Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta Options not available in Oz

Pics of the other parts just received:

My preferred overhead light, without the unnecessary 'alarm sensors'. Still has the map lights and the ambient light - which still requires a separate line run from the dash. It will need a bit of a cleanup though by the looks of it.

And some images of the Single Zone Auto Climate Control module (EATC). I needed one with a front Bezel from a matching Fiesta. The bezel has a holder for the Cabin Temp sensor which is a part match for the one that came with the LT Focus dash.

While the opening in the bezel looks the same as for the LTFocus, the SZ Module is actually noticeably smaller across in the section between the dials. So the Dual Zone modules do not actually fit inside the SZ bezel. The mounting accoutrements at the rear of the bezel and for the module itself are also different. The Fiesta bezel could be filed out to fit a DZ module in it I suspect, but I am going to push ahead with just the SZ option for now and wait until later to think about if DZ is an option.

Lukeyson
Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I also found this on Aliexpress - the Window Mirror switch with the Powerfold option shipped to oz for $19.

Lukeyson
Old 22-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
n.mcmahon
Nicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
I have a couple of additions to the parts:

(5) Reverse Park Sensors - there's a factory 'ParkPilot' system. I'm a sucker for sensors. Every other car I have has them. I need these bastards.

Lukeyson

There was a locally supplied dealer-fitted reverse parking sensor kit specific to the Fiesta WP/WQ (Ford part# WP13K236AA). I recently tracked one of these down on eBay for the poultry price of $95. Reckon it had been sitting in old stock for a long time. Being such a small car, not many local buyers would have ticked this option. I've only ever seen one Fiesta WQ (a Zetec) that had factory sensors fitted. These kits appear thin on the ground now.

Anyway, the aftermarket/dealer-fitted kit is very similar to the kit I installed on our Territory a few years ago. Detailed installation instructions specific to the Fiesta were easy to follow and they work well. The only difficult part was re-attaching the rear bumper, which requires you to source a couple of new blind rivets of a specific type. Managed to get them from Ford spares and they only had a few left. They were also really hard to install with a standard rivet hand tool.

I reckon the sensors make my red XR4 look better from the rear. Others will argue with that but at least I'm reducing the risk of my wife backing it into the gate.

I'm keen to consider the auto-headlight switch next. Seem relatively easy from what I read in this thread?
n.mcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #34
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'd love some photos of this, or perhaps a scan of the Fiesta specific instructions. I've got a dealer-fit sensor kit for a falcon at home and thought it might work in a Fiesta - but how the looms route, where the module sites, how it gets power are all of interest to me in the Fiesta world.

Do you have any pics or anything that is scannable?

And yes, I know what you mean about the steel rivet that has to be drilled out and replaced on either wheel arch for the rear bumper. The rear is where my 'wreck' had received a minor tap, and it took me a bit to realize that I had to be destructive to remove the bumper - and drill out that rivet. The BA Falcon and SX Territory I have, on the other hand, are all bolted and clipped on without the need to be destructive. Much better. The BA/SX bumpers also had markers on the inside to show where the sensors go. I didn't see that on the Fiesta.

Otherwise, on the sensor front, there are a lot of places in the UK with used factory fit 'Park Pilot' modules, and sensors can even be found on AliExpress. Finding a fiesta-specific loom is the challenge. But if my memory serves me right, the actual part code for some of the Fiesta 'Park Distance Control' system actually had MkIII Mondeo prefixes on them. Not that any of those came to Oz....

None of those reverse park modules integrate with the vehicle looms for anything other than power though. Both the BA and SX factory installed modules (a) have CAN Bus interfaces on them so I can troubleshoot individual sensor issues using the OBD scanner (which came in handy when one sensor failed recently) and (b) have audio integration into the factory sound system so that reverse parking comes out of the factory audio speakers. No such luck in Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo land it would seem.

Luke
Old 24-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #35
n.mcmahon
Nicko

I had a look around for the Installation Instructions that came with the kit but I have a sneaky suspicion they got tossed during a garage cleanup recently. Kicking myself if I have because they are quite handy as a reference. You could try quoting the part # to Ford and see if they have anything on file?

