Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Blowing tires

Saturday i hit a pot-hole and blew two tires. the hole was a lane wide, spread over both directions. of course this meant i had to call for a tow (NRMA)

while i was there, two other vehicles suffered blowouts on the same stretch of road. When i got back to town, the tow unloaded me at the tire shop, which fortunately he'd stayed open longer to help me. A beautiful XR5 was also there, he'd blown his tire in the same spot, but he'd buckled his rim.

so my saturday was mostly spent standing around, not getting to my destination and spending $320 on a pair of tires (one of which was less than a month old). whoot.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Blowing tires

Hope you took a photo of the pot hole so you can send it with the bill to your local council. Well, lets hope its a council road otherwise you have to deal with state or federal which is an absolute pain.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the problem with low profile tyres I guess. Still sucks, get onto the shire for some sort of compensation. Start out nice and see if they will come to the party, if not then start stomping your feet.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are your rims still round?? if it hit hard enough to blow the tyres it would be worth checking imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I know your pain.
Blew one tyre, wrecked one rim and slightly buckled another.
Tried claiming costs, but no good.
Have to prove council or shire negligent for not fixing repair in adequate time.
Good luck though.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
I know your pain.
Blew one tyre, wrecked one rim and slightly buckled another.
Tried claiming costs, but no good.
Have to prove council or shire negligent for not fixing repair in adequate time.
Good luck though.
I think from memory its 2 days for them to fix it before it becomes their fault. Sounds like it would be a fresh pot hole as it has sharp edges, hence blowing out two tyres. Still, i would put them under the pump!

Aussie Muscle,
Has their been much rain around your area over the past few days?
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is in Victoria most councils have limits that you need to reach for a claim.

It is in the legislation of the council.

From Memeory city of Melbourne is around $1800.

Off topic that is 1 nice looking ute.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Aussie Muscle,
Has their been much rain around your area over the past few days?
lotsa rain, but not enough to flood much (just missed out on enough bad weather. still, it's wrecked the roads.

Neither rims buckled, but i've got taller sidewalls compared to the Focus.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Thats the problem with low profile tyres I guess. Still sucks, get onto the shire for some sort of compensation. Start out nice and see if they will come to the party, if not then start stomping your feet.
Some councils will be liable, but theres a clause in my local council regarding this
IF they know of the issue, they can void their liabilities, but if its a fresh pothole and they havent yet been notified of it , then you could be in luck
But knowing how some councils work , they void any cost or liabilities at any cost
Oh except when it comes to pay rises or chasin unpaid rates or fines, then they are fast on the up take
Extracting money outta a council , youve more luck winning the lotto without a ticket
Local council out here gets upto 2 dozen tyre claims a week due to roads,havent heard of any win falls yet

At least the rims wernt damaged, thats good
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Some councils will be liable, but theres a clause in my local council regarding this
IF they know of the issue, they can void their liabilities, but if its a fresh pothole and they havent yet been notified of it , then you could be in luck
But knowing how some councils work , they void any cost or liabilities at any cost
Oh except when it comes to pay rises or chasin unpaid rates or fines, then they are fast on the up take
Extracting money outta a council , youve more luck winning the lotto without a ticket
Local council out here gets upto 2 dozen tyre claims a week due to roads,havent heard of any win falls yet

At least the rims wernt damaged, thats good
I thought it was the other way round. If they didn't know about it then you dont have a leg to stand on but if they did and they haven't fixed said hole, then they are liable....?
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hit a pot hole and bent the diff in my fg ute. Cost insurance 14k so far
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
I hit a pot hole and bent the diff in my fg ute. Cost insurance 14k so far
im surprised insurance is actually paying for that sort of thing :S
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
brydie76
Moff-fan

Know this happened to a lot of people in Broke (near Cessnock, Hunter Valley wine country) last week. The rain has just cut up the road to no end. A lot of the formerly "repaired" pot holes in my area are exposed again : (

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The trick with making a claim against the council is to claim the damage occured between when they were notified about it and when it was fixed.

Within this window they are liable. If it is local (which I doubt) keep an eye on it, or if possible get someone else to tell you when it's fixed. Claim it occured just before this date/time.

Of course be mindul of any dates on receipts when doing so.

