Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Spark plugs, Warning for everyone

Hey everyone,

I just did an oil and oil filter change, and as part of the routine check i decided to have a look at the spark plugs.

Bloody hell.... not only were they all rusted but when i actually removed them they had a massive build up of black $hit, and the ceramic was all burnt to a crisp.

My brother is visiting ATM (hes a mechanic) and he said he would not let a car leave his workshop with spark plugs in that condition, he was concerned that it was abnormally burnt and was worried some of the ceramic might break off inside the engine.

Anyway my first thought was my car only has 19 thousand kms on it, ill ring ford and see what they suggest.. Service manager said it would cost me a FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS AT LEAST, for new spark plugs.....what a :ymca: he was..

I rung the ford spare parts dept and they quoted me only 4.60 for each spark plug. if i had gone through the service dept that would of been a profit of over $286 for them.

:

No point buying the cheap jobbies from ford so i rung around and got a price on Denso long life platinum plugs, $16.4 each. They are available specifically for the fiesta with the correct spark gap. Id suggest you all go out and check your plugs right away.

The difference in engine smoothness is remarkable between original $4.60 spark plugs and the denso platinums. Dont want to sound like a toss bag but its got more oomff

Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Cool, thanks, will check mine this weekend.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Danny
GT4.

Maybe thats whats causing the general ИИИИtiness my car experiences from time to time....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

i cant believe the lack of interest of such an important part of your car... if it aint sparkin right it aint workin right.

Go out and check them !
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
i cant believe the lack of interest of such an important part of your car... if it aint sparkin right it aint workin right.

Go out and check them !
What petrol were you using?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx

Go out and check them !
Oh sorry mumsey. Ill get right on it.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

From the day i bought it the car has only ever sipped on either Shell Optimax or BP ultimate. Nothing but 98.

Also ive changed the oil (Shell Helix ultra) and oil filter (genuine FoMoCo item) 6 times now. Just part of my routine maintenance for the car. With only 19thousand kms on the car im Shocked that the spark plugs were so shagged, they were NOT long life plugs but still... one would expect more than 19 thousand kms.

Loads of fun :
Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well i think the pixs speak for themselves, but very disappointed in the condition they are in. Im not too sure if they are worse than mitch's but i think for a 1yr 2month old car 24202kms , they shouldnt look like this. So for now the car isnt going anywhere until i can get some new ones in.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Stampy

OMG did you get them plugs out of an old XY 69 model ford, thats a discrace ,I was under the impression you owned a Fiesta :eclipsee_

where has the water come from to cause that rust?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
joshf2
striped

the washer jets on the bonnet leak

this problem has been seen many times on UKFN
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Honestly i have no clue. Keep in mind that the fiesta has its airbox located on top of the engine, so you would think that no water would get in it right? There is also dust/buildup around the sprakplug hole.

Im very confident my washer jets dont leak, nor even hosed the engine bay.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Well, At least i know i wasnt on my own on this one..

Glad you checked them now mista?!?!?!
A new car should NOT have plugs like this...

Ring a car place and ask for some 'Denso platinums'.
and clean things up a bit before you put em in.

Loads of fun :
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #13
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

this is intrestin mine are fine and i done 25000 ,

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

it may happen from the jorney from germany ????just a idea , sea salt ???

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
simonr
Focus Rookie

I get rust on the top on my spark plugs... i asked the guy at my mechanic he goes its common to get rust on the aluminum there becasue moisture gets in that lil resivor area... that in a focus tho.. he said the plugs are usually fine.. but i guess im gonna go check for myself ..
Old 12-03-2006, 01:47 AM   #16
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure about mine, since I don't know what spark plugs are nor where they are located (:
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #17
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
I'm not sure about mine, since I don't know what spark plugs are nor where they are located (:
LOL Ur so clueless helder. Good stuff! Seriusly though, Having seen damo's spark plus I've a good mind to check mine. Mines been running like crap lately, and with 35000 kays on it then id like to see how bad they are.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im due for the 30k service very soon so Ill tell the guys at ford to have a look at it.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #19
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

wow they look cactus. I'm gonna ave a look at mine tomorro. And yes moisture but mostly from the slow boat from germany. Have any of you seen the steel on the underside of the dash, or even behind the glove box when opened. Those two spots will open your eyes. Let me just say it has my attention now.

As for the oil yep the best stuff I've eva used is Shell Helix Ultra. Fuel BP Ulitmate 98. And if you are in Perth WA. get ya hands on Eliminates Friction
Oil additive. Some dont like it fair enough, your choice. I ran it for years in my ford probe. Loved the stuff. My bro sends some over to me in QLD, cause you cant get it here.

I will be changing my own spark plugs as well if ford charge like a wounded bull.
Typical, my last service (also my frist) was $220. I asked if they could change the wiper blades while they were at it , $30 they charged me for 3 refills and 3mths later when it rained here they chatter and streak. Lats time thats eva gonna happen.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea - My wipers are bad... but get better when they are soaked in the rain.

As for the Sparks - shesh that is bad! Luckily I only have 1 more day....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you get to the plugs ?
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Take the air box off top. Should be under neath.
kiwijohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #23
crispymk2

Damn, thats pretty bad for such a fresh vehicle. If i do get this car maybe i should ask them to check the plugs before i take delivery?
Old 23-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #24
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Perhaps the spark plug drama is coming from being shipped over in the boat or being kept in storage yards here before they are sold. I'm thinking that if the cars are exposed to any of the sea air on the way over it could lead to certain parts of the car rusting early. It would depend on the metal used in the plugs as well, just some chemistry I seem to remember from school points towards certain metals oxidising when in contact with other metals.
Old 24-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does the airbox come off, removed the 2 ,10mm bolts and three hoses but only lifts up, won't come off. ? Seems to be hinged ? bolted ? at the back.
What is the Denso number ? thanks
Old 25-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #26
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to pull off the final 2 clips. It does require some force but it definatly is NOT bolted.
Old 26-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cann't see any clips anywhere ??
Old 26-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #28
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just keep pulling till it comes off.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #29
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Just ordered my self some NGK platimums @ $22 each from Auto One. Sounds a bit much but they are guarenteed to last much longer than any NO FRILLS plugs.
Old 26-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #30
frinik

anybody got some time to write up a step by step to get to the sparkplugs?
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post