Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
thedutchman92

Default Anyone finding uni disengaging and boring?

I am in my first year of uni and I love the social life (living on residence) but hate the essays with passion and the course doesn't feel progressive or like its going anywhere. permanent works seems much more appealing at the moment.

thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
stikas
Starter Motor

Default Re: Anyone finding uni disengaging and boring?

My daughter felt the same way. She applied for a uni exchange and ended up in Canada and loved every minute of it, on & off campus. She now has her degree and I feel is a better person for doing it. The exchange was for 12 months and unisa paid for her airfares only.
stikas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Barnaby

What vocation?
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutchman92
I am in my first year of uni and I love the social life (living on residence) but hate the essays with passion and the course doesn't feel progressive or like its going anywhere. permanent works seems much more appealing at the moment.
The term to use is "delayed gratification". Yes there are some boring bits, but you need to get through the difficult and tedious bits to get to a worthwhile end. It also depends on the course and how interested you are in working in the field when finished.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
doesnt sound right to me mate . i would get this sorted quickly if i was you , as its a career choice , not a social experience , you need to be going for the right reasons , and interest and expectation outcomes and direction at the end of the course
good luck but make sure you know why your going ,m if its boring and unprogressive it's either not for you , or its a claytons course heading no where . good luck and getted sorted so you know if your wasting your time or not .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what you are doing mate. I'm in 2nd year of mechanical engineering and its only just starting to interest me. The first year of any course will be pretty general and hence be boring. Hang in there
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
thedutchman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
Depends what you are doing mate. I'm in 2nd year of mechanical engineering and its only just starting to interest me. The first year of any course will be pretty general and hence be boring. Hang in there
Lucky you, I would have loved to do mechanical engineering but didn't have the right secondary school mathmatics. I am doing politics with a mix of philosophy and economics. It comprises of all essays and I am hating it, hence why I only just passed my 4 subjects in semester 1. Acedemic readings send my to facebook or ford forums because they are less engaging as watching paint dry...and don't get me started on doublespeak.
Old 21-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Lucky you, I would have loved to do mechanical engineering but didn't have the right secondary school mathmatics. I am doing politics with a mix of philosophy and economics. It comprises of all essays and I am hating it, hence why I only just passed my 4 subjects in semester 1. Acedemic readings send my to facebook or ford forums because they are less engaging as watching paint dry...and don't get me started on doublespeak.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol . i see your dilemma , its like trying to get a straight answer , or a simple yes or no , out of a politician . hahahahah
Old 21-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
thedutchman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol . i see your dilemma , its like trying to get a straight answer , or a simple yes or no , out of a politician . hahahahah
Precisely, the only reason I would want to be one would be to shut the useless one's up, get this country fixed up and not BS around everyhting just to get a second term. no wonder they turn out the way they do after 3 years of uni....try 3 years of community service and we might get better polies
Old 21-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Precisely, the only reason I would want to be one would be to shut the useless one's up, get this country fixed up and not BS around everyhting just to get a second term. no wonder they turn out the way they do after 3 years of uni....try 3 years of community service and we might get better polies

seriously though mate , i guess that would be a very hard course with a specific aim /or approach . it would take a special kind of person to do it . political bureaucracy would be demanding. like a race without a finish line .
and when you find out how it really is it can be very disheartening .
certain people can be intereted in this . others cannot . but an interesting field non the less.
Old 21-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I was...until I changed my degree...since that point, smooth sailing.

Assignments are part of uni life - the further you get, the harder they get, the worse they get and the more mundane they seem - and then you get your degree...

The key is to make sure you're intrinsically motivated from the outset of your units (as opposed to extrinsically)...it will make life a whole lot easier knowing you're doing it because you WANT to, and not because you HAVE to...

