Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Vfacts March 2020

Hopefully Honda goes first
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Hopefully Honda goes first
No : all the Chinese cars must go first. Great Wall, MG, LDV, Haval etc.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

all brands will have a fire sale every month just to stay relevant..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #34
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
No : all the Chinese cars must go first. Great Wall, MG, LDV, Haval etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if they're The survivors out of The next couple of years..

The Chinese are experts at playing the Long game..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Jeep just signed its dealers to a 10 year franchise agreement.
Poor bastards. The writing should be on the wall for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Poor bastards. The writing should be on the wall for them.

258 cars for the month must be concerning for them...

Bad publicity and car sales don't mix well together it seems.

Wonder how Ashton Wood from Destroy my Jeep is going

Bet they wish they gave him a new car all those years ago for free, maybe even 2!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
258 cars for the month must be concerning for them...

Bad publicity and car sales don't mix well together it seems.

Wonder how Ashton Wood from Destroy my Jeep is going

Bet they wish they gave him a new car all those years ago for free, maybe even 2!
It's funny. Focus sells 200 odd cars a month, and people say Ford should drop it cause it's not selling. Imagine selling that same amount across a whole range of vehicles.

And so people are aware, Ford are happy selling 200 odd Focus a month cause they are profitable. Not sure Jeep would be in the same boat. You'd have to imagine they are doing pretty heavy discounting just trying to get cars out the door. Worked well for Holden
Old 06-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
It's funny. Focus sells 200 odd cars a month, and people say Ford should drop it cause it's not selling. Imagine selling that same amount across a whole range of vehicles.

And so people are aware, Ford are happy selling 200 odd Focus a month cause they are profitable. Not sure Jeep would be in the same boat. You'd have to imagine they are doing pretty heavy discounting just trying to get cars out the door. Worked well for Holden

Sad reality is Focus should be doing more because its such a good car but that end of the market is 100% price driven and not much else.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #39
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:

On the contrary, the tooling/R&D costs involved in the current Grand Cherokee would have to be fairly well taken care of by now - the car is probably a profit machine. Not that they're selling huge volumes, sure.

I think any business can turn around if the weak points are addressed and dealt with in a good manner and at this stage I have the feeling Jeep will come through this.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t know why everyone focuses on Jeep so much. They are pretty much right in the middle of the sales chart. Sure no where near what they were selling in 2014, but before 2011 they were a small brand anyway.
They’re increasing sales worldwide, yet here they are struggling due to the reputation.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #41
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
They’re increasing sales worldwide, yet here they are struggling due to the reputation.
A perceived reputation that is pushed by misinformed fools who have never owned one. Just look at the comments on this forum from non owners.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:10 AM   #42
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
A perceived reputation that is pushed by misinformed fools who have never owned one. Just look at the comments on this forum from non owners.
Their reputation, perceived or actual is one thing, however their handling of issues with owners was shocking and openly admitted by current management while the diabolical spare parts wait times and stupid pricing was also an irrefutable fact.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
I've fixed plenty of Jeeps, don't need to own one to know they're turds rolled in glitter

With extortion pricing on spares and poor parts availability. As soon as you had someone enquire about fixing one of those turds you knew you were in for an uphill battle over pricing.

A telling sign was when the WK2 Grand Cherokee was released in Australia, they were all over the roads in Melbourne and now you hardly see any of them, it's very telling.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #44
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Although it was a slow month, it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it was going to be. The first set of graphical stats is now up in the Tech Portal.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #45
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Although it was a slow month, it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it was going to be. The first set of graphical stats is now up in the Tech Portal.

Cheers
Russ
Think about the post you'll be writing next month around, I reckon...

Toyota and some other brands might be alright due to filling back ordered vehicles - Rav4 for instance has such a wait time that the vehicles are still going to be coming in for delivery.

Other brands won't be the same, I suspect.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

US and UK sales are down something like 40%. I'd imagine April will be about the same here.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #47
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don’t know why everyone focuses on Jeep so much. They are pretty much right in the middle of the sales chart. Sure no where near what they were selling in 2014, but before 2011 they were a small brand anyway.
To be fair, apart from the new Wrangler that was launched at the start of the year, their line up is ancient.
The outgoing Wrangler was 12 years old. Cherokee and GC 8 years old.
Wrangler is said to have hybrid powertrain later this year, along with a new GC and Gladiator.
I'm hoping they keep going as I would like a Gladiator when funds allow in a couple of years.

If the financial fallout from current events don't see some brands exiting the market, could we see a change in the way dealerships do business in an attempt to reduce costs...
Most are sitting on prime realestate to house dozens or hundreds of cars that will likely be reduced to clear. Parts departments have taken a hit from OEM quality alternatives, online overseas purchasing and parallel imports of OEM parts at a much cheaper price.
Online listings, credit checks, applications, approvals and sales reduce the need for desk space and personnel in building/showrooms.
Add to the fact the market is diluted with so many segments, brands & models with strong incentives to buy, discounting, warranty etc. No doubt something under review when the margin on some small vehicles is $300 and sales dry up.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Supplementary statistics for Quarter 1 are also now uploaded.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've fixed plenty of Jeeps, don't need to own one to know they're turds rolled in glitter

With extortion pricing on spares and poor parts availability. As soon as you had someone enquire about fixing one of those turds you knew you were in for an uphill battle over pricing.

A telling sign was when the WK2 Grand Cherokee was released in Australia, they were all over the roads in Melbourne and now you hardly see any of them, it's very telling.
They are still everywhere here. Mostly the updated ones from 2014.

Victoria is different when it comes to the car landscape. I noticed you have a lot more Australian cars on the road down there. The patriotism starts to fade away before it gets this far.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So how does one purchase a car if you can't go out beyond essentials, don't trust to talk face to face, don't trust sitting on the seat for fear of that invisible AIDS, and then if you do go and buy a car online you won't have test driven it, and then you might want to fumigate it/leave it for 17+ days before you enjoy it?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #51
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The 1st Quarter Segment Analysis is now completed.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #52
Trendseeker

Quote:
US and UK sales are down something like 40%. I'd imagine April will be about the same here.
This forecast suggests sales in April could fall by 80% in Europe and by 60% in the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin.../#19e16a1746fb
Old 15-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #53
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Quote:
Reminds me of a local rug store that is known for having more closing down sales than Elvis had hits

A couple of times a year, without fail. I reckon i've seen at least 10-15 closing down sales at the place over the last decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5psRMoXm2g
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #54
Eurotrash

I can honestly see the car market being in a slump for at least the next 12 months in Australia. Regardless of when restrictions are slowly lifted, it's not like there will be a lot of people that will be going out to buy a new car. You need a job, stable employment and a financial system willing to lend people money in a dull economy. Will probably take 2 years to see the Australian new car market back up to the levels of a million plus market.

April is going to be a shocker and it'll be very interesting to see the figures from all the manufacturers.

But will peoples buying habits change? Will Utes and SUV continue to rule? Will the luxury brands see their sales and market share decline? How many brands, if any, will exit the Australian market? Will some brands cull their model lineups? Will we see an uptake in small car sales (Fiesta and Focus size) and the re-emergence of base spec trim levels to entice more people to buy a new car? Will EV's sales grow or go backwards?

Definitely interesting times ahead that's for sure.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Off topic,
I see that China is getting Everest with 2.3 EB, they make a 2.0EB version which is giving way to the 2.3. I guess the reason is to align Powertrain with Chinese Ranger and it’s 2.3 EB.

Just doesn’t seem right......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Off topic,
I see that China is getting Everest with 2.3 EB, they make a 2.0EB version which is giving way to the 2.3. I guess the reason is to align Powertrain with Chinese Ranger and it’s 2.3 EB.

Just doesn’t seem right......

What isnt right?

The only thing that isnt right is we dont get either cars with it here!
Old 20-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #57
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
I can honestly see the car market being in a slump for at least the next 12 months in Australia. Regardless of when restrictions are slowly lifted, it's not like there will be a lot of people that will be going out to buy a new car. You need a job, stable employment and a financial system willing to lend people money in a dull economy. Will probably take 2 years to see the Australian new car market back up to the levels of a million plus market.

April is going to be a shocker and it'll be very interesting to see the figures from all the manufacturers.

But will peoples buying habits change? Will Utes and SUV continue to rule? Will the luxury brands see their sales and market share decline? How many brands, if any, will exit the Australian market? Will some brands cull their model lineups? Will we see an uptake in small car sales (Fiesta and Focus size) and the re-emergence of base spec trim levels to entice more people to buy a new car? Will EV's sales grow or go backwards?

Definitely interesting times ahead that's for sure.
In the street I'm currently working in all the cars are huddling in their garages while I'm seeing more of the locals wheeling out old bicycles and these are mostly people who are still employed.
Lot of first home buyers area with a lot of debt.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
They are still everywhere here. Mostly the updated ones from 2014.

Victoria is different when it comes to the car landscape. I noticed you have a lot more Australian cars on the road down there. The patriotism starts to fade away before it gets this far.
There is a heap (pardon the pun) of Jeeps in the Wangaratta area. Client I'm currently working for has a late model one, he's happy with it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #59
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There is a heap (pardon the pun) of Jeeps in the Wangaratta area. Client I'm currently working for has a late model one, he's happy with it.
My 2016 Grand has been great. Less warranty issues than my PX Ranger. My Ranger was pretty good anyway.

I know it's American and owned by FCA, but they're better than they used to be.