Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #841
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Bugger, first it was Eurovision and now The Logies have also been cancelled.
Wrong thread, should be in the 'What made you feel good today?' thread
Old 29-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #842
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I think this is the history of humanity since Adam and Eve. I would still rather live in this current period of history than many past eras. I would however love to go back to the 70s.

Does anybody have a time machine I can borrow? I promise I'll bring it back...

Maybe...
Fill the tank to the time machine before you leave, refinery workers in the 70’s were often on strike! Throw me the keys to the time machine when you get back.. I agree mate, every era has had its good and bad, I’m happy to be still on the face of the earth after some s... I’ve done let alone any specific era!
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #843
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
The same as price is above everything else in normal day to day life... we as consumers are as much to blame... what can I get, and how cheap can I get it.....

Everyone wants the latest iPhone/ gadget as cheap as possible, but who here wants to work like a chinese labourer?

Yes business is at fault, but so are consumers..
Try selling Australian made stuff to Australians and watch em whinge, the ones I love are the guys with project cars worth 6 figures, talk to you about the $25K driveline, then whinge about $165 for a bespoke, one off item manufactured for them made in Melbourne within 2 days.
Old 29-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #844
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Try selling Australian made stuff to Australians and watch em whinge, the ones I love are the guys with project cars worth 6 figures, talk to you about the $25K driveline, then whinge about $165 for a bespoke, one off item manufactured for them made in Melbourne within 2 days.
I hear you, I have mates in the mechanical and panel trades and hear the same thing constantly.
Just so I know mate, what type of products do you do? I’m happy to use quality stuff any day of the week.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #845
superyob
Banned

I am reading a fair bit of info that suggests wearing a mask is not needed for healthy people...
Old 29-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #846
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
I hear you, I have mates in the mechanical and panel trades and hear the same thing constantly.
Just so I know mate, what type of products do you do? I’m happy to use quality stuff any day of the week.
Automotive and industrial control cables

You want a custom length speedo cable? Maybe you've got a TH400 conversion and you need to go from TH400 to the instrument cluster in your car.

Maybe you've got an AU diff in your XY and you need brake cables made to go from the equalizer bracket under the car to the AU calipers - we can do it.

We can replicate stuff on trucks, tractors etc as well.

Or things like hydraulic valve control cables on old school hydraulic systems, custom lengths available up to 30 metres.

Made in Melbourne 💪
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #847
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I am reading a fair bit of info that suggests wearing a mask is not needed for healthy people...
I work in the CBD a few days a week with high contact to lots of people. I wear a mask only to stop all the 'why aren't you wearing a mask!' statements.

I hate the bloody thing, I wear glasses so each time I breathe out the gaps each side of my nose perfectly vent steam to under my glasses causing a constant foggy view...

Wonderful.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #848
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Automotive and industrial control cables

You want a custom length speedo cable? Maybe you've got a TH400 conversion and you need to go from TH400 to the instrument cluster in your car.

Maybe you've got an AU diff in your XY and you need brake cables made to go from the equalizer bracket under the car to the AU calipers - we can do it.

We can replicate stuff on trucks, tractors etc as well.

Or things like hydraulic valve control cables on old school hydraulic systems, custom lengths available up to 30 metres.

Made in Melbourne 💪
Bugger, I just got my custom handbrake cables done by Marine Control Systems. I got a shifter cable done by them also. It seems good but I might fire it down and see what you think, I’ll get a second made up use the best and have a spare. Pro Ratchet with a treaded end at the trans end to use a spherical rod end.
Old 29-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #849
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The problem is that you don't know if you're healthy, you could get a clear test today and have the virus tomorrow.
If we had enough masks everyone should wear one.
Old 29-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #850
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’ve heard the same, I consider a mask as a reminder not to rub your face which can be a source of transmission. A large proportion of carriers are the 20/30 age group, plenty wandering about not giving a toss so it can only help protect you, as well as the usual precautions of course. It also helps get people out of the way because they aren’t sure if you have it or not!