Just what I've found anyway

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
thedutchman92

I do need to switch course, too bad its 4 weeks in to semester 2, so my hecs debt will likely have about $10,000 worth of waste on it.
Old 21-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Not if you utilise what you've already studied, there'll be some kind of cross-over somewhere (depending on what you decide to switch to), you may be able to get RPL's...what uni are you studying with anyway?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
thedutchman92

La Trobe uni in Bundoora, think I want to switch to accounting
Old 21-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep sounds like you need to re-evaluate your course selection. If you are finding the subject matter boring you're not going to enjoy the occupation it ends up putting you in.

Sezzy is right, and has swallowed a dictionary, you need to know where your hard work is taking you and where you can apply it.

I got my mech engineering degree almost 10 years ago now (geez I'm getting old!) and luckily part of my course involved 12 months work experience in the middle, so that when I came back I was reinvigorated and motivated knowing where the results of my hard work will take me. Up until then I was failing subjects routinely and had a barely passable average grade. For the last 3 semesters after I came back from work experience I had a high credit / distinction level average. Unfortunately I had such crappy grades from my first 5 semesters I only ended up with a pass average but I still got my degree and am working in the field I wanted to.

Anyway my point is try to visualise how you can use what you are learning, it helps to put thing into perspective. And if you dont like what you see (in your visualisation) then it's not the course for you.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I found Uni wasn't interesting till 3rd/4th year. But I still felt that it was more a degree factory then anything. I guess I would have preferred a system were I could have worked for a company part time as well as going to uni. Probably would have made it better.
Old 22-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
You do realise if you do well in the first year of a degree, its much easier to transfer to another degree yeah? Look around at other degrees you'd like to do, like Mech engineering for example, look at what you lack to complete the degree such as the maths skills. Spend the next few months bringing your maths understanding up, keep your grades above credit average for the current degree, and try to transfer to another degree, like Mech Engineering next year.

People often dont realise that once in uni, its a back door to degrees you couldnt get in in the first place. With the politics, its not about who is right etc, although Im sure there lots of that being discussed but thats just a means to an end, its about understanding the process and the why of **** that happens. Dont worry about it making sense, just get your head around the notions or general concepts, ie: dont have an opinion about it, just learn it and youlld keep your grades high. Alternatively, look at your opinion and how it fits, and then make sure youre justifying them with the concepts taught at each lecture. You dont have to be right, you just need to demonstrate you get what they are teaching and can apply it.

Chin up, dont see tomorrow, see the future.

Oh, NEVER PUT OFF STARTING ASSIGNMENTS AND READINGS ETC, NEVER FALL BEHIND. If you have, dont keep doing it, its hard if not impossible to catch up, but at least dont fall further behind. Dont forgo the semester, at least give it a good shot from here on.

Accounting, lol. I started in that, ended with a double degree in law and accounting. You'll love Company accounting, allocating costs one department of an organisation imposes on other departments. It seems to defy all the rules and techniques of the previous learning on accounting. I struggled to get my head around it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
Zero_PSI
Banned

I'm at tafe with a fulltime work load. I find the hardest thing for me is getting the motivation to do something. I'm in IT and we don't actually get lectures. Our lecturer just sits and waits for our questions. I'd give anything to have a lecturer instructing the way through each topic rather than watching crappy video's and reading 50 pages of text word by word, incase you miss something.

I'm falling behind and really need to knuckle down as I finish up in december.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
La Trobe uni in Bundoora, think I want to switch to accounting
You mean your current course is less interesting than Accounting?! Well, there's your problem.

Way back when, I wasted time in Uni. IT degree, first year was full of crap that I had no interest in doing and was very general. Had to do Law, Accounting, Maths as it was a general stream of a Business degree. It wasn't until the 2nd year that you actually got to choose your fate and the classes that actually interested you.

Eventually dumped the degree for a full time job (this was more than 20 years ago, mind you) as the lecturers were useless and our choices were things like COBOL.

