Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Default HID Headlights into 99' Classic

Hey Guys,
I recently met someone that had genuine HID headlights in his car and am now curious about them.
I'm just wondering if there are any laws that state that I cannot run HID Headlights for all my beams.

I would like to run a combination [H4] High/Low Beamed HID as well as the separate [H1] High Beamed HID.

I am currently running 100w/80w 6000K Halogens, but they tend to build up quite a bit of heat and I would like to put in the best globes that I am able to, to help on the country drives.

A FULL HID setup is going to set me back around $300.00 and I think that it will be worth my time and expense, provided there are no laws against running HIDs in an AU Falcon.

I am also running Altezza Headlights.

The HID kits that I have been looking, state that they are for use in AU Falcons

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

CHHERS,

Dave

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Default Re: HID Headlights into 99' Classic

I don't know if this helps at all being QLD law, but this is an extract from the RACQ website regarding headlights but follow accordance of ADR or Australia Design Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACQ
High Intensity Discharge lamps

HID headlamps are becoming increasingly popular as original equipment on new cars. They are a gas discharge lamp that produces light by means of an electric arc between two electrodes housed inside a transparent quartz envelope. They are electrically more efficient and have a higher light output compared to conventional incandescent lights because a greater proportion of their radiation is in visible light as opposed to heat. The light they emit may appear to have a blue tinge, particularly around the peripheries of the beam, but it is actually whiter than that produced by a standard halogen lamp.

Due to their higher light output, HID lamps must comply with a specific set of Australian Design Rules. These include specifics as to light colour, proportions of specified light wavelengths (including blue wavelengths) and ultra violet (UV) emissions.

Self levelling systems and headlight washers are also required to off-set the increased risk of dazzling other drivers.

Vehicle manufacturers sometimes refer to HID lamps as Xenon or Bi-Xenon lamps. However these should not be confused with conventional incandescent bulbs that use xenon gas in their glass envelope.

Aftermarket HID conversions

Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore illegal for road use and are likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.
Hope this helps somewhat. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread though if a headlight mod comes out of it. You'll have to post start-to-finish pictures for tutorial purposes.

Last edited by Teknoslasher; 12-11-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Addition of information.
Teknoslasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the self leveling part of the ADR makes it a no go. I had thought of this myself but I can see the reasoning of the ADRs involved so decided to give it a miss.
These things are bright and if not setup as intended can be dangerous to oncoming motorists

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoslasher View Post
I don't know if this helps at all being QLD law, but this is an extract from the RACQ website regarding headlights but follow accordance of ADR or Australia Design Rules.

Hope this helps somewhat. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread though if a headlight mod comes out of it. You'll have to post start-to-finish pictures for tutorial purposes.

Cheers Tekno

That is some valuable info right there mate. You would really expect this article to be appropriate around the whole country, but like most things, there are some Bi-Laws

I'm not looking at converting to HID for no reason and this should only really be done if traveling a lot of KMs on country roads/highways

If I lived in a major city, then it would honestly just be a waste of time and expense.
Since I live 3hrs north of Adelaide and spend much time driving to Adelaide and back, then if this conversion is at all possible, then I'm gonna make it happen

I may even phone the guys at Regency and see what info they can give me also

I'm just wondering how the sellers can get away with selling these, if they are not legally allowed to be used in our model vehicles :(
The below link is in fact for HIDs and are supposed to be for use in the Falcon AU/BA/XR6/XR8/GT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190360006...84.m1423.l2649

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Last edited by DRAGN6; 12-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Glad it was of help to you. I often wonder about these kinds of things (like selling bongs whilst smoking pot is illegal). I guess that they may have some off road application that the market can cater for.

There are plenty of guys that have modified their headlights to suit them though; I've also contemplated putting them in my car mainly for the look but if I were to do it, it'd have to be done properly as I wouldn't want to be pulled over by the one cop that does check headlights.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Glad it was of help to you. I often wonder about these kinds of things (like selling bongs whilst smoking pot is illegal). I guess that they may have some off road application that the market can cater for.