There’s also a difference of opinion as to when it’s actually contagious. Some say you must exhibit symptoms some say not. Another I heard was 24 hours prior to symptoms. Some say some people exhibit virtually no symptoms... all too hard and contradictory so I’ve been wearing it when at the shops etc

Last edited by XByoot; 29-03-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 29-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #851
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
There’s also a difference of opinion as to when it’s actually contagious. Some say you must exhibit symptoms some say not. Another I heard was 24 hours prior to symptoms. Some say some people exhibit virtually no symptoms... all too hard and contradictory so I’ve been wearing it when at the shops etc
its not opinion as to whether it is contagious. That is fact. otherwise the world wouldn't be having this situation.

Both asymptomatic and symptomatic people are contagious. Those who are symptomatic are contagious at least a week before symptoms present themselves. Those who are asymptomatic are also just as contagious, just there are no symptoms to warn themselves or others.

If you cough or sneeze with a poorly fitting mask then you may as well not even be wearing one.

Just practicing basic hygiene methods is best. cough/sneeze in to your elbow. Keep washing hands properly with soap and minimise the amount you touch your eyes/nose/mouth. Only go out if you have to and stay off social media (for mental health).
Old 29-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #852
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
its not opinion as to whether it is contagious. That is fact. otherwise the world wouldn't be having this situation.

Both asymptomatic and symptomatic people are contagious. Those who are symptomatic are contagious at least a week before symptoms present themselves. Those who are asymptomatic are also just as contagious, just there are no symptoms to warn themselves or others.

If you cough or sneeze with a poorly fitting mask then you may as well not even be wearing one.

Just practicing basic hygiene methods is best. cough/sneeze in to your elbow. Keep washing hands properly with soap and minimise the amount you touch your eyes/nose/mouth. Only go out if you have to and stay off social media (for mental health).
Yeah I got the conflicting information from a webinar featuring a doctor from my GFs employer ( he is the chief medical officer of a major employer who is severely impacted) . He stated it’s not contagious if not symptomatic which I have doubts for reasons you suggest. Personally Im happy for him to test the theory and tell us how it works out for him. Also what is symptomatic? It’s known that many people who are positive for corona show virtually no symptoms ..they are obviously contagious.
Personally a mask may not be fool proof but it’s better than none. I’m talking a properly fitting unit when out. Yes good hygiene is paramount but even if it reminds a person to avoid touching your face it’s a winner in my book

Last edited by XByoot; 29-03-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 29-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #853
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 29-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #854
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Traffic feed for NZ.... kinda spooky.

Scroll with the map and click on the camera symbols.

https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/cameras/722
Old 29-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #855
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Don’t know how any virus can target a health person wearing a mask V’s a health person not wearing a mask, but in itself a mask provides limited protection as C19 is such a small microscopic thing which an N95 mask can not filter. These masks are designed to capture saliva and snot etc. Also the “dirtier” the mask becomes the more particulates is would be able to filter (up to a point).
Old 29-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #856
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

After the shopping centres, it seems like the "virus" has made it's way into the hospitals. Hand sanitizer bottles, wall mounted sanitizer units, toilet paper, masks, other PPE are all being stolen, ripped off walls, by these revolting bacteria. Putting the hospitals medical staff at risk.

Forget the Covid-19 virus. We need to eradicate these types of bacteria first!!

https://www.standard.net.au/story/67...-tas-hospital/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-hospital.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...anitizer-masks
Old 29-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #857
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I hear you too, Franco.

2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #858
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Traffic feed for NZ.... kinda spooky.

Scroll with the map and click on the camera symbols.

https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/cameras/722
Yep it's a ghost town here, spooky is a perfect description.
Old 29-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #859
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
If you believe that you are very naive.

This has highlighted just how selfish society is, whether it be by panic buying or thinking the rules don't apply to them.

