Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question 3 Aussie Chev Caprice Cop Cars on EBay USA.

Three barely used Chevy Caprice police cars are up for auction. From DRIVE 10/05/2012

Three Australian-built Chevrolet Caprice police vehicles are currently up for grabs on eBay in the US.

The Chevy-badged Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) sedans were exported to the States by Holden and were supposed to be sold only to police and fire departments or government officials.

The cars are based on the luxury-focused Holden Caprice large sedan, with each having seen a raft of changes to make them suitable for police work, including the removal of several comfort additions.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The cars have seen varied amounts of work, with the least-used model – a police patrol ready “9C1” black and white car in almost brand new condition, having covered just 260 miles (418km). Bidding for it is currently placed at US$22,000 ($21,750), with a “buy it now” price of US$25,950. We contacted the seller of this car, eBay seller landamotorcompany, to ask why it was up for sale. The response was all-American.

“Not sure why the police aren’t using it, perhaps it doesn’t have a donut holder!” says dealership owner, Buck, before going on to suggest the police may have ordered too many vehicles.

The second car, a less conspicuous red model fitted with the unmarked “9C3” detective package, is currently listed at US$26,000 ($25,765), and shows 6260 miles (10,072km) on the odometer. The seller, Jason Lyczak – who goes under the eBay seller name chevycity84 – says he has three detective cars available (one red, one black and one silver), as well as five regular patrol vehicles (three white, one black and one blue).

The third model is an all-white 2011 model Caprice with 9295 miles (14,958km) which, at the time of writing, was listed at US$21,700 ($21,501). It’s fitted with blacked-out chaser wheels, a pillar-mounted search light and two batteries in the boot – one for the engine and one for the accessories.

Each of the cars is fitted with a 6.0-litre V8 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and all of the cars are fitted with specially designed larger seats which allow space for the officers’ utility belts – not their waistlines.

Holden has exported 542 examples of the Caprice to the US this year, and it sent 880 there in 2011.

It’s unclear why this many PPVs have come up for sale in such a short period. However, the seller of the third car, BMW_peoria, says the model it is selling was purchased from a certified General Motors auction sale “after a GM rep drove it”, presumably as a company vehicle.

UPDATE: Two of the eBay sellers replied to Drive overnight.

Seller chevycity84 says: "All of our Chevy Caprice were GM demos and not put into service. So there are no holes or mounts on the vehicle from the police equipment install. These vehicles are like new."

BMW_peoria confirmed the car it is selling is also unused by the police, claiming "it was only driven by a GM rep".

Drive sampled the Holden-built US cop cars in the United States in 2011.

Here’s a run-down on what’s different between those cars and the Holden Caprice that is sold here:

Chevrolet Caprice PPV

Models: 9C1 (police version) or 9C3 (detective or unmarked version)
Price: US $30,995 (recommended)
Engine: 6.0-litre V8; 260kW/517Nm; 6-speed automatic; RWD
Availability: Only to police and fire departments and government officials (when new)
Chevrolet Caprice PPV: What’s changed?

• Dual exhaust (one each side) instead of the quad-exhaust set-up for all Holden V8s sold here

• Base model interior eschews leather and chrome for more grey and an emphasis on functionality

• Unique seats with longer wearing materials and cut-outs for guns and equipment belts

• 18-inch steel wheels (with wheel covers on 9C3) in lieu of alloys that are more susceptible to damage. They’re wrapped in 18-inch Goodyear tyres

• Raised, firmer suspension

• Police performance mode on stability control, which can’t be disconnected completely

• Left-hand drive conversion

• Offset gear selector and foot-operated park brake (only on 9C1 model) to free up centre console for police equipment

• Fitment of bigger oil cooler and power steering cooler, transmission oil cooler

• Removal of overhead grab handles

• Removal of plastic engine cover

• Removal of some sound deadening, including under-bonnet

• Chevrolet badges replace Holden ones

• Black (rather than colour-coded) doorhandles

Ads by Google

Last edited by csv8; 17-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 3 Aussie Chev Caprice Cop Cars on EBay USA.

one way to get a fairly unique car. won't be many around but you might be mistaken for an undercover detective.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
RASER
Banned

"• Removal of some sound deadening, including under-bonnet"

WTF ???

If you ever watch COPS the back seat of a police car is a disease zone, they should have panel vans, would not want that mostly filth in the same cabin as me.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
ken1939

And I cannot import a 2008 Falcon Ute...
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: 3 Aussie Chev Caprice Cop Cars on EBay USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1939
If your got $20k you can buy mine.

