Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Lets talk L and P speed limits

Hey all.

Something that has gotten on my nerves for a while now. Why is it that most of us Australians have to abide by the L plate 80kmph limit, 90 P1 and 100 P2?

Doesnt quite make sense to me. Guy gets his L's but cant exceed 80. So he has no idea what driving at beyond 80 is like plus if he gets onto the highway, he becomes a hazard.

P1 licence holders. 90 for what reason? If they felt 90 and beyond before there wouldnt be any issue.

Ditto with P2. Freakin joke on the highways. I have done and do thousands on highway klms each year and so far its increased my time on the road increasing fatigue plus it seems to be a good little money pincher.
110 zone. P1 driver going the posted limit which is legally safe, 20kms over the licence limit, $430 fine instead of $200 somthing? Should not even be a fine. P2, similar story.

How come WA doesnt have this law? How come their road toll is not astronomical?

Yes. Experience helps in not perishing on our roads but if one cant experience beyond 80 while on LEARNERS, what gives? They go by themselves driving at speeds unknown to them.

It all comes down to sense, the fully licenced driver should start the new driver off in the burbs, 50. Once they get the hang of driving and controlling a motor vehicle at what id call low speeds, go up more, 60, 70, 80, 90 so on and so forth. So long as you can see the new driver can handle it, there would be no issue. Least thats the case in all sizes of city and decent sized towns. Smaller country towns would mean lots of highway..but i wont go into that.

Either way, in my opinion, the licence speed limits are a fantastic crock...i wanna go WA..

So thats my rant. Sick n tired of this crap.
Guess i should go get my flame suit now.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lets talk L and P speed limits

Yes I agree, it is a wowser appeasing knee jerk policy that actually causes more dangerous situations that it prevents.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Nothing of the sort here in Victoria, doesn't make sense to me.

Going by the Melbourne Airport I seen a NSW P plater doing 80km/h in the right lane on the Tullamarine freeway, with the P and in a circle, 80 in it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is rediculous!
To be honest, a leaner doing 110 on the freeway is safer than a learner doing 50 in a 50 zone through the streets of the sydney CBD!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
MkyHnly

I live in Victoria and as previously mentioned there are no speed limitations on L's or P's.

I just went through the whole process and I am glad I had the opportunity to experience what 100kph feels like for the first time with my parents next to me... And it is scary to think that these laws actually exist. It is just another excuse for young people (like myself) to rebel against the government and exceed the speed limit - but do you think they will only rebel to the road's speed limit? No! They will push the limits.

I believe it is just a road hazard to other road users if they have to dodge L or P platers on the freeway who are doing 20kph under the limit.

I think Vic has it down pat - maybe the rest of Aus should follow suit?
MkyHnly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Hey all.

Something that has gotten on my nerves for a while now. Why is it that most of us Australians have to abide by the L plate 80kmph limit, 90 P1 and 100 P2?

Doesnt quite make sense to me. Guy gets his L's but cant exceed 80. So he has no idea what driving at beyond 80 is like plus if he gets onto the highway, he becomes a hazard.

P1 licence holders. 90 for what reason? If they felt 90 and beyond before there wouldnt be any issue.

Ditto with P2. Freakin joke on the highways. I have done and do thousands on highway klms each year and so far its increased my time on the road increasing fatigue plus it seems to be a good little money pincher.
110 zone. P1 driver going the posted limit which is legally safe, 20kms over the licence limit, $430 fine instead of $200 somthing? Should not even be a fine. P2, similar story.

How come WA doesnt have this law? How come their road toll is not astronomical?

Yes. Experience helps in not perishing on our roads but if one cant experience beyond 80 while on LEARNERS, what gives? They go by themselves driving at speeds unknown to them.

It all comes down to sense, the fully licenced driver should start the new driver off in the burbs, 50. Once they get the hang of driving and controlling a motor vehicle at what id call low speeds, go up more, 60, 70, 80, 90 so on and so forth. So long as you can see the new driver can handle it, there would be no issue. Least thats the case in all sizes of city and decent sized towns. Smaller country towns would mean lots of highway..but i wont go into that.

Either way, in my opinion, the licence speed limits are a fantastic crock...i wanna go WA..

So thats my rant. Sick n tired of this crap.
Guess i should go get my flame suit now.
It must be because WA is the best state to live in.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I think you're right kempy, I think you're right... I was doing 90 km/h on a backroad just 2 hours ago...
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Didnt know Vic didnt have those laws. Great!

And hm, driving over there next year....maybe i wont come back?

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

if i could do any speed limit that's sign posted (unlike my current 80km/h limit), then it'd make my life a lot better because then i can just set cruise for 110km/h, and enjoy a nice drive down, and not worry when trucks and other cars come flying up behind me, and just narrowly missing me!!
Old 16-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Which will mean I'll have to deal with the terror of having Mike around all the time...
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy
Which will mean I'll have to deal with the terror of having Mike around all the time...
Tehehe BE AFRAID!!

