Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
lokets
Starter Motor

Question Fiesta vs Mazda 2

Hi. I'm new here and I am considering buying a light-class vehicle - narrow down to between Fiesta (model WQ) and Mazda 2 (model DY10Y2). Some of you may have compared thoroughly between these 2 cars, and decided on Fiesta. Can I please ask why did you make that decision?

I guess the key citeria I'm concerned are:

1. Price
2. On-going maintenance cost
3. Fuel efficiency
4. Handling
5. Practicality - size, ease of use
6. Engine performance
7. the usual...

BTW, I'm looking into 4 door models & manual model.

With the new 2006 Fiesta, A/C being standard, the price of base LX 4-door is very tempting. Throw in auto (with included ABS/EBD) for an extra $2200 and the package is even sweeter, yum...

Thanks for any helpful viewpoints. :evil_laug

lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Fez WQ

Mate Just Drive Both The Fiesta Is 1000x Better. The Mazda Is A Bit Crude And Gutless. Go For A Fiesta Trust Me
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

The new mazda 2 is supposed to have slightly more torque available Lower down than before (but no more over all torque)

The mazda 2 and the Fiesta share basically the same chassis, of course there would be different suspension and tuning's for each car but there not too different overall (apart from the fiesta looking 10 times better !)

I do regret not test driving every car in the same class as the fiesta.
Just to really be able to compare the other cars to the fiesta.
Cars like Echo, Mazda 2 and the Jazz. Having said that ive been in a mates echo and didnt like it, ive been in the Jazz vti-s and even though it was nice, it wasnt my thing (grand parents own one) I test drove a hyundai accent and boy oh boy was that a piece of ИИИИ.
I made the right choice with the Fiesta, just felt so solid.. The first thing i noticed when i got in was the door sounding like it was a brick wall when it closed. I love heavy, solid doors.. they sorta give you a sense of security if you know what i mean. Everything in the Fiesta just felt right and everything in the accent just felt wrong.

So my advice is, go out there and test EVERYTHING in your price range, compare servicing costs and take your time.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
na01

I second what mitch says about the solidness feel of fiesta. I was so surprised the difference between other cars in the same price range (or even cars that are little bit more expensive) that felt so cheap as in build quality compared with fiesta.

So quick A's to ur Q's
1. Price === Worth every penny. (IMO best in its class)
2. On-going maintenance cost === Haven't spent any (only 4 months old) but couldn't imagine its gonna be expensive.
3. Fuel efficiency === drive about, 210km per week and costs about $30 (weekly) on premium. Oh, thats city driving.
4. Handling === feels very direct and solid (like go-cart). Not so wobly as some other cars.
5. Practicality - size, ease of use === fantastic if you drive in the city and park in tight shopping centre car parks or city road sides. But feels bit small for long jurney.
6. Engine performance === Engine feels solid and quite torquey for the size of engine. Although its very quite and smooth on normal driving, gets bit noisy at top end and doesn't reward you much by going to high rev range. After all, its not really a sports car.
7. the usual... === Fiesta is far from my dream car but considering the price of this car, its such a great car and I would really recommend it to my friends who are looking for economical small car. I am quite happy that I chose this car. Only down side is the Dealers can be a pain in the back side.

Good luck on your purchase
na01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Price: Since I got it financed, and being a poor uni student, there are time's I complain about the repayments, but in the end it's all worth it (:Alongside that we got discount's on any ford we bought.

Ongoing Maintenence: Nothing major as of yet (been about 8months I've owned the fiesta) apart from the various car washing products i've bought (:

Fuel Efficency: Depend if I gun it hard, mine's mostly highway driving so for three days of classes (160km per week) I use up about 30-40$

Handling: Love it (:

Practicality: Great if your going to the city, easy parking

Engine Performance: Like others said, great torque down low but a bit lacking up top. Still make's me smile though, it has (i think this is true) good responsiveness and a good takeoff.

Summary: Now that I look at it, I don't regret buying the Fiesta, I've met a great bunch of people who share the same interests and despite various "this is a chickcar" comment's I still love it!!
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

What I'm going to do here is to give the fiesta a %100 and then mark out here its only small bad points. Cuz theyre a great car with too much good to fit in here and not many bad points.

1. Price - Little overpriced if you'd like the Ghia or Zetec model. After all, at $20K+ for a Zetec, Its an expensive small Ford.
2. On-going maintenance cost - Nothing with a Warranty, However, Ford services are stupidly expensive.
3. Fuel efficiency - Not the best in its class, but it's a trade off for having a punchy engine
4. Handling - Best in its class. I'm confident throwing it anywhere, however the body can tend to roll a litlle. Chassis could handle soo much more power.
5. Practicality - size, ease of use - No dramas here
6. Engine performance - The worst factor. Fiesta is NOT fast, 1 gear picks up well, but by third gear its all over. Dont even think about overtaking unless you have a huge long clear road ahead!