Uni has beneficial courses (like Accounting) and largely useless courses (IMO, like IT) and if Accounting is the way you want to go, apply for a transfer. If some of the courses you're doing now are also included in the Accounting degree, stick them out.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you need to change courses mate, if you want to stay at uni and you really don't think it's for you, make an appointment to go and see a course adviser and work out what your options are. Don't let your grades slip in the meantime.

I'm a 3rd year and have always found the course I'm doing at least a little bit interesting and engaging, even in first year, although I've always struggled with readings. I'm reasonably confident that it's the right degree for me and am getting excited for honours. Hopefully once you slot into a degree you like, you'll feel the same way.
Old 22-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I found Uni wasn't interesting till 3rd/4th year. But I still felt that it was more a degree factory then anything. I guess I would have preferred a system were I could have worked for a company part time as well as going to uni. Probably would have made it better.
This is a very accurate statement. The problem with university 'education' is that it is a drone factory, creating the next generation of plebs and corporate wannabes. They (uni administrators, lecturers, faculty heads) don't teach the students to think and to seek out and learn on their own, away from the syllabus. What they do instead is they create a class of exam regurgitators. It's why I haven't gone back to academia (that and the fact that money talks like never before).
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
This is a very accurate statement. The problem with university 'education' is that it is a drone factory, creating the next generation of plebs and corporate wannabes. They (uni administrators, lecturers, faculty heads) don't teach the students to think and to seek out and learn on their own, away from the syllabus. What they do instead is they create a class of exam regurgitators. It's why I haven't gone back to academia (that and the fact that money talks like never before).
I agree but adisagree too. Im currently doing social work, and although much of the education is blurted out information - and i guess social sciences is different to something such as accounting) based on historical events, research of others and analysis of research data, they do encourage you to develop your own sense of self. I work in the human services industry also for a non-government agency, and although we have a basic format for what criteria needs to be met regarding clientel and what organisational processes need to be met, its pretty much up to your imagination (within the basic social work model of empowerment and client determination, and of course restricted within organisational policies) on how we assist individuals/groups/communities etc.

However, this is not to say that UniSA is awesome at engaging students who do not commit to full time study and on campus education (i work full time and study part time in my own time... and a little at work)

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did IT @ uni and it was an absolute waste of time.

Sure it's nice to have a degree, no one can ever take that from me, but no one will ever ask me to write an essay on why a server has gone down, they'll just want it fixed, ASAP!
Old 22-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
I don't know what you studied, but I'm doing bachelor of psychology, and they very much try to encourage students to think outside the box and think independently, most of our assignments this year have been structured that way. Yes we have to follow the syllabus but it's definitely not just a case of regurgitating exams.
Old 22-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

1st year sucks. 2nd year sucks.

3rd and 4th are alright.

Basically….if you want to degree in that particular field, get it done. If not, switch now.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
but no one will ever ask me to write an essay on why a server has gone down, they'll just want it fixed, ASAP!
Lol, my everyday situation.

I'm looking at doing online Uni studying an IT degree just so I can further myself in my current job but not committed to starting yet as there are too many things in my life that are up in the air so I can concentrate on the job at hand.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
XRDeeze
UTRIED

assignments? lectures? studying?? faaarrrr! glad I didnt go to Uni
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

WELL DONE EVERYBODY . it's great to see people aiming high . my advice . keep it up , and apply it to your future career, make it work . it wont fall in your lap , and is a waste of time unless you make it work , anyone doing a degree because they have nothing else to do , shows a lack of interest and is probably wasting their own time . so find the right course , if your not happy switch , but have a goal at the end . cheers to all.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #29
thedutchman92

Thanks everyone for your insightful input. I will be changing course for sure as I am very disenchanted with it so far, just worried baout getting the grades needed for a transfer as it is hard for me to do well if I don't enjoy the current subject...what a dilemma
Old 22-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #30
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did 3 and a half years of my Engineering degree before I quit in 2005. I have got 1 semister left to do. Uni turned me off the whole industry. I now work in a completely different industry and it was the best thing I have ever done. Do not get stuck in a course that you will hate and wish you had never done.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post