The kit was definitely made by the same local supplier who did the SX/SY Territory kit I installed and presumably they do the Falcon kits too. Perhaps try contacting them if they still exist (Vision Automotive Technology)?

The installation required removal of the rear bumper as well as the centre and LHS internal boot trim. The module and buzzer are installed on the sheetmetal behind the LHS boot carpet. I can't recall the exact details but the internal loom had a wire tap for the reverse light conductors that run into the LHS rear light cluster. I recall I had some issues getting a decent connection and it was also a little short and only just reached the existing loom.

The external sensor loom is then fed down through a hole in the sheetmetal at the lower LHS corner of the boot cavity. There was an existing grommet/plug in the hole that you have to remove and then cut a slit or hole to accommodate the loom. I recall the hole being quite small and the connectors only fit through with some careful manoeuvring.

Because the kit was so old, the 3M cable clips that are supplied to stick onto the rear nudge bar were totally dry. In any case I couldn't see them staying stuck long-term anyway so I just used cable ties. One thing I noted was the the spacing of the sensor connectors on the loom didn't quite match the position of the sensors on the bumper. Nothing drastic but one or two had to be unwound from the main loom bundle to allow enough length to reach the sensor.

Finally, you are right about the Territory having markers on the inner side to show where the sensors should be placed. For the Fiesta, the kit supplied 4 x paper templates that you stick at set measurements along the bumper.

So, I reckon your Falcon kit could be modified to suit the Fiesta because I'm sure 95% of it is exactly the same as the Fiesta kit I used. Happy to help with more details and try to pull some photos together if you need (haven't quite worked out how to attach images to this thread yet).

Cheers Nick
Old 15-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #36
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Thanks Nick.

Most of that I could work up from a Focus or Territory Kit, I think you're right. I already have a number plate light reverse camera working, feeding into our aftermarket head unit. Has come in handy already for some very tight parks.

But the sensor spacing. Any chance you could take some measurements - distance from the top of the bumper, distance between sensors etc so that we could get a rough idea of where the holes need to be drilled?

Luke

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 15-08-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #37
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Powerfold Mirrors.

I have a friend flying to the UK in October, and he volunteered to stuff some Powerfold Mirrors in his luggage to bring back. Now I just have to find them again.

The website I had linked before, kbaparts.co.uk - I've just tried to use in anger, and it looks like that website is actually a dud. Can't setup an account to buy. Can't buy as a a guest because none of the links to Paypal work.

These mirrors are available from ebay.co.uk, but at about 60 to 70 Pounds ea, rather than the 40 on that website. The parts are: FDFI790EHPFR and FDFI790EHPFL.

As for the switch with the 8th pin and the detent for switching the powerfold mirrors in and out manually, my order from AliExpress has arrived.

Luke
Old 18-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #38
n.mcmahon
Nicko

[QUOTE=Luke Plaizier;6329576]

Hi Luke,

Here is a couple of photos of the finished job. The position of the sensors is exactly as per the kit instructions as follows:

-Inner two sensors: 240mm left and right from vertical centre line of bumper.
-Outer two sensors: 620mm left and right from vertical centre line of bumper.
-All sensors are 25mm below the upper crease-line on the bumper.
-All measurements are to the centre of each sensor.

I note you have the optional stripes. I have a set of white stripes in storage that I may apply to my red XR4 at some stage. However, my rough measurements suggest that the outer edges of the stripes may be where the inner two sensors are? Let me know how this plays out for you and how you deal with the stripe. I reckon neatly cutting the stripe around the body coloured sensor would still look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_06622.jpg (102.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663_LI2.jpg (116.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 25-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #39
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Thanks heaps Nicko. That was the main bit I was missing.

Your paint matching looks spot on too. I'm jealous of you having a Red one. The Paint alone must be good for an extra 5Kw....

Lukeyson
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #40
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Just ordered a set of powerfold mirrors from onlineparts.co.uk. ABAKUS 1213M06 and 1213M05 aftermarket powerfold mirrors. Shippping to a friends place in the UK who will bring them back in his luggage.

