Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Is Schapelle Corby guilty of drug trafficking?
She's guilty. 51 17.06%
I don't believe she's guilty. 185 61.87%
Still undecided. 57 19.06%
Other. 6 2.01%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Default Schapelle Corby.

Who believes Schapelle Corby is guilty of of attempting to smuggle 4.2 kilograms of marijuana into Bali?

Does this put you off going to Bali in case something is planted on you, then facing a death penalty for something you didn't do?

With all the media exposure in the past couple of weeks, especially with 9 Australians 'alledgedly' forced to smuggle heroin also facing the firing squad that it makes me think twice about travelling to or even stopping over at Denpasar Airport.
Old 22-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
rodderz

It's a bit of a hard one...on one hand she was busted with the stuff, but I've got to wonder who would be stupid enough to have that amount in a boogie board bag going from sydney to Brissy, then Bali! The cheebs are cheaper over there so money wouldnt have been made, plus there were no DNA samples taken to see if her DNA was on the contents or bag. Her case sounds very suss I think she may be not guilty but as for the others they seem to be caught red handed

As for Bali I'de go back now If i had the money, the people there are fantastic, it's the corrupt cops and dodgies from the rest of indonesia that spoil it sometimes. I got pulled over on a motorbike once "allegedely" for speeding and the cop wanted my watch plus money as payment!
Old 22-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Kryton

i find it very hard to believe that she would have been able to leave australia with that much in her luggage. theres sniffer dogs running over eveything and most things are xrayed as well....plus the smell of that much green would have been toxic.
IMO it was planted by luggage handlers either here or over there.
as for the other 9.....caught red handed and will probably get the death penalty.
Old 22-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I reckon she probably done it, ONLY IF she got the bag before she got caught, because you would easily notice an extra 4.2 KG's of weight, I noticed 2kg easy. Also 4.2 KG's of weed isn't exactly a small amount either.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
Old 22-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Rumor has it that her brother is a big hoochi dealer on the Gold Coast, but I havn't seen him throw his hand up!

Old 22-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Bali isn't on my list of places to visit. Lots of people like it, great, but I have no desire to visit thank you.
I think she did it.
Both she and her sister are smokers, and she probably was taking it to her sister who lives there.
"Hey sis thought you might miss the good aussie green, here ya go!"
She's been through numerous times, probably never been stopped before, so she thought she could get through again.
Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for her at all.

As for the current lot, they were caught with it strapped to their bodies.
They knew what they were doing.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 22-04-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 22-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
As for the current lot, they were caught with it strapped to their bodies.
They knew what they were doing.
Exactly. They deserve what they get.

As for Corby, I'm leaning towards guilty because I can't see why someone would try and plant stuff on her for no reason. I could be wrong tho.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 22-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
I reckon she probably done it, ONLY IF she got the bag before she got caught, because you would easily notice an extra 4.2 KG's of weight, I noticed 2kg easy. Also 4.2 KG's of weed isn't exactly a small amount either.
I haven't been to Bali, but every other international airport that I have been in has a thing called customs where you get your bags after they've been x-rayed, or sniffer dogs have run over them. They may even ask to go through your bags in front of you if you're bringing a lot of things into a country or back into your country of origin.

A person that I know did get into Bali with a small amount of green on her.. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! :

However she lived in Bali for 4 years, actually I don't think that she even knew how long she was there for because she lived in the villages where marijuana is pretty much a way of life for them. So there really is no profit to be made, even off the amount she (Schapelle) was said to be carrying.

4.2kg is a huge amount to put in that type of cover and if it was any good (or so I've been told :newangel: ) you would have be able to be smell it a mile away. So why wouldn't it have been picked up before she even got to Bali? The sniffer dogs and a few hippies would have been following her around the airport.

