Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 05-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Stumped
Starter Motor

Unhappy Cuts out

Hi,
I have a 1986 Telstar TX5 Ghia Hatchback Auto, had it 6 yrs, about 12 mths. ago, it started cutting out on take off when the car had reached normal operating temp. I had 3 mechanics & carby guy look at it & no one can fault it, between 40 & 50km if i back off the accelerator & accelerate again it wants to cut out also, it's like a flat spot, car runs fine, starts again straight away after cutting out, also 4 over 2 yrs the instrument cluster has been flickering on & off, not sure if there is a connection. Here are some of the things that have been supposedly done & parts that have been replaced.
Reco carby, Bearings & brushes on alternator, 2nd hand dizzy,Ignition module,Electrical diagnosis & repairs to carby, Spark plugs, Ignition coil, Fuel pump, Distributor vacuum cell, flickering stopped 4 about 2 weeks then started up again, after alternator was done. Any ideas?

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Stumped
Starter Motor

Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

might be the Vacuum modulator same as the laser post below
any loss of vaccume will cause the stall

you replaced everything else

what is the fuel pump mechanical or electric
Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Stumped
Starter Motor

Mechanical
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
dirty hands
Over Thinker

the instrument cluster I had problems with the connectors because of the copper printed circuit they use . the copper lifted off the plastic insulation and lost contact

bought another dash from a wrecker

if your car is injected the air flow meter/ tps/and ox sensor would make it stall if one was faulty - you could do a diagnostic. then check or clean the injectors

if only carby then you need to take it to a shop with an exhaust gas analyser to try and sort out the stall /flat spot problem
they might fit differnt jets into the carby

..if 3 mechanics cant solve the problem ..dont know who could
I would look over all the vaccume lines or see if it was a leaking inlet manifold gasket
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Stumped
Starter Motor

The solenoids on carby were changed but still did no good,took it back to carby place who supplied rego carby & all checked out good, the alarm, tacho & air con were all disconnected as a possible cause but no luck, not sure if it is mechanical or electrical, but i will look at all your suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 26-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
GT_351
GT 351

the flickering of the dash is from the dash dimmer control, its a bad connection, pull it out and re solder some of the connections in the controller or buy another one from the wreckers. I have had one of these cars for 8 years and the only problem i had with cutting out are the ignition module which will cause problems when engine reaches operating temp and also another type of vacuum valve (i cant remember the name) but it is the big white plastic valve just behind the carby.....it was faulty. try those things......see how u go these cars are quite reliable and its usually the small things that cause this...
GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post