Lukeyson
Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #41
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

A 2015 Ranger Wildtrack turned up at a local wreckers this week. I couldn't help myself, the overhead console was a reasonable price. When I went to go and pick it up I discovered it was black! Thought about it for a little while, I really wanted a cream one, but then figured this blackness is not so common, so I'd go ahead anyway.

Luke
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #42
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The mirrors have arrived.....

Lukeyson
Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #43
Aaron

Quote:
Missed one.

the ST150 had the option of Full Leather Seats - which are electrically warmed, and apparently plug into the standard loom as a direct swap.....

I wish I could find the Australian WQ Fiesta brochure, that would certainly help.

Lukeyson
Have seen a XR4 sitting in a yard in Sydney with full leather interior. Maybe someone did a Ghia transplant maybe it was an option?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #44
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I am aware that some people are getting later model Fiesta ST180 front seats to fit into the XR4, which are more readily available in Australia. There's some drilling and tapping involved - or rivnut/nutsert if you trust that for a car seat. Could that have been it?

If only you could have captured pics.....

Lukeyson
Old 17-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #45
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

On another note, one of the things I was waiting on was a WQ heater box so I could do some research. My hope was that the heater box from a Manual Climate and an Auto Climate fiesta were otherwise identical - other than the auto unit having actuators and sensors, and the manual unit having links to the manual controls. if you recall, the part numbers for the actuators and sensors were identical to a LS/LT Focus, and I was able to grab a bunch of those from a wreck recently.

Alas, I have finally had a chance to pull a dash out and have a look, and upsettingly it is not the case. It appears that the Heater Unit on the Auto-Climate cars has custom mouldings to mount the actuators - those mouldings just do not exist on the Manual heater unit.

I have contacted a place in the UK for pricing on a heater unit with auto-climate. Fingers crossed it's not stupid amounts of money. It might be light, but being a relatively big unit I am fearful it might cost more to ship it here than the value of the unit itself, and the exchange rate is pretty much in cactus territory at the moment too.....

Luke
Old 18-01-2020, 12:38 AM   #46
Aaron

Ahhh the leather car is a Ghia transplant. It’s VIN decodes through ETIS comes back as having the same Red Cloth combo a silver XR4 should have.
Old 20-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #47
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I didn't think Aussie Ghia's had leather? The Sales Brochure I have at least says that. Could they be imported?

Luke
Old 20-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #48
Aaron

Luke I don’t know how complete it is but I may have access to LS Focus HVAC - I’ll also cruise the box of loom bits for anything interesting along your research lines...

Bought a XR4 yesterday so will be following some of your ideas through as well (like rain sensing and auto lights).
Old 20-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #49
Aaron

Quote:
I didn't think Aussie Ghia's had leather? The Sales Brochure I have at least says that. Could they be imported?

Luke
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...G-AD-18248649/

I’ve seen a few leather Ghias turn up in ads. This thing is a true XR4 when I ran the VIN through ETIS but the build sheet and ETIS both come back with Red standard interior for a silver car...

The Russian sourced build sheets do need more investigation because I think more Focus/Mondeo option group codes may be common...
Old 27-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #50
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

If you come across any more links I'll be keen to see them. So far every Ghia with pics I've found online has cloth seats. That link above doesn't seem to have a VIN or interior pics - I take it you went down and had a look at it?

Luke
Old 27-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #51
Aaron

Quote:
If you come across any more links I'll be keen to see them. So far every Ghia with pics I've found online has cloth seats. That link above doesn't seem to have a VIN or interior pics - I take it you went down and had a look at it?
It was cross listed by the Yard to Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree. Generally most cars cross listed end up with a VIN listed somewhere between those.
Old 28-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #52
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'll keep looking. I actually went to gumtree to find that car in the link above but didn't have any luck. Gumtree had a bunch of Ghias with additional photos and that's where I saw all-cloth-trim models.