Import it into Canada and drive it across the border in Maine

:-)

Why would you bother, you have brand new MY11 F150's from just $23,300
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
XR Davo

What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of those 18" steel wheels. Then again, done right, steel wheels can look tough.
I remember some years back seeing a very nice VL Commodore. All it had done was nice aftermarket bright yellow paint, dark windows, lowered a bit, and fitted with those "Interceptor" steel wheels, 16", the ones with the row of round holes around the face, painted black. For some reason it just looked right a pretty tough.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
If your got $20k you can buy mine.

Import it into Canada and drive it across the border in Maine

:-)

Why would you bother, you have brand new MY11 F150's from just $23,300
Not that easy Mate, believe me. F150 just not a UTE. Zero Cool Factor!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Not that easy Mate, believe me. F150 just not a UTE. Zero Cool Factor!
I know, just teasing ya!!

I see that USA was the birth place of the "fun police" unfortunatly like McDonalds you exported it....

In any case, i believe that its a very good chance, that Holden [GM] will be importing the Holden SS Ute, within 12 months, its more sporty than anything from TeamBlue and full factory support together with LHD direct from your local Chev. dealer.

What suxs it will be cheaper than we can buy it here

God Bless America!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Judging by the pic in your Avatar your doing OK for utes though.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Here's another one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...t_24266wt_1080

Funky gear shift and console.

Last edited by FrogInASock; 11-05-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Extra info
FrogInASock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
ken1939

My guess is the Caprice will be more than 23K US. Taraus' run in the mid 30's. I wonder if GM Screwed up and no one is buying them. I know I have not seen one used in any of our local or state police vehicles.

As for the Holden UTE coming over in a Chevy Badge, I wont be "holden" my breath. The only thing slower than geologic time is GM. Thats why I have a Ford Focus.

I think Ford is also missing the boat. Since they retired the Ranger, I think the UTE would fall right into that slot. Of course they also are not going with a diesel Fiesta either, cost to get engines from Europe is the escuse.

As for a Holden being less expensive here, I would not expect anything less than 25K for a base version. But time will tell!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Even the cops don't want them.

I thought they had got rid of the loophole that allowed them to be sold to the general public, or is it ok for them to be sold second hand?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Even the cops don't want them.

I thought they had got rid of the loophole that allowed them to be sold to the general public, or is it ok for them to be sold second hand?

This is a huge question and I would like to know the answer. Based on what I read about the Caprice returning, it was never intended for public consumption. I always liked the US Caprices. I want a 74 Estate Wagon really bad, and my first car was a 80 Coupe. Loved those years. Then the 90's came and they screwed them up.

I read alot about "Gray" cars that are sold here, that are not really hot, but not mabey 100% legal.

But rat rods are ok!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I know, just teasing ya!!

I see that USA was the birth place of the "fun police" unfortunatly like McDonalds you exported it....

In any case, i believe that its a very good chance, that Holden [GM] will be importing the Holden SS Ute, within 12 months, its more sporty than anything from TeamBlue and full factory support together with LHD direct from your local Chev. dealer.

What suxs it will be cheaper than we can buy it here

God Bless America!
why on earth are you on a ford forum? seems every post from you is bagging ford and blowing sunshine up the gm backside...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
I think Ford is also missing the boat. Since they retired the Ranger, I think the UTE would fall right into that slot. Of course they also are not going with a diesel Fiesta either, cost to get engines from Europe is the escuse.

As for a Holden being less expensive here, I would not expect anything less than 25K for a base version. But time will tell!
The Ranger wasn't retired, Ford just decided not to sell the new model in the US out of fear it would steal F-150 sales.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
ken1939

Well I did use the name Ranger in vain, we all know it was the Mazda.
Old 13-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone notice in the first picture. Must be the shortest cop in the US
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
why on earth are you on a ford forum? seems every post from you is bagging ford and blowing sunshine up the gm backside...
No, nothing of the sort.

If its "pro" anything, its pro Aussie Made

The Falcon Ute will never be sold in USA so he has no chance to buy or even import one, while GMH look like they are going to export the Commodore to USA, so full factory support and backing [LHD too]

Well done to Holden for saving themselves, Ford management in AUS, have a good hard look at yourselves!
Old 15-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
ken1939

Here is another I noticed on Craigslist in the US

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/3002712967.html