Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Is the G-Series selling best?

Just that I've seen FG G-Series everywhere, and only a handful of FG other models combined.
There's one parked around the corner of my street, one came up behind me on the way home tonight, one parked just about every day outside a tuck shop where I walk past every lunchtime, one parked in the carpark of the building next door at work, and many more elsewhere.
Perhaps its just a ploy to get me into one?

Seriously though, I just wonder the proportion of G-Series being sold to other FG models?

Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where i live ive seen one G6E that lives around here somewhere, but ive seen quite alot of XR's
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
3vXT

I was thinking the same about NA XR6's. Except for one XT (i think) and one super pursuit, the only FG's i've seen are XR6's. I haven't seen heaps, probably 15 or there abouts, but 13 XR6's, one XT, one Super Pursuit and no G series FG's seems an odd mix.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I've seen a mix, a couple of G6, a G6E, a couple of XTs an XR6 and a few XR6, an XR8 and a few lower spec utes. Plus I spotted a black F6 this morning.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen lots of G6's and XR's, but no XT's yet!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I've mostly seen NA XR6's and XT's but a guy around the corner from me just picked up a silver GT-P and i saw a nice black G6E-T getting around, on 20's... mmmmm
Saw a couple of other FG GT's too.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish I saw all models more regularly.
See far too many Corollas for my liking.

When I do see an FG, I admittedly do get quite excited, and reckon they look so good on the road.

Was at a party tonight and people saying how crap Falcons look (just to get into me), but I honestly cannot see the appeal in the VE. That is with an unbiased view. I think it's hideous. But that's only my opinion. But I maintain, unbiased.

The G6E looks fantastic, and people who go for Mercs and Beamers over the G6E are in my insignificant opinion, financially stupid, haven't truly shopped around, and incredibly superficial in that they worry more about the badge on their car than anything else.

If I had all the money in the world, I would still stick with my Aussie cars. They're great bang for buck. They also look nice.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
...The G6E looks fantastic, and people who go for Mercs and Beamers over the G6E are in my insignificant opinion, financially stupid, haven't truly shopped around, and incredibly superficial in that they worry more about the badge on their car than anything else.
Bold added for emphasis.

People I know who buy their cars do so not because they are stuck on a brand, nor are they financially stupid (very much the opposite), but because the quality in comparison doesn't stack up. They buy a car that ticks their boxes irrespective on what brand it is. I often drive a current model C Class, and money aside, in comparison to the G6E for both quality and options included the G6E, whilst much improved, still doesn't come close.

Perhaps you need to get out and actually experience driving other vehicles and base your opinions at least a little bit, on the real world.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Bold added for emphasis.

People I know who buy their cars do so not because they are stuck on a brand, nor are they financially stupid (very much the opposite), but because the quality in comparison doesn't stack up. They buy a car that ticks their boxes irrespective on what brand it is. I often drive a current model C Class, and money aside, in comparison to the G6E for both quality and options included the G6E, whilst much improved, still doesn't come close.

Perhaps you need to get out and actually experience driving other vehicles and base your opinions at least a little bit, on the real world.

Exactly, BMW's Merc etc ahead in the quality or materials and construction, you can see where the money goes in a merc or BMW...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually our G6ET is the first Ford I've owned where others of non-Ford (and mostly euro) driving brands have asked many times "what's it like?" The front end "bling" certainly has made the Falcon far more noticeable and given the car an air of class not seen in past models.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

around here ive seen tons of XR's mainly XR6, one F6 and one G6..have to say that F6 made my jaw drop when i saw it drive through the carpark at work, thats one sexy car.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Mate come to Cairns.

They are all N/A XR6s up here. one or two G series...No FPVs and all the XTs are thrifty rent cars.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know when the Taxi Fleets are gonna pick them up? That way everyone is going to get a feel for them, if not as a driver, as a passenger. That way everyone will see it for the great car it is.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Does anyone know when the Taxi Fleets are gonna pick them up? That way everyone is going to get a feel for them, if not as a driver, as a passenger. That way everyone will see it for the great car it is.
I've seen an FG cab about 20 times in Sydney CBD and North Sydney.

Keep in mind most cabbies get their cars from ex govt auctions.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Mareeba the only FG's that i've seen are 2 G6E's, 1 G6ET, several XR6 and XR6T's (utes and sedans). heaps of G6 hirecars from thristy also
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately Ive seen way too many Camry's around but I have also seen a few XT's around the place as well as XR's, G6's and even a few offerings from FPV
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I see a lot of utes. A few G6E's and G6E-T's, few XR8, not many XT's though. Only seen maybe 5 XT's. But yeah mainly base and xr6 utes- seen stacks of them.

