Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should Elderly people be made to do routine licence tests?
Yes 134 84.28%
No 25 15.72%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #31
xr8chick
HSV - I Just Ate One!

People over 40 with v8's and 'High Performance' cars ... biggest hoons out! lol.

I think re-testing should start from a certain age. Maybe every 5-7 years to refresh memories and etc. My nana is 67 or 68 [one of the two] and she's quite the speed demon in her little Hyundai! But she is quite a good driver still. Maybe once they start having 4 or 5 accidents a month it's time to revoke the licence.
Old 15-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
regular testing of drivers LMAO, yeah right!

I remember a Apprentice at work saying he had to book 3 weeks in advance for a driving test, so lets see how the system copes when thay need to test like 15,000,0000 drivers over 3 years!!! No chance.

Not to mention the standard driving test don't test you ability to drive a car. anyone who reckons they would pass a driving test who have held there license for over 1 year I think you are in for a shock!
Well at the very least, a basic online test of road rules would be better than nothing and would be easy enough to implement. A lot more than just getting an eye test!

The one rule that a lot of people don't understand and annoys me the most, is the 'Keep left unless overtaking' one.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Well maybe if regular testing became mandatory then they'd employee more staff and increase services to do so.....
Old 15-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My Grandfather had his licence for over 60 years, including working for 30 years as a taxi driver and never had an accident.

A couple of years ago as part of his annual testing once the turned 80, he failed the dementia test done by our local GP, and after some encouragement from us he handed his licence in.

He passed the RTA driving tests ok, but we convinced him that 60+ years with a 100% clean record was a damn good achievement, and it would be a shame to have something happen now to spoil it.

He was 86 when he handed it in, and is 90 now.

The RTA worker that cancelled his licence gave him a print out, showing the date the licence was issued, and handed in, and that there was nothing recorded against him, because she was so impressed.

He's a stubborn old guy - always has been really, and he was pretty upset about losing his independence and giving the car to my mum, but in the last few years he's really gone downhill, so it's absolutely for the best.

He has asked a couple of times when he's going to get the car back, and doesn't remember that he can no longer drive.
He swears blind that he still has a licence because it's in his wallet.

I never ever want to get that old. :(
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

I never ever want to get that old. :(

We all say that... until we get close to it, then it seems we're quite happy to be that old.

As John Wayne said once - "I don't mind grumpy ol' men - I aim to be one some day"
Old 15-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #36
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I heard on some program a couple years ago the fact that, per capita older drivers have more accidents then the younger crowd its just that there are less of them so it never gets any mention
I suspect you heard wrong , fact is the young are self culling and the old are all to often the young that missed the cull , how about we all have mandatory retraining on tickets ( that's traffic school) and mandatory retraining and testing on two tickets with 5 years and none of the points rubbish but importantly proper supervision of the traffic police.. seems to me certain coppers have a complex...
I recently drove Brisbane to west of Maryborough and back in under 6 hours averaging 100k+ an hour and people were passing me on the straights when I was over the limit.. just how fast do they need to go ?
saw several radar hidden and a lot of colour cars all lit up as they busted the people passing just ahead of me ....
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #37
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Its not just the elderly, I believe today it is too easy to get a licence. My step mother recently got her P's and has never done a reverse park!!!(including the test)
Old 15-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #38
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
We all say that... until we get close to it, then it seems we're quite happy to be that old.

As John Wayne said once - "I don't mind grumpy ol' men - I aim to be one some day"
It's like regressing to a child again. Except kids learn.

Apparently my Grandfather 'suffers' from Dementia.
But thankfully 99% of the time he doesn't know it.
Though he has always had "whatsaname syndrome" - where anyone and anything was whatsaname, until he remembered who/what it was. :togo:
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #39
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Its not just the elderly, I believe today it is too easy to get a licence. My step mother recently got her P's and has never done a reverse park!!!(including the test)
To Easy Right, My old man did a lap of the block with the local coper to get his license and my grandfather used to drive around at 16 with no license with the local coper in the Car!! and you think it's too easy today!
Old 15-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #40
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
And? There would be some young drivers that are pretty good too... difference is they've most likely been tested less than 60 years ago.

I'm all for regular testing every 10 years for all up to 70 then every 5 years, then 1 year accordingly.
actually she only got her license 20 yrs ago after her husband passed away

but i do agree about the testing but i do believe it should only be on the persons doctors advice/ recommendation

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #41
3vXT

I don't think old people are going to kill us all with their crazy driving but some kind of regular testing would be a good idea (for everyone). IMO i don't believe they are any more dangerous than other groups that have been mentioned. Its almost a given though, that if we live long enough we will start to lose the ability to safely control a car the way we do now.

I think P platers who get caught doing really stupid stuff and lose their licenses should be driven around by really old people (and vice versa) until they are eligible to drive themselves again. I'd pay to see that :
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #42
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well maybe if regular testing became mandatory then they'd employee more staff and increase services to do so.....

