out your ***.
I knew it'd be a bit uncomfortable but gee they push it all the way up and grind it around for what seems like ages.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
Old 25-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #3625
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
In the case of my clients, they were effectively forced to return. First the Gov’t here said, if you don’t get your backsides to Oz pronto, we cannot guarantee consular support where you are. Then the government of their host country (governed by a tripartite collective) said “Ausländer Raus!” or words to that effect. In an environment of heightened East European nationalism, a mixed race foreign gay couple would have been an inevitable target.

And the kicker was they weren’t automatically swab tested upon arrival! They had to invent symptoms to get properly tested.
By several definitions, Germans aren’t Eastern Europeans, neither are Austrians or Swiss.

All German speaking countries are Central European.
Old 25-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #3626
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It wasn’t actually uttered in German, but that phrase is arguably better-known than the equivalent.
Old 25-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #3627
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hotels are cheap as in Melbourne at the moment

$80/night in Melbourne CBD for 4 stars.
Old 25-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #3628
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read this thread from the start.
Old 26-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #3629
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Read this thread from the start.
I did and you are correct.
Old 26-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #3630
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regional Vic here & holiday destination, no infections locally, school hols begin on Saturday. Rut roh