Minusing those bad points from %100 I'd give the fiesta %80. Great car, my best car I've had. I love it. Just wish it was quicker!!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just to point out, Ford servicing is one of the cheapest manufacturer services around from my experience. Of course your local guy can do it for $100 but compared to most other new cars, EXPECIALLY all the euro cars, their services are generally dearer than any equivalent Ford product, Focus included.

I pay low $200's for a minor service and around the $500 mark for a major, that's not bad really. People seem to have some sick aversion to wanting to pay to keep their car running. Granted I'd rather not pay a cent ever, it's a necessary part of car ownership. I could go to Lube Mobile and pay less, but I'd rather get the Dealer to service my car, never had a problem before from going to a Dealer and generally always been more than well looked after.

So relative to other manufacturers, I've found the servicing to be pretty damn reasonable, I've done 66,000km and never once a hideous service, I've seen 4 services so far!!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

1. Price = Cheap... Seriously - I thought it was expensive till a family friend bought a Honda Jazz VTi CVT with alloys, spoiler, rear parking sensors, tint and alarm for $26,500.... WHOA?!
2. On-going maintenance cost = VERY cheap. Remember the Fiesta only requires a service 1year/15000km which is VERY good. Compare that to the Honda's 6month/10000km and you will know why (especially since the Honda service is farrrrrrr more expensive - we have had two Hondas in the family... and some services bill was about $1000)
3. Fuel efficiency = not the best for a 1.6L.... but the engine is such a great revvy engine... so I'll let it pass!
4. Handling = THE BEST IN THE CLASS - Read the latest Wheels Car mag - handling olympics. It has great lateral Gs... beating the likes of Subaru Liberty GTs around corners.... and trust me I have done it before!
5. Practicality - size, ease of use = Awesome. Heaps of cabin space. I work in Real Estate and clients usually comment on the car - they tend to like it! Mind you it is prob one of the nicer Fiestas going around : The boot is also quite big (well - i saw the size of the Yaris boot and LAUGHED myself silly)
6. Engine performance = Great - the engine loves to rev and play. Gear box NEVER rattles (something i found to HATE in alot of more expensive cars!) JUST READ MY SIGNATURE!

NOW - I didn't even test drive other car makes when i bought my car. I read the reviews... test drove the Fiesta and knew I had found something good. My family friend just bought a Jazz (couldn't help them - they wanted a Honda, or Toyota )... and I couldn't help but laugh at the Yaris. The rear bench was soooooooo thin I smacked my ИИИИ on the metal beneath it (mind you I am not big). The dash/door plastics were poverty styles. And the rear boot - where was it?!. Also, the engine - it was sooo small, i thought surely it must be a 1.3L... nope 1.5L... SHOCK

Then we headed to Honda. Great built quality. Drive wasn't communicative though - steering had NO feel. Then it also looked like a Mini MPV (note the Fiesta is the ONLY REAL HATCH). And then as above, the price was told - and i laughed. For that price they could have had a Ghia. Oh well - some people just never learn.

I'm selling the Fiesta - and mind you I am going to miss it. It is a great small hatch - I just wish the ST was out - as I would be putting my cash down for one right now. The looks are great... I smile everytime i get to my car. I don't think a Jazz would do that to you.

Good luck with the hunt - and just remember... the Fiesta was the best small car in 2004 and 2nd in 2005 (behind the Getz by 0.02 - however i would NEVER own a Getz). So, Getz moving to your Ford dealer and get a Fiesta already!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
frinik

got mine for 13500 12mths old....
wrote my other car off and needed something to ease the pain ....
read a few reviews and got it ...didnt test drive it or test drive any other in its class ...im pretty happy with it ..just needs more balls ...
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

The only bad thing I can say about my LX is that there's not much choice locally when it comes to after market stuff (especially wheels), otherwise, no major dramas.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

All the reviews I've read point towards the Fiesta being best in class. Wheels magazine and the Australia's Best Cars awards seem to think so.I personally find it to be a real drivers car with superb handling and feedback for a FWD. The build quality is amongst the best I've seen in the light class and even tops a few mid-sizers. You just can't go past the Germans for that. My biggest gripes are the average stereo (which may have been fixed with the facelift) and a lack of power. But I would say that after owning a Falcon. The engine note in the Fiesta is wild with none of the top end rattle I've seen in Japanese and Korean cars.

There are cars with more options crammed into them, (like the new Barina - formerly Daewoo Kalos), but if you want to enjoy your driving, the Fiesta kicks ***.