Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default subaru forester gt opinions

Hey guy's thinking of buying a subaru forester gt auto for a daily hack just after some opinions on the car are they worth buying or are they a total pile of dung all the review's i've read from drive etc.. i have read seem pretty good just after some peoples opinions on them.

i'm buying an auto as it will be primarily for the other half and she doesn't like driving a manual in peak hour which is fair enough i'll be using the car on some dirt roads around lakes and camping spots etc..

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey

See signature. My 07 (old, smaller shape) doesn't have a turbo :( but is a great car. Build quality is excellent, and havent had a problem in 1.5 years and 25000k. Service prices are reasonable.

Fuel economy is very good, but won't be the same for you.

Have been on a few minor off-road drives, but have a bigger one planned for tomorrow/Monday. On road handling is superb for a soft roader.

Can highly recommend these.
Old 15-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
1TUFFUTE
Banned

have 3 friends with gt foresters and they are excelent. Its what we are looking at for her car next too...i love em but the manual for sure haha
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Jesk
certified nutter

yeah well all up the Subaru (pretty well every variant) is a brilliant car, the only thing I see at work semi regularly is head gasket issues, but that only really comes with neglect on the owners part (ie letting it run out of coolant etc) which being an engine out job to repair thats quite pricey but dont let that put you off a brilliant car
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys ireally want a manual but the other half always whinges her feet get sore from stop start driving in peak hour thats why she wants an auto what should i pay for a decent 00-01 model as thats prob the best i can afford atm
Old 15-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

just check the insurance on them. you'll pay the same as a wrx. I got quotes 1900 a year. my mazda 3 mps i pay <$600
Old 15-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

mats got one with a bit of work done to it. goes great, good on fuel.
top notch car.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Car is very good.
Had both the GT, and the 03 XT. Watch out for wheel bearings on all models, and oil usage in the 2.5 litre models.
Insurance for mine was no more than $500 a year full.
They improve with a few mods to suspension, brakes and engine. The luxury model is the variant to look for.
Watch for wear in the heel area of the drivers foot rest. The carpet does not fit well, and we had ours replaced twice under waranty as it had worn through.
Do not put geolanders onto them. Look for a set of GIII Bridgestones, or similar. The Geos are too soft in the side wall and have a tendency to roll under when pushed. A stiffer set of tyres improves handling no end.
Go to GTRYDAZ and have a look around the site for some info.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Forester GT can be an awesome sleeper if you want to mod it, so it can be fun for you as well :

Test drive one and see how you go!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i've driven a few and they're awesome the luxyry models are grouse i had a look at a few the other day i want a 00-01 for the never shape
Old 16-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I like the older ones, probably the only small SUV I would actually part with my money, I really think Subaru got the new one wrong, now it just looks like any other generic Rav4/ Outlander/ CRV/ etc
Old 16-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
I like the older ones, probably the only small SUV I would actually part with my money, I really think Subaru got the new one wrong, now it just looks like any other generic Rav4/ Outlander/ CRV/ etc
haven't seen the new one so i can't comment but yeah the older ones are grouse i like all the storage compartments
Old 16-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mum has an 01 forrester (not a GT), it's a great car, gutless, but never had a problem. So the GT would probably be better
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
I really think Subaru got the new one wrong, now it just looks like any other generic Rav4/ Outlander/ CRV/ etc
Sales statistics say otherwise

As for the OP, as long as you don't need the back seat for humans to use they are great.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I've got myself a MY02 GT luxury.
Just a summary on why I bought mine.

- It's small enough for both of us to drive
- It will carry 5 people (just)
- It will carry the dog
- It has a MASSIVE sunroof
- It has heated seats
- It's a turbo
- It has 200mm of clearance which makes it surprisingly good off road
- It has a 4 star crash rating
- It has 4 air bags
- It has a gazillion storage bins, possibly more

And with some very slight mods (exhaust, TD04 turbo and pod filter) I've achieved 132kw at the wheels. Which is great considering it was 130kw stock at the engine.

Oh! I also reliably get 10L/100km even when it's hammering around town.

I did have to rebuild the gearbox at 175,000km due to a bearing failure (could have just replaced the bearing that was whining, but it was best to be safe). Rebuild + new clutch (it was due anyway) cost $2,500 all up drive in/out.

Try ozfoz.com and gtrydaz.com for cars and advice.
Old 17-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
yeah well all up the Subaru (pretty well every variant) is a brilliant car, the only thing I see at work semi regularly is head gasket issues, but that only really comes with neglect on the owners part (ie letting it run out of coolant etc) which being an engine out job to repair thats quite pricey but dont let that put you off a brilliant car

look some say i'm bias coz i work at a suby dealer. i'm not saying that you won't have any problems. but the headgasket problems have been fixed. these problems used to happen to the pre-2000 models.

Extremely safe 5-Star ANCAP rating
169KW but has a very punchy turbo
looks great
resale value is one of the best out there. the early 99-00 GT's are still selling around 20k...

Cheerz,
Old 17-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #17
AusM
AusMotorsport

It's a great car for what you said you wanted it for IMO...

