Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Bronco reveal 13/7

First teaser video. Wish Ford Australia had quality marketing like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4A3xjgZ4hY
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Bronco reveal 13/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Don't need a marketing department when you only want to sell one car that appears to sell itself
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Don't need a marketing department when you only want to sell one car that appears to sell itself
Some phrase about eggs and baskets comes to mind....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Don't dare question the mighty Thailand Special, I hear they're also responsible for world peace and they even cure polio.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
1st captain of nuclear CVAN USS Enterprise, early 1960s (Paraphrased iirc)
"They say we have too many eggs in one basket. I put it to you that this is no ordinary basket".
Old 07-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Don't dare question the mighty Thailand Special, I hear they're also responsible for world peace and they even cure polio.
Yes, but when the monkeys completely take over the egg will be on their faces
Old 07-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

It's another brilliant product that we will never get here unless someone does RHD conversions.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It's another brilliant product that we will never get here unless someone does RHD conversions.
I'm still baffled by why. Surely a Jeep Wrangler alternative is a good move here? It basically has no competition in that hard core off road class. Except maybe the new Defender when that comes.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I'm still baffled by why. Surely a Jeep Wrangler alternative is a good move here? It basically has no competition in that hard core off road class. Except maybe the new Defender when that comes.
Probably didn’t occur to the high ups that we might like something like this

You know how it used to take Ford seven years to go from researching a product to delivering it, I suspect that our ED is still forming plans on 2013 intel, they just heard that Falcon and Territory are getting killed in a few years time......
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Probably didn’t occur to the high ups that we might like something like this

You know how it used to take Ford seven years to go from researching a product to delivering it, I suspect that our ED is still forming plans on 2013 intel, they just heard that Falcon and Territory are getting killed in a few years time......
Things are pretty quick to go from project start to finish now. Computer modelling is rapidly advancing things, and has also reduced costs considerably by reducing the amount of prototype vehicles that need to be built.

Used to take 5 years or more, now I reckon it's probably about 3.

Bit too much of the america first approach ie it's such an american icon, stuff everyone else.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Things are pretty quick to go from project start to finish now. Computer modelling is rapidly advancing things, and has also reduced costs considerably by reducing the amount of prototype vehicles that need to be built.

Used to take 5 years or more, now I reckon it's probably about 3.

Bit too much of the america first approach ie it's such an american icon, stuff everyone else.
There still was that three years researching and developing a product idea before it got to engineering,
the eng side of Bronco was begun in 2016, things like that can't be hurried no matter how much people
think otherwise.

My point is that if the market research is faulty or out of date then the new vehicle's parameters
could significantly change over the development of the vehicle, it's why most of Cadillac's cars were DOA.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #12
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why they won't make RHD
Look at the dashboard of a 2020 F150 and tell me that they don't have it in mind when designing these things.
The dashboard has a modular layout.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't sell many wranglers here though.
4 door bronco might do OK here, but not even Toyota can sell a 2/3 door 4wd.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I don't understand why they won't make RHD
Look at the dashboard of a 2020 F150 and tell me that they don't have it in mind when designing these things.
The dashboard has a modular layout.
It's not that Ford can't do a factory RHD F150, it's more that they refuse to give up the
production space and spend resources developing a special version just for us that
maybe at best brings 1000/MTH sales.

Unlike Mustang, I doubt that any of the other 25 RHD markets would be interested enough
to commit.....well, maybe South Africa and New Zealand..?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ad was really good! The range looks great too - 2dr, 4dr, "sport". Did sport look more like SUV body and maybe even a different platform?

(ready for /s)

But the ad was a bit noisy, and confronting. Maybe we could replace his harsh voice with a soothing feminine voice, and maybe some fingers walking over the landscapes...
Old 08-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not that Ford can't do a factory RHD F150, it's more that they refuse to give up the
production space and spend resources developing a special version just for us that

Unlike Mustang, I doubt that any of the other 25 RHD markets would be interested enough
I have no idea if I’m being optimistic or conservative, but an average selling price of $65,000 at 1000 per month is nearly $800m in revenue! There would have to be a healthy profit margin in that number. What more do they want?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I have no idea if I’m being optimistic or conservative, but an average selling price of $65,000 at 1000 per month is nearly $800m in revenue! There would have to be a healthy profit margin in that number. What more do they want?
The answer is obvious, they don't want to give up that production space,
they don't want to spend let's say, $200 million developing a RHD version,
they just want all factory production to remain focused on their market.

I get what you're saying but they just can't "see" our market, it's just too small.
And truly, a $65k F150 would do more than unsettle the competition, it would
displace a crap ton of existing high series Ranger sales - a zero sum game?

Last edited by jpd80; 08-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #18
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If the Ranger has gained market share in the US without cannibalising F series sales, why can't the same happen here? They sold 700 odd $100k RAMs last month. I don't think Ranger and Hilux noticed.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
If the Ranger has gained market share in the US without cannibalising F series sales, why can't the same happen here? They sold 700 odd $100k RAMs last month. I don't think Ranger and Hilux noticed.
The difference is the $100k starting price, a factory RHD F150 starting at $70k
would cannibalize plenty of those existing high series Ranger buyers.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #20
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger doesn't hurt F series where the Americans use them - towing.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

It's hard to see the 2 truck factories that are absolutely flat out feeding the North American market 900,000 F series a year, giving a damn about a couple of thousand potential sales in Australia. And having RHD production screw up their factory lay out and supply lines. It's just added complexity they don't want or need. As much as we would all love to see a factory RHD F series, it won't happen. Our only real chance is a factory backed conversion like the Rams and Silverados we get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
The ad was really good! The range looks great too - 2dr, 4dr, "sport". Did sport look more like SUV body and maybe even a different platform?

