Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Question Hows this for a complex problem!!

The following all came after an upgrade to an xr6vct engine and manual conversion to an AU1 forte.........

Originaly the car was blowing a tonne of black smoke and averaging 200kms or less to a tank of petty (engine was fine, not using oil or coolant, leads plugs coilpack fuel pump and regulator all fine injectors were all fine, oxy sensor rooted but replaced Map sensor fine also and the whole exhaust was done just incase there was a blockage, but none of this solved the problem!).

all of a sudden this stopped one day but instead, when I put my foot to the floor so as to achieve a WOT status - the injectors shut down, and somehow the timing is out now too, as the power peaks around 2 1/2-3gran resulting in a gutless car (it had plenty of power when blowing smoke!).
after weeks and weeks now of trying to get a diagnosis there is finaly a theory!!
theres a fault code showing up for the vehicle speed sensor (however the sensor has been tested as fine and no probs with speedo either).
As my Forte is a late model series 1(jan 00) it uses the series 2 smartshield imobiliser system instead of the series 1 one, thus not allowing a series 1 ECU to be used so a series 2 ECU has been running the car since the conversion.
It is assumed that because my cars BEM is a series1/2 hybrid but the ECU is a S2 they are not speaking to eachother properly, and that for some reason the ECU is missinterpretting the WOT signal for a speed signal of 240kmph + thus activating the speed limiter and shutting off the injectors!!

COMPLICATED?? YES!

Solution: Ill be changing over the dash BEM and wiring looms to a earlier series 1 and using the same ECU to match and hopefully this solves the problem of the injectors and of the ignition timing also......

anyone else had any dramas like this?
if it doesnt solve the issues, any ideas how to fix it or any other theorys, every mechanic ive been to is stumped and im frustrated as hell!!!??????

Old 24-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
sednwol

I just confused trying to follow you problem : I hope everything sorts itself out.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

What a problem :( , hmmm.

Your saying your BEM is a s1/s2 hybrid, and your now running a series 2 ecu ?

If your car is a series 1 , And if that is still the same BEM , what series ECU was it running before the conversion? . A series 1 ECU ? Have you actually tried the series 1 ecu again ?

If your car ran before with a series 2 BEM and a series 1 ECU , then the BEM must be some kinda inbetween as you mentioned. Just got me wondering why if the ignition system would run before with a series 2 'hybrid' BEM and a series 1 ECU why it wont run now with a series 1 ECU ??

Or the only other thing i can think of maybe is if the original series 1 ECU that was originaly in your car before the conversion had some sort of edit from factory to allow it to run with a series 2 BEM , otherwise the series 2 BEM you have now should work fine with the series 2 ECU. ?

Have you looked at / asked anyone if a full edit will fix ya problem ? would be costly , but might be able to fix the problem and get some nice power gains over the stock ecu settings while at it ... gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
I6corp
Was V6corp

Oh geez... ... ... Thats a whole lot of trouble if i ever saw one. :S

Good Luck mate...
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Is your crankshaft position sensor ok?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to just put an XR6 HP head on it and go back to the original ECU/BCM??

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
What a problem :( , hmmm.

Your saying your BEM is a s1/s2 hybrid, and your now running a series 2 ecu ?

If your car is a series 1 , And if that is still the same BEM , what series ECU was it running before the conversion? . A series 1 ECU ? Have you actually tried the series 1 ecu again ?

If your car ran before with a series 2 BEM and a series 1 ECU , then the BEM must be some kinda inbetween as you mentioned. Just got me wondering why if the ignition system would run before with a series 2 'hybrid' BEM and a series 1 ECU why it wont run now with a series 1 ECU ??

Or the only other thing i can think of maybe is if the original series 1 ECU that was originaly in your car before the conversion had some sort of edit from factory to allow it to run with a series 2 BEM , otherwise the series 2 BEM you have now should work fine with the series 2 ECU. ?

Have you looked at / asked anyone if a full edit will fix ya problem ? would be costly , but might be able to fix the problem and get some nice power gains over the stock ecu settings while at it ... gl
The original ECU was a Tickford hybrid S1/2 ECU with gas. Unfortunateley I cant use that ECU as it wont run the VCT - It wouldve been nice though as it wouldve saved cash not haveing to get an aftermarket gas computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to just put an XR6 HP head on it and go back to the original ECU/BCM??
Definiteley easier - but not cheaper (pitty), the dash and new bcm is getting done for free as a warranty job from the same car the motor came from and then I'll be using the ECU from that car which will be a free swappover aswell.
At least this way I wont have any hybrid parts to track down in the future if its needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Is your crankshaft position sensor ok?
The auto electricians computer suggests that its ok, it hasnt been swapped over to check though, that'll definiteley be something to double check if the new BEM dont fix the prob. cheers.
Old 24-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A complicated probelm. I'm sure you'll nut it out though.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Holy $#!T ~ I Cant Believe It Worked!!!!!
Old 28-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
I6corp
Was V6corp

haha congrats mate, glad to hear it
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post