Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New FOCUS 1st Qtr 2009

FORD'S small car will get a sharper focus next year and sharper performance.

The mid-life update for the Focus includes sharp upturned headlights, a new grille and for the first time the diesel will come with the six-speed, double-clutch Powershift automatic transmission.

The Getrag-built Powershift gearbox is claimed to upshift in 8 milliseconds which is much quicker than 100 milliseconds for Ferrari's 599 supercar.

Ford claims Powershift improves fuel consumption and reduces C02 emissions by 4 to 8 per cent.

Ford Australia communications manager Sinead McAlary said the updated Focus would arrive in the first quarter of next year.

"It's not just a facelift; it's a significant upgrade," she said.

"It should generate more sales for Focus, although I'm not prepared to put a number on it.

"We've always thought Focus deserved better sales than it received and in October there was a sales spike which we attribute to our new ad campaign which concentrates on the features it has.

"Therefore, we will be heavily promoting the advantages of Powershift on the updated model."

McAlary said she would not speculate on prices.

The facelift will be the last before the next model which will be built at Ford's Broadmeadows plant in Melbourne in 2011.

The upgraded Focus has an aggressive looking grille, sharper headlights like the Mazda3 but with more pointed "eyes", more slope on the roof and a squat rear like a Honda Civic R-Type.

The skid skirts are scalloped and the bonnet moulded with the Ford logo on the overhang, rather than in the centre of the grille. Indicators are now incorporated in the mirrors, rather than on the side.

The upgraded Focus may not get Ford's new simplified control system which is similar to BMW's iDrive and the Mercedes Comand system.

That may be held back for the next model.

Meanwhile, newly appointed local chief executive of Ford Australia, Marin Burela, said there were "no more plans" to cut jobs after 800 jobs were axed last month.

Burela is confident of an upswing in sales next year, forecasting an overall market of 950,000 vehicle sales.

"The first six months are going to be tough but there could be an uplift in sales in the second half," he said.

Old 22-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

It won't look like that. I can guarantee that nothing that Auto Express has ever Photo chopped turns out to look like their effort.

It will, on the other hand look like this:

The dealers are driving them on the same day they drive the new Fiesta, so Ford are going to hit the new year with two new small cars.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UK foto's show it as your post
Old 22-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Turbo-Diesel + Powershift Transmission = Brilliance! I would imagine the new transmission will be available not only on the T.D. but throughout the range? Correct?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Mullett
Badly Focused

I'm in NZ at the moment, and they've already got the LV model. Does this mean we'll skip that totally and get something different again?

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It won't look like that. I can guarantee that nothing that Auto Express has ever Photo chopped turns out to look like their effort.

It will, on the other hand look like this:

The dealers are driving them on the same day they drive the new Fiesta, so Ford are going to hit the new year with two new small cars.
Um? We've had that shape/update in NZ for months, that can't be right?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-164083948.htm
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Mullett
Badly Focused

yeah, I'm in New Plymouth for work...you buggers got the new ones! We're still stuck with the old model, they're trying to get rid of them as fast as they can...

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

There is a few of them driving around at the moment Ive seen the new shape a few times now. There is at least 2 diff XR5's
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

that first picture of the white focus looks revolting. front looks like its been molested by a at Poojet.
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
819_FLY

XR5's of that shape have been out a few months now and the rest of the field is catching up. It looks alright, but yet again looks like another facelift on the LS Focus.... hopefully the higher range cars have a lower price range to encourage more people into the small car area... 43 grand for a hatchback is too steep for an XR5 considering its primarily another cylinder, turbo, suspension and seats... prob around 37 would be a reasonable figure....

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

You guys in NZ get the German built Focus. We in Australia get ours from South Africa, which hasn't changed its shape yet. Australia got an ASEAN Focus, with an altered front bumper (this happened when we got the Diesel as well). As seen on the Ford website.