(ready for /s)

But the ad was a bit noisy, and confronting. Maybe we could replace his harsh voice with a soothing feminine voice, and maybe some fingers walking over the landscapes...
Yes the Bronco Sport is a different vehicle, not based on Ranger. It's more of a jacked up off road Focus I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Price is why. The Ranger starts at 24k, the F150 is 28k. And buyers over there are apparently one or the other, few consider both. Difference here would push base F series right into the most profitable Ranger models.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Old news or................

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34080/...y-drops-july-9

Last edited by GasoLane; 09-07-2020 at 05:04 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a pretty cool time in the 4x4 market tbh. The Bronco, the new Defender; the reborn back-to-roots Jimny, even the 300 is rumoured to get a bit smaller and go back toward the more able offroader. (70 series just keeps on keeping) New Wrangler, too?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's hard to see the 2 truck factories that are absolutely flat out feeding the North American market 900,000 F series a year, giving a damn about a couple of thousand potential sales in Australia. And having RHD production screw up their factory lay out and supply lines. It's just added complexity they don't want or need. As much as we would all love to see a factory RHD F series, it won't happen. Our only real chance is a factory backed conversion like the Rams and Silverados we get here.

Yes the Bronco Sport is a different vehicle, not based on Ranger. It's more of a jacked up off road Focus I think.

Price is why. The Ranger starts at 24k, the F150 is 28k. And buyers over there are apparently one or the other, few consider both. Difference here would push base F series right into the most profitable Ranger models.
F Series is built in three plants, F150 at Dearborn and Kansas City AP next door to Transit
while Super Duty is Builtat Kentucky Truck Plant, some chassis cab SDs are built with the
Medium Dutys at Avon Lake but what you say is true, all three main plants are running
three shifts pushing out large pickups as well as Expedition and Navigator.
They really don't want that being disrupted by changes that can be avoided.

Bronco Sport is actually a clever C2 top hat that shares a lot with Escape/Kuga,
built in Mexico and charging a premium over Escape is just pure gravy for Ford.

The whole reason the US resumed Ranger was basically two reasons:
1. A nice price gap opened up below F150 due to the growth in popularity of more expensive crew cabs
2, Replacing unprofitable Focus and C-Max at Michigan AP, more than 85% are high value crew cabs.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bronco has some very clever engineering throughout its design and being the first next gen T6 means
that there's a good chance for a lot of that cool stuff finding its way onto NG Ranger and Everest.

All will be revealed shortly but, just remember who designed and developed the Bronco,
we should all be very proud of the team on this side of the Pacific, well done everyone.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #26
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The difference is the $100k starting price, a factory RHD F150 starting at $70k
would cannibalize plenty of those existing high series Ranger buyers.
Whilst I agree with most of what you and Boss are saying, I'm not so sure the Wildtrak and Raptor will be so heavily cross shopped with a pov pack F150. I'm on a couple of RAM groups on Facebook and there seems to be a high proportion of ex Landcruiser owners that have bought a RAM.

Even if it does cannibalise some Ranger sales, wouldn't it do the same to Hilux etc that Ford wouldn't have missed out on?

At the end of the day, I think the only one that might bring out a large RHD ute is Toyota with the next gen Tundra. I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whilst I agree with most of what you and Boss are saying, I'm not so sure the Wildtrak and Raptor will be so heavily cross shopped with a pov pack F150. I'm on a couple of RAM groups on Facebook and there seems to be a high proportion of ex Landcruiser owners that have bought a RAM.

Even if it does cannibalise some Ranger sales, wouldn't it do the same to Hilux etc that Ford wouldn't have missed out on?

At the end of the day, I think the only one that might bring out a large RHD ute is Toyota with the next gen Tundra. I hope I'm wrong though.
Please understand that I'm a big fan of F150 and the Super Dutys, I would love to see
them as factory RHDs, I'm simply presenting my opinion on Ford's thinking.

If Mustang premium to our RHD version is any guide, then a crew cab F150 Lariat RWD
would be similar price and under $70k, the XLT version probably low $69k.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #28
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I don't see a hypothetical RHD F150 Lariat being $70k in Australia when the retail for a Wildtrak is more than that. Wouldn't they price it between Ranger and RAM? There is plenty of room there between the $70k of the Wildtrak and $110k of the RAM Laramie. Not including probably $120-140k for the DT RAM when that comes out here.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:12 AM   #29
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
It's a pretty cool time in the 4x4 market tbh. The Bronco, the new Defender; the reborn back-to-roots Jimny, even the 300 is rumoured to get a bit smaller and go back toward the more able offroader. (70 series just keeps on keeping) New Wrangler, too?
Also the new Hummer EV

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't see a hypothetical RHD F150 Lariat being $70k in Australia when the retail for a Wildtrak is more than that. Wouldn't they price it between Ranger and RAM? There is plenty of room there between the $70k of the Wildtrak and $110k of the RAM Laramie. Not including probably $120-140k for the DT RAM when that comes out here.
I was simply taking what we know with the US Mustang trim level that’s comparable with our RHD version, the Lariat F150 I described is a similar price to that US Mustang. So it’s possible that a Factory RHD wouldn’t be an outlandish price.

And the price difference between the high series Rangers and the Ram Laramie is exactly because of the added expense of post factory RHD that’s also compounded by even more luxury car tax, buyers are getting helmeted by about $40k but since it’s not a camaro, it’s worth it to those buyers....