There are plenty of guys that have modified their headlights to suit them though; I've also contemplated putting them in my car mainly for the look but if I were to do it, it'd have to be done properly as I wouldn't want to be pulled over by the one cop that does check headlights.
I couldn't agree more mate

I was pulled over by the cops on my way back from Adelaide one night and thought that it was because of my Blue LED Parkers and the fact that I had my driving lights turned on during a semi clear evening. NOPE, I was pulled over for breatho LOL

It was my local sarge, so I asked him about the LED parkers and he said that because they were non-invasive, I could use them and as for the driving lights, he said not to turn them off, because they are there to be used and so I could used them
You hadn't seen a more confused person than I, after he had said that

I WILL suss how to be able to legally and safely run these HIDs, but wont contemplate it until I do have every detail sussed.

ALL info is helpful

CHEERS Guys

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

I'll see what I can dig up on the issue as well as it is something that I am keen to do as well. One website with a moderate amount of information is http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. May be worthwhile checking.

Will keep my eyes peeled.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

Basically, legal modified factory lights with HID = not possible, without a swimming pool of money.
The ADRs that need to be met are not easy, and certainly not cheap, to meet.

One way you could possibly do it is with a new 25w (D5S/D8S) HID system.
They are capped at 2000 lumen, which is the limit for requiring auto leveling and headlight washers.

If you do a projector retrofit, the chances of being pulled over are very slim, unless you draw attention to yourself.
I've had mine fitted for over a year now and haven't had a second look. ...and never been flashed.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Basically, legal modified factory lights with HID = not possible, without a swimming pool of money.
The ADRs that need to be met are not easy, and certainly not cheap, to meet.

One way you could possibly do it is with a new 25w (D5S/D8S) HID system.
They are capped at 2000 lumen, which is the limit for requiring auto leveling and headlight washers.

If you do a projector retrofit, the chances of being pulled over are very slim, unless you draw attention to yourself.
I've had mine fitted for over a year now and haven't had a second look. ...and never been flashed.
You're the perfect guy for this topic MAD with your E-Series. I still want to know how to made the light change to red... ;)

How many Lumen does your system output?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

I added a couple of LEDs to make them glow red. They're only really visible in low light.
I have a separate switch in the fuse box to turn them on/off.

The Philips 85122+ bulb, I use, is rated at 3200 lumen.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
I added a couple of LEDs to make them glow red. They're only really visible in low light.
I have a separate switch in the fuse box to turn them on/off.

The Philips 85122+ bulb, I use, is rated at 3200 lumen.
You've just opened up so many possibilities for me, I just have to wait for my bloody strip lights to get here.

I guess the main benefit of doing an AU is all of that prep work is basically cut to nil instead of having the sand the glass ribbing off of the lens like you had to.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
MAD
Petro-sexual

Yes! Clear lenses make easy work.

Good example of an AU retrofit here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367815
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Wowwwwww MAD, you got some good info there mate.

Now, just on topic of what you said about 'legal modified factory lights with HID = not possible, would that the the same with the Altezza Headlights??

I DO actually run the BLUE LED Parker, would that maybe, be enough to diffuse the light as you have done with the RED??

I have been researching self leveling lights etc for the Falcons, but only finding stuff on the FG pretty much.

I was looking at the 35W High/Low Beam Combo and the 55w separate High Beam.

For those that are not familar with the Altezza headlights, then below are a couple of photos of what they look like.

