Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Sportswagon Release News

It's a sure bet that Holden's marketing department has fingers collectively crossed for the VE Sportwagon. The new car's release date has left the Commodore range wagonless for months, allowing the Toyota Corolla to snatch the title of Australia's most popular car from the VE Commodore sedan for the first six months of 2008.

With the potential to sell a thousand units extra each month, the VE Sportwagon should provide some breathing space for Holden's large car range -- and move the VE back to number one. For this reason alone it's arguably Holden's most important new car release this year...

The Carsales Network has driven the new beast, but we're constrained by an embargo to remain schtumm until tomorrow, when we'll bring you our driving impressions in glorious detail.

In the meantime, we can tell you that pricing and specification for the wagon remain consistent with the information Holden revealed at the Melbourne International Motor Show back in March.

In other words, it's priced just $1000 more than its sedan counterparts and features standard reverse parking sensors, side-impact airbags for front seat occupants, side curtain airbags and ESP -- all as standard.

Just as the Commodore sedan does, the Sportwagon range comprises base Omega, sporting SV6, SS and SS V models, plus Berlina, Calais and Calais V variants.

Pricing starts from $37,990 for the entry-level Omega with 180kW V6 and four-speed automatic. This car is the model Holden will sell to fleets and yet it comes with gear such as ABS, ESP, multi-function steering wheel, 16-inch alloy wheels, auto headlights and cruise control.

For $3300 more ($41,290), the Berlina moves up to 17-inch alloys and adds front fog lights, a leather-bound steering wheel, trip computer, Bluetooth, MP3-compatible six-disc CD audio system, four-way electric adjustment of the driver's seat and dual-zone climate control.

At just $1000 more than the Berlina ($42,290), the SV6 model picks up a 195kW version of the Alloytec V6 and a five-speed automatic in lieu of the four-speeder in the lower-spec models. Standard features include FE2 sports suspension, 18-inch alloy wheels and a dual exhaust system. It reverts to the single-disc CD system of the Omega, but retains the Berlina's leather-bound steering wheel and Bluetooth connectivity.

The manual SS climbs to $46,290 for the six-speed manual variant. As for the sedan equivalent, the SS Sportwagon is powered by Holden's 6.0-litre all-alloy V8, developing 270kW of power and 530Nm of torque. A limited slip differential and the Berlina's audio system are the two principal features that set the SS apart from the SV6 -- other than the drivetrain. An extra $2000 ($48,290) buys the six-speed automatic transmission option.

Building on the SS specification, the SS V is priced at $53,790 for the manual or $55,790 for the auto. Both variants are equipped with projector-beam headlights, alloy-faced sports pedals, 19-inch alloys and leather trim for the gear selector and seats.

Priced from $46,790, the Calais shares its higher-output V6 and five-speed auto box with the SV6, except the auto is standard in the luxury grade (optional on the SV6).

For its specification, the Calais builds on the Berlina's equipment list. As standard, the car features 17-inch alloys, leather-bound steering wheel and gear selector, enhanced trip computer, Bluetooth, projector-beam headlights, six-disc CD audio system with MP3 compatibility, dual-zone climate control and six-way electrically adjustable driver's seat.

The Calais V is available with the standard Calais' V6 and auto drivetrain for $55,290, but also offers the option of the 270kW V8 and six-speed automatic for $60,290. Stepping up to 18-inch alloy wheels, the top-spec Sportwagon also incorporates a leather-bound sports steering wheel, more chrome accents for the exterior (door handles and side protection strips), rain-sensing wipers, leather-trimmed seats with memory and electric adjustment for the driver's seat and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system.

Many of the features that distinguish one grade from the next can be purchased separately as options. These include leather seat trim ($2500) for the Berlina, SV6 and standard-grade Calais and SS. The six-disc audio system can be specified for the Omega and SV6 for the sum of $595. Full leather trim with eight-way electrically adjustable front seats will cost Calais buyers a further $3000. The rear-seat DVD entertainment system fitted to the Calais V can be purchased for $1290 and will fit all models other than the Omega.

