Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default VicRoads RWC and extractors

Hey guys, I need a new cat back exhaust for my Falcon as one of the mufflers is rooted, I thought I might as well as do the whole hog including a high flow cat, but would it pass a victorian road worthy with extractors?

Thanks much.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
z80
Banned

Default Re: VicRoads RWC and extractors

Noise, emmisions and ADR.

good luck....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They don't check emissions on vic RWC I think
Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call the mechanic who you are getting the RWC through and speak to them.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

but the car has to appear to meet the emission levels set for the car

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Who is doing the job? You or a workshop? If its a workshop and you have asked for a RWC system, that's what you should get.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was going to get a system off the shelf and do the work myself, but I'm not sure if I can get anything legal?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wouldn't think it would make any difference to the cars roadworthyness. It doesn't have anything to do with noise requirements or emissions, just that its safe.

I've never heard of a car being knocked back for a RWC because of extractors or an exhaust, unless the exhaust is damaged or leaking etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I wouldn't think it would make any difference to the cars roadworthyness. It doesn't have anything to do with noise requirements or emissions, just that its safe.

I've never heard of a car being knocked back for a RWC because of extractors or an exhaust, unless the exhaust is damaged or leaking etc.
....... too loud would be a reason ?

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Nope. Again, not a safety issue, they are not the EPA.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Vehicles manufactured to comply with emission control ADRs must have all pipes, hoses, valves, sensors, fuel and air control devices and any other emission control equipment originally fitted by the vehicle manufacturer properly located and connected and not apparently damaged, deteriorated or altered in any way so as to appear ineffective.

Also check http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hey guys, I need a new cat back exhaust for my Falcon as one of the mufflers is rooted, I thought I might as well as do the whole hog including a high flow cat, but would it pass a victorian road worthy with extractors?

Thanks much.
If it's your car why do you need a RWC? If its not too load and don't carry on like a fool who would ever know? I'm not advocating the idea of an illegal system, just pointing out there are plenty of cars with full systems including cats and O2 sensors in place without drama.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
z80
Banned

I was told in very clear language that a 100 cpi "high flow" cat was illegal.

200 cpi was the bare minimum and 300 cpi was a safe bet.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i not sure on the legalities these days , but in my eyes as long the extractors have heat shielding if/where they need it and have the oxygen sensor fitted that works correctly, those would be the things i`d be worrying about, and excessive noise of course, the other thing is........some insurance companies WILL NOT COVER YOU WITH EXTRACTORS, definately worth checking up on that.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

"rwc place suspects a loud exhaust hes just going to tell you to make it quieter before he gives you the rwc cert" - that is what i was told by a a friend who does roady's

- they don't need to check emissions, if it sounds too loud, than it probably is too loud

as long as your car is roadworthy, that includes the exhaust, it may not come down to a safety issue, but "is it roadworthyness" - you can't expect them to pass a car that is loud, they could lose their license

Last edited by kyro_02; 05-02-2012 at 04:16 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
If it's your car why do you need a RWC? If its not too load and don't carry on like a fool who would ever know? I'm not advocating the idea of an illegal system, just pointing out there are plenty of cars with full systems including cats and O2 sensors in place without drama.
Its not registered yet as I bought it with no rego, I need a RWC before I can actually register it, I'm slowly getting it up to standard to go for the test, I want to do the blatantly obvious stuff first which I know it will fail on.

There is an issue with one or two of the mufflers being rusted in the system and its causing a vibration through the exhaust when you drop from 2000 RPM down to idle.

I thought I might as well as do the extractors and cat at the same time, but I'll just do cat back for now to get the roady.

I don't actually want the car to be loud, so if I could replace everything and get the same noise as standard or even less, I'd be happy.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
80rs

It will be roadworthy as long as you make sure the postioning of the cat does not change at all, you keep your original cat and that all anti pollution gear stays on the vehicle and is connect as per original like oxygen sensors, egr if it has it
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Just having extractors will not affect a RWC. As long as the cats are are in place and you have no exhaust leaks all is good.

They would obviously pick up those rusted mufflers as they would leak exhaust gas.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nope. Again, not a safety issue, they are not the EPA.
They won't notice or do anything about a car that's too loud? You keep telling yourself that...

Seriously though, people of my age went through this many many years ago...it did indeed used to be illegal to fit extractors, if they weren't factory on that car. They changed the laws because of the huge aftermarket industry and because they could prove fuel economy increases as a carbed engine breathed better and that they weren't just there for "hoon value"...people of all ages were starting to fit them as a normal mod when the time came for the whole exhaust system to be changed.

I don't think it would be the extractors that would give you a problem...it would be whatever you did past that point...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
They won't notice or do anything about a car that's too loud? You keep telling yourself that...

Seriously though, people of my age went through this many many years ago...it did indeed used to be illegal to fit extractors, if they weren't factory on that car. They changed the laws because of the huge aftermarket industry and because they could prove fuel economy increases as a carbed engine breathed better and that they weren't just there for "hoon value"...people of all ages were starting to fit them as a normal mod when the time came for the whole exhaust system to be changed.