We do, however get the German XR5 Turbo (ST), which has the new front, rear and interior. As I said, the dealers get to drive the LT (?) Focus next month.
Old 24-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They came out in NZ mid May I believe. The ST/XR5 look good.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Oh god, they all look hideous.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Well boys the new LV is being driven as we speak at Dealer launches and the Powershift is amazing!!! You SERIOUSLY have to drive it to believe it. I'd heard all the hype about the DSG in VW Golfs, but it is THAT sharp, quick and responsive, it is almost instant gearshifts. The car changes gears before the speedo needle has time to move! At the same time, even under full throttle acceleration, you can't FEEL the gear changes.

I'm a changed man.
Old 26-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Well boys the new LV is being driven as we speak at Dealer launches and the Powershift is amazing!!! You SERIOUSLY have to drive it to believe it. I'd heard all the hype about the DSG in VW Golfs, but it is THAT sharp, quick and responsive, it is almost instant gearshifts. The car changes gears before the speedo needle has time to move! At the same time, even under full throttle acceleration, you can't FEEL the gear changes.

I'm a changed man.
Not having experienced a DSG, compare it to the ZF. I take it that the PowerShift comes across favourably.

What is the country of origin for the Diesels? South Africa like the N/A Petrol models, or Germany?
Old 26-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im VERY interested to read about this also.....

More info please

Also, when does this become available? any particular on sale date yet? or still Q1 2009 ?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I drive a G6 and just had a G6E, both with ZF and around 7,000km total so far in about 4 months. I had a turbo ute before that with the ZF.

I'd take the Powershift before you even finished asking the question. Over the ZF. It's that good.

Diesels come from South Africa too - at least they're assembled there but many of the parts come from the same source as the European vehicles, including the engines and transmissions.
Old 26-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Regarding availability, there are no more details at this stage other than what's quoted in the article, Q1 2009.
Old 26-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I drive a G6 and just had a G6E, both with ZF and around 7,000km total so far in about 4 months. I had a turbo ute before that with the ZF.

I'd take the Powershift before you even finished asking the question. Over the ZF. It's that good.

Diesels come from South Africa too - at least they're assembled there but many of the parts come from the same source as the European vehicles, including the engines and transmissions.
Which won't change when Ford builds them here in Australia.

If Burela really is serious about keeping the lights on at Geelong, you would have to hope he has considered building the Focus's motor/drive train at Geelong, alongside the Barra.

But I digress.

I might have to go out and kick the tyres of a Volkswagen now. You have me intrigued, because the ZF in my X5 is infallible. It is a serious and sensational step above the Borg Warner 4 Speed in my Falcon.
Old 26-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are leasing a family sized car in march, and trading both of our other cars in on something... was looking at a Focus 07 Zetec or Ghia auto, but, if a Powershift comes to the party, then we might well be better off just checking that out...... Damn you Matt, getting things into my head....! The wife will kill me...

Quote:
I might have to go out and kick the tyres of a Volkswagen now. You have me intrigued, because the ZF in my X5 is infallible. It is a serious and sensational step above the Borg Warner 4 Speed in my Falcon.
My old boss has a Jetta diesel... and the gearchanges in it were sensational. Its into 2nd or 3rd gear, before you even know its moving.... hardly detectable gearchanges apart from the slightly lower noise level. If the powershift is even remotely like that, then Ford are definitely on a winner. This would most likely pave the way for Ford to introduce that into Mondeo with the 2.2 as well
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
AG3

Quote:
You guys in NZ get the German built Focus. We in Australia get ours from South Africa, which hasn't changed its shape yet. Australia got an ASEAN Focus, with an altered front bumper (this happened when we got the Diesel as well). As seen on the Ford website.
The current "outgoing" Australian Focus (from South Africa) looks similar to the old ASEAN Focus, I wonder if the 2009 Australian Focus will look like the recently launched 2009 ASEAN Focus.

2009 ASEAN Focus

Unlike the German built Focus, it uses the old sides without the sharp crease.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
I have the same ZF in my G6., it's awesome.

But the Powershift is better still. Smoother and more intuituve when I didn't think that was possible. Simply because it has a massive advantage, it's dual clutch and hence there's really no fair comparison between the two.