Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #571
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

In Sydney working. Was given a penthouse suite. For $135 a night. Wall to ceiling windows with huge open screen sliding doors off balcony. Top 40th floor.

In Sydney CBD overlooking Botany Bay, Sydney airport and blue mountains.

Arrived Sunday night- very few jets. Now I see a jet fly in every 40 minutes odd - so strange.

City today is deserted. Feels weird that I am here working away - my matter will probably run all this week. That drink of red wine on balcony on Friday - only problem I will feel like Will Smith in I am Legend

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 25-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #572
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljf12 View Post
Is there a possibility that our government has decided to head down the herd immunity path ?
Well they did basically state it was one of the reasons behind keeping schools open. There are two issues with it...

1. If this is indeed the first stage of a herd immunity strategy, there should have been a concomitant program to isolate the at-risk population? And yet, we got crickets on that front. It's like saying we wont allow people to drive to the MCG for the AFL grand final, but making no preparations for public transport to provide the alternative.

2. It's not really feasible. We need 60-70% of the population for herd immunity to be effective. If we keep the 2k ICU cases there for say, 3 weeks, that's 20+ years of hospitalisation.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #573
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

NSW Education board says Schools should cease regular teaching streams immediately and move to an emergency program for those who need their children cared for to keep working...where have I heard that before.

I understand Scomo is getting his 'advice' from the CMO, but the CMO isn't running the Education dept, how about we listen to those people who we pay thousands of dollars to every year to manage schools, is their 'advice' not equally important and valued.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #574
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I understand Scomo is getting his 'advice' from the CMO, but the CMO isn't running the Education dept
The CMO is a political appointment, no more than a puppet to give legitimacy to the government's policies. Actual experts in the G08 institutions have pretty much contradicted the government's approach, calling for immediate school/university closure.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #575
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I pinched this off FB

SCOMO I may stand alone. But, I applaud you. I commend you. I respect you.

& I hope that even if you see one positive post - it will give you the confidence & motivation to keep going. ��
You just stood in front of the Nation, visibly tired & exhausted. You are trying your best, there is no handbook & yet you are expected to have all the answers. In some cases, you're only the messenger.

Everyone is talking as if you're the one to blame for this, that you created this, that you aren't doing enough or that you're doing too much.

People demanding a full lockdown yet rage & blame you for shutting down businesses & manoeuvring towards a lockdown.

People forcing you to shut borders but uproar that you're not allowing people to come home.

People crying that you aren't acting fast enough, yet you aren't giving people enough notice to act.

People blaming you for businesses & services not acting fast enough as if you're the one sitting behind the service desk.

& don't forget it's your fault the Internet & websites aren't working.

People, grown-up adults, asking you to tell them what to do & then ignoring your advice.

Essential employees need you to keep schools open so they can continue to work to help their communities & avoid joining the long line of Centrelink vulnerables, yet everyone else is demanding you to close schools. The advice is schools are open to help the people you depend on! Doctors, nurses, cashiers etc. If you don't want to send your kids, DONT.

People in the comfort of their armchairs, abusing you for not enforcing systems to keep them safe yet complain when you do enforce them.

You have received backlash from every direction, every angle, in every form - from strangers who have never even seen you in person. They have no consideration for your own personal struggles or understanding of how much work you're doing behind the scenes.

I see it, it's all over social media. It's on my own personal newsfeed. Yet some of these people, have never worked a day in their life, some of these people have just had their allowances doubled yet still demand more, some of the people disregard any form of regulations, some of these people want you to do all the work for them.

Yet, despite all of that, here you are - You are fronting every single ****ing day. You don't get holidays or a home time. You have been working night & day to implement systems to help people. Your people.

You are granting millions of dollars of assistance to people to help them in this crisis. Rent relief, allowances, business grants, pushing for mortgage pauses! You are implementing systems under other peoples advice. You are remaining calm, even though you may be shaking on the inside.

Droughts, Floods, Bush fires & now Covid - 19. Most Prime Ministers haven't dealt with half of it.

I know it's hard, but keep going. Those who would never want to stand in your shoes, appreciate you. ��

From Me, An independent Fifo Wife & protective Mother.

Who waved her husband goodbye on Sunday, not knowing when I'll see him next. He won't travel or risk transmission. He'll stay there to work for us, so we have a roof over our head & to avoid falling into a pit where thousands of people need help.

We know while we are able, we will continue pushing on & fighting, so other people who need help, get it.