FE2 sports suspension, which is standard on the sports models, can also be fitted to the Omega, Berlina, Calais and Calais V for $330 – adding a limited slip differential is mandatory. The LSD in isolation is a $360 option.

Satellite navigation is an option across the entire range for $1290, or $1990 for the unit with full colour mapping. Similarly, a full-size spare tyre is a $250 option for all models.

Look out for our full launch review of the Holden Sportwagon range from midnight tonight.

AND FORD RECKONS THERE IS NO MARKET FOR A WAGON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

I work in Port Melbourne, there's a red SSV Sportswagon that I see almost every morning.

They don't look that good in the flesh.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive seen one on the Hume just outside of Albury a few weeks ago - I thought it looked great.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Shounak

Why the hell don't Ford make an equivalent? Those manual SS wagons were highly sought after, it lets your family man draw the perfect line between performance and practicality.

I hope they still have something similar when I have kids, else I'll just be forced to get an old VE.

I must say that GM appear to be much more innovative than Ford of late. Although introducing the Territory, the dedicated mums taxi 4wd was a good idea, it was still about 6 years ago. Ford really needs to come up with something new and exciting.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt it will sell.. the SS wagon was a fizzer.. Holden seem to take more risks with obscure models... maybe that's why they're struggling financially.
The Territory range has this model covered nicely in every aspect...

Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I doubt it will sell.. the SS wagon was a fizzer.. Holden seem to take more risks with obscure models... maybe that's why they're struggling financially.

Don't share your confidence on this - the Territory looks very much like all the other 4WD wagons like the Kluger, In fact I'd suggest except for offroad capability the Sportswagon has the Territory covered. It's modern looking and will perform pretty much like the sedan and have the extra convenience of a large cargo area.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
weenie

Quote:
I wonder how loved the f6x is these days.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie
I wonder how loved the f6x is these days.
Ahh more loved than that avalanche thing in your avatar... :togo:

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Forget the commywannabee liftpack
As for the F6X I doubt Ford would expect high sales for these anyway

but there certainly is a chance for fair sales in the wagon catergry imo......
I look forward to it being on the road and am very interested, am considering upgrading the wife's CRV and she no like SUV's and or Ford's family option which I agree.
She has pointed out wagons of many variants and with 3kids the above is right up my liking being the SS.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Don't share your confidence on this - the Territory looks very much like all the other 4WD wagons like the Kluger, In fact I'd suggest except for offroad capability the Sportswagon has the Territory covered. It's modern looking and will perform pretty much like the sedan and have the extra convenience of a large cargo area.
The load area of the Commodore doesn't look that big, I think the Terrritory's cargo area will be lot bigger, but your right the Territory is well past an upgrade.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Best looking wagon around, for the money, I reckon.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Ahh more loved than that avalanche thing in your avatar... :togo:
Ava..... Ava what? : As for the F6X meh dont like it either
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
WASP
Whipple Induced

What happend to the cylinder deactivation thingo with this model? Surprised it's still being launched with the 4 speeder auto as well. No wonder it's pacxked full of goodies to distract you! Probably work for the target audiance as well I like the idea of the Calais V.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
What happend to the cylinder deactivation thingo with this model? Surprised it's still being launched with the 4 speeder auto as well. No wonder it's pacxked full of goodies to distract you! Probably work for the target audiance as well I like the idea of the Calais V.
Good point. The displacement on demand thing has been talked about for a while and the technology definitely exists. I heard it was meant to be brought in just after the VZ.

Maybe Holden are waiting for fuel prices to REALLY go up and introduce it once V8 sales take a beating. I wonder how high petrol prices will have to go for this to happen, because as we all know, V8 owners don't buy their machines for the fuel economy around town.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric GT
Best looking wagon around, for the money, I reckon.
When the Mondeo wagon comes on sale hear Ford will have this market well and truley covered. With the rise of fuel costs, I think either a turbo 4 cylinder diesel or Turbo 5 cylinder Petrol wagon will be a lot more appealing to the general
public than a wagon with a marginally bigger load space and a thirsty 6.0L V8.