When this is over society could actually be worse. There may be a small difference initially but within weeks things will be no different to before.
Yeah, i didn't say all people Rob, I said people, its up to the individual how they come out the other side.
I've already noticed quite a difference to the way we go about our day to day lives, when this has settled down I've no doubt that i'll cherish the opportunity to catch up with friends, go on holiday, get back to work if its still there or just go for a walk down the beach on a Friday evening and sit in a café and have a meal and a coffee.
A week ago you we're making 'chicken little' comments and now you're suggesting society might be worse off, remind me again, who's sky is falling..?
Old 29-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #860
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Yeah, i didn't say all people Rob, I said people, its up to the individual how they come out the other side.
I've already noticed quite a difference to the way we go about our day to day lives, when this has settled down I've no doubt that i'll cherish the opportunity to catch up with friends, go on holiday, get back to work if its still there or just go for a walk down the beach on a Friday evening and sit in a café and have a meal and a coffee.
A week ago you we're making 'chicken little' comments and now you're suggesting society might be worse off, remind me again, who's sky is falling..?
Am I sensing trouble in the "Bromance ? "
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #861
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Steak and chips at the pub and a couple of pints of craft porter would be nice that's for sure.
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #862
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Could you please list say 6 of these ideas you claim were scoffed at and yet later adopted including who put them forward?
I think we can now safely add wage subsidies to that list of 6 things you wanted to see listed as idea's put forward, scoffed at and now being implemented.

Unions and employers asked Scomo 2 weeks ago to implement a wage subsidy system to keep people in their jobs and reduce the unnecessary layoffs. Scomo said it would be too hard to implement as it would require a new process and would be better to just give people laid off a bonus payment through the existing Centrelink system of which has since crashed and wont be able to help peole for another 4 weeks.
Fast forward 2 weeks and he's now decided that 'hibernation' a fancy term for keeping people on employers books and paying them a subsidy whilst they cant work, is a great idea.

Shadow Industrial Relations Minister Tony Burke said the package needed to be finalised immediately.

"We need the wage subsidy implemented, and we need it implemented urgently. Two weeks ago, when we were arguing this, unions have been arguing it, business has been arguing it, Scott Morrison, as Prime Minister, ridiculed the idea and described it as unworkable. Now, we are pleased that he's come to the table and says that the Government is now working on implementing it."

No, no back flipping to be seen..
Old 29-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #863
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Am I sensing trouble in the "Bromance ? "
Not at all, Robs a great bloke from what I've experienced and the discussions we've had.
The problem is that sometimes we read something and in our haste to respond we miss the point being put forward.
I never suggested that everyone would be better for it, but if some are, surely that's got to be worth something and make for a better existence.
Theres plenty of bad news stories around at the moment, sharing one's positive experiences during this time shouldn't be shot down.

As someone who is a self described pessimist, having hope that people around me may be better for the experience isn't what i'd call naïve, more like a optimistic view in a sea of negativity.

Last edited by BENT_8; 29-03-2020 at 04:26 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #864
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

So this morning the PM was on the picture box warning the young not to go about as usual as "you can be carriers of the virus."

I remember the PM also saying the young are safe to go to school because the "schools are safe to stay open."

Confused??
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #865
hayseed

Scotty From marketing, is a; far quit.

I might add, I've never voted Labour in my Life..
Old 29-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #866
MercuryT
Banned

I was censored by a mod before (post deleted as "Political") but i maintain it.

ScoMo is a deadset moron with no ability to run our great country.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #867
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Scomo's just the figurehead - it's what the advisors and his party are doing is the ones you should be holding accountable.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #868
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Scomo's just the figurehead - it's what the advisors and his party are doing is the ones you should be holding accountable.
No doubt mate. I work in State Gov't and i give advice to our Minister of Land (Guy Barnett) who just repeats our advice.

However it still doesn't change the fact he is completely inept in front of the camera. I find him embarassing for the country.

Has no presence as a leader whatsoever.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #869
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Steak and chips at the pub and a couple of pints of craft porter would be nice that's for sure.
This whole thing is akin to watching a movie in a cinema that started out as a blockbuster, with intrigue, some fear, and a plot that thickened...
But now it's becoming a long drawn out and boring script, we all wish would end.

Oh, for the projector to stop rolling, the curtains to draw and the cinema lights to come back on.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #870
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 users like this post:
Closed Thread