Stay safe everyone & remember this too will pass ��

Top post mate. Thanks for putting that up
The way I look at it is I’m sure there have been many areas that we would do things differently with hindsight , there’s going to be plenty of time to review all that later. It’s easy for all of us to armchair review all this mess sitting in the cheap seats...much harder to make the calls in the hot seat. The fact is we are here, we all move forward from this point and work with what we have. Stay well up there Ok?
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #576
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I pinched this off FB

& I hope that even if you see one positive post - it will give you the confidence & motivation to keep going. 🍂
You just stood in front of the Nation, visibly tired & exhausted. You are trying your best, there is no handbook & yet you are expected to have all the answers. In some cases, you're only the messenger.

Everyone is talking as if you're the one to blame for this, that you created this, that you aren't doing enough or that you're doing too much.

People demanding a full lockdown yet rage & blame you for shutting down businesses & manoeuvring towards a lockdown.

People forcing you to shut borders but uproar that you're not allowing people to come home.

People crying that you aren't acting fast enough, yet you aren't giving people enough notice to act.

People blaming you for businesses & services not acting fast enough as if you're the one sitting behind the service desk.

People, grown-up adults, asking you to tell them what to do & then ignoring your advice.

Essential employees need you to keep schools open so they can continue to work to help their communities & avoid joining the long line of Centrelink vulnerables, yet everyone else is demanding you to close schools. The advice is schools are open to help the people you depend on! Doctors, nurses, cashiers etc. If you don't want to send your kids, DONT.

People in the comfort of their armchairs, abusing you for not enforcing systems to keep them safe yet complain when you do enforce them.

You have received backlash from every direction, every angle, in every form - from strangers who have never even seen you in person. They have no consideration for your own personal struggles or understanding of how much work you're doing behind the scenes.

I see it, it's all over social media. It's on my own personal newsfeed. Yet some of these people, have never worked a day in their life, some of these people have just had their allowances doubled yet still demand more, some of the people disregard any form of regulations, some of these people want you to do all the work for them.

Yet, despite all of that, here you are - You are fronting every single ****ing day. You don't get holidays or a home time. You have been working night & day to implement systems to help people. Your people.

You are granting millions of dollars of assistance to people to help them in this crisis. Rent relief, allowances, business grants, pushing for mortgage pauses! You are implementing systems under other peoples advice. You are remaining calm, even though you may be shaking on the inside.

Droughts, Floods, Bush fires & now Covid - 19. Most Prime Ministers haven't dealt with half of it.

I know it's hard, but keep going. Those who would never want to stand in your shoes, appreciate you. 🍀

Who waved her husband goodbye on Sunday, not knowing when I'll see him next. He won't travel or risk transmission. He'll stay there to work for us, so we have a roof over our head & to avoid falling into a pit where thousands of people need help.

We know while we are able, we will continue pushing on & fighting, so other people who need help, get it.

Stay safe everyone & remember this too will pass 🌻
This message or post should be placed at the top of every page in this thread from now on so that people can read... and re-read and then read it again, till it finally sinks in to their small minded self absorb'd head and realise the people at the helm are doing their job at hand in such a crisis.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #577
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
This message or post should be placed at the top of every page in this thread from now on so that people can read... and re-read and then read it again, till it finally sinks in to their small minded self absorb'd head and realise the people at the helm are doing their job at hand in such a crisis.
Yeah right, an independent FIFO workers wife who probably sits at home on her couch playing with her toddlers while ordering her essentials online for home delivery using Hubby's credit card.

Give me a break.

Easy to sit back and talk **** when your not standing in the centerlink lines or listening to families and educators at their coal face.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #578
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The CMO is a political appointment, no more than a puppet to give legitimacy to the government's policies. Actual experts in the G08 institutions have pretty much contradicted the government's approach, calling for immediate school/university closure.
Where is the evidence that supports closing schools?

Simply saying children are 'super spreaders' just doesn't cut it. Statistically while children are capable of contracting the virus, they are the least at risk. They are also the lowest group to actually be infected so the risk of them spreading is also small. Teachers should be adult enough to be able to practice basic hygiene to protect themselves.

If parents wish to keep their kids home then that's ok but keeping schools open means education continues for the children and those parents who work in critical services can continue going to work.

Some people need to stop and start looking outside their own bubble.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #579
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yeah right, an independent FIFO workers wife who probably sits at home on her couch playing with her toddlers while ordering her essentials online for home delivery using Hubby's credit card.

Give me a break.
So the message is wrong?
Old 25-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #580
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
So the message is wrong?
It might be the correct message for her and those who share her views, but it certainly isn't the view of everyone and so it isn't right for them.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #581
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Give me a break.