Yeah perhaps but fact is the majority would still fail the test, simply because how we drive don't fit the way the driving test is set out.

Don't believe me, book a lesion with a instructor and see how many times he pulls you up.

I went thou it when i did my HR license 5 years ago, First lesion guy said ya driving is fine, but you won't pass the test!
Old 15-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #43
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Green X, were your family in the bush? My mum was in the city.
Its always been easy in the bush.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #44
Bobman
Regulator

Had an elderly lady pull out in front of me, oblivious that I was coming towards her, luckily it was only a suburban back street.

Anyone remember the elderly chap which hit the young kids crossing at a pedestrian crossing in Brunswick just a couple of months ago?

We're trying to get my Grandmother off the road at the moment. Trouble is that they rely so much on their cars and don't give up without a fight.

It's certainly something that should be looked in to. There are more than enough road fatalities in that age group.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #45
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

My mum just had to take the local copper to the shop to get his lunch and come back..... that was her license test lol And yes it was in the bush.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #46
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, but it still stands, i got my license in 2001 in the City, since then it has been made harder and harder to get and keep a license.

Fact is we are becoming a spoon fed society, who seem incapable or unwilling to take any on any kind of self responsibility and want rules, regs, permits Ect set out in black and white for evrything.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #47
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I heard on some program a couple years ago the fact that, per capita older drivers have more accidents then the younger crowd its just that there are less of them so it never gets any mention
Actually, it's because older people don't die as often as the younger crowd.
As young inexperienced drivers overestimate their driving ability as well as the traction of their car, older people simply make smaller mistakes which are a bloody nuisance. This is like the lady across the road who drives her blue Ford Laser at 20km/h down my street and when she reaches the roundabout at the bottom, gives way to cars on her left, and takes 5 minutes to figure out which way she is heading.

Older people need to have routine tests to test judgement, eyesight, concentration, awareness, as well as reaction time.

My mother said that when she reaches a certain age, she reckons she'll just hand her license in, as she finds driving stressful, and would prefer somebody younger (i.e. me or my older brother (feck my twin -he can't even use the oven)) to drive her around when she's older.

My Dad is already a pain in the on the road at 66. His concentration span is abysmal as he is easily distracted by things on the side of the road, or in conversation. As a result, he often veers across into other lanes, misses turnoffs, which as a reaction he slams on the breaks and then takes his foot off, or almost ploughs into the back of the car in front of him.

So I am a big supporter of routine tests for all drivers over 65 at least, as this is the age bracket apparently most involved in motor accidents.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #48
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Id rather navigate my way around a pensioner totering along doing 40 in an 80 zone than dodge a pimply faced P Platter spinning out of control on the wrong side of a wet road doing 100 in a 70 zone in his "fully sic" VL turbo because "his terbo kicked in".....
I am with you here Norm

One day these young uns will be old. Only they didnt fight the second world war that gave them the freedom to have the opinions they voice.

If you take away the license from some of these old people you confine them to a home, especialy with the crap public transport, saying that they would probably get mugged. Might as well take them around the back of the shed and shoot them.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair point over older people going slow...easily better than being hit by a person going fast, regardless of their age.

I support tests every three (3) years just to make sure that the basic requirements for safe driving can be met. If they're almost blind, cannot react and have lost their judgement, it might be time to hand in ones license.

It should only be designed to take the worst off the road.

We don't want to isolate them or take away their freedom. We just want to ensure safety here.

Which is kind of a poor argument from me...if we wanted to ensure safety, we'd raise the minimum age for P-PLaters to 21 (when people are a little more mature), but that won't happen ever. The political party who proposes that will lose many, many votes, and we can't have that.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #50
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
We don't want to isolate them or take away their freedom. We just want to ensure safety here.
Said like someone with a elderly person in close family....I think my 74yr old mother would suffer greatly if she couldnt get around by car....she still drives well but the day may well come...

She is lonely enough as a widow of 21yrs.

Why cant we have a dating section here on AFF so we can hook up our parents with some nice partners!

That said, I'd support tests at reasonable intervals above an age limit...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
krt10
eskyman

i believe that a motor vehical licence should adopt the same meathod at an aeroplane licence.
with an aeroplane you have to do a test every year to asses your competience to fly. once you reach 60 its every 6 months, 65 its every 3 months.

now tell me why we dont have to do regular check up for driving on the road. its much easier to crash on the ground then crash in the air.
i see too many incopetent people driving on the road and think thats its rubbish that they are putting not only themselvs but innocent people like me at risk.
this is not just targeted at old people but everyone who own a car licence from teenagers ( like me, im only 18) to grandparents.

having said that, there would need to be a major revamp of the puplic transport system to accomodate those who arnt fit to drive.