My gut instinct tells me that she was naive and never thought to keep her stuff with her and watch her bags at all times. Now she's waiting to hear whether she'll face a firing squad or spend the rest of her life in a cell.
Old 22-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Why the hell would you bother trying to take 4.2kg of dope to a place that has so much of it there in the first place and other drugs, and knowing that they have the death penality for thoes type's of drug crimes !!!!!, The bagage handeler's theory works for me.....how was the bagage handeler who put on a costume that they found in some ones luggage and got court, then sacked for it!, I trust these guys as much as I trust Australia post !
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
Old 22-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Russell Crowe is going into bat for her I believe.. Something about as the charges are so questionable at best bring her back to Oz for trial. In principle it seems like a good idea but zig zagging thru international dipolmacy might be another issue.

Old 22-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
I haven't been to Bali, but every other international airport that I have been in has a thing called customs where you get your bags after they've been x-rayed, or sniffer dogs have run over them. They may even ask to go through your bags in front of you if you're bringing a lot of things into a country or back into your country of origin.
lol I know what customs is i've been to different airports while travelling over 15 times I don't know what the full story is on her as I was over seas when it happened, so what i'm trying to say is that even if it was planted on her, as if she wouldn't notice, i'd be heading to the toilets straight away if I found out what it was and dumping it or something!
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
Old 22-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
EA2BA
PM me if you want

It just doesnt add up to her being guilty, and why do it for so little money gain.

The defence is playing the card of how many lives would have been affected not the dollar value shows you just how cheap it is to buy there.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 22-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
lol I know what customs is i've been to different airports while travelling over 15 times I don't know what the full story is on her as I was over seas when it happened, so what i'm trying to say is that even if it was planted on her, as if she wouldn't notice, i'd be heading to the toilets straight away if I found out what it was and dumping it or something!
I dont know the full arrest story, but usually as you touch the bag the police swoop and arrest so you can't dump it, so guilty by association isnt it, great system.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 22-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Russell Crowe is going into bat for her I believe.. Something about as the charges are so questionable at best bring her back to Oz for trial. In principle it seems like a good idea but zig zagging thru international dipolmacy might be another issue.
Good ol' Russ... :sm_drool:

umm what was I going to say??

Oh yeah, I remember now..

Alexander Downer also said that he was going to try and have any Australian that was imprisoned in Bali brought back to Australia to finish off their jail term, somehow I don't see that happening. It may be to late for the innocent ones.

Back to Russell Crowe... :sm_drool: :
Old 22-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

I seriously doubt anyone would knowingly try to take that much dope into Bali. Apparently the bag was the size of a pillow!

I reckon she's innocent, hopefully she does not spend the rest of her life in a dingy hell hole.
Old 22-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I said still undecieded. She looks the type that might give it a go, but some things just dont add up. Like how the hell can the Bali guys find it and not the Aussie customs?

Plus the baggage handling business is very very dodgey; camel suit anyone?

As for those other 9 idiots, they are goners...and you know they are guilty because they hide themselves from the media so much. If I was innocent I would want everyone to see me. :/
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Well, at least 4 of the other idiots are goners. Either shot or spending the rest of their life in prison. But I feel thats a completely different kettle of fish. They carefully planned and plotted to break the law and deserve everything they get.
Old 22-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Well, at least 4 of the other idiots are goners. Either shot or spending the rest of their life in prison. But I feel thats a completely different kettle of fish. They carefully planned and plotted to break the law and deserve everything they get.
haha i agree, idiots make teh rest of us look bad. Drug dealers really shit me. And these fools thought they would get through by strapping it to themselves? lol

Back on topic though..........
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #19
MAD
Petro-sexual

Whether or not she is guilty....how f**ked up are the sentences!!! way less than life for blowing up a couple of bars.... but shot for taking dope, the bottom rung of drugs.

I dont think she is guilty though, as someone said, why bother to take dope over there where there is shitloads of it already, and it sells for far less than here, so it would be a LOSS of money to take it and sell it.
Old 22-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #20
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'm leaning towards innocent, you'd have to be crazy to believe you'd get that ammount through an Australian airport these days. Should of locked her bags up.