And agreed Xrghia.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Victoria's licensing system is probably the best of the bunch but the logbook system needs serious tweaking. NSW speed limits are ridiculous but you get your licence too young over there, and the WA licensing system is way too liberal.
Old 16-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

As a P plater in a state without these inane speed restrictions, these laws make absolutely no sense to me. Would this not simply annoy other road users?
Regarding experiencing what 100 km/h feels like, when I was first learning to drive, I was doing the school run (driving my dad's 1998 CLK) which was 80 km/h max. I felt like I could handle that okay, so I decided to travel on a 100 km/h freeway. I have never been more scared in my life (although this was partly due to the fact that the car had little directional stability). I'd much rather experience this for the first time with my dad guiding me, as it feels much more 'intense' (for lack of a better word) than 80 km/h when you first attempt it.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

Ridiculous laws. We need people with a whole brain in our government placing laws in place that are concise and logical. Not these half whit, minority group minded bureaucrats that only care about pushing their agendas. Don't get me started!
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Be grateful that some Sargent Safety doesn't insist on 5 kph and a man walking in front of you with a red flag...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Fair call from all of you, i myself have seen red p platers doing 110 + on the f3 going past the wyong tuggerah exit, and even seen L and P platers doing 60+ on parra rd (although the limit is 60??)

I'll admit im not perfect when i was on my reds i also did a bit over the limit here and there, but realised what i was doing was being a tool ( typical p plater???)
I'm unsure of some of the road rules in states other than NSW but they keep changing the rules here and bringing out defence driving cources for new and upcomming drivers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Nothing of the sort here in Victoria, doesn't make sense to me.

Going by the Melbourne Airport I seen a NSW P plater doing 80km/h in the right lane on the Tullamarine freeway, with the P and in a circle, 80 in it.
Agree that being in the right lane is WRONG on many levels! esp on hwy's and fwy's. but Damo the limit for red p is 90 my friend
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
BHDOGS
Banned

its a simple system most drivers are crap so they make it tougher and stupider for young kids to get there license they grow up learning how to drive crap from there crap parents who cant drive so they bring in tougher licensing and stupider restrictions round and round it goes what would be more beneficial is licensing tests for everybody on the road ala yearly roadworthy's for cars how bout 3 year roadworthy's for licenses.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
if i could do any speed limit that's sign posted (unlike my current 80km/h limit), then it'd make my life a lot better because then i can just set cruise for 110km/h, and enjoy a nice drive down, and not worry when trucks and other cars come flying up behind me, and just narrowly missing me!!
Mate I hear you can do 90, on your L's when on a highway if the posted speed is 100 or 110, still doesn't do much justice, I just tuck my P's behind the place and proceed to drive normally, more dangerous to drive slow.

But NSW is full of stupid things in many aspects of their policing and road rules, if I had a chance, I'd clean them up so they aren't extremely stupid and made by a monkey that worked at NASA.

But in my honest opinion, I've seen more people 65+ do some pretty ridiculous things compared to those on their L's and P's, I've almost been in a crash 3 times due to old people pulling out in front when I have right of way, I now make sure to double check all turning cars and slow town at least 10km/h because I know some of them will do stupid things, a third time an old man pulled over to the side of the road, I was about 2-3 car lengths behind him, he almost stopped then pulled right back out onto the road, I slammed the brakes and swerved to miss his back end...

I've seen too many older seniors do bad things, just last week and old senior ran into someone on the roundabout, didn't try to help and it was because she was on a giveaway sign but obviously didn't give away.

But back to the topic, NSW Government has some of the stupidest monkeys in the road rules division.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
Kryton

Instead of whinging about it on the net, why not get up and do something about it - like start a petition, make a Facebook page or write a letter to your local member.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
As a P plater in a state without these inane speed restrictions, these laws make absolutely no sense to me. Would this not simply annoy other road users?
no only are they rolling road blocks, but you also catch up to them very quickly. i'm amazed there's never been anyone hit up the back end.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
EgoFalcon
The Villan

NSW P platers have speed restrictions?!?!

I get passed by them on the highway when I'm doing 110...

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Because if they go any faster EVERYONE will die.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

If (in NSW at least) the government was to do the sensible thing and raise L/P limits to 110 then it would fly in the face of their 'speed kills' mantra: the tv stations would have a field day, the Premier Fatty O Barrell would be held personally accountable for the next P plate death by the knee-jerk newspapers and it would place the deal with Mac Bank regarding unmarked, secret speeding cameras in Territories in jepoardy. In short, political (and financial suicide). Never going to happen in NSW.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure didn't feel safe doing 80 in a 110 on my L's, cars constantly flying past.
Parents always got me to sit at 100, atleast that way you could tuck in behind a car doing a similar speed.
P's, well does anyone on their P's not do 110-120?