On another front, I've also been doing some research on clocksprings/squibs as part of my efforts to move the guts of a write-off XR4 into a re-registerable 3 door chassis. Non ESC Fiestas have a different clockspring part number and connector to the ESC fiestas. But the ESC fiesta's look to have a whole lot of pins free. The ESC fiesta clockspring looks like it might have a built-in steering angle sensor, as it has the 4 wires from the ESC module straight to it that don't come out the other side. but I would be interested to find an XR4 clockspring and see whether any of the spare pins connect through or not.

I am piqued by the idea of either fitting a later model Fiesta wheel with radio controls and use the spare pins, or possibly even using a DY Mazda 2 from the same era that seems to have wheel buttons as well - but admittedly looks a bit on the ugly side... A clockspring from a later model fiesta with stability control might also be interesting to explore.

Then again, a DY column with indicator on the friggen RIGHT would be better still....

Luke
Old 30-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #53
Aaron

Thinking about the looms Luke I think instead of thinking about ESC or non ESC I think the split will be around engine, transmission and then a “high featur” and “low feature” sort of arrangement where as you’ve already found additional sub-looms are simply pinned into connectors.

For a manufacturer the connector shells are incredibly cheap - the additional wire, its termination into looms and inserting into connectors is where all the actual cost is.

I’ve got a good interest in the Auto-lights and auto wiper setup, it would seem making a high feature sub-loom for the sensor would be easy as the connector insert/pins will be available via one of the electrical suppliers and even the connector shell for the sensor end. It’s the activation in the computer where I’m a bit lost as I’ve not stayed up to date with all the “as built” etc etc terminology and techniques.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #54
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The Looms for the WQ fiesta actually have different part numbers in Microcat depending on the features they have - for example, the Dash loom has versions for man/auto, with/less ESC, with/less Front Heated Windscreen, with/less remote controlled tailgate, with/less air conditioning, with/less eatc and with/less front fog lamps. I don't have a full count, but there must be some 50 or so part numbers with various permutations and combinations.

Anyways, I thought it time to show some pics of the state of play..

Pics of the $300 hack with all the interior burned bits removed. This thing will be receiving all the goods - most of the XR4 running gearfrom the wreck, auto climate/wipers/lights etc, folding mirrors, Mazda 2 DY steering column (if that indeed works), Mazda 5 2.5 and MTX75 trans.

While the XR4 wreck is being steadily dismantled:

Lukeyson
Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #55
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I have located an Ocean Blue Ghia in the UK. But it is a 5 door.

I am going to see if I can get colour coded door handles, mirror scalps and boot trim moulding. Unfortunately the 5 door's door-side-mouldings will not fit on the 3 door..... oh, and the grille inserts for the fog lights, since we have the mounting and the wiring in there already, and the lamps/lenses can be bought from Aliexpress at $20 a pair. I just need the grill inserts to make them work - and do you think I can find them at a reasonable price anywhere in Australia? People are asking $50 for each side - just for the inserts. Someone has both sides + lamps for sale for $250 - used. They must be rare here or something.

Luke

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 01-02-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #56
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

As per the conversations from Facebook (I only just realised Aaron_M might be Aaron Mihe on FB), not only am I continuing the Mazda DY 2 investigation, I've also been looking long and hard about Cruise Control options. The Cruise options don't look cheap - AusCruise no longer exists, leave AutoStrada which have confirmed they do a Fiesta XR4 Cruise Control solution for $575, and the Command AP900c (a rebaged Liteon unit). I'd like to look into controlling an LS Focus Elctro-Hydrualic Power Steering Pump, and it needs a CAN controller to work to measure the road speed. Which is a similar requirement to Cruise.

I'd like to think I could arduino a small controller for the pump, and it would double as a cruise control ECU, but I suspect the ability to have an effective algorithm for controlling road speed might elude me. Alhtough the eThrottle pedal as just as simple as 2 potentiometers in a box.

As confusing as this brain dump all might be, the real item I wanted to mention today was that I've acquired a Mazda DY 2 Steering column complete, and when it arrives I'll start doing some comparisons and post my findings.