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Last edited by DRAGN6; 12-11-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I did this very exercise 3 years ago and after speaking to not only the relevant state but also the federal dept. regarding HIDs' and ADRs', the only law I could find, and the advise I got, (and I'm paraphrasing here), was the one that said you can't put HIDs' in your low beam without the self levelling, (either automatic or manually from inside the cabin), and washers, but you CAN put them in your high beams. So I now have 55w HIDs' rated at 4200 lumens in my Fairlanes high beams and the same in my wife's Wagon. On the wagon they had the effect of making her 100w spotlights redundant as the HID's out shone them so I took them off. I also spoke to my insurance company (CGU) about it and they didn't have a problem either and I've since switched companies and the new ins. co. (Shannons) doesn't have a problem with them either. Run 55w HID in your H1's and stick to a good quality +50 or +80 55w H4 for your low/high and you won't have a problem. Just make sure you spend the money to get a decent quality HID kit and don't just buy the cheaper chinese kits off of ebay as you really do get what you pay for. PM me if you want some info on my experiences.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

Drift66, The altezza lights should already be ADR approved, but if you change them from what they are, then they will no longer be compliant.

Bushbasher, I'm pretty sure manual leveling is not enough, it must be automatic, and they must also have headlight washers.
One of the ADR tests the lens is made dirty, to a known level of dirtiness, then the washers must remove x% of the dirt with one wash.

The new Focus ST3 uses Osram 25w D8S bulbs, and ballasts, to avoid the need for washers and leveling.

Phillips have also made a 25w system. Theirs is D5S, with an all in one ballast/ignitor that mounts to the back of the bulb.

I guess until LED's get better and become cheaper, the 25w HID system is a way to reduce electrical load while retaining better-than-halogen performance
Old 14-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

I can't seem to find any information about the self levelling mechanism -other than people saying not to retrofit H.I.D. lenses. Found a picture of a VW GTi utilising it's washing function.

I wonder if one can get away with running a separate washer bottle and getting some jets off of say a Toyota Camry that have a multi-spray pattern to them and attaching them to the bumper would work.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the washer is the easy part. it's the self leveling that makes it a no go proposition. even if someone made a self leveling mod aftermarket it would need ADR aproval before they would be legal
Quote:
I can't seem to find any information about the self levelling mechanism -other than people saying not to retrofit H.I.D. lenses. Found a picture of a VW GTi utilising it's washing function.

I wonder if one can get away with running a separate washer bottle and getting some jets off of say a Toyota Camry that have a multi-spray pattern to them and attaching them to the bumper would work.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 14-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
the washer is the easy part. it's the self leveling that makes it a no go proposition. even if someone made a self leveling mod aftermarket it would need ADR aproval before they would be legal
And that's exactly the reason that I am currently giving up on this idea :(

I'm still gonna be doing some research on this topic, but am not rushing to fit them into my car yet

It's gotta be legal or NOTHING for me

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Old 15-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Not that its of much use being manual levelling, but there's a write-up of rheostat levelling in a VW Jetta which may have some useful info. http://www.communityhosting.net/Jetta/oemhid/
Old 15-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Hella have an aftermarket auto leveling kit that uses ultrasonic sensors to measure suspension travel. From memory it was in the vicinity of $400-$500, but as mentioned, it still wont get you ADR approval.
Old 15-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Hella have an aftermarket auto leveling kit that uses ultrasonic sensors to measure suspension travel. From memory it was in the vicinity of $400-$500, but as mentioned, it still wont get you ADR approval.
That's ridiculous isn't it?? Not the price!! ........... The fact that even after doing what is required to be done, to be able to run the HIDs, they're still not ADR approved

IT SUCKS

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Old 15-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

I don't think it's quite as you think.
The kit is available, yes, but it's probably more aimed at vehicle builders, who would go through the correct processes to gain certification.

http://www.europeanperformanceproduc...-.html/cat/109
Old 15-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift66 View Post
That's ridiculous isn't it?? Not the price!! ........... The fact that even after doing what is required to be done, to be able to run the HIDs, they're still not ADR approved

IT SUCKS
not really, to get ADR approval you need extensive testing this can not be acheived easily on a kit that can be fitted to many vehicle types . HID lights not correctly fitted are a danger to other motorists so they need to be fitted in accordance with the relevant ADRs. I have had illegal HIDs coming at me and have had to pull over for 5 minutes as I had a spot in my vision caused by the excessive brightness I was lucky to be able to pull over without incident. these things can be dangerous

Rides: