Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default Steering column position causes different steering reaction ! .

Just something i though i would mention , I don't know if this is just with my car or what / or if it just the angle of the uni-joint in the steering rack.

I noticed when i first bought my car that the steering column position was pretty much fully in ( towards the dash ) and up to the max. For the first week or 2 i didn't adjust the steering cloumn ( didn't even think of it ) .
I noticed when coming out of sharp u-turns that the steering wheel didn't sorta auto spin back to the centre position under acceleration/ it also felt a bit stiff for power steering.
At first i thought it was a steering problem , yet after adjusting the steering column mid way out toward myself and lowered too / the steering seems much lighter (much better) and also auto-return to centre under acceleration out of a u-turn np.
Has anyone else experienced these same sorta conditions with the steering column in different positions on the AU series ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
AUIIForte

YES! Exacly the same with me... But I have been driving my Forte for about 6 months, then I decided to see if its more comfortable with the steering wheel abit lower and closer to me, so I pulled it out, and lowerd it about half way, and the now the steering is sooo much easier and smooth. Same thing with the auto spin thing. I dont know if its actually mechanical, or if its just us :P
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they pull out too? i must admit, i dont usually play with the column at all, but i was under the impression it only moves up and down?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
janek
Ripping it up

never had a problem with mine, and ive had it in all positions
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

You don't suppose it feels easier when it's closer because your muscles are doing less work to achieve the same result ? That is your body has better leverage on the wheel because it's closer, not that it requires any more or less effort to turn.

As for the self centering, that should just be a function of the suspension/steering designed in geometry and the camber/caster settings. I am not convinved that any slight change in steering column angles/reach would effect this an any way.

When I had access to an AU I always had the wheel lower and closer, it seemed like a much better driving position.

Old 28-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Imo I recon its the angle of the small uni-joint on the steering column shaft . Just like a socket set uni-joint adaptor for example, angle it on about a 30 degrees and spin it , you can feel the resistance in the uni-joint compared to say angling it at around 15 degrees.
And the steering in my car definatelly won't return to centre sorta automatically after a u-turn when my steering wheel position is all the way up and all the way in / there's a big angle on the steering uni-joint in this position. Maybe the uni-joint on my car just needs a bit of greasing to make it not so noticable.

Old 28-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i must try this out.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I appreciate others comments , ty , not that i drive the car around with the wheel in that position anyway , but if everyone elses steering returns to centre no problems in that position (wheel fully up and in towards the dash ), then at least i know that maybe that just my steering might need some maintenance. cheers everone .

Old 28-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was under the impression that my wheel didnt return to centre on it own so quickly was because i have fat tyres on the front, therefore more friction and harder to turn? does that make sense?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i was under the impression that my wheel didnt return to centre on it own so quickly was because i have fat tyres on the front, therefore more friction and harder to turn? does that make sense?
Yeah thats true that wider front tyres make it a bit harder to turn and also slows down the 'return to centre' a bit , but im on about with just 225's , and the steering pretty much doesn't return at all (without a helping hand ) in the position i mentioned / in my car anyway / first few days of owning it i nearlly gutter mounted it a few times because of this , until i adjusted the steering all has been fine , and more comfortable .

Old 28-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
SVR73
Mr Polish

Mine is set all the way towards me and lowered to the point where I can only just see the DTE meter and KM guage
Steering is effortless and very responsive
When I test drove my VCT I nearly went onto the footpath as I was used to driving my lowered forte which is no where near as good handling
In hindsight I should have bought the VCT instead of the forte in sep 98.
Old 29-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not being negative, but the angle change would only be a couple of degrees given the length of the column and the small amount of up and down adjustment.
As with the self centre of the wheel it depends on how much caster the front end has. If it's not self centering when the wheel is in the highest position maybe there is an issue somewhere in the column or intermediate shaft.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
I'm not being negative, but the angle change would only be a couple of degrees given the length of the column and the small amount of up and down adjustment.
As with the self centre of the wheel it depends on how much caster the front end has. If it's not self centering when the wheel is in the highest position maybe there is an issue somewhere in the column or intermediate shaft.

Yep I agree with this guy.

Just got back from testing your theory, and sorry to say, it made no difference as to what position I had the wheel in.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #14
xwgthoe

Lucky you guys have not got an auto BA cause you can move the pedals forwards and backwards. This would mean that you could brake/accelerate harder cause the pedals can move further................ha ha
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If you put the wheel all the way up and in , then look at the uni-joint angle on the steering column shaft under the bonnet / then compare the angle of on the uni-joint with the wheel pulled out and lowered , there is a big difference in angle ! . Btw , I greased the uni-joint and it's fine now in all positions , was just a bit dry . ;) . cheers .