Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Tjen
Starter Motor

Default Suggestions and opinions needed for buying used Ford Focus

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a used Focus LX LS/LT and I will visit few dealerships soon. I have no experience or whatsoever in getting a used car from dealerships. I really need your suggestions and opinions on how to bargain from dealerships.

1. How much can I bargain for Focus LS/LT ? If a dealer puts a price of, let's say $16,990, can I still bargain for $2,000 less (driveaway) ? Do you guys think that it is reasonable / it is UNreasonable / we can bargain for more than $2,000 ?

I'm asking this because my friend once wanted to sell his old Holden Astra to a dealer, but it was only valued at $4,000 and the dealer told him that they were going to resell it again at $14,000 price tag. So I just want to bargain as much as I can within reasonable range.

2. How can you tell that the dealers have already reached their lowest price for a certain car ?

3. What extras or options or other stuffs we can get from the dealers ?

Please help me with any useful information on how to beat a dealer. Thanks in advance !

PS: I looked at Pickles Auction, and they have lots of cars with good prices. Have any of you had experience with Pickles Auction ?

Tjen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjen
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a used Focus LX LS/LT and I will visit few dealerships soon. I have no experience or whatsoever in getting a used car from dealerships. I really need your suggestions and opinions on how to bargain from dealerships.
This thread will help you out:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281405

Quote:
1. How much can I bargain for Focus LS/LT ? If a dealer puts a price of, let's say $16,990, can I still bargain for $2,000 less (driveaway) ? Do you guys think that it is reasonable / it is UNreasonable / we can bargain for more than $2,000 ?
You can bargain whatever you want. If a car was advertised for 17 grand I would start at around 14.5k. Providing your research shows that the original asking price is not over the top.

Quote:
I'm asking this because my friend once wanted to sell his old Holden Astra to a dealer, but it was only valued at $4,000 and the dealer told him that they were going to resell it again at $14,000 price tag. So I just want to bargain as much as I can within reasonable range.
I doubt your friend is telling the truth. No dealer will offer a trade in price, then tell the owner that they are going to markup the price 10 grand.

If you have a trade in, sell private if possible.

Quote:
2. How can you tell that the dealers have already reached their lowest price for a certain car ?
When they don't chase you out the door on your lowest offer, you will know they have reached the lowest price. Walking away can work wonders. The worst that can happen is you buy at their final price mentioned, and the best that can happen is they go down closer to your offer.

Quote:
3. What extras or options or other stuffs we can get from the dealers ?
If you do get options, buy things you can see. Don't bother with fabric / paint protection. Options like alarm, tint, body protectors and mats have huge markups. Buy them yourself at a later date and save a great deal for comparabe products.

Quote:
Please help me with any useful information on how to beat a dealer. Thanks in advance !

PS: I looked at Pickles Auction, and they have lots of cars with good prices. Have any of you had experience with Pickles Auction ?
You are not trying to 'beat' anyone. If you walk in with that attitude, you will be walking home. You want a car, they want a sale. Work together and it will be a win / win outcome.

Tread very carefully with auction cars.. take a person who knows what they are looking for when inspecting prior to auction.

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Also theres a for sale thread at the bottom of the home page that may provide some pain free buying for you if you want.......
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post