As for these other 9, don't know what to make of it. Shoot the 'godfather' for sure, but if these death threats he was meant to be giving out are true....

As for me, I always thought Indonesia was a shithole. The whole country is a mess. Rather spend my money on Europe and America. If Asia is ever on the cards there are heaps of places i'd go before Indonesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Both she and her sister are smokers, and she probably was taking it to her sister who lives there.
4.2 kilos of it? Shit, her sis would of had a killer time!
Old 22-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
As for me, I always thought Indonesia was a shithole. The whole country is a mess. Rather spend my money on Europe and America. If Asia is ever on the cards there are heaps of places i'd go before Indonesia.

4.2 kilos of it? Shit, her sis would of had a killer time!
I Agree, its one fudged up country, although I just saw the news and her lawyer (I think thats who it was), was kinda hot.

But overall they are a bunch a pyhco's, have you seen on of there "demonstarion rallies"; its a bloody civil war!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #22
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Off TOpic:- Before you bag out Indo too much you have to remember that it is priced accordinaly.. With a decent Aussie wad you can go to places like that and live like a King! Being predominately tourist based (in certain areas of course) it is cleaner, friendlier and more accomodating than the Gold Coast for around 1/10th of the price.

Old 22-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #23
fat289
fat289

Q-How did that much dope make it through customs in Australia
A-It didn't it was put in the bag after it went through

Q-Who had access to the luggage
A-The baggage handlers

Q-Is it a setup
A-You bet your life it is

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
Old 22-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
rodderz

Bali to me seemed a lot different to the rest of Indonesia, the people are so much more friendlier and they even to me look slightly different. It should of been it's own country!

A lot of locals say that the pick pockets, thiefs, prostitutes etc come from Java or other parts of Indo main. The local balinese are too nice to be doing that sort of thing...and it's a pity their reputation gets tarnished by others. They were even apologising to tourists about the bombing...to which they had nothing to do with
Old 22-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #25
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Off TOpic:- Before you bag out Indo too much you have to remember that it is priced accordinaly.. With a decent Aussie wad you can go to places like that and live like a King! Being predominately tourist based (in certain areas of course) it is cleaner, friendlier and more accomodating than the Gold Coast for around 1/10th of the price.
Yeah I realise that, but it just seems so dirty to me. Then there's the whole
corruption thing. They don't seem that friendly to westerners, especially Australians as a whole. Then there's the whole Muslim/Christian thing. I realise it's only in certain areas, but I just get a bad vibe from the place and would rather stay away.
Old 22-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #26
Kryton

why wasnt the bag finger printed or DNA tested?
in most courts you could have the case thrown out for a lot less than that.
Old 22-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #27
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Worse still , the Aust regs that weighed the bag before it left aust have deleted the info so they cant use that either.
Personally, I dont think she is guilty, you'd be better off bringing the gear into Aust as its cheap as over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 22-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #28
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Ok... here's what I read in the Sydney Morning Herald last weekend.

Apparently Shapelle had put her bag through xray at Bali airport, had been led off by Bali police to one room, and her bag was put in ANOTHER ROOM. Then she was taken in after a while to see her bag open with all these drugs in it.

So my question is... what happened between the time she spent in the room and the time they showed her the stash??? By International Customs Law they are not allowed to put the item in one room and the person in another (well, that's what the paper said anyway).

I think she's innocent, it just doesn't add up.

Luggage gets weighed when you first start the proceedings to get on the plane... how much did it weigh when it got to Bali, did they check that for a weight difference? Cos that would prove that someone else (baggage handler) put it in there.

My hubby's like "Well you can buy the stuff over there for cheap enough so you don't need to smuggle it in, she wouldn't have made much at all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.

Last edited by bindi; 22-04-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 22-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #29
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi

It gets weighed when you first start the proceedings to get on the plane... how much did it weigh when it got there, did they check that? Cos that would prove that someone else (baggage handler) put it in there.
Yep read above bindi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 22-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #30
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Yep read above bindi.
Oops jinx! I was typing as you were lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
Closed Thread