Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Fiesta ST intermittent vibration - worn upper engine mount?

Afternoon all,

Old man's WZ ST has an intermittent vibration that feels like a rough idle, it's a vibration you can feel through the car where it does it some days and not others.

Mostly when it's warm and has been driven 50+ km.

Ford dealership suspects it's a worn top engine mount ('collapsed' was the terminology they used) which is apparently common on Fiesta, car has 115,000km on it.

They didn't seem too certain though,

Replacement price is $485 fitted, I'm a bit hesitant to have this done as I feel like they're playing partsnostics.

Car can torque steer pretty impressively some days and not others in 4th which is interesting, it sounds consistent with a toasted engine mount in a FWD car but not intermittently?

I've looked at the engine mount but it doesn't look 'collapsed' to me?

Also interestingly they quoted $785 fitted for a new set of front rotors and pads (3mm and 4mm of friction material left on pads)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fiesta ST intermittent vibration - worn upper engine mount?

Engine mount could be the problem. But I’d take it to an independent mechanic for inspection. Ford are hopeless and charge a premium for that hopelessness.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

You can easily check the engine mount yourself. Look under or remove the coolant reservoir. You will see the rubber mount is inside an aluminium housing (exposed though). If the bottom of the rubber has collapsed you will see rub marks on the top surface of the bottom of the metal engine mount. A good mount will not rub. It will be a lot clearer when you see it for yourself and you can see what I mean.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Had the car serviced yesterday by our independent mechanic, had them replace all the engine mounts, if ones toasted the rest won't be far behind, got em all through Ford as I still have an account with them.

In for a service + engine mounts yesterday:

- Plugs
- Oil + filters
- Replaced all engine mounts (incl roll restrictor for gearbox)
- Front rotors and pads (went to RDA slotted and dimpled + EBC Ultimax2 pads)

Still has that stumble at idle but not as evident, doesn't shake the car now.

Parts were cheap, I have an account with a Ford dealership, $615 inc GST for all the filters, spark plugs, 20L of 5W30 full synthetic oil and all the mounts.

Front rotors and pads were $285 incl GST as I've got access to RDA through work

Front pads and rotors lasted 127,000km, not a bad effort.

Not overly sold on the EBC pads, probably a little softer initial bite than OE pad.

Supposedly fuel filter is due for replacement every 60,000km according to the service manual, though you ask Ford for the part and apparently these cars don't have a fuel filter?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-09-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post