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
XR6TOY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear ya, but what do you want them to do ? Not hearing many suggestions. Unfortunately there is a minority that ruin it for other young drivers so the Goverment has to react to that. No, I don't have the answer & was a hoon myself when I was on my P's, I was just lucky that nothing happened to me when I look back on it. Not having a go at anyone here but really keen to see what you come up with on how to try & reduce some the deaths on our roads by inexperienced & young drivers. The reason speeds are limited to 80,90,100 is to allow for the fact that the driver is inexperienced & has a better chance at reacting to a situation at a slower speed. Ok, now I'll put my flame suit on.....lol
2008 FG XR6T in Silhouette. T2 Slotted Rotors, 19" Vertini Drift Rims, King Springs - sssl Rear & ssl Front, Earls Oil Line Filter, Aeroflow Overflow Tank, Intune Intercooler Piping Kit, Plazmaman Throttle Bottle Elbow, Turbosmart BOV, Turbosmart Actuator, Process West Stage 1 Intercooler, PAC Racing Valve Springs, Atomic Billet Oil Pump Gears, Pacemaker Quad Exhaust, Herrod CAI, 4inch Muffler Delete, XR8 Bonnet,More to come.....
XR6TOY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a bit on the fence with this one.
There has been situations when im driving up and down the F3 at 110 and thought i don't think someone with little to no experience could handle these speeds, with constant lane changes and massive differentiating speeds between cars and trucks on the steep hills you really have to know what your doing.
However i have seen people a lot older with a lot more experience make extremely stupid moves.

I'm sure on most other Highways an L/P plater doing the posted speed limit isnt going to present any danger.

Maybe a speed revision could be in order?
L - 90km
P1 - 100km
P2 - 110km

Last edited by lockieoc; 16-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Torment47
Mr Hoon

I can see where your comming from Johnoa74, If i see a L or P plate of any colour speeding on the motorway,highway or freeway i'll just stand clear of them ( or be in the right lane o/t them if im not speeding) I was lucky myself when on my P's esp when i wen't to QLD , spotted 3 highway patrol cars parked up, these days if im in my friends cars or family, ill always scan for potential undercover cars or coppas, most of the time you won;t see them until you are close and by then it's to late!
You know the more this shyte goes on ( young driver fatalities) the more the roads minister wil be tempted to Change/make new rules and even make you do driving cources before you can get a license, which obviousley means getting a license will not only take forever for a newb but wil become COSTLY!

Johnoa, do you think more cops on our roads or Camera's will prevent or make people think twice about speeding and putting themselfs and others at risk??
If so that would be a 1st suggestion.
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
I'm a bit on the fence with this one.
There has been situations when im driving up and down the F3 at 110 and thought i don't think someone with little to no experience could handle these speeds, with constant lane changes and massive differentiating speeds between cars and trucks on the steep hills you really have to know what your doing.
However i have seen people a lot older with a lot more experience make extremely stupid moves.

I'm sure on most other Highways an L/P plater doing the posted speed limit isnt going to present any danger.

Maybe a speed revision could be in order?
L - 90km
P1 - 100km
P2 - 110km
That is where logic comes in. The driver should back it down if they are still relativley new to driving. If they are macho and reckon theyll be right and stack it, too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Instead of whinging about it on the net, why not get up and do something about it - like start a petition, make a Facebook page or write a letter to your local member.
Who's going to listen? Not the brainwashed majority thats for sure. Local member wont do jack all, he's a nobody in the big picture.

Nothing minor like a bunch of enthusiasts would make these braindead toothpicks change their ways. BUT, one can only try, and i might just do that. Be interesting to see how many i can get on a petition.
Also happy to be told otherwise, im not educated on local politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
NSW P platers have speed restrictions?!?!

I get passed by them on the highway when I'm doing 110...
Thats because they still have all their points and see no reason to abide by the joker plate limit. Most cars do up to 120 on highways/freeways, half the time its traffic flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoa74
I hear ya, but what do you want them to do ? Not hearing many suggestions. Unfortunately there is a minority that ruin it for other young drivers so the Goverment has to react to that. No, I don't have the answer & was a hoon myself when I was on my P's, I was just lucky that nothing happened to me when I look back on it. Not having a go at anyone here but really keen to see what you come up with on how to try & reduce some the deaths on our roads by inexperienced & young drivers. The reason speeds are limited to 80,90,100 is to allow for the fact that the driver is inexperienced & has a better chance at reacting to a situation at a slower speed. Ok, now I'll put my flame suit on.....lol
How to reduce deaths of inexperienced and youngins on the road. Well. You cant. Fact of life. You could throw compulsury driver training at them. Make it law that we have to do it and we have to pay. Its only $250ish?
The only way to gain experience is to drive. Speed limiting young drivers is not the way to go. There is a very flawed way of thinking here in Australia...

So to finish, its unavoidable. Stupid and/or inexperience cannot be cured no matter how many laws you impose.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #29
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

L platers must only be allowed to drive 30km/h.

P platers must only be allowed to drive 30km/h.

Full licence holders must only be allowed to drive at 40km/h.

Police must be allowed to drive 150km/h and all supplied with a minimum of a HSV/FPV vehicle and a set of new tyres for every week including endless supply of 100 octaine fuel.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
casabonka
You can call me Chris

try doing 80 or 90 on two wheels... means I avoid freeways and any long trip takes a stupid amount of time longer!!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post