Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
imbhvn

Default Series 3 au wagon miss fire giving me the *****!!!!

Hey guys, i have a series 3 wagon, has a miss fire on idle and when de-accelerating.

also, if i give it a bit it smells of alot of un-burnt fuel. And when slowing down holds revs at about 1000 rpm until completely stopped then drops to about 850-900.

I have just replaced the coil pack, put iridium spark plugs and new leads but hasnt fixed the problem. Since i've had the car i've replaced the fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, oxy sensor, tps, fuel pressure regulator and air filter.

Its really starting to irritate me, any suggestions on what it is/could be?

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

imbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Series 3 au wagon miss fire giving me the *****!!!!

Hi imbhvn, petrol smell- inlet maniflod gasket or iat sensor in the intake maniflod? You've replaced nearly everything so i'm going with that, but also maybe a vacuum hose has come adrift some where. When you replaced the plugs, the old ones were all the same colour aye? If not, maybe wiring to the coilpack? Ecu? You can extract fault codes from the ecu if you take it to a mechanic, will make things a bit easier. Hope you sort it out asap mate.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
imbhvn

Hey maka thanks for your reply, i had thr ecu scanned for faults and it came back with nothing, all 6 plugs were white in colour. What is the purpose of the iat sensor? Could it be the map sensor aswell?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbhvn
Hey maka thanks for your reply, i had thr ecu scanned for faults and it came back with nothing, all 6 plugs were white in colour. What is the purpose of the iat sensor? Could it be the map sensor aswell?
Hi imbhvn, the iat sensor is the map sensor on a au Falcon, have a look at the inlet manifold gasket first as its the cheapest (if you havent already)- check if the bolts are loose & tighten if so. You can still tighten the bolts and find the gasket may be too damaged so just be aware of that situation also.

That petrol smell is coming from the front & not the back? What about your coolant temperature? In spec? Not running too cold? If so that'll cause it to run rich too. Ect sensor at the back of the cylinder head controls that stuff. Thermostat not jammed open? Worst case scenario get a compression test done to eliminate burnt exhaust valve. Other members got a suggestion?

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
imbhvn

The un burnt fuel smell is coming from the exhaust, i done a comp test on it a couple of months ago and all came back around 160 psi. My temp guage sits between the n and the o where it says normal, ive been told its okay. Ive tested the thermostat and seemed to be okay also.

I forgot to mention that on take off if i put my foot flat to the floor the car doesnt pull until 3000 rpm (you can actually feel it push you back into your seat) but if i accelerate less than half it seems to pick up speed faster than it does when its flat. If that makes sense?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
imbhvn

I was just fiddling around with things under the bonnet while car was running, sprayed water around inlet manifold didnt change idle so assuming gasket is fine. I disconnected the mechanism on top of the throttle body revs dropped from 1000 on idle down to 500 took it for a drive and has ALOT more power, what is the purpose of this mechanism? Still has a missfire though :( its pretty much every revolution.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi imbhvn, i would still check the bolts on the inlet manifold for peice of mind, the iac valve is on top of the throttle body & it controls idle in conjunction with other sensors- take it off & clean out with carby cleaner etc then lubricate the plunger shaft, reset idle to specs. Also may pay to clean out throttle body too. If you can pull the plug on the iac valve & the motor dont nearly stall your idle may be out of spec.

cheers,Maka

Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vacuum lines, oxygen sensor?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
imbhvn

Hey maka, i am driving around with the iac unplugged, its a bit **** on startup in the morning but after that its fine, seems to be better on fuel too.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
imbhvn

Oh and btw with the iac connected and the idle screw completely unscrewed the car idles at 1000 rpm.
Old 14-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi imbhvn, iac seized up? May pay to get another iac & see if its any better at idle. Do a ecu reset & go from there.The inlet manifold bolts need to be physically checked- my bolts were loose after checking, i sprayed stuff around the gasket & didnt change engine note- checked bolts & they were loose. Also check your pcv valve, heres some excellent info from au3xr6 about correctly setting idle-

"if your base idle has never been touched leave it alone is is not meant to be changed unless there have been major changes and what ever you do don't just screw it up or down trial and error style there is a precise method for setting the base idle. it involves getting the engine to operating temp (the fans have run then stoped )and with all accessories off and the wheels straight ahead stop the engine and dissconect the wire from the IAC valve insert a 0.75mm feller gague between the throtle stop screw and it corresponding tab connect an accurate tacho and start the enging. with the fans not running adjust the base idle to 700 RPM +or_ 20 RPM stop engine remove feeler gague and reconnect IAC valve start engine and rev to just over 2000 RPM to reset the IAC valve. of course this should only be done with the engine in good order with no other faults"

cheers,Maka