Meanwhile Ford will still have the Fleet and workhorse market covered with the BFIII, and For the SUV Market the Territory.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool I saw one of those the other day

I saw the new commy wagon the other day at Fountain Gate and I was a little disappointed as the "preview pics" (I'd seen in one of the mags) were hot- the car looked somewhat like the 300C touring but in flesh it's just another VE with a longer roof.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Martys-Bionic-XR

well while we are on the topic of ford introducing something more innovative so to say.

I WANT AN F6 TWIN CAB UTE : :sm_drool:
Martys-Bionic-XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
BLDNUT01

the new com wag is very small i,ve seen bigger medium sized cars we got 1 in at work and i had to have a look and laugh even the way the sloping tail gate when it opens seems retricted
Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the Sportswagon looks great. I wouldnt mind having one.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Quote:
I think there will always be a market for wagons, and I really think Ford should have a couple of wagons in its arsenal as well.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford has a wagon....
Sure, it's just the one, but Ford, from previous experience knows that there isn't a large market for performance wagons.
It's great for people to say, "Gee I loved the XR6/8 wagons", but how many people would actually own one brand new? There is no market.

I applaud Ford for making the hard decision to only have an XT wagon. Ford know that their car is a bloody good workhorse and it's pointless in updating a car where there is no wide demand for it, especially since there is the Territory which sells well.

Holden need to have a wagon...the Captiva is the only alternative, and that thing can't hold a drop of water as well as a thimble can.

There is a market for a Falcon wagon, but only in the simplest form.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Ford has a wagon....
Sure, it's just the one, but Ford, from previous experience knows that there isn't a large market for performance wagons.
It's great for people to say, "Gee I loved the XR6/8 wagons", but how many people would actually own one brand new? There is no market.

I applaud Ford for making the hard decision to only have an XT wagon. Ford know that their car is a bloody good workhorse and it's pointless in updating a car where there is no wide demand for it, especially since there is the Territory which sells well.

Holden need to have a wagon...the Captiva is the only alternative, and that thing can't hold a drop of water as well as a thimble can.

There is a market for a Falcon wagon, but only in the simplest form.
Yep.. Lets face it Ford has smashed holden with the territory.. they have no answer for it, they had to do something, but this wagon is a token effort, in a market where SUV style wagons are dominating because of their size, raised driver position and space this wagon goes against market trends... IMO this car is a poor response..

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #23
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

sexy sexy machine. i think they look great.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #24
GTP290

Speaking of Territorys, why dont they have an LPG option?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #25
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
Speaking of Territorys, why dont they have an LPG option?
Nowhere to put the spare.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #26
davids_gxl

Ive seen the wagon.could you fit a pram in the back,just.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
Nowhere to put the spare.
Which in itself is a crock of .. They could fit it to the cargo area like the Wagons...

All they need is a 4 speed TX 5 seat gas option, imagine the fleet sales... But no.. its all too hard.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In Carsguide today Holden say they are forecasting 8-900 wagons a month, with some of them being cannibalised from VE sedan sales, which is pretty dismal considering Ford probably sell about 4-500 BF wagons. Can't see how Holden could have justified the development dollars on making a wagon version with less than 1000 sales a month.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #29
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
In Carsguide today Holden say they are forecasting 8-900 wagons a month, with some of them being cannibalised from VE sedan sales, which is pretty dismal considering Ford probably sell about 4-500 BF wagons. Can't see how Holden could have justified the development dollars on making a wagon version with less than 1000 sales a month.
Are these SS wagons or the standard 6's?

Maybe Holden would do better if they adopted LPG to the extent Ford has. Straight gas seems to be the go at the moment.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #30
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Export potential.