Easy to sit back and talk **** when your not standing in the centerlink lines or listening to families and educators at their coal face.
THAT would have to be one of your stupidest and wildest statements on AFF, pure guesswork .
Old 25-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #582
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Simply saying children are 'super spreaders' just doesn't cut it. Statistically while children are capable of contracting the virus, they are the least at risk. They are also the lowest group to actually be infected so the risk of them spreading is also small. Teachers should be adult enough to be able to practice basic hygiene to protect themselves.

If parents wish to keep their kids home then that's ok but keeping schools open means education continues for the children and those parents who work in critical services can continue going to work.

You're missing the point Rob, no one said keeping kids home would prevent them dying from COVID, the point is, keeping them home will stop them from spreading it amongst themselves and then taking it home at the end of the day.
I listened to a teacher on the radio this morning, she's home in isolation currently and expected back at work next week, she doesn't feel comfortable doing so and has her own kids home, a teacher, someone at that coalface, who wont put her kids in it and doesn't want to be there herself.
Then we had a day care worker who said and I quote ' everyone knows kids are spreaders, its impossible to stop the spread amongst them or maintain hygiene' and then said her centre was down to its last half bottle of hand steriliser.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #583
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
THAT would have to be one of your stupidest and wildest statements on AFF, pure guesswork .
Why, because I've got the guts to say what plenty of others we're thinking.

Plenty of professionals saying Scomo is out of touch and out of depth but apparently some woman who thinks he's doing a wonderful job is the standard.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #584
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
The issue is that we know what the experts say, and it contradicts the government's approach. They're taking us for fools when they say they are consulting with experts when it's clear they're not.

I'm on a FB group with people modelling the disease progression, most of whom work in healthcare, and there isn't one person that thinks the government is doing a good job. Many are scared of whats coming in the next 2-3 weeks and disappointed because it was largely avoidable.
You are on facebook,so the opinions expressed there will be far and above the advice given by professenly advised govt officials
Old 25-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #585
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Literally all the epidemiology from 100 years of research since the Spanish flu. It's not even up for debate.

Quote:
Simply saying children are 'super spreaders' just doesn't cut it. Statistically while children are capable of contracting the virus, they are the least at risk.
Their risk is irrelevant. It's FUD to even bring that up. They are mild/asymptomatic carriers. The most recent research out of china says they continue to shed the virus long after any symptoms have passed. It also says the asymptomatic carriers are the ones that play the greatest role in community transmission.

Quote:
I have a PhD in a health science... my bubble is probably a lot better informed than yours.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #586
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NSW Education board says Schools should cease regular teaching streams immediately and move to an emergency program for those who need their children cared for to keep working...where have I heard that before.

I understand Scomo is getting his 'advice' from the CMO, but the CMO isn't running the Education dept, how about we listen to those people who we pay thousands of dollars to every year to manage schools, is their 'advice' not equally important and valued.
Agreed. The country is being run at the direction of the CMO and the sycophants, hypochondriacs, bed wetters and other government agencies who have no accountability to the public.

I want each and everyone of these public servants to be accountable for their destruction of the Australian economy. The advice been given should have come from economists. Quarantine the infirm, sick, elderly and anyone with a susceptibility to complications from Covid-19. The remaining population can go about their daily business, in commerce, trade, service delivery and keep the economy ticking over.

This is being handled in a cluster eff of a manner.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #587
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why, because I've got the guts to say what plenty of others we're thinking.

Plenty of professionals saying Scomo is out of touch and out of depth but apparently some woman who thinks he's doing a wonderful job is the standard.
No. Because you're making assumptions on someone you know nothing about and you like contradicting anyone else's views.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #588
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a PhD in a health science... my bubble is probably a lot better informed than yours.
Excellent. You'd be the right person to ask what the doses of Vitamin A and D should be to stave off the virus, and the amount of IV Vit C to administer to a patient with Covid-19. Unit, mg or grams per day would be great.

The floor is yours........
Old 25-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #589
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You are on facebook,so the opinions expressed there will be far and above the advice given by professenly advised govt officials
The people on that group are researchers and professionals in healthcare. Its not a mothers club.

I have my own model, and its been correct to within 10-20 cases for the last 2 weeks. We are on track to exceed ICU capacity in around 2 weeks, 3 if this weeks measures have any significant impact.

Advise your at-risk loved ones to isolate.. totally isolate. Make a plan to get them food etc. If they fall ill much later than a month from now, their prospects for receiving adequate care will be greatly diminished.
7 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #590
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im a simple bus driver and I've got 2.5 days left until im handing over the reigns to someone else so I can stay home with my children and reduce our exposure to the virus and hopefully allow my Wife to continue to serve our elderly to the best of her ability for as long as possible, a joint decision between all of us.
Yesterday I found myself being questioned by many parents about what they should do with their children, many of whom speak broken English and some non at all. If these parents are turning to the guy who drives the bus that picks up and drops off their kids to help them make decisions it says something about the message that's coming from the top.
7 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #591
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The people on that group are researchers and professionals in healthcare. Its not a mothers club.

