Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #61
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Would you buy a discounted Holden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Anyone who does buy a runout holden should take out a comprehensive new for old insurance policy - that would be interesting.
Had that on one of the last Territory models on the road.
Lucky I didn't need to use it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see why not from a purely objective view. The potential lack of support would not worry me really. I don't believe the Insignia is a bad car I think the problem is they marketed it as a Commodore.

I know why they did but it would have always been a fluke to pull it off.

A large percentage of buyers of Commodores want a V8 as evidenced by the sales and for others the Commodore either was not the right kind of car or they had a bad impression of it perceived or based in experience.

But at the same time they really didn't have the option of building up another nameplate either, it had to swim and it sunk as most predicted it would.

The Astra gets drowned out but that seems to be a decent car too so not a bad option to pick up on the cheap.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #63
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as new for old insurance goes, its not an issue.
I had to make a claim a few years ago.
They said I could have any car I liked with the same price, or pay the difference.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #64
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If I was in the market for a new car, then yes.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #65
minheim

If you did buy one and intended to keep it for longer than the new for old, I wonder how insurance companies will determine agreed value against market value and what extra premium it will incur. In terms of new for old, I expect insurers will also somehow factor in the purchase discount price in terms of maximum payout for a write off. Will be interesting to see in a year or two when people who bought in the last two years get renewals and market value/maximum agreed value figures. Surely resale hits will be ugly for some people who bought in 2019 and before.

Last edited by minheim; 22-02-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typos grammer
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #66
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Surely it wouldn't be totally uncommon that equivalent cars aren't available for the insurer to exercise the new for old option. For example the limited run Grid Edition Golf Rs, NRMA supposedly won't replace them with the fully fledged model (which is all that's available now) as they're quite a clip dearer and thus not an equivalent model by their reckoning. So you just get a bag of cash.

Whether insurers might exclude all future new Holden policies from the new for old cover to prevent confusion, who knows.
I purchased on of the last MY17 SSV Redlines and when I called to insure it they actually told me that the New For Old would not apply to it (the Mazda 6 I got rid of for it still had it on the policy) so they seemed to know already. I was going to tell them not to bother with it and give me agreed value but didn't need to. Its been on agreed value ever since...

As for OP's question... If i needed a fuel efficient daily a new Astra with the larger engine (1.6 Turbo) on the cheap would be a hell of a good buy.. Im just not in the market for that at the moment...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #67
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
As far as new for old insurance goes, its not an issue.
I had to make a claim a few years ago.
They said I could have any car I liked with the same price, or pay the difference.
Models being superseded, replaced would happen all the time.
A colleague leased one of the last BF MKII XR8 new in 2008.
Early 2010 he got T Boned by a 4WD and the XR8 was written off.
No FG XR8 at that time leasing company offered him an XR6 turbo as a replacement, leasing guy he was dealing with got him a loan car for a while and he ended up with a 50th Anniversary XR6 Turbo instead of a Standard XR6.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #68
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Manual Astra at a second hand price would get my ears ringing, as I have four learners coming through in the next ten years!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #69
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

Considering the Holden Astra is made by Opel, a company that is not shutting shop anytime soon, then parts won’t be an issue. You may just need to be buying from overseas if there is a lack of local support
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2020, 12:43 AM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr62nv View Post
Considering the Holden Astra is made by Opel, a company that is not shutting shop anytime soon, then parts won’t be an issue. You may just need to be buying from overseas if there is a lack of local support
Opel as a supplier to GM is under no obligation to supply parts to Holden after shutdown,
that is something GM has to do before the Astra plant switches over to PSA production.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2020, 03:37 AM   #71
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Any accessories would have to be going cheap wouldn't they?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2020, 08:25 AM   #72
sixman

Years ago when MG shut up a shop, a neighbour bought a brand new sedan (cant remember model) for one third the previous retail price. Had it for 5 yrs, and was way more car than he ever thought he could afford.
Maybe a bargain to be had out there for the average punter, maybe for a p-plater looking for a safe daily.
Clearly not much for an enthusiast.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #73
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
years ago when mg shut up a shop, a neighbour bought a brand new sedan (cant remember model) for one third the previous retail price. Had it for 5 yrs, and was way more car than he ever thought he could afford.
Maybe a bargain to be had out there for the average punter, maybe for a p-plater looking for a safe daily.
Clearly not much for an enthusiast.
2005!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #74
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna View Post
Daewoo and Daihatsu have a domestic market in right hand drive cars hence the larger stockpile of parts suitable for Australian cars.

A better comparison would be SAAB

https://www.caradvice.com.au/152598/...-gm-ownership/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/152084/...ars-australia/
Daewoo was from South Korea which is a LH drive country, but being LH or RH drive doesn't effect the vast majority of service/replacement parts.

Also parts for Holden sourced from Germany, Sth Korea, or North Americe would still be available for those cars. I think the big issue will be for Commodore parts unique to Australia, where that local supplier may longer exist. I believe that is what is currently happening with many Falcon parts.

I think SAAB was a different issue were most SAABs sold in Aust. weren't done so under GM. When SAAB went under they made it pretty clear (worldwide) that there was to be no warranty or parts back up.