I actually saw my first BF3 that i know of the other day at the shopping centre carpark, i though it was a resprayed BA from behind, I picked the odd paint colour, looked like Ice Mint Silver, but darker, I then noticed the MK3 badge on the tailgate. Actually to be honest it looked like an EA colour, and well it wasnt a terrribly good advertisement for Ford.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 06-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
dandandandan

I live 5 mins away from the ford and prodrive factories so I've seen every FG available on the road zip by in high numbers.

Usually on my way to work I see the same orange FG XR8 ute followed by a silver and red XR6 N/A, then after that it's followed by a gorgeous silver GT-E.

Mighty jealous of these people haha.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a lot of XR6's(N/A) and XT's. I do see the odd G6E and GT though.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
GTP290

Stick to Aussie cars, we bought a low mileage Alfa 156 for the misses a year ago, in that time frame we spent nearly 4000 dollars in repairs and maintenence. Great car to drive and fantastic interior and looked horn, but it was so unreliable, it was giving us more grief than enjoyment.
I saw a GT parked on the side of the road in the city last week in red with black stripes,what a great colour combo!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford have been selling a higher percentage of the upper class cars than they have before on previous models.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford have been selling a higher percentage of the upper class cars than they have before on previous models.
Do you have any idea what sort of percentage, Boss?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am i correct in assuming that they would be having a much higher profit margin from selling the upper class cars?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

All up, I've seen about 4 G6Es and 2 XRs on the road. I've only seen 2 XTs. I would have expected to see more XTs on the road. Maybe they are out there, but do a good job of blending in due to their conservative styling.

Quote:
The G6E looks fantastic, and people who go for Mercs and Beamers over the G6E are in my insignificant opinion, financially stupid, haven't truly shopped around, and incredibly superficial in that they worry more about the badge on their car than anything else.
You also need to look at resale value though. A G series Falcon is going to depreciate a lot faster than the German equivalent. Not that I'd buy a BMW or Merc over a G6ET. But I think depreciation would scare some people.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Bold added for emphasis.

Been in C200 Kompressor, and didn't like it.
Prefer the VTII way more.
Father also drove it, and agreed.

I'm not completely in fairy-land. I'll admit my experience in vehicles wouldn't be a bee's willy compared to you most likely, but it doesn't make what little I have completely invalid.

I also am aware of my status here, so I make light of it, hence the "insignificant" tag which I wrote myself. Hope you enjoyed the worm.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
All up, I've seen about 4 G6Es and 2 XRs on the road. I've only seen 2 XTs. I would have expected to see more XTs on the road. Maybe they are out there, but do a good job of blending in due to their conservative styling.

You also need to look at resale value though. A G series Falcon is going to depreciate a lot faster than the German equivalent. Not that I'd buy a BMW or Merc over a G6ET. But I think depreciation would scare some people.
The Commodore is beating the pants off the Falcon at the moment in terms of sales, so it isn't bothering people all that much in that instance.

It's perception, and Holden's competent marketing that helps form that image.

People say how average the Corolla is compared to other cars in the same class, but people flock towards the Corolla. As I said, perception.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Do you have any idea what sort of percentage, Boss?
No idea.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
yanknbank
Very regular

Here in Mildura, FG's are still pretty thin on the ground. I've seen a black XR8, an ego G6, a ego G6E, a burgundy colored G6E and an ego G6ET (mine, when the kids drive it). And that's it.
yanknbank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
...I also am aware of my status here, so I make light of it, hence the "insignificant" tag which I wrote myself. Hope you enjoyed the worm.
I don't fish (a long story involving a 20 foot wave, a crazy skipper and a radio.... I'll tell you sometime), but I do react to people taking cheap shots at others choices and implying they are stupid because of decisions they made because they don't conform to the posters own opinions. You can make outrageous opinions without casting dispersions.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #30
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
The Commodore is beating the pants off the Falcon at the moment in terms of sales, so it isn't bothering people all that much in that instance.

It's perception, and Holden's competent marketing that helps form that image.

People say how average the Corolla is compared to other cars in the same class, but people flock towards the Corolla. As I said, perception.
My point was the fact that German cars will hold their value significantly better than domestic equivalents - redeeming a small portion of their buyers' 'financial stupidity'. I do agree that perception plays a massive role these days. I know people that bought the 3 series largely to feel (in their words) "more superior" on the road. And as far as Holden goes, it's funny how they can shift hundreds of Barinas when Daewoo couldn't shift exactly the same car with a different badge during their stint in Australia.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post