I have my own model, and its been correct to within 10-20 cases for the last 2 weeks. We are on track to exceed ICU capacity in around 2 weeks, 3 if this weeks measures have any significant impact.

Advise your at-risk loved ones to isolate.. totally isolate. Make a plan to get them food etc. If they fall ill much later than a month from now, their prospects for receiving adequate care will be greatly diminished.
And this I completely agree. The government should have enforced this 6 weeks ago.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #592
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I guess you have not seen that children are getting infected here in australia? as for teachers being adult enough? wow buddy, these adult teachers are working in classrooms with no supplied safety equipment, no masks, no sanitizer no paper towelling, no room to space children at the required distances and the list goes on.

I agree some people need to start looking outside thier bubble, says the man in the mirror.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #593
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im a simple bus driver and I've got 2.5 days left until im handing over the reigns to someone else so I can stay home with my children and reduce our exposure to the virus and hopefully allow my Wife to continue to serve our elderly to the best of her ability for as long as possible, a joint decision between all of us.
Stay strong buddy and wishing you and your family well in these difficult times.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #594
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
No. Because you're making assumptions on someone you know nothing about and you like contradicting anyone else's views.
So when she says 'Everyone' is talking as if you're the one to blame for this, that is not an assumption about people she doesn't know?

Im not blaming him for it, im sure there are plenty of people talking about it that aren't blaming him.

I respect her right to an opinion, that's all it is.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #595
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot
Plane with 5 passengers on board, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Angela Merkel, The Pope and a ten year old school boy. The plane is about to crash and there are only 4 parachutes.
Trump said I need one. I’m the smartest man in the USA and am needed to sort out the problems of the World!’, takes one and jumps.
Boris said ‘I’m needed to sort out Britain’. He takes one and jumps.
The Pope said ‘I need one as the world needs the Catholic Church.’ He takes one and jumps.
Angela said to the ten year old: "You can have the last parachute. I've lived my life, yours is only just starting."
The 10 year old replied: "Don’t worry, there are 2 parachutes left, the smartest man in the USA took my school bag."

Wouldn't the pope want to be left alone with the 10 year old boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
I pinched this off FB

& I hope that even if you see one positive post - it will give you the confidence & motivation to keep going. ��

I know it's hard, but keep going. Those who would never want to stand in your shoes, appreciate you. ��

Stay safe everyone & remember this too will pass ��
So he's doing the job he was elected to do? And he's getting praised for doing that job he was elected to do?

If he doesn't want critisism, he shouldn't be PM. It comes with the job.

I'm no fan of scomo but he's doing what needs to be done. It's his job.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #596
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I don’t pay rent,but,don’t renters get rent assistance on top of the centrelink payment?
Rent was included. $200/wk. =? $150/wk left.

I don't mean to insult you, but those in glass houses shouldn't throw anything.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #597
ljf12

They keep quoting the number of ICU beds/ventilators that we have in the health system, never any mention of how many are actually available . My wife used to work in a private hospital that had ICU beds, she said it was not uncommon for all of them (around ten) to be in use.

She now works for the largest private healthcare provider in the state, because they are mainly involved with elective surgery they are pretty much shutting down, plenty of staff told to take leave etc.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #598
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hard times coming for most Australian's no matter the circumstances. Can see a lot of hate, anger and confusion in this thread.

Just remember we are all in this together. Also remember that you can make your own informed decisions, you don't need the government to make them for you, if you want to stay at home and have a plan then do it, you are not sheep.

Educate your family and friends on why you are doing what you are doing. For example, my elderly mum reckoned she was going to bingo yesterday in her country town because her doctor said COVID19 is nothing to worry about. Yeh nah mum, you are staying home.

All the best everyone.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #599
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just watched his speech, from a outsider looking in it did not inspire much confidence, all i could make out was he's forming commissions from the old boys network, that all takes time which you don't have. They have no plan, just sounds like they are clutching at straws. He needs to take leadership of this and make some hard decisions. If the lemons running NZ can figure it out, with how they handled this crisis in under a week and a half, your mob should be able to, we have every one on board from banks, tax, employers, you name it every one has come to the party, plus no major job loss, your employer can access funds from Govt. As of to night NZ is shut for the next month.

Last edited by five 7; 25-03-2020 at 02:53 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #600
DaveD

Looking for things to do in NZ for the next month?
https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/New%20Zealand
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread