Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #31
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nsw - Victorian border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
If you're an essential worker you may get away with it. You need a car if you have to work.

Interesting how you can't drive around alone in your car which is a very isolated place, yet you can jam 30 kids into a classroom for 6 hours then let them all go home to 30 separate families and the government thinks that's safe.
Good luck trying that excuse.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m no expert, but I don’t see the harm in driving because you’re in a contained environment. I think that fine was a bit excessive (like most of Victoria’s fines), though I would hate for the state’s revenue to decrease when speeding fines are obviously going to decrease. That being said, I also think if it’s not out of necessity, it is best to stay home. But people do have to get out and get fresh air and exercise too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #33
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I’m no expert, but I don’t see the harm in driving because you’re in a contained environment. I think that fine was a bit excessive (like most of Victoria’s fines), though I would hate for the state’s revenue to decrease when speeding fines are obviously going to decrease. That being said, I also think if it’s not out of necessity, it is best to stay home. But people do have to get out and get fresh air and exercise too.
Refueling
Stopping for toilet breaks
Stopping to eat

All put individuals and others at risk of transmission.
Is it that hard to not go for a drive?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #34
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Good call mate, mexico is too unpredictable at the best of times, worse under this current situation, police state and all, rogue premier make for border signage should read enter at own risk
At least the Vic government didn't let the Ruby Princess disembark its payload of virus. What a fool the NSW health minister looks with his responses to date and what a shambles they have created. Andrews is ahead of most of our pollies in dealing with the issue. If you want to see what a police state looks like read up on the Philippines where they will shot people flouting the rules.
minheim is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Simply put, no.. you are not allowed to according to VIC stage 3 restrictions. Driving a car to NSW because you just purchased it would fall foul of the 'essential travel only' legislation.

If you want to take a punt and risk a hefty fine, then that's up to you.

Heck, VIC Police have fined L platers for driving with a parent during stage 3 restrictions. Would've thought that would be fine under 'educational purposes' rule, which you are allowed to travel for.

Fake news, if you have valid reason to be on the road then border crossing is ok.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #36
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Fake news, if you have valid reason to be on the road then border crossing is ok.
Problem is, everyone on here has differing opinion as to what qualifies as 'valid reason'.

I'm not convinced that buying a new (to you) car would be considered a valid reason. Hence the advice on here to not take the risk.

However, if the individual wants to take that punt, that's up to them. And chances are, it would be unlikely that they would even be pulled over. But if they were....the determination of a 'valid reason' would be up to the discretion of the police officer pulling you over.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #37
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
At least the Vic government didn't let the Ruby Princess disembark its payload of virus. What a fool the NSW health minister looks with his responses to date and what a shambles they have created. Andrews is ahead of most of our pollies in dealing with the issue. If you want to see what a police state looks like read up on the Philippines where they will shot people flouting the rules.
yep from one extreme to another agreed.
Poor L platers.
Hazzard should be sacked not that will bring back those passed and satisfy those poor families effected.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #38
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d be sure there are plenty on here with multiple “jobs” - not out of cussedness but through necessity or just how things have developed. If buying a car to part out or resell is one established income stream, then fetching it is part of the job...

I’ve a formal letter from a client requesting me to thoroughly inspect a particular car 250km away and acknowledging this is part of an overall paid engagement - find a car, register it and have ready for their post quarantine life in Australia. Normally I wouldn’t bother with this level of paperwork but don’t fancy a 500+km round trip with added hassles.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #39
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Problem is, everyone on here has differing opinion as to what qualifies as 'valid reason'.

I'm not convinced that buying a new (to you) car would be considered a valid reason. Hence the advice on here to not take the risk.

However, if the individual wants to take that punt, that's up to them. And chances are, it would be unlikely that they would even be pulled over. But if they were....the determination of a 'valid reason' would be up to the discretion of the police officer pulling you over.

If the vehicle is required for essential purpose and you follow the governments guidelines then it will be fine, I don't see any restrictions on travel distance at all in the guidelines put out by the NSW or Victorian governments.
Last weekend I traveled 200k's to get a part for my vehicle to repair which was essential, I saved many $$$ in doing so and did not come in close contact with seller. I could have traveled less distance and pay more exorbitant price, did I break any laws?

Last edited by Itsme; 08-04-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Refueling
Stopping for toilet breaks
Stopping to eat

All put individuals and others at risk of transmission.
Is it that hard to not go for a drive?
You have to find something to do, and being solitary in a vehicle is fine. I had a solo cross country flight today then went off-roading up the trails. We all gotta do this solitary thing the best we can with some common sense. Sitting on the couch 24/7 just doesn't work for me, nor do I think it's beneficial. You can take precautions at the fuel pump with gloves, sanitizer, soap. So I can't go hiking because I may have contaminated the sole of my shoe, which touched the same piece of dirt as someone else's shoe? lol
Old 08-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good luck trying that excuse.
So a car doesn’t come under essential items excuse?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #42
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I dislike the term “excuse” as it implies in popular argot, an attempt to recover stature from a position of confirmed guilt.

My journeys on the roads remain justifiable, not “excusable”.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #43
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
You have to find something to do, and being solitary in a vehicle is fine. I had a solo cross country flight today then went off-roading up the trails. We all gotta do this solitary thing the best we can with some common sense. Sitting on the couch 24/7 just doesn't work for me, nor do I think it's beneficial. You can take precautions at the fuel pump with gloves, sanitizer, soap. So I can't go hiking because I may have contaminated the sole of my shoe, which touched the same piece of dirt as someone else's shoe? lol
You just don't get it. All those people currently ignoring guidelines will likely claim they use common sense too but really don't.
So many people desperately looking for a loophole or exemption for themselves
Old 08-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #44
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Fact of the matter is that everyone's personal circumstances will be different. For some, it may very well be considered a 'valid reason' to travel to another state to buy a car. For others it won't. Unless we all knew the OP's exact circumstances, it is wrong, IMHO, to say you will either be ok or not.

We can all create a list of hypothetical circumstances that support the 'yes, it's ok' argument, or the 'no, it's not ok' argument.

I was simply trying to point out that, if you don't have a valid reason, you run the risk of a fine.

What the OP (or anyone else considering a similar thing) chooses to do is up to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You just don't get it. All those people currently ignoring guidelines will likely claim they use common sense too but really don't.
So many people desperately looking for a loophole or exemption for themselves
Ok, I’m not getting into this with you. You do your thing and I’ll take care of myself and my family.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #46
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that everyone's personal circumstances will be different. For some, it may very well be considered a 'valid reason' to travel to another state to buy a car. For others it won't. Unless we all knew the OP's exact circumstances, it is wrong, IMHO, to say you will either be ok or not.

We can all create a list of hypothetical circumstances that support the 'yes, it's ok' argument, or the 'no, it's not ok' argument.

I was simply trying to point out that, if you don't have a valid reason, you run the risk of a fine.

What the OP (or anyone else considering a similar thing) chooses to do is up to them.
Hey it’s the internet, we get to enjoy people’s self righteousness.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

CB wrote....
I’d be sure there are plenty on here with multiple “jobs” - not out of cussedness but through necessity or just how things have developed. If buying a car to part out or resell is one established income stream, then fetching it is part of the job...

They would probably then fine you instead for not having a commercial towing licence, as the NSW police have been targeting privately owned tilt trays, flatbed trucks, and cars towing car trailers with (fitted) winches, claiming if you are transporting cars on a trailer or flatbed truck for profit, you are running a business which requires a commercial towing licence.
The towies have been jumping up and down complaining that they are losing work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #48
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d be safe; the trailer I borrow doesn’t have a fitted winch. :p

(But every time I use it, I sure wish it did!)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #49
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, considering I can’t look at the car myself...

Are there any members that’s live near Prestons Victoria.....

That can tell a good Falcon from a bad one.....

Other words have a look for me....please... but someone who knows what there looking at...
Thanks
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

CB, don't incriminate yourself with that tiny text.
Got a fitted winch myself but it pulls stone around.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #51
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Ok, considering I can’t look at the car myself...

Are there any members that’s live near Prestons Victoria.....

That can tell a good Falcon from a bad one.....

Other words have a look for me....please... but someone who knows what there looking at...
Thanks
Might help a bit if you could give an indication of the age of the vehicle. Some may be good on newer models whilst others ok on older models.

Bit far from Sale, sorry mate.

I'm sure someone will help you out tho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #52
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
not fake news here in Victoria, a L plater did get booked, the fine was $1600, she was 13 k's from home, they pulled it and issued a warning, but it did happen
Old 08-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #53
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
not fake news here in Victoria, a L plater did get booked, the fine was $1600, she was 13 k's from home, they pulled it and issued a warning, but it did happen

Trevor "fake news" Border is open, L plater was booked for not complying to essential reasons to be on roads has nothing to do with the topic of border crossing.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #54
hayseed

Just saw on the News Were George Pell was Travelling Melb to Syd via the Hume Highway..

Obviously that's deemed essential...............somehow...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #55
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Might help a bit if you could give an indication of the age of the vehicle. Some may be good on newer models whilst others ok on older models.

Bit far from Sale, sorry mate.

I'm sure someone will help you out tho.
True....

It’s advertised on Carsales, Black FGX G6E Turbo for $31888. Have a look at it on line. The car is at Ralph Da-Silva Holden at Prestons.

If anyone is interested to have a look at it and is somewhat knowledgeable about picking a good one from a bad one.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #56
hayseed

Quote:
True....

It’s advertised on Carsales, Black FGX G6E Turbo for $31888. Have a look at it on line. The car is at Ralph Da-Silva Holden at Prestons.

If anyone is interested to have a look at it and is somewhat knowledgeable about picking a good one from a bad one.
NFI, what they Charge, But might be worth It, if you're genuinely interested..

https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/...tml?int_cam=mm
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #57
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True....

It'll be thousands more than a private sale. Personally I'd wait patiently for a private sale then bargain away.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #58
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I dislike the term “excuse” as it implies in popular argot, an attempt to recover stature from a position of confirmed guilt.

My journeys on the roads remain justifiable, not “excusable”.

I'm all for bars, gyms, beaches, restaurants and any other business that people hang out in to be closed, but harassing people who are minding their own business and are practicing social distancing is out of control.

Since we drive a lot at work there are rumours getting around how police have been pulling over cars with more than one person in them and fining the occupants for not practicing social distancing even if they are essential workers who are at work.
I wonder how many unnecessary social interactions police are having when they pull people over for no reason other than to ask motorists why they think they deserve to be out on the roads.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #59
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking to a dad from our cricket club, who happens to be a cop, last night.
He told me they (in SA) will be using helicopters and, as of yesterday, started using drones to go searching for gatherings of people.

Been preparing themselves for this Easter period.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #60
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Speaking to a dad from our cricket club, who happens to be a cop, last night.
He told me they (in SA) will be using helicopters and, as of yesterday, started using drones to go searching for gatherings of people.

Been preparing themselves for this Easter period.
Maybe you should speak to that dad and TELL him to use the helicopter and drones to look for criminals. That would be too hard I think. Might as well just grab the good people. Hell of a lot easier....
2 users like this post: