Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
markb

Default Picked up the XR8 - few questions Interior/Insurance?

Hi,

I picked up the Galaxy blue (I think)AUIIXR8 ute today, drives very nicely down the M4 and I was pretty chuffed with the way it sounds and goes. Not bad for an old girl.

The tonneau is not too bad but needs a few loops and it's the sports bar one so that's a little annoying so either new ebay tonneau or get a sports bar.

And this killed me...I didn't notice during any of my inspections and I have no idea why but the headlining on the passenger side is all droopy... Is this an easy fix..FFS! I cannot beleive I missed that!

Also Can anyone tell me who's cheapest with insurance for these.
36 y/o male, no accidents, max no claim.

AAMI $1956
NRMA $1230

All seem a bit steep but since it's got mods..exhaust/extractors and lowered suspension I might need to find someone else.

And yes..pics will be on the way :-)

markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

wow that insurance is a bit steep, I'd ring around for more quotes if i were you
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Holy crap! I am paying less than that for insurance on my XR8 and I am 22!!! Shop around dude.

As for the lining, some kind of spray adhesive would be the go I reckon.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Try Shannons for Insurance, hoodling is fixable but it might be fiddly.

New tonneaus go on Ebay for less than $100.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Try Shannons for Insurance, hoodling is fixable but it might be fiddly.

New tonneaus go on Ebay for less than $100.
Found much cheaper quote.. $770 thought I had some doozies.

The tonneaus on ebay are abotu $135 + $18-22 shipping so not quite that cheap - I wish.

the hooding..geez I am sure someone here will have attempted it. It's just weird looking. I can forgive it though as the rest of the car is very good.

Now all I need to do is get the pics of my phone!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
whiskers
gone fishing

[/QUOTE]passenger side is all droopy[QUOTE]

I have tried the old spray glue on the lining it only holds up for a while and then lets go again, what happens is the thin layer of foam on the lining board (which is like cardboard) starts to break down and no matter how much you spray,glue or even staple it will still come down its just age.

I can remember reading on here sometime ago that one of the bloke re did his lining somehow.

Get a quote to get a new roof lining from a motor vehicle trimmer. I had mine done late last year for a series 1 sedan and it wasn't much over $100 the bloke I took it to had run out of the S1 lining so I ended up with the S2 and it look really good.

any way all the best with it
cheers
whiskers
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
markb

passenger side is all droopy
Quote:

I have tried the old spray glue on the lining it only holds up for a while and then lets go again, what happens is the thin layer of foam on the lining board (which is like cardboard) starts to break down and no matter how much you spray,glue or even staple it will still come down its just age.

I can remember reading on here sometime ago that one of the bloke re did his lining somehow.

Get a quote to get a new roof lining from a motor vehicle trimmer. I had mine done late last year for a series 1 sedan and it wasn't much over $100 the bloke I took it to had run out of the S1 lining so I ended up with the S2 and it look really good.

any way all the best with it
cheers
whiskers
Thanks..I'll shop around a few places today and get it done.

Insurance is the big drama currently..soon as I say extractors/exhaust/lowered I've had most of them say no thanks we won't.

It's like WTF! I'm 36 years old not 18!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
whiskers
gone fishing

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=insurance

have a look at this thread go to the last one on the page it may help

cheers
whiskers
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just Car insurance are pretty good that's who i'm with.
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Another vote for Shannons here!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
BillC

As for the head lining. My mate has a ute and the lining was falling down. He is an apprentice and has no money so we pulled the board out and stripped the lining off it and painstakingly removed the padding under the liner. We then spray painted it. We painted it black but you could paint it any colour you want. It came up looking very good. just another option.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Expensive insurance quotes you have there, i payed $1700 p/year last year but am about to renew this year for about $1100 with AAMI. BTW i have a T2 TE50.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
markb

Shannons..insurance sorted now the roof needs to be sorted out...

The wheel scuffing is annoying me too but I'll have a look at that today.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

If you have pics of this droppy roof liner we may be able to suggest some things. But for your info to remove the liner in a ute, or in any au, you need to remove the A, B and C pillar covers (simply pull), remove the dome light, unscrew and remove both sun visors, unscrew and remove the passenger grab handle and then unfold the edges of the door rubber that the liner sits in.

Now with the dome light it is easy to take out. However you will need to remove the plastic cover first. Once done remove the light globe. Then find a suitable sized screw driver and place in inbetween the light surround and the liner and pry away from the roof. It is held is by just clips, not pop rivits like it looks. Then disconnect the wiring and your done.

Another option on what BillC was saying, is that i have taken my liner out and sprayed it black with VHT vinyl/carpet dye, along with all other grey roof componetns. So now i have a full black interior. I'll get some better photo's soonish, but for now this is the only photo i have of my liner

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
BillC

Yes, painting the board looks great when its done. We painted my mates black as well and we only used black enamal paint. It worked real well. I like the contrast between the black and the grey of the sun visors and handles.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
wow that insurance is a bit steep, I'd ring around for more quotes if i were you
Compared to WA yeah it would be expensive. Insurance premiums (city ones) are way higher in NSW than most other states.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
If you have pics of this droppy roof liner we may be able to suggest some things. But for your info to remove the liner in a ute, or in any au, you need to remove the A, B and C pillar covers (simply pull), remove the dome light, unscrew and remove both sun visors, unscrew and remove the passenger grab handle and then unfold the edges of the door rubber that the liner sits in.

Now with the dome light it is easy to take out. However you will need to remove the plastic cover first. Once done remove the light globe. Then find a suitable sized screw driver and place in inbetween the light surround and the liner and pry away from the roof. It is held is by just clips, not pop rivits like it looks. Then disconnect the wiring and your done.

Another option on what BillC was saying, is that i have taken my liner out and sprayed it black with VHT vinyl/carpet dye, along with all other grey roof componetns. So now i have a full black interior. I'll get some better photo's soonish, but for now this is the only photo i have of my liner

Cheers
Excellent thanks for the info...now I rang around a few auto trimmers and they are all quoting me around $170-$180 to do it.

I have booked in for late next week to get it done so if anyone knows of any alternate solutions then let me know.

With the spraying I am assuming you are spraying over the fabric or is the fabric removed and you just have the bare liner?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
BillC

You remove the liner and literally rub the foam off. You are then left with a cardboard or fibre product that you spray with whatever colour you like. Trust me it looks great in the end. I have an XR8 that I treat like a baby but if my lining ever goes thats what i am going to do. I think I will paint mine a light grey though. It looks like a bought one after its finished. Two can of spray enamel and a couple of hours of mucking around.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
You remove the liner and literally rub the foam off. You are then left with a cardboard or fibre product that you spray with whatever colour you like. Trust me it looks great in the end. I have an XR8 that I treat like a baby but if my lining ever goes thats what i am going to do. I think I will paint mine a light grey though. It looks like a bought one after its finished. Two can of spray enamel and a couple of hours of mucking around.
That just sounds crazy and I can't beleive it would actually look good but it sounds like you know what you are on about.

I guess it could be worth a try and if it turns pear shaped I can always drop it into the trimmers...
Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
whiskers
gone fishing

mate if you are thinking of painting the lining, why not go to the wreckers and get a lining from there. imo it would be far far better to do that than painting it, you have just dished out a few gran for this car why spoil it. but its up to you

cheers
whiskers
Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers
mate if you are thinking of painting the lining, why not go to the wreckers and get a lining from there. imo it would be far far better to do that than painting it, you have just dished out a few gran for this car why spoil it. but its up to you

cheers
whiskers
I'm going to pull off the lining, try and refit the lining assuming the foam is okay first.

if it fails I might see if I can get a ute lining (good idea) don't know why anyone hadn't mentioned it :-)

2nd will attempt the spray painting.

3rd to the motor trimmers and get them to refit with new fabric etc..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Burley
CRE.87V

hey im a trimmer near bathurst..u cant reglue them back up..if u do it will fall back down and be harder to glue new velour on it....as the dried out glue will show throught the new lining in most cases....just strip it out out ute, strip old lining take it into trimmer they should only charge 90 bucks and just wen u refit leave it 4 bit just ncase u put fingerprint marks into it when its still wet....if u were round bathurst i could have given u a hand
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #23
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burley
hey im a trimmer near bathurst..u cant reglue them back up..if u do it will fall back down and be harder to glue new velour on it....as the dried out glue will show throught the new lining in most cases....just strip it out out ute, strip old lining take it into trimmer they should only charge 90 bucks and just wen u refit leave it 4 bit just ncase u put fingerprint marks into it when its still wet....if u were round bathurst i could have given u a hand
Gday..I wish I knew where all you cheap motor trimmers are..

but the cheaper price $90 I assume is is I strip it and re-install and they just supply the new fabric and do the repair?