If you want it a bit sportier (and bumpier on the gravel), then the suspension is really worth tightening up... unless you enjoy lift-off like this fella:

AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
300C-CRD

My local Subaru dealers are selling Pre-Owned MY08 Forester X Auto from $25,888 Drive away. It is not a GT, but still quick enough. GT brakes and tyres sometime can't cope with the power of the turbo engine. Having own a Subaru for the last 12 years, (still own one MY07 Forrester) It is one of most realiable cars ever.
300C-CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Another vote here for Subaru. After owning an MY01 Subaru Liberty, non turbo sadly, I can vouch for their agility around corners as well as their reliability. If it wasnt for the fact that I needed a bigger car and more power, I would have kept mine for sure.

You really cant go too wrong with a Subbie. Plus they have better resale value over a ford obviously. But as someone already said, check out some of the Subaru forums out there and ask their opinions on what to watch out for.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i tend to think if i ask around the subie forums i'll get a biased oppinion thats why asked here as i'm biased towards some fords
Old 18-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got back from a long weekend in my 07 X Luxury. While it is now VERY dirty and muddy, it never missed a beat. I was hugely impressed, even with the crap Geolander tyres we never got stuck.

Climbed some steep inclines, crossed a river, through some deep mudholes - all on very little petrol and then drove 300km home without a thought. On road handling is unreal as well. Amazing cars! All that stuff you see on car shows with CRV's and RAV's front wheels slipping before the rears kick in - never in a Forester, just keeps on powering.

I agree with the sentiment about the new one, looks to much like an X-trail/CRV/RAV clone. I prefer the older and smaller ones. New ones still have the same running gear.

We had a 03 X manual and the 07 auto on the trip. Both used about the same fuel, and neither got stuck, or even slipped much anywhere we went.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Sounds great Pinch. Would love to see some pics of the Subbies if you get a chance.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Just got back from a long weekend in my 07 X Luxury. While it is now VERY dirty and muddy, it never missed a beat. I was hugely impressed, even with the crap Geolander tyres we never got stuck.

Climbed some steep inclines, crossed a river, through some deep mudholes - all on very little petrol and then drove 300km home without a thought. On road handling is unreal as well. Amazing cars! All that stuff you see on car shows with CRV's and RAV's front wheels slipping before the rears kick in - never in a Forester, just keeps on powering.

I agree with the sentiment about the new one, looks to much like an X-trail/CRV/RAV clone. I prefer the older and smaller ones. New ones still have the same running gear.

We had a 03 X manual and the 07 auto on the trip. Both used about the same fuel, and neither got stuck, or even slipped much anywhere we went.
i was going to ask how your trip went
Old 18-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #24
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My little bro took most of the pics, but I have a few and a very short vid of my bro coming up a little hill on my little camera.

Pics tonight.
Old 18-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #25
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300C-CRD
My local Subaru dealers are selling Pre-Owned MY08 Forester X Auto from $25,888 Drive away. It is not a GT, but still quick enough. GT brakes and tyres sometime can't cope with the power of the turbo engine. Having own a Subaru for the last 12 years, (still own one MY07 Forrester) It is one of most realiable cars ever.
Yes, they're selling off the 07/08 ex-rental Foresters/Imprezas and 2.5 Outbacks from Hertz and Europcar, for driveaway deals like you said above... also included is a 5 year warranty, so peace of mind is provided.

All the rentals have auto tranny, roof bars, rear step panel and cargo tray to help protect them from tourist abuse, so you can spot them in the yards fairly easily !
Old 18-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #26
Ringo
I see you....

Arn't these basicaly WRX's with a different body and different tune (more torque, less punch) ?

I nearly bought one of these....bought a Mazda6 Lux Sport instead mainly for $ reasons and the Mrs liked the styling more (we didn't the wagon bit so much)

Get an Insurance quote....Turbo's can cost a lot more to insure. Also service records would want to be perfect - 8 year old turbo motors health will be effected by missed or patchy service records.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #27
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here are a few pics from my short trip. Mittagong over to Oberon through the mountains and a bit of playing out the back of Lithgow.
Old 19-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Arn't these basicaly WRX's with a different body and different tune (more torque, less punch) ?
I know the gearboxes are the same... (or at least used to be).

Another thing to check is whether the major 100/200k services have been done or are coming up - expect $1000 for this with a private mechanic, or $1300+ if you take it to Subaru and want it done badly by trainee apprentices...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #29
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats bassically the sort of terrain i'm gonna take mine on
Old 19-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #30
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoodiver
thats bassically the sort of terrain i'm gonna take mine on
They both did it absolutely easily, and the pics don't do some of the climbs and descends we did justice. All that on the stock Geolander tyres too.

Amazing, and much fun.

The mud sealing is second to none too, because we got these things very dirty and muddy. There was no mud or dust in the door jams, or on the pillars etc. Once I cleaned the extertior and undercarriage, she was as good as new. Had to spend a bit of time in the wheel arches, but wouldn't know now. Spent $14 at carlovers and now clean as.

You can tell I am impressed, expecially as they leave other soft roaders for dead on the tarmac. 5 star safety and add in a turbo.... sold.