Luke
Old 08-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #57
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'm having some struggles with getting a heater box from the UK - one guy has a EATC equipped car but has strung me along for 3 weeks without even giving me a price. It made me go out and do random searches. I started looking for Fiesta Ghia's for sale in South Africa - and behold I found a few had auto climate control. On a whim I did the same for some being sold in NZ - and same goes there too! WTF, why are we surrounded by countries that have this yet we did not get that option in Australia?

So in a way, thankyou for being difficult UK. And Ford Oz, you are bastards sometimes.

Luke
Old 13-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #58
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The struggle is real. Still hunting for a heater box that does what I want. NZ wreckers don't seem to have any - at least those that bother to respond to emails, which is not many, and I have sent quite a few emails now. Maybe your typical wrecker dude is not the kind to be spending much time online - which grates a little, as they all advertise with an Email address. I see heaps of roadworthy Fiestas for sale with the EATC in them. Maybe the kind of person that buys an EATC Fiesta is the kind that never crashes. And the guy in the UK, Essex Spares, I've pretty much given up on as a time waster.

At the moment, I'm going on a bit of a tangent-journey to see if the front struts on a WS German built fiesta fit. It is easier to find brake upgrade kits for the WS Fiesta mounting. And the knuckle-to-upright lends itself to camber adjustment much better than the WP/WQ system. I also had some fun learning how to remove and replace a WQ windscreen recently.

Lukeyson
Old 10-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #59
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Still in heater box limbo land, but playing out some options at least. One of them should surely land soon. In the meantime I've been diving back into CAN bus sniffing and building up my body of knowledge - hence the starting of a new thread about OBD2 stuff. I have been continuing to try and research the Cruise Control situation and EHPAS. I have an EHPAS pump herenow, so will be setting up a lab shortly to power it up and start hacking away. I'll also be using the same rig to power up the EATC control module and do some review of that.

I found some useful reference material and a Matlab simulation of a cruise control algorithm from a Caltech Wiki page. And a version of Matlab that I can 'use' at home. http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~murray/a...Cruise_control. I'm spending a bit of time getting my head around the math, which isn't too bad by the looks of it and gives me the warm and fuzzies about having done my engineering degree far enough in the past to have forgotten most of it. I can enter values that define the vehicle - tyre size, gear ratios, max torque/rpm rating, weight, aerodynamic drag etc and use feedback from rpm and speed to set a throttle position and tune to a set speed. Coding all that into an Arduino controller would be the next challenge - and whether an Arduino would be quick enough. The same Arduino that might also need to send messages to turn on the Power Steering pump.

For a device that activates a power steering pump, what sounds coolest? Activator, Exciter, Motivator, Stimulator, Animator, Energizer, Arouser, Vivifier.... anything better than one of those? I've seen a company that already has a "CAN Stimulator" that does for EPAS racks what we're proposing to do here with an EHPAS pump.

Lukeyson
Old 10-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #60
Aaron

Undoubtedly you will have seen the Focus Audio Control stalk (or bear paw as it’s called in Renault land) that has integrated Cruise Control buttons. It looks suspiciously like it would mount in place of the Fiesta unit.

As far as Arduino etc powered Cruise control it’s pretty simple logic, apply that fuzzy logic you’re reacquainting yourself with into a simple 8x8 matrix or two and keep other I/O interrupts simplified. ie Brake/Clutch/Cancel is the “same”, That leaves you with “Up speed” and “Down Speed”. “Set” puts your code into its loop of chasing target roadspeed (or rather input sensor frequency). EHPAS only needs a “is engine turning/is roadspeed below 40km/h” as a minimum type of loop, although it depends how much granular Control you have over pump output.

I do worry that your EHPAS idea is going to way overstress the electrical generation capability of the Fiesta with the constant high draw. Shifting anything up to 1kw of “load” from the crank to the alternator at low RPM during low speed manoeuvres is going to be “a thing”.

It may be worth checking the current output of the MPS3/MPS6 alternators (bolt in same location as an XR4) and see if there’s extra amps available there. A spec check between EHPAS Focus Alternator and the XR4 stock unit would be worth it. The MPS alternators are in 2 and 3 wire versions, I think the XR4 is 3 wire, so MPS6 is more likely to be that direct donor.