I learned this the hard way by having a claim rejected on the basis that they had not been notified yet. As I was out of pocket I made a point of learning as much as possible about it (by being a pest and following up once rejected by the law firm representing the council on the matter)

This was Brisbane City Council. Don't know if it differs elsewhere though.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
im surprised insurance is actually paying for that sort of thing :S
It is still an accident regardless of what it is and there was nothing illegal involved so they had no choice
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
HUNTER8

Apparently the councils have "an obligation but not a responsibilty" to maintain roads as the lady at the council told me after buckling a wheel and destroying a tyre.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Apparently the councils have "an obligation but not a responsibilty" to maintain roads as the lady at the council told me after buckling a wheel and destroying a tyre.
I thought an obligation was greater than a responsibility.

How very helpful of her. At least you're clear now yeah....****
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awful lot of this going on...a woman I work with (one year old FG XR6 turbo on 19's) blew two tyres and damaged two rims a year ago down near Gympie, and just a week or so back wrecked another tyre down near the Sunny Coast while on holidays.

That's why i'm paranoid about the 19's on our G6E...they're gone as soon as the tyres wear out and something with a sidewall is getting fitted...probably 17's or the nice factory 18's on the XR50 model (the ones that are similar to the style of the wheels on that XR5 in the picture).

However, given some of the damn potholes I've seen, I don't think any size tyre could take it at speed without damage...it's about time someone with some legal backing made a test case against a council or the transport department.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i took out my rim tyre and diff on a pothole i had the 17's on. If the pothole is big enough it doesn't matter the rim size
Old 13-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
are your rims still round?? if it hit hard enough to blow the tyres it would be worth checking imo.

All wheels are balanced when a new tired is fitted, sometimes if the tire was popped in this tipe of incident, the rim would be spun before the tire is put on.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
Insider
Banned

Comes down to poor driving if you can see a pot hole coming up and slow down in time unless it was on the other side of a crest or on a blind curve , go sit your driving test again.
Insider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

However, given some of the damn potholes I've seen, I don't think any size tyre could take it at speed without damage...
Its one of the main reasons i drive a 4by
The roads are terrible out here, the mobile fone coverage is just as bad
You do a tyre , better learn how to walk and long distances to ring someone

We had a pothole, rather deep and large in the street,just under 3 years for the repair, it hasnt been fixed long and its dodge repair

There might been some info on maybe RACQ website regarding council legal obligations ???,it was something by some wombat from RACQ that i read about it before
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E..It would be nice to know where our exorbitant car registration fees go !!! they aren't being spent on our roads!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider
Comes down to poor driving if you can see a pot hole coming up and slow down in time unless it was on the other side of a crest or on a blind curve , go sit your driving test again.
Obviously you live in a city and drive only on Freeways in dry conditions, otherwise you wouldn't come out with such an inane statement.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
yeah really darn clever !!

lets swerve all over the road to dodge something that may or may not be a pothole big enough to do damage
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Insider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Obviously you live in a city and drive only on Freeways in dry conditions, otherwise you wouldn't come out with such an inane statement.
Well if you call driving a B Double between Sydney and Brisbane city and freeway driving then good for you, A good driver slows down if they see an obstruction on the road.
Insider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

There was a story in the newspaper around my area recently where a stretch of road claimed about 10 cars (not just 1 tyre but 2). The council were quick to fix that one...

I play dodge the potholes everyday on my way to work (which is a part of a different council). These roads have been damaged since christmas time... This council need to pull their finger out that's for sure
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Chopped
as in chopped

Looks like you had a suckful day !!

My missus "who was just driving along!" popped a brand new tyre and buckled a brand new rim on the first day I got them on her car. Tyre place couldn't believe my luck (or theirs!).

Brisbane had some shocking pot holes after all the rain we had last year.
Old 13-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Great comment about a rediculous statement!

Be nice if you could always "see an obstruction" way ahead on a pristine level straight piece of road and have the luxury of time to do something about it...not when you crest a damn hill covering just over 27 meters a second at highway speeds and the things appear, or you spot it while traffic comes the other way and they've crafted the roads with steep drop-offs at the edge so you can't go anywhere, or at night, or in the rain, or when they appear out from under a truck of car in front of you and you literally have zero reaction time, or when the pothole merges into the dark grey bitumen and is just about invisible or merely looks like a discoloured patch...until you hit it...I could go on.

I never make fun of anyone who's been unfortunate enough to hit a pothole on our crappy underfunded road system..."there but for the grace of god go I" sort of thing you know...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well if you call driving a B Double between Sydney and Brisbane city and freeway driving then good for you, A good driver slows down if they see an obstruction on the road.
Well der. Its the whole not seeing the obstruction that causes accidents/what ever. What a stupid comment