SAAB was effectively bankrupt during the GFC. This is different to Holden's voluntary & controlled wide-up, by its parent.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 24-02-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #75
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I wouldn't, I've never owned one before and I wouldn't have one now regardless of price.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #76
EV1LXR

i just bought a Colorado LSX for a daily as im trying to keep the k's low on the F6

BF F6 Typhoon: Fully opt. Standard except for filter and turbo line
EV1LXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
If you did buy one and intended to keep it for longer than the new for old, I wonder how insurance companies will determine agreed value against market value and what extra premium it will incur. In terms of new for old, I expect insurers will also somehow factor in the purchase discount price in terms of maximum payout for a write off. Will be interesting to see in a year or two when people who bought in the last two years get renewals and market value/maximum agreed value figures. Surely resale hits will be ugly for some people who bought in 2019 and before.
That's an interesting point. Because the resale value is in the toilet, if the insurance company has to pay you out if it is written off, you would get stuff all for it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Was quoted $29,990 DA for brand new 4x4 RG Colorado, single cab with tray and $31,500 DA for one with heavy duty steel tray.

6sp auto, 2.8L diesel.

They're getting smashed, everything is moving real quick.
We've ordered it with steel tray, otherwise would have ended up with Toyota Hilux Workmate in 4x2 with 2.7L unleaded engine was the other vehicle on the agenda.

Colorado is a bit nicer, and I'm sure 500nm of torque will be fun in a tray back Ute

Our deliveries just got faster

Tell you what though the user experience of buying a car sucks, the sales staff dilly dally about and no one knows anything.

I wish you could just buy a car through the build and price section of a car manufacturers website and it just turns up at your driveway.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-02-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I wish you could just buy a car through the build and price section of a car manufacturers website and it just turns up at your driveway.
Don't tesla do online sales? Not that that's helpful for you.

Did you get a good deal?
Old 24-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Don't tesla do online sales? Not that that's helpful for you.

Did you get a good deal?
Yeah, $31K DA for a new RG Colorado 4x4 single cab with heavy duty tray.

It's about $10K off the normal price.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV1LXR View Post
i just bought a Colorado LSX for a daily as im trying to keep the k's low on the F6
Must be a lesson in economics there somewhere!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 12:08 AM   #82
IanC

Just went down to the local Holden dealer to get a price on a base model 4 cylinder Commodore wagon. They didn't have one and looked on the computer. None in Australia! It shows that the dealers saw this coming and must have stopped ordering long ago. They offered me a second hand V6 with low mileage for $35,000. Not interested. There are a few demo 4s on Gumtree with delivery kilometrage so I will keep an eye on them. Right now they are $30,000 and I am not paying that especially as they are 2018 build. The old BA is still going fine so I can wait.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #83
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah- I made some enquiries about a Holden Astra R, with media reporting will be discounted by 50% to $12,000 odd plus driveaway.

Well, dealers said that pricing will be finalised in March, media got it wrong, do not expect driveaway less than $20,000 for base R model.

At that price would rather spend additional $8,000 and get a car with manufacturer still alive in Australia with certainty of full support, and not take the risks.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We can't take delivery of our Colorado until March.

Our invoice quotes 'discount' with circa $12K on it but I'm suspect on the figure because it's probably on RRP rather than market pricing - oldest trick in the book.

They've quoted us 4 days into the first working week of March until we can pick it up, that's a bit slack all you've gotta do is pull the covers off the seats, test everything works and put the orange stuff in the washer bottle.

Yes I'm aware there's other customers but when you've got 10+ mechanics and a tonne of sales staff roll your ****en sleeves up sales team and get your *** in the workshop and do the easy stuff.

Toyota had equally terrible customer service at their dealership across the road, the whole industry is full of useless flogs that couldn't customer service their way out of a wet paper bag.

Bring on Tesla-esque buying experience.

If you come across a good sales person stick to them like **** to a blanket.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #85
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Our invoice quotes 'discount' with circa $12K on it but I'm suspect on the figure because it's probably on RRP rather than market pricing - oldest trick in the book.
Yes- when I drilled the salesperson about the pricing of $20,000 for a base Astra R 2020 when media were reporting $12,000 odd driveaway, she said that the RRP for the 2020 Astra R was some $27,500.00, less $7,500 discount = $20,000.

Another dealer in Sydney quoted when pressed a further massive discount to $19,500.00 for base Astra R.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #86
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yes- when I drilled the salesperson about the pricing of $20,000 for a base Astra R 2020 when media were reporting $12,000 odd driveaway, she said that the RRP for the 2020 Astra R was some $27,500.00, less $7,500 discount = $20,000.

Another dealer in Sydney quoted when pressed a further massive discount to $19,500.00 for base Astra R.....
I wonder if it might be worth trying a country dealer further up the coast, Taree, Port Macq.etc, for some reason country dealers seem cheaper and more helpful.

Would be interesting to compare to say Yass, Walla Walla, Holbrook Holden dealers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
New owner of this motel bought a new Colorado last week, don't know if he got a good deal. I'm not game to ask in case he sticks the rates up.
Follow up, apparently Holden are going to give him some sort of cash back deal.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #88
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Friend bought a new Colorado a few months ago.If I remember it was quite a few grand off the normal price!but he had to sign up on the day and the choice was from 2-4 floor stock.I think the choices were either red or white.Auto or auto.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So it looks like the discounts are probably what you would have got a month ago. Holden have been slashing the guts out of the RRP just to shift cars for ages now.

There's a sucker born every minute though. Just lol at anyone thinking they are a getting a better deal now that Holden is shutting up shop vs what they were discounting to over the past 18 months.

Good marketing tool though
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #90
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cars guide is full of demo zb calais (2018 build but 19 compliance) for 30 or less d/a. sedan and wagons
if i was in the market, i would be tempted...
they were stickered over 50 on release
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post