just my poinion
Old 15-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #52
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Why cant we have a dating section here on AFF so we can hook up our parents with some nice partners!
Lol. Good idea. Either way, being social is very important in older age groups.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #53
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt10
i believe that a motor vehical licence should adopt the same meathod at an aeroplane licence.
with an aeroplane you have to do a test every year to asses your competience to fly. once you reach 60 its every 6 months, 65 its every 3 months.

now tell me why we dont have to do regular check up for driving on the road. its much easier to crash on the ground then crash in the air.
i see too many incopetent people driving on the road and think thats its rubbish that they are putting not only themselvs but innocent people like me at risk.
this is not just targeted at old people but everyone who own a car licence from teenagers ( like me, im only 18) to grandparents.

having said that, there would need to be a major revamp of the puplic transport system to accomodate those who arnt fit to drive.

just my poinion
Crashing your car and plunging a plane into the ground from a few thousand feet is more than a bit different. That sort of testing seems a bit excessive for a car licence.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #54
bartaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I am with you here Norm

One day these young uns will be old. Only they didnt fight the second world war that gave them the freedom to have the opinions they voice.

If you take away the license from some of these old people you confine them to a home, especialy with the crap public transport, saying that they would probably get mugged. Might as well take them around the back of the shed and shoot them.

Steve
AYE!!!!!!!
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #55
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
My mum just had to take the local copper to the shop to get his lunch and come back..... that was her license test lol And yes it was in the bush.
Haha, My old man went to the cop shop for his and the copper goes "how'd you get here? Dont see anyone with you"
Dad says "I drove" (he lived 30 odd K's away)
And the copper signed off on it!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #56
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Said like someone with a elderly person in close family....I think my 74yr old mother would suffer greatly if she couldnt get around by car....she still drives well but the day may well come...

She is lonely enough as a widow of 21yrs.

That said, I'd support tests at reasonable intervals above an age limit...
Nobody in my family is "old".
Father is 66, but he's on the way

But I think it's courtesy that we shouldn't expect elderly Australians to simply move aside for us. Reality is that one day we'll be that age (presuming we live that long) so rather than get too wound up in how great we are now, someday we'll be the ones keeping incontinence products in demand.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 16-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #57
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
If i see an older person i back of similar to driving in the rain and give them the respect they deserve. We will all get there.
No it shouldn't work like that.

If people can't drive they shouldn't be on the road, period. It's dangerous and inconsiderate to drive poorly.

If you make exceptions for people it's discrimination.

If they're sitting doing 50km in an 80km in the right hand lane I will politely honk and if they don't move I will overtake and then go slower in front of them. A lot of elderly people don't know the right lane is an overtaking lane (the law was implemented passed their generation I'm guessing?). So in their case it's not been inconsiderate, they're just outdated. Still that's their fault.

We shouldn't have to tolerate their perception on road laws, they study up and keep up to date with the law. It's like anything in this society, it's their responsibility to follow and obey the law.

I'm a P plater, been on the road for 1 year. If I run a red does that mean I should be exempt due to my lack of experience? No same goes for this.

Incapable drivers should not be exempt from the road rules. If anything they should have to display plates so other drivers know to avoid them from a safe distance.

People think slow driving is safe driving. This results in idiots merging onto the Monash at 50kmph, now how is that safe?

EDIT: Yes I am EXTREMELY intolerant of incompetent drivers. The road is no place for mistakes.
Old 16-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #58
xbcool
dazed&confused

regular testing for everybody sounds good , nothing too difficult just a quick drive around the block to see if you are still in controll of your car and a short computor test to see if you are up to speed with any rule changes.( my mother inlaw still doesn't understand roundabouts).

mother inlaw once mentioned that she had been driving for 40 years without having an accident,
I asked how many she had caused.

she hasn't spoken to me for a while now (wish I'd thought of it earlier) :

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #59
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I am with you here Norm

Steve
So just because some geriatric manned a machine gun turret in the second world war gives them a free pass to possible kill me wife and child in a 'minor' carpark incident?

Nobody is talking about removing licenses from all elderly people at a certain age, its about facing reality and providing a safe environment for all.
Old 16-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #60
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets not forget that most of these elderly people in there late 70's, 80's went to school on horse back/pushbike or walked, went shopping via horse and cart and when they did get their license, they drove themselves to the police station to get it over pot hole filled dirt road. Modern day cars maybe a little different then steering a smeally horse that farts in your face as he pulls your cart. Things happened alot slower back then.
To be honest, if it wasn't for the hardships that they have endured over their life time, we would probably be driving on the other side of the road and not be driving the cars that we do. Thats why I respect them, but also expect the unexpected from them.
Holding a license and driving on our roads safely is a responsiblity whether you are young or old. It definately ain't a right. If you can't handle the responsibility, reguardless of your age, you should consider handing it in or run the risk of having it removed.

As 4vman has mentioned, I would prefer if someones slow moving grandmother ran into my car then an out of control punk P plater showing off to his mates.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post