Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Markxr6
Starter Motor

Default Focus Ls Zetec

Hi All

I am after some honest feedback about the LS Zetec.

Anyone who owns one, can you please let me know what you actually think of the car.

We are looking at getting 1 in a 5 speed but dont know a huge amount about them.

Please don't give comparison thoughts to the XR5, would love 1 cant afford 1 and I have read the threads about how good the turbo is.

Thanks
Mark

Markxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Forest Bear

It is fantastic. Ticked all the right boxes and satisfied both brain and heart. Got mine October last year. Very few annoying things or design flaws. What else you want to know?
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
BlackLS

Have a look at an LX and a Zetec side by side and determine whether you need a bodykit etc. Apart from visual differences, the Zetec also has deadlocking.

Also have a look at sedans lowered (Russ##Es is a great example)

The 2.0 Duratec HE engine is the same engine used in the Mazda 3, as well as the Mazda MX5. The duratec family engines in different capacities are also found in the Mazda 3 SP23, Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape and the half LR half LS Focus that the U.S. have. They are all built in Mexico.

All the Focus bar the XR5 are made in South Africa. I'm sure you've gone on the Ford webiste and had a look at the pricing and spec comparison.

Id go the LX, its the best cost vs features model in the range.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
raymon81

I would definatly go with the zetec, for $2500 u get Sports suspension 17" alloy wheels with low profile tyres, Body styling kit and Sports instrumentation. Plus u get the name ZETEC not LX and in the long term if u ever decide to sell, im pretty sure people would be after a zetec.
As for my thoughts about the car, ive had it now 6 months and love it so much. It actually feels like your driving an expensive european car. You cant go wrong
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon81
I would definatly go with the zetec, for $2500 u get Sports suspension 17" alloy wheels with low profile tyres, Body styling kit and Sports instrumentation. Plus u get the name ZETEC not LX and in the long term if u ever decide to sell, im pretty sure people would be after a zetec.
As for my thoughts about the car, ive had it now 6 months and love it so much. It actually feels like your driving an expensive european car. You cant go wrong
+ yummy black headlights and interior trim bits.

What is the sports instrumentation? Do you have a pic?
Old 29-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ditto as above.

I've done 12,000Km now without a single issue.

It remind me of my old WRX as far as zippy handling goes. Being utterly standard it still goes hard enough to be a satisfying drive. What did one motoring journalist say " a very eager and engaging ride" and I think that a fair statement.

For what it's worth I reckon the extra spend on the Zetec if just to get the suspension is well worth it.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
raymon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
+ yummy black headlights and interior trim bits.

What is the sports instrumentation? Do you have a pic?
hmmm good question hehe, im thinking maybe its got something to do with the trip computer? or other small bits in the car nothing major i dont think
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

There's no different in instrumentation that I'm aware of. Major difference inside (if you can call it that) is the cabon fibfre looking plastics on the centre console, console lids, satin silver door handles and different pattern cloth seats. We added the alloy scuff plates and gear knob which makes a noticable difference IMO.

I do like our LS Zetec, but I wouldn't buy another one. We have the 5 speed but I would go for the auto. If feels much more lively IMO.
Old 29-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Markxr6
Starter Motor

Thanks to all that have replied.
Any extra greatly appreciated.
Drove the Zetec last night and I thought it was a great ride and handled really well.
Black just rocks too.............
Markxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Kelvin
Kelvin

zetec :sm_headba

visually looks so much better but whatever makes you happy :

though couple of things i dont like, beeping sound when you get in and start without seat belt, an no foot rest on the 5speed :

but yes...
Old 30-09-2006, 04:34 AM   #11
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin

Definitely agree there. To be honest every model LS except Zetec and XR5 looks plain dull. The rest of the range wouldn't be out of place in front of a convent or nursing home. The sedan does nothing for me either.

I love the look of the Zetec. Its quite amazing what a few minor visual add-ons can do for a car. Go for the Zetec and save the bother of making it a pretend Zetec.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zetec all the way baby! they are the sex!
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin

though couple of things i dont like, beeping sound when you get in and start without seat belt, an no foot rest on the 5speed :

but yes...
You can disable that. I believe there are instructions on the UK Focus forums. Not sure if its in the "premium" section or not though.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
You can disable that. I believe there are instructions on the UK Focus forums. Not sure if its in the "premium" section or not though.
Have you been able to get this to work?

I have tried the sequence for over 2 hours and couldn't get it to go. I'm under the impression that the disable is only avaliable on the European Focus not A.P. or African builds which has the seatbelt alarm only if the speed goes over 5kmh, not when ACC is on.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Marshy79

There was something about a sequence of pressing the button on your seatbeat clip and doing this and that.

Aparently it works on the standard normal Focus.
Ill have to have a hunt for the doco again.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #16
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

AH! Awesome

I have been looking for some decent feedback on the 2006 Zetec...i just found it

A Black one will be coming my way January of Next Year..maybe earlier :
Old 02-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Have you been able to get this to work?
No, I never tried it. I quite like the "bong"-ing. :P Makes me feel like I'm driving an expensive car.

My last car was a KF Laser. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy79
There was something about a sequence of pressing the button on your seatbeat clip and doing this and that.

Aparently it works on the standard normal Focus.
Ill have to have a hunt for the doco again.
The same situation for the LR Focus. The sequence was posted on the US websites, but never worked on Australian Focus
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
Kelvin
Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
No, I never tried it. I quite like the "bong"-ing. :P Makes me feel like I'm driving an expensive car.

My last car was a KF Laser. lol

my last car was a 81 ka laser LOL :thebirds:
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #20
Marshy79

Ahh i see Melbzetec... i wont hunt down the info then

cheers
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
BlackLS

I'll look into overriding the drivers seatbelt sensor. Will post results.