I don't think it would be the extractors that would give you a problem...it would be whatever you did past that point...
I've had at least 5 V8's that were quite loud RWC'ed and never ever had it bought up, and I've never heard of anyone else having that issue either.

I know you hate modded cars so thats fine, but don't let your predudices blind you. Mechanics who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Still yet to hear a single person reply they had, or new someone who was knocked back on a RWC because of either extractors or too noisey.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I assume there would be an off the shelf option for something that is well within the legal limit anyways?

I don't want to have some fart cannon that wakes up the dead as I drive past.

I'll ring up the workshop I plan to get to do the RWC tomorrow and ask for their clarification on the issue, as it is now it certainly wont pass anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

....... sorry but cant help myself but have to agree with 2011G6E There are many on these pages that have problems with RWC's only because of noise ... not just because some gas is leaking, cat backs, extractors etc. Some are going through the dramas right this second.

And yes ..... mechanics can and very much do pick up a too loud an exhaust as part of the roady. They may not have the testing equip but believe me ...... they can knock it back just because.

Recently I have had the Landau looked at to get a RWC .... the very very first thing that was pointed out by two different blokes was .... "Its too loud for starters ....... "

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you put the new system on, they stick a machine on it to check the pollutants, mix, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
........some insurance companies WILL NOT COVER YOU WITH EXTRACTORS, definately worth checking up on that.
i think it's 'Just Cars' advertising unlimited legal mods.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
kezz90

Quote:
I've had at least 5 V8's that were quite loud RWC'ed and never ever had it bought up, and I've never heard of anyone else having that issue either.

I know you hate modded cars so thats fine, but don't let your predudices blind you. Mechanics who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Still yet to hear a single person reply they had, or new someone who was knocked back on a RWC because of either extractors or too noisey.
My mate got canaried about a year ago with an exhaust system on his xr the cop said it was too loud made him take it somewhere to be tested... it has to be under something like 93 decibells at a certian rev range and the reading is taken right at the exhaust outlet. Turned out his was about 6Db too loud and he got it quietened down..

Also I know when I got my bike rwc'd I had to stuff steel wool in the muffler to shut it up, bike's have to be under 93db at 8000rpm.
Prem Sound
kezz90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The V8 NF Fairlane I have has factory style extractors. 4 individual pipes per side, going into one outlet point, per side, just before the cats.

Do you need pics from underneath the car where they join into the system? Happy to oblige.

So are extractors illegal. Doubt it when the factory fitted them in 1995. (Perhaps before)

The only issue would be noise.

Your call from that

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 06-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezz90
My mate got canaried about a year ago with an exhaust system on his xr the cop said it was too loud made him take it somewhere to be tested... it has to be under something like 93 decibells at a certian rev range and the reading is taken right at the exhaust outlet. Turned out his was about 6Db too loud and he got it quietened down..

Also I know when I got my bike rwc'd I had to stuff steel wool in the muffler to shut it up, bike's have to be under 93db at 8000rpm.
They send them to be tested at the EPA. Same point I made earlier that people who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Its the EPA's job to test how much noise a car is making, not a mechanic doing a RWC.

If I had a mech telling me its too noisey i'd argue the point that he's not the EPA. Just having a noisey exhaust doesn't make a car unsafe. Thats the police and EPA's job to enforce.

Although maybe it does happen as some have said, but I disagree with it.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can disagree but what the rwc tester says will have more load than what you think.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
kezz90

Quote:
They send them to be tested at the EPA. Same point I made earlier that people who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Its the EPA's job to test how much noise a car is making, not a mechanic doing a RWC.

If I had a mech telling me its too noisey i'd argue the point that he's not the EPA. Just having a noisey exhaust doesn't make a car unsafe. Thats the police and EPA's job to enforce.

Although maybe it does happen as some have said, but I disagree with it.
Fair point however I'm more inclined to side with ratter on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
You can disagree but what the rwc tester says will have more load than what you think.
Prem Sound
Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, just noticed you're in Geelong...here in Queensland you do indeed get pinged for a car being too loud at a roadworthy. They might "not be the EPA", but they also know that if they pass a car for roadworthy, and it soon after gets done for excess noise (or anything else illegal or dodgy), the Transport Department will come looking for whoever gave the roadworthy with a pineapple and a tube of Deep Heat for a lubricant...

And it isn't the extractors that make a car "loud"...it's what's been done to the exhaust after that point that makes it loud. There are plenty of ways to make an exhaust have a nice note and still be well within the noise limits and still flow well. I've seen a 700hp R32 Skyline that was actually under the decibel limit because of a carefully designed exhaust system...a true sleeper.

Arguing with a roadworthy mechanic that he doesn't know what he's talking about and that whatever you're arguing the point on is, in your unexpert opinion, "safe" doesn't get you anywhere...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
kezz90

[quote=2011G6E]Sorry, just noticed you're in Geelong...here in Queensland you do indeed get pinged for a car being too loud at a roadworthy. They might "not be the EPA", but they also know that if they pass a car for roadworthy, and it soon after gets done for excess noise (or anything else illegal or dodgy), the Transport Department will come looking for whoever gave the roadworthy with a pineapple and a tube of Deep Heat for a lubricant...

quote]

hahaha
Prem Sound